Civil War Alternate History

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Civil War Alternate History

Post by mèþru »

Will explain later. In the meanwhile, admire map:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14c3WN- ... FuTeivhixB_

EDIT: all links up to date as of 2018-06-27 15:10 EST
Last edited by mèþru on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

yangfiretiger121
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Civil War Alternate History

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

I love that you've reunified Korea and trimmed China back to its rightful territory.

One nitpick, though, I think you accidentally double-posted this topic. Don't worry, I know it's because of internal server errors. I've been getting a bunch of them lately as well.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

The year is c. 1900. The point of divergence is that a copy of Robert Lee's Plan 191 is not discovered in an envelope with cigars in 1862. The Union still wins, and actually does so earlier (albeit with a southern insurgency (actual insurgency, not merely hate groups lynching) that lasts until 1870. Lincoln is assassinated by a southerner (not Booth) in late 1869, during the first year of W.H. Seward's first term. Reconstruction initially happens along the 10% plan, but it becomes stricter in response to grandstanding and insurgency.

Korea is a French protectorate on the map. It never split; this Joseon Korea. Besides Xinjiang and Tibet (a de jure protectorate), China is actually larger, its just that the administration of Manchuria and Mongolia is different from the rest and therefore gets a darker shade (the general rule for nations are that protectorates are lighter than normal, territories/colonies are darker than normal).

Russia has zero colonies in Oceana. Northern Papua New Guinea is a Japanese colony. Southern Papua Guinea is part of Queensland. Australia is a British dominion. I'll go into more detail about what territory belongs to who later, starting with Canada.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

That's quite a lot of divergence from that one point! Why would the lack of intelligence cause the Union to win earlier? I'm quite curious.

Also curious about the incursions of the United States into Canada. And what's up with the Canadian provinces in general? They seem to have somewhat different borders than they did in the real world in 1900.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

On the Civil War:
More: show
While Lee gets occupied in raiding Maryland and destroying sections of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad, McClellan withdraws to the Fort Circle. Lincoln replaces McClellan with Halleck as General in Chief and Burnside as the head of the Army of the Potomac in late September (as opposed to November 9 OTL). He tells Burnside to lure Lee by attacking the Orange & Alexandria railroad. Burnside says that with Lee still in Maryland, Richmond is the best target. They make a compromise plan; the army will seize the railroad up to Gordonsville and then switch route (a railroad to Richmond intersects with the O&A). Burnside splits his force. A smaller part, led by General Hooker, would execute the plan; the larger would stay in Washington in case if Lee goes the wrong way or another army intercepts Hooker. This plan is done more to get rid of Hooker, whom Burnside didn't like. When Lee finds out the Union went South (not knowing the direction of travel), he sends word to Davis to send the defence forces of North Carolina to bolster Virginia and to evacuate to Danville. Davis agrees. Lee splits his force as well, sending half of the army, led by Jackson, ahead to Gainesville as the other half brings the war supplies found in Harper's Ferry. As Hooker fights against reserve forces and militias down the railroad, the whole of Lee's army meets up somewhere to the North of him (I forgot where; I think it was near Opal). An outnumbered Hooker manages to beat Lee in a Union surprise attack. Confederate General D.H. Hill dies in the attack. Lee's army splits into two again and runs from the battle. They march to Fredericksburg while the Union pursues them. Lincoln decides that the victory is enough to deliver the Emancipation Proclamation in January. Hooker sets up camp near Fredericksburg and requests reinforcements. Burnside and Lincoln decide instead that Hooker should go back to the original plan and that Burnside will take the rest of Army of the Potomac to meet Hooker. Hooker is ordered to go north to meet Burnside. Lee figures out what the Union is doing and tries to get to Gordonsville before the Union can. He gets as far as Louisa by the time AoP reach Gordonsville. The AoP spend a day prepare to attack while Lee digs trenches to fortify the train station in Trevilians. The ensuing battle serves somewhat like a Gettysburg equivalent, except that Lincoln couldn't visit the site as it's too dangerous to go to Virginia, and the battle isn't nearly as famous. Lee retreats to Richmond and gets the population to evacuate. In the meantime, the Army of the Cumberland is ordered east to reinforce Burnside. The Union army attacks the Richmond & Danville railroad. They intercept a message replacing Lee as commander of the army with Jackson. The Union then destroys the surrounding countryside, starving Lee's army. Lee surrenders. The Confederate Cabinet moves to Greensboro. The Union seizes all of Virginia. The Cabinet decides to flee to Europe. Their ship is caught by a US blockade. Davis resigns so that his political opponent Vice/Acting President Stephens would be the one to surrender to the Union. The Governor of North Carolina negotiates a conditional surrender. Other states follow suit, with Texas being the last one (mid-June). Some states, like Georgia, refused to negotiate a surrender at all. These were the centers of the insurgency. The surrender of Stephens in March 1864 is still considered the end of the war.
The US bought land from the British on the condition of giving several concessions in trade to Canada and keeping Americans from settling in the western part of Canada. There was no war with Canada. Ontario and Quebec have the same boundary evolution as in real life; they didn't get their current borders until after.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Much of Saskatchewan was sold to America, so the eastern part is given to Manitoba and the western part becomes part of Alberta. This area becomes a province sooner than real life Saskatchewan and Alberta, but the District of Athabasca remains part of the Northwest Territories due to concern that the combined state would be too big. I'm thinking that the area of modern-day Yukon, Northwest Territories, Northern Alberta and Northern Saskatchewan might (not sure) become a province. Then Nunavut would probably become one too
kårroť

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

And all of this came from the US winning the Civil War earlier? Or are there multiple points of divergence? I'm curious of the path that led from the Civil War to buying bits of Canada.

(with regards to provincial borders--yeah, I assumed that on the map, the very straight Ontario/Quebec border was just a simplification of the actual 1900 border, I was more thinking about Manitoba being huge, which you've now explained)
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

alynnidalar wrote:And all of this came from the US winning the Civil War earlier?
Yes it is. The US diplomatically intervenes in the Mexican-American War, which leads to a chain of events keeping Napoleon III popular and preventing Prussia's unification of Germany. Seward had an ambitious policy of expansionism (what he accomplishes is much less than what he wanted in real life (Cuba, Hawaii, northern Mexico, Greenland))
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I have decided to make some changes to the map, but I'm not going to change the image I linked. Botswana and Swaziland are British protectorates outside the Union of South America (Lesotho is still a member). Ecuador is a US state.

Anyway, I didn't finish talking about Canada's borders, I'll do that later.

Here's what I think the modern world might look like:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pQwFtP ... sp=sharing
That giant nation covering much of the former British Empire is a federation of Canada, Britain, Ireland (the whole of Ireland is a kingdom separate from Britain), South Africa and several other former colonies called the Imperial Federation of Nations. Antarctica is owned by two countries, the IFN and Norway. Both allow other nations to operate stations in their Antarctic territories.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Edit to the second map: The Kamchatkan Peninsula is Japanese and the whole Aleutian island chain is American
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

A joint British-American survey in the 1870s of the Alaskan panhandle ruled in favour of the American claim. Newfoundland won in the dispute with Quebec over the southern border of Labrador.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Starting to think that the mostly Japanese populace of the State of Ezo Island (French protectorate with its own foreign policy) will want to unite with Japan during the Taisho era and afterwards. Hokkaido is a source of iron and coal for French mining companies, so I doubt France will let the state do what it wants until social views are against forcing the protectorates to do what France wants (maybe by the 1970s). Japan is allied with Britain, but Britain won't want war. Japan can't risk losing the alliance, because then China could retake Taiwan and Hainan and also free the Ryukyu Islands from Japan. Ezo is especially valuable to Japan due to the Rice Riots and Hokkaido having good agricultural land. I also envision Ryukyu Islands independence movements committing terrorism against Japan.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Japanese New Guinean creole:
/p ᵐb t ⁿd k ᵑɡ/
/m n N/
/ɾ/
/s h/
/w j/
/i u e̞ o̞ ɑ/
No gemination or long vowels. Tone follows the pattern of the Kagoshima dialect. The acrolect was based off the Western dialects and Kyushu dialects, with emphasis on Kagoshima features, bu the acrolect gave way to a more standard dialect of Japanese. The language has many more borrowings from German than Japanese does, due to the heavy presence of German traders before colonization.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Better idea for Ezo: a trilateral agreement makes the island the highly autonomous Ezo Prefecture with special concessions to France and the French mining companies. The Kuril Islands south of Shiashkotan were part of the state and also are currently part of Ezo. The others are part of whatever the prefecture covering Sakhalin and Kamachatka will be called.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Presidents of the US I've decided on so far:
Abraham Lincoln (1861-1869) (assassinated after presidency in 1870)
William H. Seward (1869-1873) (died in second term)
Ambrose Burnside (1873-1877) (just carried out Seward's term and didn't run in his own right)
Ruthford B. Hayes (1877-1881) (as in real life, ran for one term)
Ulysses S. Grant (1881-1887) (died in second term)
Levi P. Morton (1887-1889) (carried out Grant's term, is defeated in convention)
William Pitt Kellogg (1889-1897)

Vice Presidents:
Andrew Johnson (1865-1869)
Schuyler Colfax (1869-1873) (replaced due to corruption scandal)
Ambrose Burnside (1873)
Levi P. Morton (1877-1887)
John R. Lynch (1889-1897)
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

List of countries and their capitals

Meucci is considered the inventor of the telephone (called the teletrophone ATL). He founds the Teletrophono Company and gets an exclusive contract with Western Union. When his patent expires, other companies begin producing teletrophones. Until then, Western Union is the sole provider of teletrophones in the United States.

With a Reconstruction better for black people, there is no blues genre. Quelbe music (with the addition of novelty piano players) from the Virgin Islands becomes the first hit pop genre like jazz was in OTL. This music has the style, but not the typical topics of quelbe. It is known as scratch music. The tempo of scratch is typically fast, near 132 bpm. In Germany, brass bands incorporate scratch pieces and instruments into their repetoire. The resulting subgenre of brass bands, Blechkratzer, replaces scratch as the number one genre. The rock and roll equivalent is the fusion of scratch with son americana, an English-language country-influenced version of mariachi. I have no idea what the combined genre is called. Another major genre that I don't have name for comes from the addition of Appalachian fiddlin' virtuosos to Souza-style big brass bands.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Swoogie (sway and boogie) and Brass & Country respectively.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

The US maintains a racial distinction between the generally more rural and poorer black people ("negro") and the more urban mixed race people ("mulatto" until the 20th century, when it is no longer considered politically correct, then "colored"). Originally, Lincoln only planned on giving voting rights to the latter, but eventually gave universal male franchise to safeguard the rights of the former and increase Republican votes in the south. States like Alabama and Mississippi became safe seats for the Republican party. Former confederates remained enfranchised.

The "Colored" category also includes all other mixed-race individuals, regardless of race. Most Black Indians are considered Colored. Black people who were free before the Civil War are also considered Colored, including Americo-Liberians.

There would be no Hispanic or Latino category on the census. Mexican Americans would be mainly Coloreds and Cuban Americans mainly white.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

The two major parties of the United States are the Republican Party and the Reform Party. The first is associated with religious conservatism, racial equality and big business. The latter was associated with progressivism, but years of corruption and links with organised crime in the 40s and 50s ruined that image. I'm not sure what it stands for even by the modern day. Republicans are blue, Reformers are green. Minor parties of importance include the Radical Party (feminism, LGBT rights, worker's rights), the Labor Party (social democracy) and its coalition partner the Party of the Environment (basically a green party) and the American Indian Party (indigenous interests). Minor parties matter more because most representatives and city councils are elected by STV. In Ecuador, the Conservative Party (interests of landowning elites and Catholic ultra-conservativism) and Liberal Party (social liberalism, worker's rights) are rival parties that are both allied with the Reformers on a national level. The Reform Party does not run in Ecuadorian elections.

The United States has 55 states. The differences:
  • There is only one Dakota, which includes Saskatoon. Edwinton (OTL Bismarck) is the capital.
  • Eastern Oklahoma is a separate state called Sequoyah. Its capital is Muskogee. No idea where is the capital of Oklahoma. Even if I did, it might have different name than in OTL.
  • The US Virgin Islands and the Dominican Republic are the states of Virgin Islands and Santo Domingo respectively. Same capitals as in real life.
  • Idaho includes the parts of Montana that are west of the Continental Divide. Montana gets most of the American territory bought from Canada. The capital of Montana is Lewistown.
  • Arizona and New Mexico are divided by the 34th parallel north. Nevada south of the 37th parallel is part of New Mexico. Arizona's capital is Tuscon.
  • The state of Kiribati covers all of Kiribati, Nauru, the American Line Islands, Johnston Atoll and Wake Island. The state of Efate covers the island of that name in Vanuatu. The state of Vanuatu covers the rest of Vanuatu north of Efate and south of the Banks Islands. No idea where the capitals are or their names.
  • The Austral Islands, Cook Islands and Tokelau are the only territories of the United States.
  • The District of Columbia was moved to McCracken County, Kentucky. It only covers the federal buildings. Washington DC was retroceded to Maryland (county of Columbia). The Smithsonian museums, Washington Monument and what remained of the Civil War defenses by the 20s are still in Washington and still part of DC.
  • The Commander Islands are part of Alaska.
  • Ecuador possesses the land formerly claimed by them in Peru.
I'm unsatisfied with the name Vanuatu, but North New Hebrides sounds ghastly. I'm also unsure as to the etymology of Efate. Midway belongs to the independent Kingdom of Hawaii, which also owns Sikaiana.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Feminism is much more controversial than in our world. Most states refuse to give suffrage to women for longer than in OTL, with US's earlier granting the right to vote under Kellogg being a notable exception. In the United States, both major parties endorsed suffrage in the 19th century. The Reform Party was especially associated with women's organizations. When the government become dominated by Reformers from the 1930s to 50s, they reneged on early promises to suffragists regarding women's labour rights in an effort to broaden the voter base and attract more conservative allies (such as the mafia). The women's rights movement began a radicalisation. This led to a split between feminists mainly satisfied with the status quo or with only a relatively small amount of changes in law and feminists who increasingly identified with the Radical Party, individualist anarchism and Marxism. Suffragist terrorism first became prominent in Japan and France. Even after suffrage, many terrorists remained committed to the violent overthrow of the monarchist, capitalist and patriarchial societies across the world. The unforeseen and deadly ferocity of the women's rights movements helped convince the world that women where as capable of being soldiers and prison guards as men. With left-wing moderate feminists having mostly achieved equality under the law in the West, China, Korea, Thailand and Japan by the end of 1980s, feminist terrorism largely disappeared in those countries during the 90s. In more conservative countries or countries where society drastically lags behind the law, feminist terrorism continues into the present. Feminist terrorism and land redistribution terror (anarchist, Marxist and indigenous) are the most prominent terror movements.

One of the big differences between moderate and radical feminism is the role of marriage and family. Moderate feminism is often called family values feminism because it commits to the value of a family with equal power between the husband and wife. Radical feminism rejects the institution of marriage completely. They advocate free love, including LGBT equality and polyamory. Moderate feminism tends to view child-rearing positively. Views toward abortion are split; birth control is generally accepted but having children is greatly encouraged. Radical feminism on the other hand completely endorses abortion and is split on antinatalism.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Had this long post on politics in the INF, Japan, Ottomania and China that I lost. Anyway I've updated the maps and list of countries. I forgot the Marquesas Islands are another US territory and about the SSS islands.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I'm going to add the Lanfong State to the list of independent nations. It is a tributary state of China, but has its own foreign policy and army. Historically a kongsi, or semi-sovereign mining company with a democratic Chinese-only federal government, the state now has complete equality under the law between the Chinese, indigenous peoples and Malays (all non-indigenous Muslims are considered Malays, whether they are or not). Other peoples are not allowed citizenship. The state follows the Chinese calendar, but Christians and Muslims use their own calendars for all affairs not involving the state.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

accidental repost
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I think I'll have to change the politics anyway.

Auxlang on the new board
kårroť