Flags

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Colonel Cathcart
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Colonel Cathcart »

The Talloese flag is stunningly uncreative:

I made it in literally three seconds when I needed a flag (any flag would do) for some project when I first created the Talloes a couple of years ago. It's so simple that I'm shocked--shocked!--that it's not already in use by some actually-existing entity (as far as I can find). But despite all this, I've gotten kind of attached to it as a symbol of my concountry.
kuiva ja pölyinen

DF
Sanci
Sanci

Post by DF »

Colonel Cathcart wrote:The Talloese flag is stunningly uncreative:

I made it in literally three seconds when I needed a flag (any flag would do) for some project when I first created the Talloes a couple of years ago. It's so simple that I'm shocked--shocked!--that it's not already in use by some actually-existing entity (as far as I can find). But despite all this, I've gotten kind of attached to it as a symbol of my concountry.
Is your concountry Christian?

Colonel Cathcart
Lebom
Lebom

Well it's a Nordic country, so yes and no

edit to clarify: yes in that historically Christianity has been the dominant religion and most of the population belongs to the Protestant church, but no in that church membership is largely nominal nowadays and the populace on the whole is not renowned for being particularly devout (church attendance low and falling, people more likely to describe themselves as "spiritual" than "religious," "no religion" the fastest-growing affiliation, etc.)
kuiva ja pölyinen

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Velkas wrote:This is the flag of my as of yet unnamed Empire:

How does it look?
Otherwise great, but the orange-ish hue is awful.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Velkas
Niš
Niš

Post by Velkas »

Otherwise great, but the orange-ish hue is awful.
What's a better color to use, then?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

What's a better color to use, then?
Maybe a brighter orange, or perhaps yellow.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Velkas
Niš
Niš

Post by Velkas »

Do you suggest any specific shades of gold/orange/yellow?
You can show me a picture that has that color, and I can analyze the color and use it in the flag.

phaed
Niš
Niš

Post by phaed »

Velkas wrote:Do you suggest any specific shades of gold/orange/yellow?
You can show me a picture that has that color, and I can analyze the color and use it in the flag.
Here are some good orange colors, listed by user rating.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Maybe yellow (but that might be a little too McDonald'sy) or a less brown orange.
phaed wrote:Here are some good orange colors, listed by user rating.
Hmm, looking at that site, I'd suggest maybe RGB 246/84/9, 251/100/2, 249/137/18, 255/200/0 or 255/195/0.
My most recent quiz:

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

It is strange how color choice can alter the impression a flag gives. That current orange or a saffron make me think Asia. A brighter orange makes me think Africa. Too bright of a yellow makes me want fries with that.

The Talloese flag looks great but had me slightly confused. The green struck me as muslim but there is the cross that screams crusading knightly order to me. In my head I had two possible backstories. IIRC green used to be a symbol of truth, that combined with the cross makes me think of a motto “Truth and Faith". The other idea relates to how some ransomed crusaders changed their heraldic shield as part of their release. I could see a hosplitar (or some other order) changing the color of the cross as one of those terms.

Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Acid Badger »

I used to have a black-white-blue tricolore for my concountry since the age of 9-10, but I got a bit bored by it, so I tried to get something new.
I just can't get rid of the colors, even if I don't like them much anymore. The triskele is also used in their coat of arms and is the symbol of their religion, but I could hardly find a triskele in the internet that looks like the one I immagine for them, so I used that one.
The olive tree plays a big role in their religion, too, so I picked the triskele and the olive branch as a kind of symbols for their culture and stuff.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

The offset stripe looks quite odd - is that intentional? On the other hand, the colour scheme works well, although the green looks a little greyish (over-saturated?).
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Fanu wrote:I used to have a black-white-blue tricolore for my concountry since the age of 9-10, but I got a bit bored by it, so I tried to get something new.
I just can't get rid of the colors, even if I don't like them much anymore. The triskele is also used in their coat of arms and is the symbol of their religion, but I could hardly find a triskele in the internet that looks like the one I immagine for them, so I used that one.
The olive tree plays a big role in their religion, too, so I picked the triskele and the olive branch as a kind of symbols for their culture and stuff.
Is it some imperial version of the Isle of Man?

Velkas
Niš
Niš

Post by Velkas »

I changed the saturation of the goldish color.

How does that look?
(I think I sort of prefer the original... Maybe...)
It is strange how color choice can alter the impression a flag gives. That current orange or a saffron make me think Asia. A brighter orange makes me think Africa. Too bright of a yellow makes me want fries with that.
Hmm... Interesting. I see what you mean.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Velkas wrote:I changed the saturation of the goldish color.

How does that look?
(I think I sort of prefer the original... Maybe...)
Hmm... Interesting. I see what you mean.
Better, but yeah, it's too much like McDonald's now. :/
My most recent quiz:

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

New Makvil flag. It's a vertical flag so the flagpole goes on the left still.

Colonel Cathcart
Lebom
Lebom

Prmysl wrote:The Talloese flag looks great but had me slightly confused. The green struck me as muslim but there is the cross that screams crusading knightly order to me. In my head I had two possible backstories. IIRC green used to be a symbol of truth, that combined with the cross makes me think of a motto “Truth and Faith". The other idea relates to how some ransomed crusaders changed their heraldic shield as part of their release. I could see a hosplitar (or some other order) changing the color of the cross as one of those terms.
Huh, didn't think of that. The hoist cross is because it's a Nordic country, and I just picked green because that's my favourite colour.
kuiva ja pölyinen

Morrígan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Morrígan »

Zoris wrote:Image

New Makvil flag. It's a vertical flag so the flagpole goes on the left still.
I like it but, it looks a little crooked; could be an optical illusion.

Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Acid Badger »

thedukeofnuke wrote:The offset stripe looks quite odd - is that intentional? On the other hand, the colour scheme works well, although the green looks a little greyish (over-saturated?).
It's the best I got. The olive branches come from the flag of Cyprus. :D
Daquarious P. McFizzle wrote:Is it some imperial version of the Isle of Man?
My flag and the flag of the Isle of Man have nothing in common, apart from the triskele, which is also different from the one from the one I used. So no, no imperial version of the Isle of Man.

Shihali
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shihali »

Would somebody mind taking a look at the flag of Kiarretirirru? I like the design but I have no taste in colors. Ensigns in this part of my conworld (the Lisateku) are normally round; when they are converted to a rectangular form the corners are usually white as in this image, but any color is acceptable.

Calakei gasu ga Ľikala, yau ciṙiwalau gasu ga Ľizeṙe ľi. - Hataučai Ihirašahai Tewa

Conworld Code: Gsff S2 Dnho O3 Tis CL++ SE3 CD3 CC3 CO3 E4 Pfb

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Fanu wrote:
thedukeofnuke wrote:The offset stripe looks quite odd - is that intentional? On the other hand, the colour scheme works well, although the green looks a little greyish (over-saturated?).
It's the best I got. The olive branches come from the flag of Cyprus. :D
Daquarious P. McFizzle wrote:Is it some imperial version of the Isle of Man?
My flag and the flag of the Isle of Man have nothing in common, apart from the triskele, which is also different from the one from the one I used. So no, no imperial version of the Isle of Man.
... apart from the most important symbolic element. If you think others can tell that they're different, you're sadly mistaken...

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

OMG you guys, look what finally arrived today! It would look better if ironed, but I was in to much of a rush to post it here hehe.

Now just to figure out what to tell my family when I fly it. :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Adrianovaz2007
Niš
Niš

Post by Adrianovaz2007 »

Viktor77 wrote:OMG you guys, look what finally arrived today! It would look better if ironed, but I was in to much of a rush to post it here hehe.

Now just to figure out what to tell my family when I fly it. :P
WOW! You made it? Looks great! You have to take a photo of it when you fly it.
If you can read portuguese and is interested on music news, [url=http://blogmusicnonstop.blogspot.com/]Music Non-Stop![/url]

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Adrianovaz2007 wrote:WOW! You made it? Looks great! You have to take a photo of it when you fly it.
No, I had it made by a company in Vancouver.

I will this weekend. :)
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Colonel Cathcart wrote:The Talloese flag is stunningly uncreative:

Had a quick check through wikipedia and apparently a green cross on a white background was one of the proposals for the flag of Greenland put forth in 1991 with the white representing the ice and snow, the green representing the name "Greenland" and the cross indicating links to Nordic countries.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.