Flags

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Viktor77 wrote:
Adrianovaz2007 wrote:WOW! You made it? Looks great! You have to take a photo of it when you fly it.
No, I had it made by a company in Vancouver.

I will this weekend. :)
Which company, if I can ask? Would be possible to make an order from Europe?
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Izo wrote:Which company, if I can ask? Would be possible to make an order from Europe?
http://www.flagshop.com/customflags.htm

Yiuel used them and recommended them to me so then I used them and now I recommend them to you. :P

They're based out of Canada, but they'll ship anyway I'm sure (though, of course, you could always pass them an email). The shipping was hefty, $25 from BC to Michigan, but the flag was a good deal. All in all I spent $140 on the flag plus shipping which isn't bad for a nylon 4x6 custom flag (seeing as a typical 4x6 nylon nation flag ranges around $60-$80.)
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Tsiasuk-Pron
Niš
Niš

Post by Tsiasuk-Pron »

Zhoyit azhelteynova tashe shunyatay!

Please see my avatar!
Ta Miara, ta Varem vey ta Parem! Ta Mabugú Shey Dzevarun!
Hope, Love and Respect! The Beginnings of All Journeys!

darkworldsawake
Niš
Niš

Post by darkworldsawake »

Well, my flag is a raised fist (representing total submission to the God King) on a red circle (representing the fertile fields and valleys in which crops are grown) on an orange background (representing the general uselessness of color symbolism).

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

I haven't drawn up a copy of my flag yet but the main aim is for it to be divided in half diagonally from bottom-left to top-right with the top-left half being coloured white, the bottom-right half to be coloured green migrated with a swan somewhere in the white area.

The white represents the geographical north of the country and the green represents the geographical south of the country. The swan, however, adds more to this. First, it represents the crest of the Royal Family and second, given the perceived interconnection between all people throughout their society, it represents the link through the Royal Family to the deities of their own mythology and their descent from them. The swan, and its lack in the green region of the flag, also indicates the history of the people. As such the white region indicates their present location, hence the location of the swan, while the green region represents the now "decaying" region to the east that they migrated from. The green thus simultaneously represents the fertility of the south and the decay of the east while the white represents the barren north and the glorious west, thus explaining the diagonal division between green and white.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

So, I have a question. Since I have a flag, I of course want to fly it, however my parents are bound to ask 'what flag is that'? What do I tell them? Do I lie? What do I do?
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Morrígan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Morrígan »

Viktor77 wrote:So, I have a question. Since I have a flag, I of course want to fly it, however my parents are bound to ask 'what flag is that'? What do I tell them? Do I lie? What do I do?
Yeah, lie. That will be hilarious for the rest of us.

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Say it's the flag of the region (or other sub-country division) where your favourite (foreign) band comes from :p
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

The tracks are narrower in Michigan

Post by Delthayre »

It would never occur to me not to tell them that it was the flag of a nation that I had created. They'd probably be amused.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

benadam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by benadam »

Viktor77 wrote:So, I have a question. Since I have a flag, I of course want to fly it, however my parents are bound to ask 'what flag is that'? What do I tell them? Do I lie? What do I do?
Tell them it's the flag of a small European country called Falgwia, a country that you're particularly interested in, and have a great affinity with. Tell them all about the country. See how long you can carry it on before they realise you made it up! :mrgreen:
Jihámon Yhliao?

Tiamat
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Tiamat »

You're parents don't know about your conworlding? I'd say tell them the truth and if they think its ridiculous tell them everyone has a hobby. My parents know I conlang and conworld and I find they're helpful to bounce ideas off of.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Delthayre wrote:It would never occur to me not to tell them that it was the flag of a nation that I had created. They'd probably be amused.
Vortex wrote:You're parents don't know about your conworlding? I'd say tell them the truth and if they think its ridiculous tell them everyone has a hobby. My parents know I conlang and conworld and I find they're helpful to bounce ideas off of.
Haha, I would but I'm afraid they'll think me even weirder than they already do. Plus I can't be sure how they'd react knowing I spent my money on a custom flag for a country I made up (not that they should have an opinion, it's my money!)
sangi39 wrote:Say it's the flag of the region (or other sub-country division) where your favourite (foreign) band comes from :p
benadam wrote:Tell them it's the flag of a small European country called Falgwia, a country that you're particularly interested in, and have a great affinity with. Tell them all about the country. See how long you can carry it on before they realise you made it up! :mrgreen:
Haha at the latter lol. The former is likely what I'll end up doing. Probably a region in Russia or something. Maybe I should say it's the flag of Falgwia as if I expect them to know the country haha. :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Viktor77 wrote:Plus I can't be sure how they'd react knowing I spent my money on a custom flag for a country I made up (not that they should have an opinion, it's my money!)
You mean "not that *I* should *care* about their opinion", since they are of course entitled to an opinion.

Adrianovaz2007
Niš
Niš

Post by Adrianovaz2007 »

A long time ago I founded a online flag generator in .SVG, really functional. I've losted the link, does anyone knows it and have the link?
If you can read portuguese and is interested on music news, [url=http://blogmusicnonstop.blogspot.com/]Music Non-Stop![/url]

cromulent
Sanci
Sanci
Location: Deep, DEEP in the heart of my conlanging smithy...and it's going to be a long winter.

Post by cromulent »

Tell them it is a proposal for a new flag for whatever state you live in, Michigan or wherever.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

cromulant wrote:
Tell them it is a proposal for a new flag for whatever state you live in, Michigan or wherever.
It's a perfect flag for Michigan! Blue for the Great Lakes, white for the snow, green for the forrests! Our current flag is hideous and indistinguishable from the other 40 hideous state flags.

Though I'd hate to connect it to Michigan. In my mind it will always be Falgwia. :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

I once designed a flag that has actually been flown from a flagpole. However, it is not the flag of any of my con-countries, but the flag of my home village which had not had a flag before. The flag is a horizontal green-red-yellow with a wavy blue line running through it from top right to bottom left. The three stripes represent the forest to the north of the village, the village itself and the fields to the south, while the blue line represents the little river running through it from northeast to southwest.
Last edited by WeepingElf on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

su_liam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by su_liam »

Viktor77 wrote:Our current flag is hideous and indistinguishable from the other 40 hideous state flags.
Yeah, in my state, they couldn't decide, so they went with a two sided flag. I wish they'd just settle for the beaver and eliminate all the text.

We do, however, have a fairly unique flag.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Falgwia:

Falgwia and Russia:

Falgwia and Germany:
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

Here's my flag

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

GreenBowTie wrote:Here's my flag

:D

Raluv
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Raluv »

I like.
Meh.

我会说德文说得很不错,aber ich versuche noch, mein Chinesisch zu verbessern.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

GreenBowTie: That is just magnificently trippy 8) But it would be the devil to make...
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

BettyCross
Sanci
Sanci

Post by BettyCross »

GreenBowTie wrote:Here's my flag
I see. You've founded a gay militia group.

Betty Cross
May the odds be ever in your favor.
Oi sî đât sort điri
ever be-SUBJ the odds 2S-DAT