Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #94: Face and Politeness)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #17: Aspect)

Post by Risla »

There's a shortage of DM books at my university and three classes are using it as a textbook, and I'm in two of the classes in question. This means that professors have been uploading scans of chapters of it to the internets. Shall I get them for you? :mrgreen:

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

There are full scans available on the internet. >_>

And don't be shy about suggesting your own work. It has been done before.
It does help if there is a publicly available source though as we do encourage people to take a look for themselves.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

NOW

Oh boy did I get the first download?

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Ossicone wrote:There are full scans available on the internet. >_>
Not everyone likes downloading stuff from the torrents and such, even though it may be practical.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #18: Mood)

Post by Ollock »

Anyway, a new episode is up: Conlangery #18: Mood

Keep those suggestions coming in. We need to beef up our list of conlangs to review.
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Argh. My current project is going to have at least 8 tense/aspects (5+ past-ish, 1+ future-ish) and 6 more moods because of you.

IT'S A MONSTER!

Edit: I thought I got the Frankenlang out of my system already but I guess that's just on noun phrases.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

My subjunctive should really be an irrealis as well, in fact. Thanks for point that out.

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

bump
næn:älʉː

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Ollock wrote:Anyway, a new episode is up: Conlangery #18: Mood

Keep those suggestions coming in. We need to beef up our list of conlangs to review.
I always enjoy listening to the podcast of you three. I just never get around to sending replies or compliments; sorry.
MadBrain is a genius.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Rodlox wrote:

I always enjoy listening to the podcast of you three. I just never get around to sending replies or compliments; sorry.
Bad boy! Go write a 5-star iTunes review RIGHT NOW!

Seriously, I haven't gone so far as beg on the show, yet, but it makes me sad that we have basically zero iTunes reviews. It might make for some serendipitous discovery if those who listen through iTunes decided to leave some five star reviews.
George Corley

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

You forgot the download link.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #19: Role-Marking)

Post by Ollock »

Oh, by the way, this is out: Conlangery #19: Role-Marking
George Corley

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Ollock wrote:
Rodlox wrote:

Bad boy! Go write a 5-star iTunes review RIGHT NOW!

Seriously, I haven't gone so far as beg on the show, yet, but it makes me sad that we have basically zero iTunes reviews. It might make for some serendipitous discovery if those who listen through iTunes decided to leave some five star reviews.
if I had iTunes, I would go right now and review it on iTunes.

(wait, is iTunes the on-site player?)
MadBrain is a genius.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Rodlox wrote:(wait, is iTunes the on-site player?)
No, it's a plugin for Wordpress plainly called "Audio Player".

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Rodlox wrote: if I had iTunes, I would go right now and review it on iTunes.

(wait, is iTunes the on-site player?)
No, I don't believe you can play iTunes content anywhere except from within the iTunes application or the iOS app. The player on the site is the one provided by the podPress add-on for Wordpress.

(PS: If anyone can recommend a better Wordpress add-on for creating podcast feeds, please let me know. podPress's analytics are broken.)
George Corley

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Guitarplayer wrote:No, it's a plugin for Wordpress plainly called "Audio Player".
Ollock wrote:The player on the site is the one provided by the podPress add-on for Wordpress.
Well, that then. They use the same player widget thing, though, as it looks like.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Ollock wrote: Seriously, I haven't gone so far as beg on the show, yet, but it makes me sad that we have basically zero iTunes reviews. It might make for some serendipitous discovery if those who listen through iTunes decided to leave some five star reviews.
I feel obliged to point out that while I listen to the podcast "through iTunes", in that I have my iTunes set up to automatically download your podcast on a weekly basis, I discovered the thing through this site and don't know where I would post such a review. It doesn't come up unless you actually use the 'store' thing to discover things.

stinger
Niš
Niš

Post by stinger »

Ollock wrote:Seriously, I haven't gone so far as beg on the show, yet, but it makes me sad that we have basically zero iTunes reviews. It might make for some serendipitous discovery if those who listen through iTunes decided to leave some five star reviews.
Apparently iTunes has to review a review, so it's not visible yet, but you all have at least one five star review on iTunes now.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

finlay wrote:I feel obliged to point out that while I listen to the podcast "through iTunes", in that I have my iTunes set up to automatically download your podcast on a weekly basis, I discovered the thing through this site and don't know where I would post such a review. It doesn't come up unless you actually use the 'store' thing to discover things.
Hmm, well, if you search the store for "Conlangery Podcast" you pretty much go right there. Heck, last time I checked an iTunes seach of "conlang" pulled up fully three podcasts. Part of the reason I started Conlangery is that the only other conlanging podcast is the LCS Podcast, which is insanely slow to put things up. The third podcast seems to be about someone's personal conlang, and appears to be dead.
stinger wrote:Apparently iTunes has to review a review, so it's not visible yet, but you all have at least one five star review on iTunes now.
Thanks! I didn't know iTunes did that, but it doesn't surprise me. Maybe I will read your review on the show.
George Corley

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

About Japanese "particles": They're clitics phonetically (for pitch, they're treated as part of the previous word) and they attach to noun phrases:

太郎と花子を見る
Tarou=to Hanako=wo mi-ru
Tarou AND Hanako ACC see-NPST
see Tarou and Hanako

Japanese isn't middle-endian like English so "the Queen of England's nose" is unambiguous. But for historical reasons we call them particles anyway.

Edit: I normally write them with a space instead of = because I don't really care enough.

(Whenever you sound uncertain or ask a question on-air I feel like being helpful)
Last edited by Bob Johnson on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I think you need to cut out a lot of the hesitation moments in your podcast. It can be quite slow-going at times. Will's problem is slightly different; when he has the floor he'll sometimes make a dramatic pause, and I think it'd be better if he just got on with what he's saying.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

finlay wrote:I think you need to cut out a lot of the hesitation moments in your podcast. It can be quite slow-going at times. Will's problem is slightly different; when he has the floor he'll sometimes make a dramatic pause, and I think it'd be better if he just got on with what he's saying.
i thought the point of a podcast was to let people talk normally. people hesitate at times.

also, none of the three sound like they take dramatic pauses...more like they are recalling something, or waiting after they and another individual say something at the same time.
MadBrain is a genius.

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

finlay wrote:I think you need to cut out a lot of the hesitation moments in your podcast. It can be quite slow-going at times. Will's problem is slightly different; when he has the floor he'll sometimes make a dramatic pause, and I think it'd be better if he just got on with what he's saying.
Normally it isn't so bad but this episode the hesitation and "uuuuh" moments were so bad it interfered with communication. I still haven't finished listening to the podcast because I needed a break. I fast fowarded a little t get past some of the hestiation and it still wasn't done. But frankly Will and Bianca left George out to dry this week. Bianca didn't seem present for most of it, unless she was censored out (except for the zipper noises). Wow, that came off kinda mean and I don't mean it to be. It was just distracting was all.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Přemysl wrote:(except for the zipper noises)
It always sounds like tearing paper to me; I always think of Bronson Pinchot in that horrible movie adaptation of Langoliers.

Overall I don't think the "unprofessional" noises and pauses destroy the ... "goodness" of the thing; it would be better not to have them, but I can live as-is.

Edit: Overall it sounds like sitting at a table with 3 other people and looking over some papers together.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Torco sounds cool on ep 16.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró