Akana Conlang Relay 2011 (The Never Ending Relay)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Akana Conlang Relay (Standing Under the Mistletoe.)

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Basilius wrote:And what Darkgamma has posted so far didn't look quite finalized
It isn't :)
I have exams in two weeks, and a book thicker than my fist to study
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Darkgamma wrote:
Basilius wrote:And what Darkgamma has posted so far didn't look quite finalized
It isn't :)
I have exams in two weeks, and a book thicker than my fist to study
I wasn't trying to hurry you guys, I was just trying to give Team One a benchmark to compare our progress to theirs. I know most of our stuff still has a ways to go, but we are probably well over half way there, as a group, right? And as for WeepingElf, we'd love to have you back! The info about Trinesian that's online already is more than enough to give Team One lots of useful data. And the missing details about the proto-language can probably be filled in through consensus. But it would still be nice to have you back whenever you have the time.

Anyway, I'd still like to know how much progress Team One has made. Is your proto-language finalized? Have you started writing? Are any of you close to uploading to the wiki? Roughly how much time do you think you'll need to finish (or at least get most of the way?)
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

We have the phonology and morphology of the protolang settled, and some basic info about syntax and usage exists too (but probably not enough that everyone in our team understands how certain elements are supposed to work). There's also a basic lexicon, which still needs to be expanded, and a few entries need to be adapted to fit the finalised protolang phonology. Also, we haven't covered grammatical function words in detail yet. As for the daughterlangs, some of us have posted an outline of their sound changes, but that's it afaik.

I'm currently working on a description of syntax and usage for the protolang. Family business has slowed me down a bit, but I'll have more time from tomorrow on. It will still probably take me another two or three days to get it to a point that people can really start thinking about grammatical changes in detail. From there, work on the daughterlanguages can proceed more steadily, so my current estimate is that we should be able to put up the first sketchy daughterlang descriptions on the wiki by mid-January.

/goes back to work...

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Bump.

I'm attempting to get back in the saddle as far as my university studies go and have only just now received the new link to the fora (thanks x 10⁶, cedh!) but rest assured that I have not forgotten about the relay.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Nor I.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Hmm... I guess it shows I almost never come around the C&C forum, but are there any chances I could join either of the teams?

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

All good with me at least :) I don't think we're in danger of getting "saturated" here. Since there's more area to play with, I'd recommend team 1, but remember that (a) this is all subject to the approval of other people in the project, especially on whichever team you join, and (b) one you join a team you can never switch! (Scary.)

EDIT: Now that's Darkgamma's gone, there's a vacancy in Team 2, if you want to join.

For my part, I'm still working on Katatuti, albeit slowly; the lexicon is coming along now, and I'm thinking about syntax.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

the duke of nuke wrote:EDIT: Now that's Darkgamma's gone, there's a vacancy in Team 2, if you want to join.
Count me in!

Alright, I just spent ~50 minutes reading every single post so far in this thread (I still can't believe that it was posted in early November and I managed to ignore it all along until Jan. 25th), and one thing: is dunomapuka still in team 2?

So now the teams are like this:

Team 1: Caleone, Rorschach, cedh audmanh, Earthling, dhokarena56, treskro, Corumayas
Team 2: Darkgamma, the duke of nuke, caedes, brandrinn, Basilius, dunomapuka, Serafín

I may have quite a number of other questions once I get to see how the team's doing at the secret Akana forum for it. I have already created an account there (Serafín), and will patiently wait for cedh audmanh to give me the rights to see it.

EDIT: Corumayas is in team 1, dunomapuka is indeed in team 2.
Last edited by Ser on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Yep, still in. My language is Jouki Stəy. It's spoken out on the easternmost part of the mainland (i.e. Jouki).

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Serafín wrote:I may have quite a number of other questions once I get to see how the team's doing at the secret Akana forum for it. I have already created an account there (Serafín), and will patiently wait for cedh audmanh to give me the rights to see it.
Done.

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

Aw.
Why have I not joined earlier :(
Warning: Recovering bilingual, attempting trilinguaility. Knowledge of French left behind in childhood. Currently repairing bilinguality. Repair stalled. Above content may be a touch off.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

dunomapuka wrote:Yep, still in. My language is Jouki Stəy. It's spoken out on the easternmost part of the mainland (i.e. Jouki).
I see. I asked as this would mean there's currently 6 members in Team 1 and 7 members in Team 2.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

It doesn't really hurt. On the list you assembled earlier, you missed Corumayas as a member of Team 1, so...

I've still reset your status on the Akana forum to "no team member" for the time being though, because it seems you want to take a well-informed decision before you can't switch anymore, and the logs indicate you can't have read anything on the Team 2 Secret board yet anyway. Well, you can join either team if you like (and Wattmann can do so too, although it would probably be a good idea for the two of you not to join the same team), so here's something to base your decision on:

Judging from what I've seen of Team 2's daughterlanguages so far, their protolang must be easier to work with than ours (which is at least complex enough that I still haven't been able to put up a full grammar sketch for it, although this is also partly due to time constraints on my side.:() So if you want to have an easier time deriving your daughterlanguage but a comparatively harder time reconstructing the other team's protolang, join Team 2. If you want to have a challenge when deriving your daughterlang but an easier time in reconstruction, join Team 1.

If you want to ask questions in real time, drop by at irc://irc.sorcery.net/akana to see if someone's there who may answer them. (I'll be there for the next few hours; maybe someone else visits too...)

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

I guess I'll just join team 2.
cedh audmanh wrote:It doesn't really hurt. On the list you assembled earlier, you missed Corumayas as a member of Team 1, so...
I must've missed some post where Corumayas made it clear he was participating (instead of just following the thread).

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

And the cursed relay is back! My personal comp is close to unusuable at the moment, though fortunately I have other options.

EDIT: My comp seems to have died for good... Windows fails to load even in safe mode, all I get at the most is the mouse, floating, in a gaping darkness.

Earthling
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Earthling »

I can't do this. I'm dropping out.
This post brought to your computer all the way from Earth.

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

Earthling wrote:I can't do this. I'm dropping out.
Aw
Can I replace :) ?
Warning: Recovering bilingual, attempting trilinguaility. Knowledge of French left behind in childhood. Currently repairing bilinguality. Repair stalled. Above content may be a touch off.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Wattmann wrote:
Aw
Sure. If you create an account at the AkanaForum, I can add you to Team 1. Some of the notes in our secret forum may be a bit confusing for newcomers, but I could give you a briefing on IRC tomorrow evening (i.e. Jan 31, around 22h CET or a bit later).

@Earthling: What's wrong?

@Serafín: Oh dear. Not that curse again! I hope it's not contagious this time, and I hope you can manage to get your computer running again soon (and don't lose any important files)!

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sorry to hear this - I hope it's not causing you too much stress.
Serafín wrote:And the cursed relay is back! My personal comp is close to unusuable at the moment, though fortunately I have other options.

EDIT: My comp seems to have died for good... Windows fails to load even in safe mode, all I get at the most is the mouse, floating, in a gaping darkness.
Good luck in getting it fixed. Let's try and fight the curse :P
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

cedh audmanh wrote:
Wattmann wrote:
Aw
Sure. If you create an account at the AkanaForum, I can add you to Team 1. Some of the notes in our secret forum may be a bit confusing for newcomers, but I could give you a briefing on IRC tomorrow evening (i.e. Jan 31, around 22h CET or a bit later).
And, now what am I to do?

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

I hoped that would be clear from reading the first page or two of this thread... :?

Basically, create a daughter language of the Team 1 protolanguage (details on the forum), but without giving away the diachronics or indeed anything about the parent. Then, when the relay ends, you take part in reconstructing the Team 2 protolang from its daughters, while Team 2 attempt to reconstruct yours.

One more thing - the team subfora in the AkanaForum are private, so you can use the Team 1 subforum to discuss development of your language without anyone not in the team seeing it.

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

Not that. I realised from the first posts as I actually have read them, but I got no permissions and see only the public board :(

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

I am also still in, though the whole matter has very low priority for me.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Wattmann wrote:Not that. I realised from the first posts as I actually have read them, but I got no permissions and see only the public board :(
My apologies. Not a lot I can do about it, as I only have privileges for Team 2 - Cedh or Corumayas will have to add you to the group.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Wattmann: I have added you to Team 1, so you should be able to see the private board now. If you have questions or get drowned in out-of-date material, my offer for a briefing on IRC still stands. ;)