Istion - an Age of Sail Conworld.

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Istion - an Age of Sail Conworld.

Post by cybrxkhan »

Most of the groups in my conworld are either Asian or Caucasian, or, more commonly some combination thereof. Blame it on my 2nd generation Asian upbringing. ALthough there are African-esque, Native American-esque, Middle Eastern-esque, and other esques.
Torco wrote: maybe, I'm not sure about the migratory pattern scheme I came up with, myself, seems a bit simplistic. you need like an altitude map with a lower sealevel or something? come up with an alternative! =)
I wish I had a lower sea level map or something. *shrugs*

But whatever. I'm not too worried about it.
I have a blog, unfortunately: http://imperialsenate.wordpress.com/
I think I think, therefore I think I am.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:I've had dark skinned ethnic groups and ethnic groups with epicanthic folds, but not combined...
I dunno. It exists in the real world.

Besides, I don't care who you put them on, epicanthic folds are sexy!
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

It's always a wonder to me how such specific things have real names.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Theta wrote:It's always a wonder to me how such specific things have real names.
?
George Corley

L'alphabētarium
Lebom
Lebom

Post by L'alphabētarium »

Ollock wrote:
Theta wrote:It's always a wonder to me how such specific things have real names.
?
Epicanthic folds? :?:

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

L'alphabētarium wrote:
Ollock wrote:
?
I was thinking that's what you meant. I'm not sure what "real name" means, but when you think about it it's pretty obvious that anthropologists would have to have some name for the trait, and it's a much better and more accurately descriptive term for it than "slit eyes" or "slanted eyes".
George Corley

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Ollock wrote:
L'alphabētarium wrote:
Ollock wrote:
?
I was thinking that's what you meant. I'm not sure what "real name" means, but when you think about it it's pretty obvious that anthropologists would have to have some name for the trait, and it's a much better and more accurately descriptive term for it than "slit eyes" or "slanted eyes".
I always called them "that structure at the top of the bridge of the nose, which partially shades the eyes, and is bigger in Minbari than in humans"
MadBrain is a genius.

L'alphabētarium
Lebom
Lebom

Rodlox wrote:I always called them "that structure at the top of the bridge of the nose, which partially shades the eyes, and is bigger in Minbari than in humans"
That could work tōô!

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Rodlox wrote:I always called them "that structure at the top of the bridge of the nose, which partially shades the eyes, and is bigger in Minbari than in humans"
Not knowing what Minbari are, I might take that to mean brow ridges or somesuch.
George Corley

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Přemysl wrote:Image
Reinforcing my point about brow ridges.

Besides, those clearly represent bony extensions to the nose and brow there, not folds of skin.
George Corley

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

yeah, that's not what an epicanthic fold is xD

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Torco wrote:yeah, that's not what an epicanthic fold is xD
He did have kind of the right idea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Epica ... ighted.JPG

Just yeah, a skin fold and straight up bone are not the same thing.

Also, looking at the information, it seems "epicanthic" comes from the fact that it covers an area known as the "canthus".
George Corley

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Ollock wrote:
He did have kind of the right idea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Epica ... ighted.JPG
that's it? that ranks up there with "abbreviation" when it comes to things not being as big as their word suggests. :)

so basically, the epicanthic fold is why Caucasians (who lack it) have folds and wrinkles around our eyes when our eyes are open; while people who have epicanthic folds, in contrast, don't have anything like that to disturb the smoothness of their skin.

okay. i always thought that was a cool feature...never thought it had a name.
not the bone...the skin next to it...I did compare it to an umbrella or a shade, right? my computer left me wondering if that edit went through.

take your index finger and place it against your nose where the nose meets the eye socket/brow ridge...the spot your fingertip is occupying - I'd noticed people with skin right there. (so we're all on the same page)
MadBrain is a genius.

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Okay I have decided that the whole of Istion is to be populate by -8000. I hope that this could be accepted by everyone.
Attachments
migrations1.PNG
migrations1.PNG (207.14 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Turtazounyan migration and Estabishment of nation.

13500 The founding population is one man and his six wives.
13250 Population has expanded enough and exploration vessels sent out to discover new lands for the children of Turt and his azou (wives, -ou - feminine plural)
New colony established with 49 people, 7 men and 42 women.
13200 further expansion and colonisation
13000 complete colonisation of the Turtazounyan archipelago
Attachments
Turtazounya2.png
Turtazounya2.png (20.62 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Double post
Last edited by Turtlehead on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

THE EPIC OF TURTAZOUNYA

In the year 12000 the Turtazounyans had establish 22 independent tribes, These existed peacefully for 2000 years.

In 10000 Tarat was born to the Turddu tribe in the region of Turddu. The Turddu were neighbours to the Tardda, Terdde, Torddu. Tarat was born to the chief Tyrt, descended from the great Demi-god, Turt and his first wife Az. Tarat herded Cattle, when he was seven he drank from a stream tainted by Turtazounyan nettle, poisonous to everything but the Khakher butterfly. Tarat began to hallucinate, Bicht began to speak to him. Bicht proposed you are going to be the greatest son of Turta and will unite his children until the ocean swallows the Tharhed.

Tarat recovered from the hallucination and held the memory of that day to his grave. At 14 Tarat was iniciated into the order of the bull, the elite Turddu warrior order. At 21 Tarat was old enough to obtain a wife, on the shortest day in the year 9979 Tarat first son of Tyrt leader of the Turddu tribe lead a raid on the Tardda tribe. He slayed six men grabbed one women and 49 chickens and return to his fathers house. There Tyrt granted Tarat lands, 49 cattle and 343 warriors.

Tarats wife was the most beautiful women, the most beautiful woman since Az. Tarat named her Fegad, Fegad gave birth to Tarat's first born in 9978. Tarat named him Teret. Tarat lead a raid on Tardda again in 9970, This time Tarat conquered them and took their holdings as his. Tarat married Fegad's four sisters. In 9960 Tarat married his sister to maintain the purity of the Turddu house.

In 9950 Tarat has trained the greatest army of the time. In 9949 Tyrt died, Tarat lead the precession to Tharedd. There he saw the Island and its landscape, the remembered his vision and at ceremony for his father, Tarat gave his precession Nganga, the smoked it and as the ceremony went on the smoke rose and Tarat began to speak his vision as he became the head of Turddu and his word law.

In 9949, The Turtazounyan calender begins. 0T, Tarat lead a holy war and conquered Terdde and Torddo. Turddu had become great in the 51st year of his life. He built roads and boats and no person was hungry in his land. Cattle, chickens, Khaff, Khoth and Bees abounded in the land. Every inch of land was productive and so Tarat the great was the first king in the archipelago.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

L'alphabētarium
Lebom
Lebom

Turtlehead wrote:Okay I have decided that the whole of Istion is to be populate by -8000. I hope that this could be accepted by everyone.
blahblah.PNG
Sounds good to me!
Is everyone else ok with it? If so... it should be uploaded asap.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Rodlox wrote:
Ollock wrote:
that's it? that ranks up there with "abbreviation" when it comes to things not being as big as their word suggests. :)

so basically, the epicanthic fold is why Caucasians (who lack it) have folds and wrinkles around our eyes when our eyes are open; while people who have epicanthic folds, in contrast, don't have anything like that to disturb the smoothness of their skin.
Sort of. If you mean the fold on the eyelid itself, in some people with epicanthic folds, the crease of that fold is basically even with the edge of the eyelid when the eyes are open, resulting in "single eyelids". In others, it can be further up and visible, just like many people without epicanthic folds, resulting in "double eyelids"*. You could almost consider the whole thing a continuum from straight up single eyelids at one end all the way to "hooded eyes" (where the folding is so far back you can hardly see it, and the round eyes seem "hooded" by the brow) on the other.

Yeah, I spend way too much time looking at eyes.

*PS: My sister-in-law's mother is one of many East Asians who actually underwent surgery to turn her single eyelids into double eyelids, as it is considered more beautiful in East Asian cultures (I disagree with that).
okay. i always thought that was a cool feature...never thought it had a name.
There are a lot of features with interesting names. I'm still looking for a living person with "shovel-shaped incisors". It's apparently a Homo erectus trait that I've heard still exists in some Asian and American Indian populations.
not the bone...the skin next to it...I did compare it to an umbrella or a shade, right? my computer left me wondering if that edit went through.

take your index finger and place it against your nose where the nose meets the eye socket/brow ridge...the spot your fingertip is occupying - I'd noticed people with skin right there. (so we're all on the same page)
Yeah, that would be an epicanthic fold, I think. I was referring to the pictures I saw of Minbari. It looked like the prosthetics there were meant to suggest a bony structure there, rather than just folds of skin. As such, the structure Minbari show doesn't seem to appear in humans (at least not modern humans). Thus, the comment that Minbari have larger epicanthic folds than humans is suspect. Besides that, I tend to leave fictional aliens out of my definitions of human morphology*.

*Morphology in the biological sense, not the linguistic one.
George Corley

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

*whimpers* you're confusing me.
yes, I know, not terribly difficult.

first you give the impression that, yes, the epicanthic folds are part of the eyelid/eye....
Ollock wrote:
Rodlox wrote:
Ollock wrote:
Sort of. If you mean the fold on the eyelid itself, in some people with epicanthic folds, the crease of that fold is basically even with the edge of the eyelid when the eyes are open, resulting in "single eyelids". In others, it can be further up and visible, just like many people without epicanthic folds, resulting in "double eyelids"*. You could almost consider the whole thing a continuum from straight up single eyelids at one end all the way to "hooded eyes" (where the folding is so far back you can hardly see it, and the round eyes seem "hooded" by the brow) on the other.

[/quote[

then you say that, yes, the epicanthic fold is in front of/over the eyes...
Yeah, that would be an epicanthic fold, I think. I was referring to the pictures I saw of Minbari. It looked like the prosthetics there were meant to suggest a bony structure there, rather than just folds of skin. As such, the structure Minbari show doesn't seem to appear in humans (at least not modern humans). Thus, the comment that Minbari have larger epicanthic folds than humans is suspect. Besides that, I tend to leave fictional aliens out of my definitions of human morphology*.
or is it both? (it is part of the eyelid and in front of the eyelid?)
MadBrain is a genius.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Rodlox wrote:*whimpers* you're confusing me.
yes, I know, not terribly difficult.

first you give the impression that, yes, the epicanthic folds are part of the eyelid/eye....

or is it both? (it is part of the eyelid and in front of the eyelid?)
It's part of the eyelid. Wait, was your original definition that it was in front of the eyelid? I missed that somehow.
George Corley

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

soooo... do we want migration history to be reflected in phisical characteristics of people? like the nearer the center the blacker, the further from it the redder/browner, and some random dudes being white?

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

Torco wrote:soooo... do we want migration history to be reflected in phisical characteristics of people? like the nearer the center the blacker, the further from it the redder/browner, and some random dudes being white?
I dunno... I wanted my guys to be a whole mix. But maybe that can be justified by having subsequent and numerous migrations afterwards.

Also, when d'you think we should have our next reports? I suppose I need motivation to start working more on the Qicui.
I have a blog, unfortunately: http://imperialsenate.wordpress.com/
I think I think, therefore I think I am.