Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Vijay »

Zaarin wrote:
Vijay wrote:Creek has [θ] and not [ɬ]? :?

EDIT: Woods Cree does have [ð], which apparently comes from Proto-Cree *l.
Maybe it's not Creek; maybe it's Choctaw-Chickasaw. At least one Muskogean language has ɬ > θ, anyway.
Some speakers of Choctaw pronounce /ɬ/ as [θ] (whereas others just have [ɬ]), so I guess it's an ongoing change rather than one that's been completed.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Zaarin wrote:Maybe it's not Creek; maybe it's Choctaw-Chickasaw. At least one Muskogean language has ɬ > θ, anyway.
If I'm remembering Booker's 2005 paper "Muskogean Historical Phonology" right, it was the other way around in Eastern Muskogean.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Vijay wrote:Creek has [θ] and not [ɬ]? :?

EDIT: Woods Cree does have [ð], which apparently comes from Proto-Cree *l.
Creek and Cree are utterly different languages.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I know they're utterly different languages, but it did remind me of the fact that Woods Cree has that anyway.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

Is /ʀ/ :> /ɣ/ :> /ɰ/ attested?
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

I don't know about that but /ʀ/ :> /ʁ̞/ :> /ɰ/ happened in Réunion Creole in most varieties in coda position and in some varieties in all positions.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

In Krio, <r> is pronounced [ɣ], and apparently, this comes from what was originally an imitation of German missionaries using a voiced uvular continuant. IINM Maghrebi French also uses that sound for <r>. I also thought [ɰ] was the typical African French pronunciation of <r>.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

For African French, it might depend on the mother tongue. From people from the mainland continent, I'm more used to [r] but I suppose the velar approximant is possible as well.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Is Vh > ə plausible?
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I'd think that happened in two stages.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Note that I'm going for weird here, but does this stretch plausibility too much?

K>Q
T>K
Vɴ>Ṽ
ɴ>ʔ
ŋ>n

K=kgŋ
Q=qɢɴ
T=tdn

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

Zaarin wrote:Is Vh > ə plausible?
Probably, assuming it's before a consonant or word-final - I bet it'd go something like this:

Vh > Və̯ > ə

Or (though this would affect vowels before all consonants) vowels in closed syllables could shorten, and then all short vowels could reduce to /ə/, and then /h/ could drop.
Zaarin wrote:Note that I'm going for weird here, but does this stretch plausibility too much?

K>Q
T>K
Vɴ>Ṽ
ɴ>ʔ
ŋ>n

K=kgŋ
Q=qɢɴ
T=tdn
The first two changes seem like a plausible extension of the t > k > q/ʔ shift, which is attested in a number of languages.

The third change is entirely unremarkable.

Tahitian underwent ŋ > ʔ, so a uvular > glottal change seems entirely plausible. And Hawai'ian underwent ŋ > n.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Porphyrogenitos wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Is Vh > ə plausible?
Probably, assuming it's before a consonant or word-final - I bet it'd go something like this:

Vh > Və̯ > ə

Or (though this would affect vowels before all consonants) vowels in closed syllables could shorten, and then all short vowels could reduce to /ə/, and then /h/ could drop.
Zaarin wrote:Note that I'm going for weird here, but does this stretch plausibility too much?

K>Q
T>K
Vɴ>Ṽ
ɴ>ʔ
ŋ>n

K=kgŋ
Q=qɢɴ
T=tdn
The first two changes seem like a plausible extension of the t > k > q/ʔ shift, which is attested in a number of languages.

The third change is entirely unremarkable.

Tahitian underwent ŋ > ʔ, so a uvular > glottal change seems entirely plausible. And Hawai'ian underwent ŋ > n.
Thanks. In the first change I'm looking for a more or less complete collapse and restructuring of the vowel system, so that works.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

I think we might need to take into consideration the number of phonemes in the language's phoneme inventory: ŋ > ʔ is certainly viable but is perhaps easier to imagine in a language with a grand total of nine consonants than a language with 4 times that number.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

jmcd wrote:I think we might need to take into consideration the number of phonemes in the language's phoneme inventory: ŋ > ʔ is certainly viable but is perhaps easier to imagine in a language with a grand total of nine consonants than a language with 4 times that number.
Well, the language went through a total velar-to-uvular shift, including ŋ > ɴ. I'm aware /ɴ/ is an unstable phoneme at best; I don't want it to revert to /ŋ/ (or /n/) and I don't want it to become /ɢ/ (which already collapsed into /q/). /ʔ/ seemed like the likeliest end result. I don't recall the exact number of phonemes, but it's basically /N p pʰ b k kʰ g q qʰ ʔ s x h j w ɮ/. N is an archiphoneme usually realized as [n] but assimilating to the point of articulation of a following consonant.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Zaarin wrote:Well, the language went through a total velar-to-uvular shift, including ŋ > ɴ. I'm aware /ɴ/ is an unstable phoneme at best; I don't want it to revert to /ŋ/ (or /n/) and I don't want it to become /ɢ/ (which already collapsed into /q/). /ʔ/ seemed like the likeliest end result. I don't recall the exact number of phonemes, but it's basically /N p pʰ b k kʰ g q qʰ ʔ s x h j w ɮ/. N is an archiphoneme usually realized as [n] but assimilating to the point of articulation of a following consonant.
/ɴ/ is unstable, but I don't think [ɴ] "supported" by a following uvular really is. It doesn't need to change.
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Chengjiang wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Well, the language went through a total velar-to-uvular shift, including ŋ > ɴ. I'm aware /ɴ/ is an unstable phoneme at best; I don't want it to revert to /ŋ/ (or /n/) and I don't want it to become /ɢ/ (which already collapsed into /q/). /ʔ/ seemed like the likeliest end result. I don't recall the exact number of phonemes, but it's basically /N p pʰ b k kʰ g q qʰ ʔ s x h j w ɮ/. N is an archiphoneme usually realized as [n] but assimilating to the point of articulation of a following consonant.
/ɴ/ is unstable, but I don't think [ɴ] "supported" by a following uvular really is. It doesn't need to change.
True, and the language has [ɴ], in that /N/ is [m n ŋ ɴ], but /ɴ/ from previous /ŋ/ would be syllable-initial only, since non-initial /ɴ/ had already been deleted after causing nasalation of preceding vowels.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Zaarin wrote:True, and the language has [ɴ], in that /N/ is [m n ŋ ɴ], but /ɴ/ from previous /ŋ/ would be syllable-initial only, since non-initial /ɴ/ had already been deleted after causing nasalation of preceding vowels.
Ah, sorry. I thought the inventory you posted was for the ancestor, not the end result.
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Chengjiang wrote:
Zaarin wrote:True, and the language has [ɴ], in that /N/ is [m n ŋ ɴ], but /ɴ/ from previous /ŋ/ would be syllable-initial only, since non-initial /ɴ/ had already been deleted after causing nasalation of preceding vowels.
Ah, sorry. I thought the inventory you posted was for the ancestor, not the end result.
No, the ancestor had /m n ŋ p pʰ b bʱ t tʰ d dʱ k kʰ g gʱ q qʰ ɢ ɢʱ f s ʃ h ɹ ɬ ɮ/.
Last edited by Zaarin on Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

Zaarin wrote:No, the ancestor had /m n ŋ p pʰ g gʱ t tʰ d dʱ k kʰ g gʱ q qʰ ɢ ɢʱ f s ʃ h ɹ ɬ ɮ/.
Do you mean /b bʱ/ instead of the first /g gʱ/? You have the latter twice.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

StrangerCoug wrote:
Zaarin wrote:No, the ancestor had /m n ŋ p pʰ g gʱ t tʰ d dʱ k kʰ g gʱ q qʰ ɢ ɢʱ f s ʃ h ɹ ɬ ɮ/.
Do you mean /b bʱ/ instead of the first /g gʱ/? You have the latter twice.
Yes. Fixed.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Is vowel breathiness > stop aspiration attested? It's one of those things that makes sense, but upon further looking I haven't gotten anywhere seeing if it's actually something that happens, especially with regards to voiceless stops aspirating.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I am doing the opposite in Middle Laeh Tshyak, where plosive aspiration > vowel breathiness (> vowel diphthongization, a la Khmer).
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

vokzhen wrote:Is vowel breathiness > stop aspiration attested? It's one of those things that makes sense, but upon further looking I haven't gotten anywhere seeing if it's actually something that happens, especially with regards to voiceless stops aspirating.
Vowel breathiness usually comes from aspiration in the first place, so it's kinda hard to tell.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

Benturi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Benturi »

Is the sound change /s/ + voiceless stop > voiceless fricative (e.g., /st/ > /θ/, /sk/ > /x/) attested in some natural language? Caesaraugusta > Zaragoza could be an examßple of /st/ > /θ/ (through Arabic "Saraqusta", I think), but I don't think it was a regular sound change.