Flags

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

BettyCross wrote:Looks like a rug.
Ha, beat you to it. It's a nice rug though.

JAL

Ulan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ulan »

BettyCross wrote: Looks like a rug.
Yeah that is intentional
Whoa! Ulan, that Chuj flag is really interesting!
Perfect flag for rescue crews to spot out ...

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

Ulan wrote:Image
Finally a flag that is realistically awful. It's simultaneously hideous and beautiful. Well done, sir!

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

Jar Jar Binks wrote:Finally a flag that is realistically awful. It's simultaneously hideous and beautiful. Well done, sir!
I have to agree on this. It has elements of "that's pretty of neat" and "oh god, not those people again". Its flags like this that have me watch olympics opening ceremonies like car crashes. Sure I could lok in an almanac but its not the same as when people are proudly waiving it around. And yeah I wouldn't mind owning that as a rug, but I'd probably keep it in the basement or other out of the way room. At least it is interesting, mine is rather boring.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

jal wrote:and Hakwane (a military dictatorship, the two squares are supposed to be golden).

kewl
doctrellor wrote:
benadam wrote:Here's the flag of my as-yet-embrionic concountry/nation/people:
Yes, I made it on MS Paint.
I like the flag with Orange over the yellow

The one with yellow just seems harsh to the eyes -- while the orange seems softer. Maybe it's just me ...who knows
Me too.
daryush wrote:Here's the Ala-Khanid confederation flag

It is:
The moon and a star
A bow drawn
A horse.

The horse and the bow were vital in the Ala-Khanid conquest and Ala-Medyoic wars, and the moon and star are important in the Harukanid nomadic beliefs.
Cool! It looks like some kind of petroglyphs. I think it's okay as it is, except that the horse is a little meh.
nils wrote:Image
The one on the right is really beautiful.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

BettyCross
Sanci
Sanci

Post by BettyCross »

nils wrote: Image
The one on the left was clearly founded by Welsh colonists. They merely changed the color of the dragon.

Betty Cross
May the odds be ever in your favor.
Oi sî đât sort điri
ever be-SUBJ the odds 2S-DAT

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Ulan wrote:Image
It looks like something I'd find at a Native American market or something. It's neat but very busy. It would make a good ceremonial flag but I'm not sure it would make a good nation flag.
nils wrote: Image
Love the hammer one lol.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

BettyCross
Sanci
Sanci

Post by BettyCross »

Viktor77 wrote: Love the hammer one lol.
I thought that was a judge's gavel.

Betty Cross
May the odds be ever in your favor.
Oi sî đât sort điri
ever be-SUBJ the odds 2S-DAT

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Flags

Post by Chuma »

My conpeople care very little about their national flag, and didn't have one for a very long time. When they do need one they have a rather boring one - a black square with a white circle, symbolising their islands being the light of the world.

But what they do have is plenty of internal flags. Each county has a flag, consisting of a square with two diagonally separated colours, out of a set of eight, and a symbol in the middle. Then each municipality has a flag consisting of the county's flag on top, and a similar square underneath. Finally each house has its own flag, adding another square. Each flag has to have a unique colour sequence. In recent times this has put a damper on population growth - they can't have much more people, because they're running out of flags.

In many situations only the colours are used, not the symbols. It's convenient in football, which is a popular sport, except the small problem that in derbies the teams only differ on the shorts (and the players on the socks).
flag+shirt.png
flag+shirt.png (82.97 KiB) Viewed 3880 times

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

That's okay-- in deciding if a team needs to wear away colours, more attention is paid to the colour of the shorts (perhaps surprisingly)
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

I'm working again the Hellesan flags. This is the modern flag of Hellea, and it has two designs but I'm not sure which is better:

1. Narrow strips.

2. Wide strips.

So which do you prefer? Narrow or wide?
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Izo wrote:So which do you prefer? Narrow or wide?
Unless you put some charge in the center, definitely the wide is preferred over the narrow.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

TomHChappell wrote:
Unless you put some charge in the center, definitely the wide is preferred over the narrow.
There are variations of the flag with centered charges. In these cases I prefer the wide one, because the charge makes the strips even narrower.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Izo wrote:
TomHChappell wrote:
There are variations of the flag with centered charges. In these cases I prefer the wide one, because the charge makes the strips even narrower.
for god's sake make your signature smaller

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Pthug wrote:for god's sake make your signature smaller
There's this lovely feature in phpBB 3 that allows one to disable displaying signatures. I so love that feature.

JAL

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

I actually like the thin bars better. Any thicker, and you may as well just make it a tricolor.

...I detest tricolors...

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

I don't detest tricolors, but I try to avoid them. There are too many.

With the Brezh Llirant "Royal Griffin" the flags look like this:

Narrow

Wide

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

First. Much easier to sew and the proportions look like they were well planned.

BTW very nice flag! I adore those shades of blue! :D
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

WanderlustKoko
Lebom
Lebom

Post by WanderlustKoko »

The Faznand flag (Karani-speaking country located 3404 miles southwest of Karanorisa [the country where Karani originated]).

I know it's kind of sloppy but I did use GIMP. (Which is in my opinion the watered-down version of photoshop)
Current Conlang Project: Karuslnko. http://karuslnkoconlang.wordpress.com

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

I know it's kind of sloppy but I did use GIMP. (Which is in my opinion the watered-down version of photoshop)
No, you're just doing it wrong. I've seen amazing things done in GIMP, even if it's not exactly photoshop. Besides, with flag making you really really want to use a vector program like inkscape, which many agree is the best in its class.

Here's a flag I made myself in inkscape. The conworld I'm thinking up uses mostly vertical flags.
Attachments
flag.png
flag.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 3658 times

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Koko.Dk wrote:Image

The Faznand flag (Karani-speaking country located 3404 miles southwest of Karanorisa [the country where Karani originated]).

I like the combination of these colors; black and yellowish green always make a nice couple.

What is the color symbolism, if there's one? And why the blue strip has that odd shape? Reminds me of a river.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Zoris wrote:Here's a flag I made myself in inkscape. The conworld I'm thinking up uses mostly vertical flags.

I like the design. Reminds me of a building in my city:

Any symbolism attached to it?

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Izo wrote: I like the design. Reminds me of a building in my city:

img

Any symbolism attached to it?
Cool! No symbolism at the moment but I'll probably add some after-the-fact :P

WanderlustKoko
Lebom
Lebom

Post by WanderlustKoko »

Izo: Yes, the blue does represent a river. In fact a famous river in Faznand called Kuka. The odd shape in the flag represents the river that helped many people escape from war-torn places in which certain ethic groups were targets of genocide and this very large river helped many people from various different countries find freedom from the dictators who invaded their countries. A bridge was quickly made for easy access within the country but was quickly taken down so when the invaders tried to get through, they would get pulled away but the really strong current and die from being jerked around so much that it eventually broke their necks.

Now the black represents the openness the Faznadians had when they allowed for various groups as a result of the War of Uterozozia in 3992 and so many groups of people brought their cultures and languages to Faznand, causing it to be a highly multilingual country with Karani being the second official language of the country. A sort of "It doesn't matter who you are, as a country we are all Faznadians" type of mentality. Which also makes for easy immigration nowadays.

The Greenish-yellow represents the Identity and culture formed in Faznand over many centuries and a strong sense of loyalty, peace and devotion. This country has only gone to war one and quickly ended it within 2 years.
Current Conlang Project: Karuslnko. http://karuslnkoconlang.wordpress.com

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I can't help but feel that it would simplify into a straight diagonal line. It could still be representative, after all, if you wanted it to. The irregular shape is a bit odd really. If anything you'd get flag makers getting pissed off over it because they've made the shape wrongly. You could avoid that with straight lines...