Invent an Idiom

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Invent an Idiom

Post by cybrxkhan »

YngNghymru wrote:Next: to win by dishonourable means, to cheat
Aidisese:

agreri ha skagnintan - literally, to restrict ginger; from a relatively minor historical event, when the Xemarian Empire attempted to economically outmaneuver the Aidisese by manipulating their supplies of ginger; although it did not result in much, and both empires remained allies, the event has remained in the minds of the Aidisese

Next:
an intelligent or well-educated but socially awkward person
I have a blog, unfortunately: http://imperialsenate.wordpress.com/
I think I think, therefore I think I am.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

cybrxkhan wrote:Next:
an intelligent or well-educated but socially awkward person
Niwari:
wa meskonam miru ma meos
INDEF.SG shrew among PLURAL mouse
"a shrew amongst the mice."

Meos are a small species of rodent that occasionally appears in plague proportions. They are social and famously stupid animals to the Niwatka, eating themselves into famine and being so unafraid and unwilling to move that they are easily stepped on. Meskonam, a more shrew like animal, are perceived as more intelligent - they are rarer and smart enough to flee from humans and other potential predators, and a meskonam among meos is generally shunned (as much as energy allows a starving meos to shun anything) as they prey upon the meos.

Next: to masturbate (either male or female)
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

WanderlustKoko
Lebom
Lebom

Post by WanderlustKoko »

to masturbate (either male or female)
Karani: There are various different degrees of expressing this (If a woman is doing this add "kuwerinakne" and if a man is doing this add "tebagchan". Depending on the verb and particles used will determine in which stage of masturbation is/has occurred)
/lit. To have one's private part happy/ (This refers to being aroused and just about to start masturbating but haven't yet):
Kamas shureshwasonii kuwerinakne [kʰamaz ʃurɛʃwazoni: kuwɛrinagneɪ] [to have+happy ADJ+female organ (Vagina)]
Kamas shureshwasonii tebagchan [kʰamaz ʃurɛʃwazoni tʰɛbaktʃan] [to have+happyADJ+male organ (penis)]
Shureshwasonii- Happy
Kuwerinakne- vagina (Female organ)
Kamas-to have
Tebagchan- penis (Male organ)

Rehniz- to cause harm to somebody (Abuse, hit, attack, rape, cut, to make someone sad etc.)
Ku- Follows the indirect object of a sentence. Or means on/to/for/at (referring to a location).
/lit. To abuse based on [touching] one's private organs/ (This refers to being in the midst of/in the process pleasuring yourself)

Rehniz tebagchan/kuwerinakne ku [rɛɦniz tʰɛbaktʃan/kuwɛrinagneɪ ku] [To hit+male organ/female organ+ku particle]

Amehi-to rain (anything to do with weather)
Re- It lists nouns phrases, and clauses like the English "and" but unlike it's counterpart "Opu" it refers to specific, and clearly defined things.
Abazi- to speak, talk, chat (including forums, chatrooms), scream, make noise, sing [The context in this case is scream/make noise]
/lit. to rain and make noise [as a result of touching one's] private organs/ (This refers to what happens after you just masturbated).

Amehi re abazi tebagchan/kuwerinakne [amɛɦi re abasi tʰɛbaktʃan/kuwɛrinagneɪ] [To rain+Re particle "and (specific things)"+To make noise+male organ/female organ]

Next: To be forced to do something against one's own will
Current Conlang Project: Karuslnko. http://karuslnkoconlang.wordpress.com

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

To be forced to do something against one's own will
Hiomran och sgmo ...
'jow.ɾan 'ox.ʃmo ...
"To do under oneself ..."

I have to read every day for school.
Hiomh dgóldy och sgmo eth rítne sgẃsco.
"I do every day under myself the reading for school."

Next:
"To count on something/someone, to rely on..."

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

lctrgzmn wrote: "To count on something/someone, to rely on..."
Nirimian: To hold as the sun

ex: "I can't skip practice today, the director is holding me as the sun that I get everyone their lines for tomorrow's show."

Similarly, when someone fails your expectations, you say that they "turned out to be the moon", which changes quite a bit more than the constant sun.

ex: "I can't believe you didn't show up to practice! I held you as the sun, and you turned out to be the moon!"

Next: to dress fancily
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

ekobor
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ekobor »

Jetboy wrote:Next: to dress fancily
Positively:
ulesa meme manumo
feathers-pretty raise
To raise pretty feathers/To put up plumage, as in "Jessie has really put up plumage today"

Negatively or sarcastically:
utoke makatu
fish, to wear
To coat [oneself in]/to wear the fish "John is really wearing the fish today"

Descendants from birds, Toretore still have feathers, so the first one could very well also be literal!

Up next: leaving home for the first time, getting out of somewhere after a long period
Soušui igo nuř bangoř heurlich
I wish only to be happy

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Poswa: tšoffup "to hatch". Simple, perhaps disappointingly so, but this morpheme appears in a lot of other words such as "to hide within something" and "to explode" (said of bombs) which would hopefully lead to more interesting mental imagery than what you'd get with the English. It could also lead to using other derivatives such as the one that means explode if there is some mental stress associated with it. e.g. Bemop pampia tšoffybel "he exploded out of the school". It isnt usually used for the verb of humans being born even though it is a similar prcoess

next: to throw a temper tantrum for no apparent reason; to be annoyed by something beyond reason that seems to annoy nobody else (something I remember from when I was very young and for no apparent reason became inconsolable when we drove into the town of Salisbury, Massachusetts. My parents had to convince me that we had turned around and were not in Salisbury anymore before I would calm down).
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Soap: Maybe you thought you'd have to have one of those steaks (I'm pretty sure it's spelled different, but you were very young after all), and you really didn't like them?
(EDIT: No, it's spelled the same, but it's named after a person, not the town)

Hasas Dahasashui - "To be seized by Hasashui". Hasashui is the trickster deity. (not really a god, but immortal).

Next up:
To attempt to entrap or trick someone, and turn out to have the situation reversed (tricked to trapped by the person instead, for example, like Wiley E. Coyote)

Sortsdam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sortsdam »

Belsamese:
Jidao go gou gousupien - "to eat one's own rice"

In the 1200s, when Belsam was divided up into multiple warring states, Lord Hruyangna of Shaoi invited King Suriom of Ansedao to dinner, claiming he sought to end the fighting between each others states. He had his cook poison King Suriom's food to assassinate the king and take over Ansedao. Suriom's spies witnessed the poisoning, so when dinner began, Suriom's rice was switched for Hruyangna's. Hruyangna died shamefully, and his kingdom became part of Ansedao. Hence the term "to eat one's own rice".

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Sortsdam, you need to give the next one as well. :roll:
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

WanderlustKoko
Lebom
Lebom

Post by WanderlustKoko »

^^I'll just come up with one.
Here:
To eat one's own words/ To admit that what one said is wrong
Kuma: Onū kālu płuði or Onū płuði kālu [onu: ka:lu pwuði] /to eat crystals/ [Consumption/mouth+movement+crystal PL (Sing= Płu)]

Next: To take things too literally.
Current Conlang Project: Karuslnko. http://karuslnkoconlang.wordpress.com

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

The people of the island of Lan are suspicious of "tricks" in speech and therefore are taught to say and hear everything literally. They do remember, though, once some people from the mainland came and proposed building a bridge to their island. The governor of the mainland told them that if they allowed the bridge to be built the business owners of the mainland would make sure the Islanders would always be happy. So they built the bridge and everything seemed to be going well, but then a few days later an Islander girl got into an argument with her parents and the Islanders realized the promise was false. They confronted the governor and asked him why he said they would be always happy if they were still going to have fights even after the bridge was in place. He was shocked that they took him at his word and told them that the mainlander speech was sometimes prone to exaggeration. So the Islanders burned the bridge and went back to living by themselves. But they had gained an awareness of the fact that the people on the mainland could never be trusted even when they appear to make a solemn promise. And they were worried that the bad habits might begin to creep into the Islanders' speech as well, so whenever they doubt someone is telling the truth, or even just making a metaphor or simile, they say "are you speaking like an Islander, or a mainlander?"

(there is no language yet for these people, but I could do it in Poswa as Pi butšambae Lantas, pyp mambžambas?

next: to spend so long publically preparing for a party or other social gathering that by the time you are ready, people have lost interest
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Psykie
Niš
Niš

Post by Psykie »

Soap wrote:next: to spend so long publically preparing for a party or other social gathering that by the time you are ready, people have lost interest
Fengwë
Fezusë dë sayirg - Literally "He/she/it is cleaning the arena"

The Vendri people hold friendly duels to first blood to practice their skills, and these are seen as social gatherings before and or after feasts. Usually once blood is spilled the current fight ends and a new one begins, but before important battles (if, for instance, it is a man's wedding, before his own battle) the arena will be cleaned, and this can take some time in the case of very important events, as many people can battle causing a lot of blood and or detritus to get on the ground.

Next up: to idly follow along with something whilst being oblivious to the consequences - "Lead like a lamb to the slaughter"

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

"to follow Nalsiskitei" , a shapeshifter immortal that seduces and leads astray travelers (usually by taking on form of an attractive female, since most travelers are male).

Next up: (I hope this hasn't been done yet) To feel being treated unfairly.

Psykie
Niš
Niš

Post by Psykie »

Foolster41 wrote:Next up: (I hope this hasn't been done yet) To feel being treated unfairly.
Fengwë:
Peyisosë mën fengrufol! - "I received two winters" - This one is pretty straight forward. The Vendri live in a very cold biome, and when they feel hard done by, they complain that it is like having two winters in a row.

Next up: the lesser of two bad choices, I.e. the lesser of two evils.

Zumir
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zumir »

Dȧ Kelȧ zjeu-sjevo.

The well-coiffed killer.

Next: to have an insult backfire.
Zim ho Xsárnicja žovnyce.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

Tll-Fusyn: Qos khunshyk talshyk

"The arrowsmith stabs the swordsmith"

Next: "I thought that went without saying"

Zumir
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zumir »

Mej dan tejnk ih bej tah-la.
I thought it was thought-law.

Next: Schadenfreude.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Naná:
Nâ nä nànǎ nà næ.
be happy when someone suffers.

Next: butterflies in the stomach (I've actually never heard this expression in English, but it is commonly used in Hebrew)
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Zumir
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zumir »

Xeuken ǫ jȧ Tą.
Choking on your tongue. Originally referred specifically to stage fright.

Next: To be paranoid or neurotic.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Mr. Z wrote:(I've actually never heard this expression in English, but it is commonly used in Hebrew)
It's kind of old-fashioned, to me at least.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Baranxe'i:
varaŋ aðilix(si) jāŋa - to put eyes on (one's) shoulders = to be paranoid

rimú varaŋ aðilixsi jāŋas, lixēla aumanaraŋsi raftihāni‘an. - She's been really paranoid ever since her ex cheated on her.
ðari varaŋ aðilixdi jāŋet! - You're being paranoid!
a’i hēve mē ēþ varaŋ aðilixmi jāŋēha, fizu kontu ha! - Don't say I'm paranoid, it's all true!
ðari varaŋ aðilixmi jāŋet - You're putting eyes on my shoulders = You're making me be paranoid.

Astraios wrote:It's kind of old-fashioned, to me at least.
Could it be a loan from Yiddish? It's quite common in German, too.

Aaanyways, next: (to feel) embarassment squick
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Zumir
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zumir »

To feel squicked over embarrassment, to feel embarrassed over squickedness,or to feel embarrassed and squicked?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Zumir wrote:To feel squicked over embarrassment, to feel embarrassed over squickedness,or to feel embarrassed and squicked?
To feel the squick of embarrassment.

MisterBernie wrote:Could it be a loan from Yiddish? It's quite common in German, too.
No idea, my knowledge of Yiddish goes no further than basic insults. :P

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

I'm just gonna jump in here with my own from a few days ago...

Kala:

ta ke pelo nayo tlatsamya
2s TOP gut 1s.POSS burn.make
You make my gut burn. >> You make me angry.