Post your conlang's phonology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Post your conlang's phonology

Post by finlay »

Kvan wrote: Yeah, it's a bit rough around the edges. And one thing I would like to do is get rid of /u/ but I'm unsure if this is attested in other languages, I see that typically languages have at least /i u a/. Seeing as though it may be a staple of phonemic inventories I ought to keep it.
Eh no. Most English accents don't have (it's fronted/centralised). It's quite a common one to lose, particularly in Europe. The thing is with minimal phoneme inventories, you end up with /i u a/ because they fill out the corners, but /i o a/ or /e o a/ also happen (they might get called /i u a/ because they are functionally the same, though).

Besides, it's your language, and you can do whatever the fuck you want to it. Being attested in a natlang is only a guideline.

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

new protolang:
/p b t d k ɡ k͡p ɡ͡b/
/m ŋ ŋ͡m/
/v s ʃ h/
/r l j/
/a e i o u/

stress is lexical. it's most often on the penultimate syllable, and is indicated by an acute accent otherwise.

phonotactics:
-the most complex possible syllable is C(r, l, j)VF where C does not include /j/ and F is anything but a stop.
-/lr rl/ do not exist initially.
-vowels may be short or long.
-vowel hiatus is generally tolerated; eo [e.o]

allophony:
-/k g k͡p g͡b ŋ͡m/ are /c ɟ c͡p ɟ͡b ɲ͡m/ before /i/ and /j/.
-/ŋ͡m ŋ/ merge finally.
-/a e o i u/ are [ɒ ɛ ɔ] before liquids and [ɜ i u] after stressed syllables.
-/e o i u/ are [ɛ ɔ ɪ ʊ] before /j/.
-/l/ is [n] before nasal consonants.
-/ʃ h/ merge as [x] finally.
-/hj/ is generally [ç].
-/tl dl/ affricate to /tɬ dɮ/.
-/r/ is an approximant after nasals and finally.

some randomly generated words:
glite [ˈgli.ti]
ŋma [ŋ͡ma]
kiga [ˈci.gɜ]
tloŋ [tɬoŋ͡m]
ŋmjo [ɲ͡mo]
ŋar [ŋaɹ]
bej [bɛj]
kjel [cɛl]
suh [sux]
rij [rɪj]
truʃ [trux]
o [o]
al [ɒl]
si [si]
tlol [tɬɔl]
kpras [k͡pras]
viʃ [vix]
ʃjo [ʃjo]
las [las]
uŋ [uŋ͡m]
ju [ju]
soŋm [soŋ͡m]
ki [ci]
lo [lo]
ŋmrer [ŋ͡mɹɛɹ]
gbetú [g͡bi.ˈtu]
kpjom [c͡pom]

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

finlay wrote:
Kvan wrote: Yeah, it's a bit rough around the edges. And one thing I would like to do is get rid of /u/ but I'm unsure if this is attested in other languages, I see that typically languages have at least /i u a/. Seeing as though it may be a staple of phonemic inventories I ought to keep it.
Eh no. Most English accents don't have (it's fronted/centralised). It's quite a common one to lose, particularly in Europe. The thing is with minimal phoneme inventories, you end up with /i u a/ because they fill out the corners, but /i o a/ or /e o a/ also happen (they might get called /i u a/ because they are functionally the same, though).

Besides, it's your language, and you can do whatever the fuck you want to it. Being attested in a natlang is only a guideline.

Oh alright, that makes sense. And that's great, /u/ will be dropped then. And while I'm not a slave to the universals and natlang trends I tend to value their patterns and use them for a guide.
äreo wrote:new protolang:
/p b t d k ɡ k͡p ɡ͡b/
/m ŋ ŋ͡m/
/v s ʃ h/
/r l j/
/a e i o u/

stress is lexical. it's most often on the penultimate syllable, and is indicated by an acute accent otherwise.

phonotactics:
-the most complex possible syllable is C(r, l, j)VF where C does not include /j/ and F is anything but a stop.
-/lr rl/ do not exist initially.
-vowels may be short or long.
-vowel hiatus is generally tolerated; eo [e.o]

allophony:
-/k g k͡p g͡b ŋ͡m/ are /c ɟ c͡p ɟ͡b ɲ͡m/ before /i/ and /j/.
-/ŋ͡m ŋ/ merge finally.
-/a e o i u/ are [ɒ ɛ ɔ] before liquids and [ɜ i u] after stressed syllables.
-/e o i u/ are [ɛ ɔ ɪ ʊ] before /j/.
-/l/ is [n] before nasal consonants.
-/ʃ h/ merge as [x] finally.
-/hj/ is generally [ç].
-/tl dl/ affricate to /tɬ dɮ/.
-/r/ is an approximant after nasals and finally.

some randomly generated words:
glite [ˈgli.ti]
ŋma [ŋ͡ma]
kiga [ˈci.gɜ]
tloŋ [tɬoŋ͡m]
ŋmjo [ɲ͡mo]
ŋar [ŋaɹ]
bej [bɛj]
kjel [cɛl]
suh [sux]
rij [rɪj]
truʃ [trux]
o [o]
al [ɒl]
si [si]
tlol [tɬɔl]
kpras [k͡pras]
viʃ [vix]
ʃjo [ʃjo]
las [las]
uŋ [uŋ͡m]
ju [ju]
soŋm [soŋ͡m]
ki [ci]
lo [lo]
ŋmrer [ŋ͡mɹɛɹ]
gbetú [g͡bi.ˈtu]
kpjom [c͡pom]

I'm a a fan of the /ŋ͡m/ aurally, it sounds to my ears like Homer Simpson eating doughnuts. I don't know if it's purposeful or not, but it seems to me that most people making proto-langs, tend to use coarticulates more than those who are making non-proto-langs. On a personal note, I think it would be cool to keep them in whatever daughter language(s) you derive. At least one of the coarticulates, at least allophonically would be nice. But again that is just my taste. My only real critique is that you seem to be using ʃ for your orthography, it might be a bit more accessible and easier to type if you use a digraph or :sh . And, what is the rule for the allophonic occurrence of /x/ from /ʃ/ and /h/? Does it occur after closed vowels only (like in your generated words: truʃ [trux], viʃ [vix]) and suh [sux])?
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

To:
Economic Left/Right: -6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

Kvan wrote: I'm a a fan of the /ŋ͡m/ aurally, it sounds to my ears like Homer Simpson eating doughnuts. I don't know if it's purposeful or not, but it seems to me that most people making proto-langs, tend to use coarticulates more than those who are making non-proto-langs. On a personal note, I think it would be cool to keep them in whatever daughter language(s) you derive. At least one of the coarticulates, at least allophonically would be nice. But again that is just my taste. My only real critique is that you seem to be using ʃ for your orthography, it might be a bit more accessible and easier to type if you use a digraph or :sh . And, what is the rule for the allophonic occurrence of /x/ from /ʃ/ and /h/? Does it occur after closed vowels only (like in your generated words: truʃ [trux], viʃ [vix]) and suh [sux])?
-One of the daughterlangs has the palatal coarticulates front to labial-alveolars and become phonemic, so it'll have even more delicious coarticulated sounds than before :D
-My representation of the phonemes wasn't really a final orthography. I'll probably use <ś> for /ʃ/.
-The /x/ allophone just occurs syllable-finally - awkwords happened not to give me final /ʃ/ and /h/ after /a e o/ in this set, but such a sequence can certainly exist.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Kvan wrote:
finlay wrote:

Oh alright, that makes sense. And that's great, /u/ will be dropped then. And while I'm not a slave to the universals and natlang trends I tend to value their patterns and use them for a guide.

It's possibly quite a European thing... but I can think of quite a few European languages that have changed u to a central or front vowel: English (in the dominant accents it's centralised, at least, and it still varies with ), Icelandic (u=[ʏ], ú=), Swedish (u=[ʉ], o=), Dutch (u=[ʏ], oe=), French (u=[y], ou=), Greek (upsilon= in Modern Greek or [y] in Ancient Greek, ou (omicron-upsilon)=)

Armenian also uses a digraph in its native script for , which suggests to me that it either didn't use to have it or it lost an 'original' u like the other mentioned languages.

Also I was just looking up Piraha (which has /i o a/) and Wari', which is another language in South America which has /i y e ø a/ as its front vowels and /o/ as its sole back vowel. It's said to be the most asymmetrical vowel system in the world or something, so it's an extreme example, but these things do happen.

Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Acid Badger »

finlay wrote:Armenian also uses a digraph in its native script for , which suggests to me that it either didn't use to have it or it lost an 'original' u like the other mentioned languages.

Afaik Armenian ու was never a diphtong but modeled according to its Greek usage, just like Georgian Asomtavruli ႭჃ. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

äreo wrote: -One of the daughterlangs has the palatal coarticulates front to labial-alveolars and become phonemic, so it'll have even more delicious coarticulated sounds than before :D
Excellent. I'm thinking that once I have developed Leþwin to the point where I can translate some texts, and generate Leþwini texts then I can start splintering it. Though it might take some time, I'm trying to plan an in depth world. I've been spending time reading up on geology, chemistry, and all the hard and soft sciences I can to develop a world. I also intend to read up a bit on magic, and the history of alchemy and science, religion and the inter-relationship of all of them I feel like it's important to know how the perception of science, magic, and religion affected the parties involved in each. But that's a story for another time I think.

Anyway, I've decided on a vowel inventory of:

/ɪ ʏ ɛ ø̞ æ ɒ o/ where long front vowels can become /i y e ø a,ɛ/ and long back vowels typically remain the same with perhaps some variance in /o/ becoming /ʊ/ after a labialized consonant.

Creaky realizations usually make the vowels a bit tenser as do the breathy realizations. The details of this certainly need to still be worked out.

I do have one other question I didn't ask, it's sort of related to the syllables in Nuxálk. Leþwin allows for certain sounds to occur which would not typically be realized as syllabic. For instance, for the classificatory prefix for Long Objects (Class IV Objects) is /ʃːt/ (sort of like the sound of a thin branch or switch gliding through the air before contact with someone). My question is, would this be considered gemination of ʃ or two seperate consonants side by side? (i.e. would this be like ʃʃ or ʃː?)

To:

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

Kvan wrote:
äreo wrote: -One of the daughterlangs has the palatal coarticulates front to labial-alveolars and become phonemic, so it'll have even more delicious coarticulated sounds than before :D
Excellent. I'm thinking that once I have developed Leþwin to the point where I can translate some texts, and generate Leþwini texts then I can start splintering it. Though it might take some time, I'm trying to plan an in depth world. I've been spending time reading up on geology, chemistry, and all the hard and soft sciences I can to develop a world. I also intend to read up a bit on magic, and the history of alchemy and science, religion and the inter-relationship of all of them I feel like it's important to know how the perception of science, magic, and religion affected the parties involved in each. But that's a story for another time I think.

Anyway, I've decided on a vowel inventory of:

/ɪ ʏ ɛ ø̞ æ ɒ o/ where long front vowels can become /i y e ø a,ɛ/ and long back vowels typically remain the same with perhaps some variance in /o/ becoming /ʊ/ after a labialized consonant.

Creaky realizations usually make the vowels a bit tenser as do the breathy realizations. The details of this certainly need to still be worked out.

I do have one other question I didn't ask, it's sort of related to the syllables in Nuxálk. Leþwin allows for certain sounds to occur which would not typically be realized as syllabic. For instance, for the classificatory prefix for Long Objects (Class IV Objects) is /ʃːt/ (sort of like the sound of a thin branch or switch gliding through the air before contact with someone). My question is, would this be considered gemination of ʃ or two seperate consonants side by side? (i.e. would this be like ʃʃ or ʃː?)
Cool. Lot of front vowels, but not implausibly. And I reckon you could analyse the sequence however it makes sense with the phonology, e.g. gemination if other geminates exist and clusters like /sʃ/ don't.

Maoti
Niš
Niš

Post by Maoti »

My conlang Mewatut has the following 14 consonants and 6 vowels:

Consonants:
Plosive: /p t k/ <p t c>
Fricative: /f s ɬ h/ <f s lh h>
Nasal: /m n ŋ/ <m n ng>
Approximant: /l j w/ <l y w>
Tap: /ɾ/ <r>

Vowels:
Close: /i u/ <i u>
Mid: /e ə o/ <e ë o>
Open: /a/ <a>

Diphthongs:
/ei eo əi əo əu ai ae ao au oi ou/ <ei eo ëi ëo ëu ai ae ao au oi ou>

Phonotactics:
Words may begin in any vowel/diphthong or any consonant, and may end in any vowel/diphthong or in a consonant other than /j/, /w/ or /h/. Consonant clusters are permitted word-initially and word-medially but not word-finally. Consonant clusters are limited to a length of two segments. Adjacent vowel qualities within a word are always merged into a diphthong rather than being pronounced separately. The following word structures are possible for root words (C=consonant, V=vowel/diphthong): Monosyllabic: (C)(C)V(C); Disyllabic: (C)(C)VC(C)V(C); Trisyllabic: (C)(C)VC(C)VC(C)V(C). Root words never exceed three syllables in length.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

My new somewhat Nivkh-inspired language:
/p t c k m n/
/v ð j ɣ~ʕ h s/

Vowels: /i a u ɤ/

Syllable structure is (C)V(ː)(C), however, vowels may not appear in succession, when they occur this way through affixation, an epenthetic consonant /t/ is added. Both consonants and vowels can be lengthened; vowels are lowered after /ɣ~ʕ/ and fronted after /j/.

The consonants might seem to be grouped arbitrarily, but this is because they are in two different sets that alternate through lenition or fortition depending on which set the consonant affected is in. Let's take an example with the word for small - /mɤ/. In the comparative, the suffix is /-n/, but the initial consonant is lenited to /h/, so 'smaller' would be /hɤn/.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Vanna /ˈvaŋa/ -› main dialect [ˈvɛŋa]

Transcription suitable for all dialects, that stays consistent to the conservative orthography (directly represented by the romanisation) that covers all dialects as well as possible, between slashes (//) and realisations of the very innovative, main dialect between square brackets ([]).

Monophthongs

Code: Select all

/a/ [a], [ε]
/i/ [i], [ɪ], [ʊ]
/e/ [ε], [ɪ]
/æ/ [æ], [a]
/o/ [ɔ]
/u/ [ʊ]
/œ/ [œ], [ɔ]
Diphthongs

/a͡u/ [a͡ʊ]
/a͡ɪ/ [a͡ɪ]
/i͡u/ [ʊ(w)]
/e͡u/ [œ͡ʊ]
/e͡ɪ/ [ɛ͡ɪ]
/æ͡u/ [æ͡ʊ]
/æ͡ɪ/ [æ͡ɪ]
/o͡u/ [ɔ͡ʊ]
/o͡ɪ/ [ɔ͡ɪ]
/u͡ɪ/ [ʊ͡ɪ]
/œ͡u/ [œ͡ʊ]
/œ͡ɪ/ [ɔ͡ɪ]
Triphthongs

/ɪ̯e͡u/ [ɪ̯ɛ͡ʊ]
The vowels can also have a nasalised realisation under some conditions in the main dialect and some other dialects.

Consonants

/b/           [b], [v], [Ø]
/θ/~/d/       [Ø], [(ɪ̯)j], [ɪ̯], [(ʊ̯)w], [ʊ̯], [t]
/f/           [f], [ʊ̯ɸ]
/ɣ/           [(ɪ̯)j], [ɪ̯], [(ʊ̯)w], [ʊ̯]
/h/           [h], [ɧ]
/j/           [(ɪ̯)j]
/k/           [k], [kʰ], [g], [c]
/l/           [w], [ɬ], [l]
/m/, /n/, /ŋ/ [m], [ɱ], [n], [ŋ], [m̥], [ɱ̊], [n̥], [ŋ̊], [~]
/p/           [p], [pʰ], [b]
/s/           [s̻], [ʃ]
/ʃ/           [ʃ]
/t/           [t], [tʰ], [d]
/v/           [v], [w], [ʋ]
In the main dialect, [ŋ] turns preceding /i/, /a/, /œ/ and /æ/ into [ʊ], [ɛ], [ɔ] and [a], respectively. [w] turns preceding /i/ into [ʊ] as well.

Some special clusters and combinations

/nd/ [nː]
/ld/ [lː]
/ln/ [ŋ]
The main dialect is very fond of reducing clusters overall, and I'm too lazy to write them all here.
Here are some samples from the conlang fluency thread:

Kóuvnun ta htœgdn ta œf..? He hónduid?
There are sizes for piercings..? What do you mean?
[ˈkɔ͡ʊnʊnda ˈɧtʰœtʰn̥tʰaʷ œ͡ʊɸ] | [hɪ hɔnːʊ͡ɪ]

Hvis.
Thanks.
[ɧʋis̻]

Nǽnælme, ǽdæn skof [ɔː].
It does, but it is pronounced [ɔː].
[ˈnænælmɪ æ̃ˈʃkɔ͡ʊɸ ɔː]

Iu lósta ig so ju sædíg fe ælvekjimésieun fe hlæstékal, ódo vais hvedésele ka vœ hlœ́sthost.
I am going to eat porridge with apple sauce and blueberry juice and coffee, and then I am going to get right to work.
[ʊ ˈlɔʃtaʷ ʊ͡ɪj s̻ɔ jʊ s̻æwˈʊ͡ɪj fɪ̯ælvɪciˈmɛs̻ɪ̯ɛ͡ʊɱfɪ ɬæʃtˈɛkaw ɔː va͡ɪs̻ ɧʋɛ͡ɪjˈɛs̻ɛwɪ ka vœ ˈɬœʃtʰhɔʃt]
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Maoti
Niš
Niš

Post by Maoti »

My new conlang Inaqtuk has 15 consonants and 3 vowels. Its phonology is inspired by the Inuit languages.

Plosive: /p t k q/
Fricative: /s ɬ h/
Nasal: /m n ŋ ɴ/
Approximant: /l j w ʁ̞/
Vowels: /i a u/

Allophony:
The vowels /i/ and /u/ become allophonically lowered to [e] and [o] respectively when occurring before a uvular consonant (/q/, /ɴ/ or /ʁ̞/), and this change is indicated in the orthography.

Phonotactics:
Words may begin in a vowel or a non-uvular consonant. Words may end in a vowel or a consonant other than /s/, /h/, /j/ or /w/. Consonant clusters can only occur word-medially and are limited to a length of two segments. Clusters of two adjacent vowels are permitted but are infrequent. Inaqtuk has no diphthongs. The consonant-vowel combinations ji and wu are not permitted.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Acranasian (Classical Eresian):

Nasal: /m n ŋ ŋʷ/
Stop: /p pʼ t tʼ k kʼ kʷ kʷʼ q qʼ qʷ qʷʼ ʔ/
Affricate: /ts tsʼ tɬ tɬʼ/
Fricative: /ɸ s ɬ x χ/
Liquid: /l/

Vowel: /i iː u uː a aː/

Syllable structure: CV(N/L)

Stress is phonemic.

This is the last common ancestor between South Eresian and North Eresian. As soon as I manage to get the sound changes for South Eresian up and running, I'll start producing serious information on North Eresian, which is going to be ossum just so everyone knows.

Chaoibhuin
Niš
Niš

Post by Chaoibhuin »

I've created a very simple language inspired by Toki Pona. It has just 15 phonemes (8 consonants and 7 vowels).

Consonants:
Plosive: /p t k/
Fricative: /h/
Nasal: /m n ŋ/
Lateral: /l/

Vowels:
Close: /i ɨ u/
Mid: /e ə o/
Open: /a/

Vowel length and tone are non-contrastive, and there are no diphthongs.

Phonotactics:
Syllable structure: (C)V(C). Consonant clusters can only occur across syllable boundaries and don't exceed two segments in length. The consonant /h/ doesn't occur word-finally.
Last edited by Chaoibhuin on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Keeping it simple and effective, with a twist. You'll see.

Plosive: / t d k kö[kw] g q /
Fricative: / th[ð] f v s z sh ch xg[ɣ] xh[ɬ] h /
approximant / j w /
affricate / dj /
Lateral: / l /
trill: / r /
Vowels: / i e o u | ii ee oo uu / maybe some diphtong too, like /ie/ or /ou/.

Phono~
Syllable structure:CV(sk+V)(C), mostly CV(sk+V)C. All nouns ends in /t/ or /l/.
Right now this thing comes with/with out the cluster /sk/ somewhere in the middle(as seen), and /dj/ as some sort of... semi-cluster in the onset. Might be changed though.

My biggest regret is that I believe that the fricatives have expanded to much to compensate for the total lack of bilabial plosives and nasals. Though this is normal(because I just let my mind do the work), I would like just to have a simple / th[ð] s f v h / and not the whole series that you see (=Dutch-offspring with terminal throat-cancer), but then it looks so bare. Decisions, decisions.......

edit: forgot the rounded velar, /kö[kw]/
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Something I came up with while walking home today:

Consonants

b    t    dʑ    k   
     s    ɕ         h
    ʰs
m    n          ŋ
     ɾ
Vowels and Diphthongs

i     u       i:     u:       ja     wa
e     o       e:              ju
   a              a:
The syllable structure is CV(N), where a word final nasal is realized as [ŋ] and word interla nasals assimilate to the following C. The phoneme /ʰs/ is a voiceless preaspirated alveolar fricative, but is often realized as a consonant cluster [χs]. The palatals [dʑ ɕ] are only found before /i/ and /j/.

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

roninbodhisattva wrote:Something I came up with while walking home today:

Consonants

b    t    dʑ    k   
     s    ɕ         h
    ʰs
m    n          ŋ
     ɾ
Vowels and Diphthongs

i     u       i:     u:       ja     wa
e     o       e:              ju
   a              a:
The syllable structure is CV(N), where a word final nasal is realized as [ŋ] and word interla nasals assimilate to the following C. The phoneme /ʰs/ is a voiceless preaspirated alveolar fricative, but is often realized as a consonant cluster [χs]. The palatals [dʑ ɕ] are only found before /i/ and /j/.
I like it. /ʰs/ is awesome.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

äreo wrote:I like it. /ʰs/ is awesome.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of it too.

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

roninbodhisattva wrote:
I'm trying to reproduce it, and all I'm getting is a sort of exasperated /s/. But regardless it's a pretty brilliant sound if that is what it is. I especially like that it stands out by its lonesome.

To:

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Kvan wrote:
roninbodhisattva wrote:
I'm trying to reproduce it, and all I'm getting is a sort of exasperated /s/. But regardless it's a pretty brilliant sound if that is what it is. I especially like that it stands out by its lonesome.
It usually comes out as something akin to [ks] ~ [xs] ~ [χs] for me. Hence the allophony above.

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

roninbodhisattva wrote:
Kvan wrote:
roninbodhisattva wrote:
It usually comes out as something akin to [ks] ~ [xs] ~ [χs] for me. Hence the allophony above.
Cool. I like the idea of a preaspirate or two, or a series of them for a language. Perhaps I'll have a contact language of Leþwin's use them. With a much, much smaller inventory.

Perhaps something like:
Nasals m ɳ
Plosives b ʰt ʰʈ ɖ ʰk
Fricatives ʰs ʰʂ
Glides/Liquids l ɭ

Vowels/i e æ o ə/

To:

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

Saerienne

[p t k ʔ s n m l]

[ a i u ai a: i: u: ai:]

And thanks to one of Kvan's posts above, there's also Coastal Saerienne (La Saerienne O'Ni La Mer, or La Slamme)

[p t k h s n m r]

[ a ɛ o e a: ɛ: o: e:]

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

A general idea of where I'm trying to go with my Anglic language:

p b   t d tʃ dʒ k g
f v θ s z ʃ  ʒ  x ɣ (h)
        r       j  ʍ w
        (rʷ)
      ɬ l

iː ɨː uː    ɪ ɨ ʊ
eː    oː    ɛ   
æː aː ɔː      a

ɛu̯ ɔu̯ ai̯ ɛi̯ ɔi̯ ʊi̯
Still trying to decide whether or not I want to include the GVS.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

I know, boring. This is not supposed to include allophony, is it?

Vowels

/a e i o u/

Diphthongs

/aj ej oj uj/
/aw ew ow/
/ja je jo ju/
/wa we wi wo/

Consonants

/m n ɲ/
/p t k/
/b d g/
/f θ s ʃ/
/v/
/dʒ/
/r ɾ l ʎ/
/w j/

Let's hope I'm not leaving anything out :/.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Can't decide whether I want to use lexical tone or stress with this:

Bilabial  Alveolar  Retroflex Palatal   Velar     Uvular    Glottal
Nasal         m         n                             ŋ
Plosive       p pʰ      t tʰ      ʈ ʈʰ                k kʰ      q qʰ      ʔ
Affricate               ts        ʈʂ        cç
Fricative               s         ʂ         ç                             h
Trill                   r
Approximant             l                   j         w
Vowels: /i e a o u/

C(G)V(V) or GV(V)
G is /j w/, C is any consonant but /j w/. V is any vowel.
Full /Cjii/ ~ /Cii/ ~ /Ci/ contrast.
Incomplete contrast among diphthongs: /Cie/ does not contrast /Cje/, for instance.

/h/ = [h] ~ [χ]
/cç/ = [tʃ] ~ [tɕ] ~ [cç]
/ç/ = [ʃ] ~ [ɕ] ~ [ç] ~ [x]
/r/ = [r] ~ [ɾ]
/ŋ/ = [ŋ] ~ [ɴ]
Vowels are nasalized after a nasal.
/j w/ are more centralized before /i u/ respectively: /ji/ = [ə̯i] ~ [ɪ̯i] and /wu/ = [ə̯u] ~ [ʊ̯u].