Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #94: Face and Politeness)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: A Podcast about Conlangs

Post by Ollock »

If anyone has any ideas for a featured conlang or a discussion topic, feel free to post here or go through the show's email: conlangery@gmail.com
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

Ashmaster
Niš
Niš

Post by Ashmaster »

I may have some ideas for you. Specially for your problems with in/outros. Before saying anything, let me explain that I follow only a few podcasts. Namely, one. Plus, it's mainly humorous, meaning it may not fit with your podcast. So don't use my ideas if you don't want to...

You could put some text over the intro, to introduce the podcast and entertain the listeners. I would also advice to separate the segments a little, because... I thought it didn't feel like the segment had ended. But don't worry, you'll get the knack of it really easily. Another thing that could be useful would be to play the outro while you're talking. With the editing, you can make the last phrase coincide with the end of the song, meaning the end of the podcast.

Finally, it may be useful for you to think up some sort of "catchy phrase", to caracterize the podcast and make the people recall it. It may make it more familiar, and get the people more interested.

Once again, I recall you I have little to none experienxe with podcasts, so DO NOT think I am telling you how you should do it. It's just the things I think work well with the podcast I follow, but, as I said, it's based aroud humour, so it may not be appliccable for yours.

By the way, if yoy want to see / hear what I was talking about, try searching for "Screwattack's Sidescrollers" on Youtube or on iTunes. It hasn't incorporated video until recently, so just pay attention to the sound.

I hope this helped. I also hope it didn't sound like "I know what you have to do, do this and this and this, because you're bad!", because it isn't like that at all. I loved the first episode, by the way.

Also, I would like to talk to you about a segment idea I have... Could you contact me by pm, please? I think it may be interesting...

Have a good day!

-- Ashmaster

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Just so I can have people up to date, we ended up deciding not to record this week. But no fear, we are already preparing to record two episodes next week to start up a buffer, so we can avoid scheduling hiccups affecting the release of the show.

Also, Torco has been downgraded to an occasional guest host, since his life has too much going on in it for him to host regularly any more.
George Corley

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

This sounds really neat. I'd love to help host if you needed a host, though it looks like you got quite a few volunteers, and I'm fairly limited in my computer usage (only a couple hours in the evening currently), also I'm not sure I have a good "radio voice." :P. I'd be glad to help in some other way though.

You should definitely set up a site where you do comments for each episode. I'm not sure if there's something like that especially like that for podcast, but a blog. could work too.

Thomas Winwood
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Thomas Winwood »

Ollock wrote:By the way, Episode One is up: http://conlangery.conlang.org/2011/05/3 ... y-conlang/
Couldn't help but notice that in the intro you pronounced it [koŋlæŋgəɹi]. :D

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #3: The Good and the Bad)

Post by Ollock »

Conlangery Episode #04 is OUT! http://conlangery.conlang.org/2011/06/2 ... g-started/ All about getting started conlanging.

I would like to apologize for any problems with audio quality in the last couple episodes. I have been playing around with Audacity settings to kill some of the noise and take care of the volume problems people have complained about, but it's still not quite there. Fortunately, Bianca will be getting a new mike soon, so around episode 7 you should see a significant jump in production quality (a lot of my problems stem from excess noise from her built-in mic).
George Corley

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #4: Getting Started)

Post by Bristel »

I like Ollock and Bianca's voices, but there is so much audio artifacting, that it is sometimes hard to hear what is being said.

I like that it is really like a conversation in the home, and is informal, I think that brings in the listener.

Edit: I also agree with the anti-x-sampa movement. /aɪ laɪk ɪt ə lat/!
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I will listen to the actual podcast later, but it should be noted that X-SAMPA does have a legitimate use when one can't display Unicode characters. The only thing is, this need is now basically dead. The only time you'll ever see me use it is when I'm on a public computer and can't be bothered working out how to type in IPA (because a. I'm too lazy for character map and b. because I use my own keyboard I don't really know the addresses of the converter websites)... there was one time recently where I posted X-SAMPA on a library computer but actually edited it to IPA when I got home because it was annoying me... :P

We used to have a blind member whose screenreader couldn't read Unicode characters – this is also of note. But it could read X-SAMPA verbatim (like [tʼɑɦ] → [t_>Ah\] → "t-underscore-greater than-capital A-h-backslash") and he could convert it mentally.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

more autotone
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Bristel wrote:I like Ollock and Bianca's voices, but there is so much audio artifacting, that it is sometimes hard to hear what is being said.

I like that it is really like a conversation in the home, and is informal, I think that brings in the listener.

Edit: I also agree with the anti-x-sampa movement. /aɪ laɪk ɪt ə lat/!
Yeah, I really made some mistakes in cleaning up the episode, in addition to the audio problems I had to start with. Next time I'll try not to leave so much crazy static and such.
George Corley

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #5: Scripts and Writing)

Post by Ollock »

Conlangery Episode 5 is OUT!
George Corley

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #6: Linguistic Typology)

Post by Ollock »

Conlangery #06 is out and ready for listening!
George Corley

Thomas Winwood
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Thomas Winwood »

I wholeheartedly agree with the embargo on nooblangs, but an episode on common beginner mistakes might be productive.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Btw, how come Will Annis (nice voice btw!) is most audible and George least of all three hosts? Also, you should maybe fade out the intro music when you start speaking over it, or at least turn the volume down a bit, since George's rather quiet already, as I said.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Guitarplayer wrote:Btw, how come Will Annis (nice voice btw!) is most audible and George least of all three hosts? Also, you should maybe fade out the intro music when you start speaking over it, or at least turn the volume down a bit, since George's rather quiet already, as I said.
That is an unfortunate side-effect of the way I do my recording. It seems that since Will and Bianca are being recorded through Skype, and me via a microphone that is being pumped back through the computer sound system, I end up fading in and out. Recently we were able to eliminate enough noise (by getting Bianca a headset) that I can actually use a compressor, so episode 7 on up should be better.

As for the intro music: it is added in after the fact, with an automatic fade-out. The fact is, I need some better intro music -- this takes too long to get to the hook and I so far have been unable to cut it down.

In any case, once I get a job, I have a couple things on my list of things to buy: 1) A decent audio production suite (one that can record multiple tracks from multiple sources) and 2) a decent stand-alone microphone for myself.
George Corley

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Guys, try and remember when talking about UPSID and WALS that correlation is not causation, kthx.

Also, is Will on the board?

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

finlay wrote:Guys, try and remember when talking about UPSID and WALS that correlation is not causation, kthx.

Also, is Will on the board?
You know what, you're right. Not one of us really thought of mentioning that. If you would, shoot an email to conlangery@gmail.com to remind me to talk about that in a future show.

Also, I don't know if Will is on these boards. If he is I don't know his handle. We were acquainted via email.
George Corley

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

He used to post on Conlang-L as Wm Annis occasionally IIRC.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

I kinda need some help with something. I thought I would put together a special "bonus" episode where we just listen to a bunch of clips of conlangs in movies and talk about the actors' performances. However so far I have found no substantial Na'vi lines for Avatar online (and I don't have a DVD handy ATM). Even clips I have found of Jake Sully's speech have edited out the Na'vi translation (why?).

I am also looking for clips of the Egyptian spoken in Stargate (don't know to what degree it is a conlang, but I thought it would be interesting) -- which despite being in so many lines in the movie also cannot be found on YouTube. Fun fact, if you search the main movie couple of either of these movies (Jake and Neytiri/ Daniel and Sha'uri) you get a bunch of music tributes and no actual scenes. I do have a Stargate DVD I can cap from if I can't get anything.

A couple more examples of Klingon from various Star Trek series would be cool, too. It seems like it's quite difficult to find two sentences of Klingon in the same scene.
George Corley

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Surely the learn navi site itself would have such resources? :|

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

finlay wrote:Surely the learn navi site itself would have such resources? :|
If they do, I haven't found them, and Will hasn't brought them to my attention. Most of their information actually comes from interviews and presentations by Paul Frommer -- the movie doesn't make for much of a corpus.
George Corley

Timmytiptoe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Timmytiptoe »

Ollock wrote:I kinda need some help with something. I thought I would put together a special "bonus" episode where we just listen to a bunch of clips of conlangs in movies and talk about the actors' performances. However so far I have found no substantial Na'vi lines for Avatar online (and I don't have a DVD handy ATM). Even clips I have found of Jake Sully's speech have edited out the Na'vi translation (why?)
I have asked a friend, and he'll upload some clips in a few days.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Timmytiptoe wrote:
Ollock wrote:I kinda need some help with something. I thought I would put together a special "bonus" episode where we just listen to a bunch of clips of conlangs in movies and talk about the actors' performances. However so far I have found no substantial Na'vi lines for Avatar online (and I don't have a DVD handy ATM). Even clips I have found of Jake Sully's speech have edited out the Na'vi translation (why?)
I have asked a friend, and he'll upload some clips in a few days.
Hmm ... how many days, exactly?
George Corley

Timmytiptoe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Timmytiptoe »

It'll probably be up tomorrow.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Timmytiptoe wrote:It'll probably be up tomorrow.
Ok, thanks! Just curious about that bit.
George Corley