Istion - an Age of Sail Conworld.

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
L'alphabētarium
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Collab Age of Sail thing, anyone?

Post by L'alphabētarium »

Torco wrote:"ok, so there were some guys called the romans [year 0] and they went and unified the mainland politically, religiously and more or less culturally, then they got fucked by some dudes on horseback over and over again [year 500] and so the big empire became a bunch of big estates ran by chieftains. then those evolved into like feudal multi-tiered confederacies and principalities [1000] but then they got tired of the whole feudal thing, plus gunpowder and other techs allowed for like six unified kingdoms [1400] and then they discovered advanced sailing and decided to OWN ALL THE THINGS [1600, year now]"
Mmm... sounds much better in a stabler fashion like that!

So... what's next? :)
Do you count raised hands up for the project or do you name these six unified kingdoms and we take our pick?

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

I'd love to join and make a non-European swashbuckling exotic oriental conculture... although I'm already part of the Etheria project, so... yeah.

Sounds like Rule of Cool pirates and 1500s-1700s stuff then, I suppose?
I have a blog, unfortunately: http://imperialsenate.wordpress.com/
I think I think, therefore I think I am.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Nah, not rule of cool.

So what is Age of Sail ?

Age is sail is a collaboratively constructed conworld set in some fictional planet. In it, large preindustrial mercantile powers compete for economic and political hegemony, directly affecting almost every other human group in the planet. Geographically, the planet is made up of smaller continents than Earth, spread out over a large area. Technologically, while there is the diversity that can be assumed in any reasonably realistic world, the great seagoing powers of the time are around the level of the mercantile Europpean thalasocracies. While all cultures are different, the main seagoing powers of this time are characterized by:

- Advanced Sailing; this means, advanced carpentry, cartography and astronomical navigation.
- Primitive Gunpowder coexisting with swords and the like: muskets and pistols, perhaps some rifling being explored, while pikes, crossbows and broadswords are still in use
- Mercantilism

The planet is mostly covered by water, with small islands here and there.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (37.59 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
There are more detailed maps in store, but don't worry, this should be more or less enough. Mostly water, random islands.

Who am I? I'm the guy who puts together the collab, sort of a moderator, if you will. the idea is that the world be a coherent whole, as opposed to collection of personal projects. this means that some discussion on the state of the conworld is to be had.

So, I'm thinking of the following conworldological parameters:

astronomical setting: single planet, couple'o'moons, earthlike planetology, good ole yellow sun. 30 hour days, 27° axis tilt, the works, though the debate is certainly open to weirder planetologies, let's start under the assumption that it's relatively plain and terran. earthlike gravity, earthlike atmospheric density, perhaps a bit denser.
economical: a global economy is starting to develop. for the first time in the history of the planet, moving huge quantities of value-dense merchandise, like spices or gemstones, halfway across the globe is cheap enough to be a way to make a living. The last frontier, the ocean, is no longer a frontier, it's a highway.
metaphisical: I think the best thing here is to go for an ambiguous approach, agnostic, even: maybe there's magic, maybe there isn't, there certainly are folk who dedicate their lives to it, but its not like people throw fireballs and stuff.
zoology: realist to quasi-realist. maybe there are large ridable tortoises in some archipielago, but there's no dragons.
botanical diversity: earthlike, though I think one can go crazier with it: invent new kinds of cereals and, hey, maybe there's psychotropic tobacco with uses against erectile disfunction, who knows.
rule of cool in moderate effect.

Sooo yeah, that's the map.
Order of Business

Let's talk! about what you want this world to be, and your place in it, of course. Does everyone want to have their own pet superpower, for instance? or does anyone prefer the notion of lording over some traditional society, maybe a bronze-age culture fighting against the unrelenting advance of a modern invader, like the American Indians, or struggling to integrate new ideas and their own identity, like the Japanese or the Siamese. Maybe we want the situation to be one large superpower and a lot of smaller societies.

Sooo, yeah, what are you intending to create?
[and if you want to pick a bit of map, go for it, post a pic with your piece highlighted or something. ]

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Torco wrote:astronomical setting: single planet, couple'o'moons, earthlike planetology, good ole yellow sun. 30 hour days, 27° axis tilt, the works, though the debate is certainly open to weirder planetologies, let's start under the assumption that it's relatively plain and terran. earthlike gravity, earthlike atmospheric density, perhaps a bit denser.
I don't want to have extremely unearthlike things in here, just because it's too much to think about.

Torco wrote:Does everyone want to have their own pet superpower, for instance? or does anyone prefer the notion of lording over some traditional society, maybe a bronze-age culture fighting against the unrelenting advance of a modern invader, like the American Indians, or struggling to integrate new ideas and their own identity, like the Japanese or the Siamese. Maybe we want the situation to be one large superpower and a lot of smaller societies.
I'd like to be a nonsuperpower, I think. I already have a Stone Age culture fighting against blabla, so I'll go with the Japanese-esque thing.
Attachments
Moi.jpg
Moi.jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 3755 times

Earthling
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Earthling »

[quote=Torco]constructed conworld[/quote]
Constructed constructed world?

(sorry)

Interesting, but I'll be busy with the reconstruction relay.
This post brought to your computer all the way from Earth.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I present to you, Straioland

Scale: 4000 kilometers by 2000 kilometers, Molloweide projection.
Straioland.PNG
Straioland.PNG (46.99 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
And this is in equirectangular, climatewise, with green as evergreen forest, and that orange-thing as temperate forest. coastal sky-blue is shallow seas, and inland blues represent taiga. [though, naturally, you can alter the climate as you see fit, this is just the Chairman's suggestion]
Straio equirectangular.PNG
Straio equirectangular.PNG (47.5 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
May awesome things be found in Straioland.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Torcoland, my piece is 1100 by 2400 kilometers, here it is.
Claims so far.jpg
Claims so far.jpg (86.77 KiB) Viewed 3741 times

My own piece's map.
Torcoland.PNG
Torcoland.PNG (58.5 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
I think I'll have a second-rate mercantile power, like france perhaps, with high density and development, and heavy but not hegemonic presence abroad.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Torco wrote:May awesome things be found in Straioland.
They most certainly shall.

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

Would this world allow clockpunk (or even steampunk), given that this world is already kind of like Piratepunk or Oceanpunk or something? What about sky pirates or air machines and such things?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

cybrxkhan wrote:Would this world allow clockpunk (or even steampunk), given that this world is already kind of like Piratepunk or Oceanpunk or something? What about sky pirates or air machines and such things?
Not yet, I wouldn't have thought... Especially the flying. If they could fly already there'd be no point in it being Age of Sail, because it'd be Age of Flying because flying > sailing.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

cybrxkhan wrote:Would this world allow clockpunk (or even steampunk), given that this world is already kind of like Piratepunk or Oceanpunk or something? What about sky pirates or air machines and such things?
Hummm... nope, rule of cool is only in moderate effect, much below any 'punk' threshold. plus, what straio said.
You might have a culture that makes heavy use of clockwork, maybe even one that managed to pull out an analog computer, but from there to clockwork condors and stuff... I don't think so.

if that's not a dealbreaker for ya, hop on aboard.
=)

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Age of Sail - a collab conworld sprouting

Post by maıráí »

I want the bit in yellow, but can I have the red if it's not too much? I plan on having lots of in-fighting.
Maybe a local superpower and some smaller identities / one smaller identity trying to break away.
(I couldn't choose between pet-superpower and Japanese-esque, heh.)

Edit:
:o
If we can have such large spaces, then can I just include the really close islands?
Last edited by maıráí on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

Torco wrote:Hummm... nope, rule of cool is only in moderate effect, much below any 'punk' threshold. plus, what straio said.
You might have a culture that makes heavy use of clockwork, maybe even one that managed to pull out an analog computer, but from there to clockwork condors and stuff... I don't think so.

if that's not a dealbreaker for ya, hop on aboard.
=)
Well, asking for clockwork da vinci tanks and steampunk robots would probably be a bit too much, but I was thinking more in the lines of plausibility - like the machines of da Vinci that have been proven to work or could possibly work would be at most what I'm thinking of. (I myself don't like heavy clockpunk/steampunk, and I tend to significantly downplay it when it appears in my conworlding to "clockpunk lite" and "steampunk lite" that is just barely beyond plausibility... but just barely so.)

Granted, anyways, I'm still part of the Etheria project right now, but I wouldn't mind joining this. The real dealbreaker for me ( :mrgreen: ) would be how the various powers would be balanced in this conworld. Are we aiming for something like real world history (or rather the popular imagination of it) where we have a bunch of European colonial powers, some established Asian/Middle Eastern empires/states to trade with, and everybody else as either colonized or tribes about to be colonized? Or will the concultures be more even, where we might have, say, Asian-esque and African-esque concultures colonizing those primitive disease-ridden Europeans? Or will it be just a free for all sort of thing?

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

I'm already in Etheria...
Pōphouq.png
Pōphouq.png (30.86 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
...bout I would like to claim this region. I would like to have one of the major powers, but "major" as in it has colonies, but not a whole bunch of them. How would one claim far off colonies on this map? Or would far-off colonies be decided at a later time, once the main players are added?
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

May I claim the boreal circumpolar area? Is the indicated area in excess? (I'm guessing that there's a bit of projection distortion up there on the map.)

Is it also possible to have the inhabitants of this area be a fairly major power in the setting?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (31.27 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Yay for claims
Land of the Valium.PNG
Land of the Valium.PNG (38.76 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
And for Leaci
Leacciland.PNG
Leacciland.PNG (24.83 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
@Rorschach: yes, it's a bit too much of land, and since the annual average temp around here should be like -12/-15, I don't think anything more than hunter-gatherers can develop over there. Of course, you could have your guys come from the circumpolar regions and have settled somewhere else to become agricultural and advanced and shiz, there's a pretty nice spot right north of my islands, and you're welcome to it.

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

Ack, might as well make my claims too and hop on board. Another collab project can't hurt. My claims are in the attachment. (I had a hard time deciding between this one and the spot north of Lyhoko's... but I'll take this one, if no one minds. The islands to the north and east could be contested by me and Lyhoko, which could be fun)

I'm thinking of making some Swahili-EasternMediterranean (i.e. Turkish/Byzantine)-Persian-Sinbad-Greek people. Is it okay if I partially 'import' a (very much not-worked-on) conculture from one of my other conworlds? I figure it could use some work since they'd be awesome.

Also, Torco, I think you missed this, but your thoughts: (?)
cybrxkhan wrote: Granted, anyways, I'm still part of the Etheria project right now, but I wouldn't mind joining this. The real dealbreaker for me ( :mrgreen: ) would be how the various powers would be balanced in this conworld. Are we aiming for something like real world history (or rather the popular imagination of it) where we have a bunch of European colonial powers, some established Asian/Middle Eastern empires/states to trade with, and everybody else as either colonized or tribes about to be colonized? Or will the concultures be more even, where we might have, say, Asian-esque and African-esque concultures colonizing those primitive disease-ridden Europeans? Or will it be just a free for all sort of thing?
EDIT: Changed my claims map very slightly, added the one little island to my north if no one minds.
Attachments
claims 2.png
claims 2.png (31.64 KiB) Viewed 3689 times

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Torco wrote:@Rorschach: yes, it's a bit too much of land, and since the annual average temp around here should be like -12/-15, I don't think anything more than hunter-gatherers can develop over there. Of course, you could have your guys come from the circumpolar regions and have settled somewhere else to become agricultural and advanced and shiz, there's a pretty nice spot right north of my islands, and you're welcome to it.
Thank you. I'll take you up on that offer.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (33.06 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I don't think balance being a huge deal of a problem here. So far it's shaping like small-to-medium colonial thalassocracies; mine, Lyhoko's, and some of the factions in valium's land. Straio's folk are going to be the mighty and proud but anacronic culture, if I gather it correctly. Someone's pet peeve might actually be a much more aggressive seagoing power; indeed, there should be at least one highly aggresive faction on the seas, in order to produce interesting conflict and contact and the such, in order to drive globalization forwards, so to speak. The dwellers of my easternmost island are good candidates, I imagine them as extremely militaristic and with a universalist, civilizatory side, and the frequent conflict with some factions of the western, more peaceful dudes might allow them only intermittent attempts at world dominance, which makes for interesting stuff like forsaken colonies and the like.

Anyway, we'll see how the balance thing goes. For now, new order of business[1]: okay, okay, you claimed your island or islands: think about what's in them, and the role you want those guys to play in the overarching scheme of things.

1 [though folk might still claim bits and pieces]

I'll be posting stuff about my guys during this week. extra points for:

- it would be neat if someone codified all the claims everyone has made
- growing a wiki somewhere [somewhere reliable, like wikia, is best, I think]
-. write about your island, of course, placing emphasis on the relationship it has with the rest of the world: the age of sail is, after all, about globalization.

PS: awesome, Ror! we'll have fun freezing ou asses off. and with only a week's travel between our islands, there shall be much trade and much war amongst our folk.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I want in tooooo! :D
Mine:
Attachments
worldmap1.PNG
worldmap1.PNG (38.37 KiB) Viewed 3674 times

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

Hmm. Sounds good.

Alright, so just a couple of brainstorming ideas for mine:

My people are the Qicui, who were originally composed of various ethnic groups that are now united - somewhat - by an as-of-yet undecided common religion, and because of this and other factors they're pretty mixed, with loyalties towards not ethnic groups or the religion per se but towards their city-state/homeland. The city-states are somewhat aggressive not militarily but economically, trying to dominate key trade routes and get access to lucrative resources such as spices or silk or gold (assuming such things exist in trade-able quantities). That is, they compete against each other as well as other groups. There might be a couple of larger city-states that function more like large kingdoms or federations per se, but otherwise there won't be any overarching power ruling a large majority - or even a significant minority - of the Qicui lands.

Also, I'm fine with starting the wiki but only if no one else wants to, since I'm still a little inexperienced with the wiki stuff. I can also work on the claims map if anybody needs to, since I sort of did that with Etheria.

Lastly, will our world have a name? Like Etheria and Yucop had names... makes it easier to refer to things and also the Wikia will need to be named after it anyways.

EDIT: Aesethic style will be a mishmash of clockpunk/steampunk (i.e. Renaissance/Victorian), Middle Eastern, and eastern Meditteranean (i.e. lateRoman/Greek/Byzantine/Turkish), and maybe east African. The mess is justified since the Qicui were originally composed of various ethnic groups. Plus I don't think anyone would object to at least this part being somewhat rule of cool. Also, I'm thinking the Qicui will have developed some clockwork technology, but, again, nothing too heavy like clockwork computers or robots.
Last edited by cybrxkhan on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

cybrxkhan wrote:Ack, might as well make my claims too and hop on board. Another collab project can't hurt. My claims are in the attachment. (I had a hard time deciding between this one and the spot north of Lyhoko's... but I'll take this one, if no one minds. The islands to the north and east could be contested by me and Lyhoko, which could be fun)

I'm thinking of making some Swahili-EasternMediterranean (i.e. Turkish/Byzantine)-Persian-Sinbad-Greek people. Is it okay if I partially 'import' a (very much not-worked-on) conculture from one of my other conworlds? I figure it could use some work since they'd be awesome.
Yes... I thought about claiming those islands inbetween outright, but then I decided that the rest was a good enough sized start. There could be expansion though... I'll probably just import the Ancaron culture more or less, with modifications to fit the region, but plug in a totally different language. (Which is supposed to be the proto language for Zukish... This'll be a good excuse to finally work on it.) And I'll probably have Victorian-era clothing (or basically steampunk style clothing, but without the steampunk.) Three misspelled words in a row... maybe it's time for me to go to bed..., which when combined with Ancaron culture, equals guys in dresses and corsets... or maybe I'll leave the corsets to be used as torture devices...

And since it is Ancaron culture, they'll be militaristic, but they won't be likely to actually start a war, they'll try to trick the other party into starting the actual fighting.

I'm assuming cannons are available?

No more climate maps?
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I have all the info in a Fractal Terrains worldfile, which I'm uploading into dropbox as I type; suggested climate map [though it sometimes works a bit iffy, just set the temperature settings at 1,1 greenhouse, 1,03 sunlights and 3,3 albedo, for some reason it de-configurates into some sort of ice age for me], altitude maps, and all. I prefer humans to draw rivers and stuff, since rivers are so important to civilization.

Oh, and I've decided, my people will be zie evil pipolz. I once was into the idea of trying to do a culture as evil as I could while still not having them be caricatures that acted just for the evulz and great injustice. I'll be trying to do just that now, so they'll be:

- slavers
- prone to breaking other people's trading conditions and agreements
- likely to harbor pirates
- highly cosmopolitan, thus an escape valve for malcontents, political dissidents and other undesirables of different nations.
- meritocratic

Okay, enough Sailing for me for today, good night. The FT file is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19348113/Age%20of%20Sail.ftw, I hope that's the public link, though. I'll post climate maps and the such tomorrow, if I find the time after the office.

Amuere
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Amuere »

I'd like to hop onboard. I think my culture will be a pacifist merchant kingdom, I don't want to be a superpower, maybe a lesser major power if that makes sense. Strong enough to be noticed, but not taken as a serious threat by a superpower...(think pre- Russo-Japanese War Japan)
Attachments
Amuere's claim.png
Amuere's claim.png (64.77 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
Tjalehu ge frulehu, tjea ale stjindamihu? Dime sfraiaknanmi.

Economic: -7.33
Social: 0.31

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

The black is my claim, if no one already has it. I'd like the two islands in red to be disputed between me and someone else nearby. I may put some token locals on it caught in the middle.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (33.32 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast