Flags

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Flags

Post by Izambri »

Thanks for the explanation, Koko.Dk. It helps to understand the odd blue shape. Anyway, I would represent the strong current of the river as a zigzag on the flag. It's clearer to visualize and easier to draw.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

*Today we are cancelling the Apocalypse*
Last edited by Izambri on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

War airships? awesome concept, but aren't they a bit... destroyable?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Torco wrote:War airships? awesome concept, but aren't they a bit... destroyable?
Very, especially if full of hydrogen I would imagine.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Torco wrote:War airships? awesome concept, but aren't they a bit... destroyable?
Sure! And that's why they're perfect for action scenes! Hinderbuuuuuuuuuuuuuurg!!!

No, seriously. In Taura, ballons were the first machines used for aerial warfare, even before than planes. They were used for reconaissance. Then the dirigible was introduced, also for reconaissance, but soon gained a main role in battles, and aerial forces were created by many nations. As you said, they were too destroyable, although they did a more than respectable service for many decades (there are excellent bombers and carriers). They were replaced by non-gaseous airships as soon as technology allowed non-chemical gravitational repellents. With that, the new airships increased their size and capacity, permitting heavier weapons, faster speeds and, obviously, harder battles.

Things like these (courtesy of Last Exile XD):

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

non chemical antigravity? how do your people pull that out ?

Curan Roshac
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Curan Roshac »

Mesner Fields, or so I'ven been told, can be employed that way.
[quote="brandrinn"]A right without necessary provisions for its observance is just a cruel joke.
[/quote]

http://rpusa.info/platform.htm
http://www.stardestroyer.net/
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

I keep designing new flags for my concountry. Not sure why. Here's a new one:

The star-like shape is an abstraction of the national flower (the eyebright) and the inner hammer-like symbol should at some point become significant. I'll probably relate it to Thor's hammer given the location of my concountry (about where the islet of Rockall is in the real world). The emerald background is inspired by the northern lights (aurora borealis)
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Torco wrote:non chemical antigravity? how do your people pull that out ?
By accident, like many discoveries. This and an intense, long and scientific research on non-chemical propulsion. Tauran research on propellants and fuels evolved in different ways than our own. It's interesting to note that gasoline has never been a common fuel; steam was the dominant working fluid for many decades, starting with the Tauran industrial revolution, and research on steam power achieved much more success than ours. On the last decades of the golden age of steam power, antigravity (or countergravity, as is known in Taura) was discovered almost by accident, but it remained fringe science for some decades... Until certain limits were impossible to be surpassed on the fields of steam power, aerodynamics and flight. Then, the most advanced powers of Taura (which included Hellea) began to do secret research on countergravity, in an epoch where airships were everywhere, aeroplanes were a rarity and rocketry was a hobby. It was first used on war, lifting and propulsing larger and faster airships (than the previous gas-lifted and steam-powered) that were determining on the resolution of the wars. That technology was rapidly applied on civil airships.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

*Today we are cancelling the Apocalypse*
Last edited by Izambri on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Izo wrote: skyblue (the distinctive color for war airships
the distinctive colour is the same as that which is always going to be its backdrop?

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

In Bredezhanian heraldry sky blue is the color that represents the skies; so for the air fleets the external circle in roundels is sky blue. But for sea fleets the color isn't dark blue, as could be expected, since this color is related to monarchy (or more precisely, gan llirant "royal blue", which is exactly 0, 0, 139 in the RGB model); silver is used instead, since fishes have a silvery coloring.

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

Izo wrote:This one is used by the sea army:

And this one by the air army:
En anglès, s'anomenen "navy", "air force". Also, exact RGB* triplets are meaningless in a subtractive context, such as paint. Try Pantone?

*Also, there's no such thing as "the" RGB model; you probably mean sRGB, which was designed for CRT screens and is woefully limited. Sadly, it is also (de facto) used in JPEG/JFIF and consequently by every single point-and-shoot digital camera out there. Fffff.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Jar Jar Binks wrote:
Izo wrote:This one is used by the sea army:

And this one by the air army:
En anglès, s'anomenen "navy", "air force". Also, exact RGB* triplets are meaningless in a subtractive context, such as paint. Try Pantone?

*Also, there's no such thing as "the" RGB model; you probably mean sRGB, which was designed for CRT screens and is woefully limited. Sadly, it is also (de facto) used in JPEG/JFIF and consequently by every single point-and-shoot digital camera out there. Fffff.
About the army vs. navy I was thinking in Catalan and Hellesan, which use a single word for the concept of "army" and "force": armada, in Catalan, and martande, in Hellesan. Hence the error. Thanks for pointing out that; I didn't remember that was "force" for the air.

About the RGB model I was to call it "the RGB scale", then I thought it wasn't correct at all and glanced at the wikipedia article, which is entitled "RGB color model"; so I choose "model".
I don't know the Pantone colors, since I create them with the Office Word (above all I used them for coloring titles and subtitles on my conculturing texts, which are written on Word).

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

disregard the bit about sRGB, that was rather spergy of me - there plainly is a the RGB model, namely, sRGB, which is what everybody and their cat means when they say "RGB"

my point is paint doesn't come in RGB

Fedosu
Niš
Niš

Post by Fedosu »

@Izo: Unless you're actually going to be painting something, do you really need to give the colour a specific designation? You can simply call it sky blue, and say they their government has officially defined that colour without actually defining it yourself.
My wrists are on fire.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Fedosu wrote:@Izo: Unless you're actually going to be painting something, do you really need to give the colour a specific designation? You can simply call it sky blue, and say they their government has officially defined that colour without actually defining it yourself.
But... I called it "sky blue". I don't understand what you mean with "specific designation". The RGB code I gave? But it was for the darker blue, in any case.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Izo, you should start a thread about Hellesan here... I'd love to see more about the language.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Bristel wrote:Izo, you should start a thread about Hellesan here... I'd love to see more about the language.
Thanks for the interest! That is a thing I wanna do for a long time, but I need to work more on the grammar, which I'm redoing and expanding since 2009. I'm working slowly, since I have other projects related to Taura and Hellea, but I could post an introduction to the language here, in the forum.

Fedosu
Niš
Niš

Post by Fedosu »

Izo wrote:
Fedosu wrote:@Izo: Unless you're actually going to be painting something, do you really need to give the colour a specific designation? You can simply call it sky blue, and say they their government has officially defined that colour without actually defining it yourself.
But... I called it "sky blue". I don't understand what you mean with "specific designation". The RGB code I gave? But it was for the darker blue, in any case.
Yes, sorry, I was referring to the RGD code you gave. Unless you actually need to specifically define what the is, why not just say that its a dark blue and call it a day. Shouldn't knowing that your con-people have specifically defined the colour be enough?
My wrists are on fire.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

I insist that, in fact, I talked about dark blue and sky blue, and I added that the dark blue used to represent royalty is called gan llirant and is 0, 0, 139 on the RGB model. I don't see the problem with that.

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

I repeat (for the 2nd or 3rd time, I don't remember) that I gave the RGB color for some reason.

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

Vols dir "for a reason"? En anglès, "for some reason" significa "no estic segur per què".

de tota manera, el teu color exacte RGB no vol dir res, perquè la pintura no ve en RGB. Els colors RGB no es corresponen amb equivalents exactes sostractius. RGB es tracta de barrejar la llum. La pintura no és llum.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

I'm not talking about color, light and their lives and miracles. I explained why I gave the RGB color and not, say, Pantone, and that's all folks. Really, the only important and interesting is to know that the Hellesan color is white with a thin fess of dark blue and another fess of sky blue.