Lexicon Building

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
masako
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Lexicon Building

Post by masako »

spanick wrote:next: relief
Kala: tlaho - to ease; to relieve; relief

next: touchscreen; touch panel

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying spring.

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

masako wrote: next: touchscreen; touch panel
Yaas pi fov
fingertip PURP glass
[jaːs˩ pi˩ ɸɔ̰ʔ˨˦]

Next up: abstraction, model

masako also wrote:I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying spring.
Thank you, but why have you gone to such lengths to hide your kind message?

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

sucaeyl wrote:
masako wrote: next: touchscreen; touch panel
Yaas pi fov
fingertip PURP glass
[jaːs˩ pi˩ ɸɔ̰ʔ˨˦]

Next up: abstraction, model
What does purpositive do? "glass for fingertrips"? I like that, and since I seem to have created my language without a dative case, I need to find a way to express dative meanings some other way. I might use the purposiitve constructiion for that (althiough it isnt a case).

Also does -v mark both the tone and the final glottal stop?

answer:

Poswa:

pwebbapa from pwep "plan, fantasy" + bapa "idea, particularly for how to improve something". One could add
waves "model, good example" to make the definition closer to what you proposed but I think that semantic change will carry the meaning away to what you proposed without the addition.

---------------
next:

curly-haired
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

Soap wrote:[What does purpositive do? "glass for fingertrips"? I like that, and since I seem to have created my language without a dative case, I need to find a way to express dative meanings some other way. I might use the purposiitve constructiion for that (althiough it isnt a case).
Yep, that's what I had in mind! And, this language of mine doesn't have morphological case at all, so I don't see why you couldn't have a purposive case!
Soap wrote:Also does -v mark both the tone and the final glottal stop?
More or less–I think of it as a checked tone (and don't forget the creaky voice!) The glottal stop doesn't appear elsewhere. I mark tone with otherwise unused letters more generally, inspired by Hmong orthography. So 'ta', 'tad', 'taj', 'tav' would be [ta˩], [ta˥˩], [ta˥] and [ta̰ʔ˨˦] respectively.
Soap wrote: next:

curly-haired
xbap
[ʃ͡ɸap˩]

This would be some sort of predicate adjective for 'curly'. So,

Xbap
be.curly
kic.
hair

[ʃ͡ɸap˩ kiç˩]
'The hair is curly'

To say something like, 'The man has curly hair', you'd need to relativize 'hair'. Note that relative clauses are internally headed:

Lej
have.PssdT
tojn
REL
xbap
be.curly
kic
hair
fooso.
man

[lɛ˥ tɔn˥ ʃ͡ɸap˩ kiç˩ fɔˑzˑɔ˩]
'The man has curly hair.'

To make that man do something, you'd need to relativize 'man'. Here's 'The curly-haired man spat out the flatbread'. If you're interested, the verb 'have' has undergone a morphophonological tone change to show that its internal argument is the possessor. This is necessary because only internal arguments can head relative clauses:

Cbuuk
spit.out
kifa
flatbread
tojn
REL
lev
have.PssrT
fooso
man
tojn
REL
xbap
be.curly
kic.
hair

[ç͡ɸuːk˩ kiβa˩ tɔn˥ lɛ̰ʔ˨˦ fɔˑzˑɔ˩ tɔn˥ ʃ͡ɸap˩ kiç˩]
'The curly-haired man spat out the flatbread'.

–––––––––––––––––––

Next:
flour

–––––––––––––––––––

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Xinyei:

wvl, wlo-: 'curl'
wlomenei 'curly'

yogv wlomenei
curly hair

yogv yonggeizei wilyvn
the man's hair is curly

yikshii 'flour'

next: 'bake'
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

Nortaneous wrote:next: 'bake'
kadyog kayovg
bake.PT bake.AT
[ka˥˩jɔŋ] [kajɔ̰ʔ˨˦ŋ̩]

Kadyog nara (fa).
bake.PT quiche (1)
[ka˥˩jɔŋ naɾa˩ (ɸa˩)]
'The quiche (was) baked (by me).'

Kayovg fa (nara).
bake.AT 1 (quiche)
[kajɔ̰ʔ˨˦ŋ̩ ɸa˩ (naɾa˩)]
'I baked (the quiche).'

––––––––––––––

Next:
wine tasting

––––––––––––––

Dama Diwan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Dama Diwan »

sucaeyl wrote:Next:wine tasting
mito wawon wija sime

MITO sweet thing
WAWON fermented
WIJA by means of the senses
SIME form an opinion

next: apricot
i kiwa jenon naje, nake, nibe, sake ka:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/omado.sosti.matiko

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Dama Diwan wrote: next: apricot
Tautisca armeniacun, armeniacus, armenis "apricot", from Latin (malum) armeniacum "apricot"

Next: to plough

shanoxilt
Sanci
Sanci

Post by shanoxilt »

More: show
Are we allowed to share vocabulary from invented languages that we are learning?
If so, then here is a Lojban gismu (root word):
plixa -lix-
x1 (agent) plows/furrows/tills [cuts into and turns up] x2 with tool x3 propelled by x4.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

shanoxilt wrote:Are we allowed to share vocabulary from invented languages that we are learning?
If so, then here is a Lojban gismu (root word):
plixa -lix-
x1 (agent) plows/furrows/tills [cuts into and turns up] x2 with tool x3 propelled by x4.
Well, the original idea was to expand the lexicon of our own conlangs, but I don't see any harm in posting words from conlangs you are learning.
But in any case, you need to give a next word, so someone else can continue.

Dama Diwan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Dama Diwan »

hwhatting wrote: Tautisca armeniacun, armeniacus, armenis "apricot", from Latin (malum) armeniacum "apricot"

Next: to plough
I expected something more "innovative" than the mere scientific name. Anyway, Dama freely accepts all scientific names as they are, and adds a description when they are introduced. So for "apricot" I was thinking a description like "WAKE NAIMO WAUKO NUTO" ("sexual flesh appearance yellow fruit"), because from one side it looks like a girl's genitals while from another side it looks like a glans penis. But yes, I would first give the scientific name.
For ploughing, that is included in a theatrical play I 've written with the Qain and Habel story; at those times, ploughing was a great invention, called JUJA NAWE (JUJA=by pulling, NAWE=digging).
I am thinking about electricity; we can of course borrow the international term "electric", but are there any original terms for "electric"? And if possible, explain also a term for "electronic".
So,

next: electric

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Dama Diwan wrote:
hwhatting wrote: Tautisca armeniacun, armeniacus, armenis "apricot", from Latin (malum) armeniacum "apricot"
I expected something more "innovative" than the mere scientific name.
Tautisca is not an a priori language where I can make up whatever I want. It's an Indo-Eureopean a posteriori language with a history of language contact; in this case, Tautisca, in a similar way to many European languages, got the name of most cultivated fruits from Latin. And BTW, the scientific name (of the tree) is prunus (= "plum") armeniaca, while Tautica has the name of the fruit from (Late) Classical Latin, malum (= "apple") armeniacum.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Dama Diwan wrote: I am thinking about electricity; we can of course borrow the international term "electric", but are there any original terms for "electric"? And if possible, explain also a term for "electronic".
So,

next: electric
Poswa:

pompabui from pompa "thunder, lightning" and buwi "energy, power".

the best way to do a word for "electronic" i think would be to mak a word for computer first, and then say "like a computer". i have pampappep for "cellphone", literally "pocket voice",but no word for computer.

NEXT:
sweet food, dessert, soemthing eaten after a meal
Last edited by Soap on Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dama Diwan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Dama Diwan »

hwhatting wrote:Tautisca is not an a priori language where I can make up whatever I want. It's an Indo-Eureopean a posteriori language with a history of language contact; in this case, Tautisca, in a similar way to many European languages, got the name of most cultivated fruits from Latin. And BTW, the scientific name (of the tree) is prunus (= "plum") armeniaca, while Tautica has the name of the fruit from (Late) Classical Latin, malum (= "apple") armeniacum.
The established international terms (usually from Latin and Greek) are indispensable in the real world.
I have in mind a form of Latino Sine Flexione with a little bit more enriched grammar than Peano's, so with a flexible syntax. May I have a quick description of Tautisca and a little sample?
To that person about computers, computer has been easy for me, NIBE TANO "finding machine", NIBE NIRO "finding tablet", NIBE BANO "finding folded thing", but for electronics I had a little difficulty. We must be friends, we can ease each other's ways in vocabulary.

"sweet food, dessert, soemthing eaten after a meal" could be MITO BAMO (sweet food), but MITO (sweet) alone can be enough, because when it is not before another noun, it works as a noun itself. For more elaborate, MITE BAMO "sweetening food", making you (feel) sweet.
Last edited by Dama Diwan on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

Soap wrote:NEXT:
koos la qofo
sugar COM food
[kɞːs˩ la˩ ˈqɔ˩βɔ]
dessert, literally 'food with sugar'

sefekyud ci tbes macar qofo
meal GEN after TEMP food
[sɛβɛgˈjʉ˥˩ çi˩ t͡pœs ˈmaʝaɾ ˈqɔ˩βɔ]
dessert, literally 'food for after a meal'

EDIT:
Shoot, sorry Dama, didn't see yours!
––––––––––––––––––

Next:
mess, clutter, filth, squalor
OR
addiction, getting addicted (Dama Diwan's)

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Dama Diwan wrote:
hwhatting wrote: May I have a quick description of Tautisca and a little sample?
Thank you for your interest, but I don't have a good description anywhere and no time right now to do one, sorry. As for samples, you'll find some here; look for my postings in the "conlang fluency thread".

Dama Diwan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Dama Diwan »

sucaeyl wrote:
Soap wrote:NEXT:
koos la qofo
sugar COM food
[kɞːs˩ la˩ ˈqɔ˩βɔ]
dessert, literally 'food with sugar'

sefekyud ci tbes macar qofo
meal GEN after TEMP food
[sɛβɛgˈjʉ˥˩ çi˩ t͡pœs ˈmaʝaɾ ˈqɔ˩βɔ]
dessert, literally 'food for after a meal'

EDIT:
Shoot, sorry Dama, didn't see yours!

Next:
mess, clutter, filth, squalor
It is fine Sucaeyl, I LOVED TO SEE your head-last construction, seems you have a good idea of Japanese or Turkic, so you will understand Dama syntax (others told me it's difficult. It is not strictly verb-final). What you say "mess, clutter, filth, squalor" is EXACTLY the Turkish proverb "nerde çokluk, orda bokluk". -luk is a suffix forming abstract nouns, English -ness, Dama WANO. çok=multitude, bok=shit, so bok-luk is a situation disgusting like shit, "where (there is too much) multitude, there (is) a shit-situation". To translate that to Dama rather literally, it would be "JEKAN WANO, JUWAN WANO" ("of many - situation, of filth - situation", but it is more descriptive to say: MIBA JEKO, MIBA JUWO "excessively many, excessively filth".

next: "addiction, to get addict".

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Dama Diwan wrote:
next: "addiction, to get addict".
Poswa:
mompwa "addiction", from two old morphemes mom "happy, happiness" and puba "to draw, make a picture". Im not sure what I was thinking when I coined this word, but perhaps it has something to do with illiterate people drawing pictures, or pointing to pictures, of the things they desired so that other people would fetch those things for them.

The verb is generally formed by adding the passivizing suffix -m before the normal verb endings. Thus one could say

Mompwambabo potibemwop.
I am addicted to candy.
(Poswa generally omits pronouns in favor of double person-marking its verbs.)

Pabappa:
The setup is very similar here, though the word has undergone more sound changes and is now mompu. The verb is, here too, formed by adding the passivizing suffix -m before the normal verb endings. Thus one could say

Pom pobapap mompumpa.
I am addicted to candy.

next:

fence, barrier with windows to see through

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

Dama Diwan wrote: It is fine Sucaeyl, I LOVED TO SEE your head-last construction...
Thanks! I definitely took inspiration from Japanese when it comes to nominal syntax.
Soap wrote: next:

fence, barrier with windows to see through
han
wall
ci
GEN
yoroj
above
gic
LOC
tesb
sky
la
COM
tata
3.REFL

[χɑn˩ çi˩ jɔˈɾɔ˥ ŋiç˩ tœs͡ɸ˩ la˩ ˈta˩da]
fence, literally, wall with sky above it

sivma
slat
ci
GEN
han
wall

[sḭʔ˨˦ma çi˩ χɑn˩ ]
fence, literally, wall of slats

––––––––––––––––

Next:
outside, outdoors

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

sucaeyl wrote:Next:
outside, outdoors
Tautisaca:
ustar "outside" (seen from inside), estar "oustside" (seen from outside); can be used as preposition and as Adverb (estar also means "except, without"); from PIE *uds-, eg'h- "out" + suffix -ter.
Tautisca has no general word for "outdoors"; depending on the circumstances, one can use horré "in the courtyard / outside the house", waicé "in the village / neighbourhood", agrér "in the fields", uddar nessé "under the sky"; these expressions are also used where English would say "outside", e.g. pater horré wargít "father is working outside (= near the house)", caidinai uddar nessé borm "today we ate outside / outdoors".

Next: guest

spanick
Lebom
Lebom

Post by spanick »

hwhatting wrote:Next: guest
naq̃qhmu /naɴχ.mu/ "guest" As in many cultures, guests are usually provided with food as a sign of hospitality and the sealing of a kind of unwritten guest right contract. Thus, the word derives from <nam-> "to eat" with a stative suffix <-qh-> and agentive suffix <-m->, ultimately from the root nVm "food, to eat, edible"

Next: woodworking, carpentry

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

spanick wrote:next: woodworking, carpentry
Kala: omyato - woodwork; carpentry

omya - to carve; to engrave; carving

-to - method of doing something; practice

This could also be tlenoto (tleno - log; piece of wood; timber).

next: political; politics; government

spanick
Lebom
Lebom

Post by spanick »

masako wrote:next: political; politics; government
huflahú'u /huf.la.huː.Ɂu/ "politics" from huf- "assembly" and -la- which creates nouns of location (literally: assembly-place) to form "court" plus -huː- which makes nouns of skill or ability (like English "-craft") so that the word means something like "court-craft"
huflahúi'u /huf.la.huːi.Ɂu "political" same as above with -i- to form an adjective
ba'linu /baɁ.li.nu/ "government" from ba'l- "to rule" and -in- which forms abstract nouns from verbs.

Next: copper

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

spanick wrote:Next: copper
Three overlapping words:
ér "copper, brass, bronze; ore; metal" - cognate with English ore, applied on one hand to processed copper and items made of copper, on the other hand being the archaic and poetical word for copper, ore, and metals in general
raudun "copper, copper ore" - lit "the red (metal)", applied mostly to copper as an unworked material, the trade and craft term of miners and smiths
cuprun - from Latin cuprum, can mean both worked and unworked copper, term used by scientists and merchants, can also designate objects made from copper and copper coins / small change

Next: blood

spanick
Lebom
Lebom

Post by spanick »

hwhatting wrote:Next: blood
sulkhu "blood" from the root sVlx- from which are also directly formed salkh "to bleed" and silkhu "bloody"

Next: shepherd