Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #94: Face and Politeness)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #34: Gender)

Post by finlay »

A quick note about the awards – 11 may seem a low number considering the ZBB's total membership of 2200, but first of all, the active membership is probably 10% or less than that, and not that many people do end up voting in the awards. I think we maybe had 20 people voting this year. It's not done by committee or anything, just whoever turns up in the thread. Plus, the threshold that Radius set for the "Special Award" was 10 votes as a minimum, to make sure that enough people really thought the winner would be worthy of the award.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #35: Prac - Get Rid of Ca

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Good topic. I am working on a non-configurational language with polypersonal agreement and the problem of disambiguating two 3rd person arguments keeps rearing its ugly head. Noun classes and noun incorporation address this problem quite well, although they face some major limitations of their own like sentences where both arguments belong to the same class or direct objects too bulky to incorporate into the verb.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Who the hell would want to get rid of case?
It's like taking away the blood of the language!
Anyway, what's language without some added redundancy

Also, these zombie smilies suck 8)
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

^Weren't you leaving?

And anyway, there are other ways to handle things without cases. That are interesting. Which is exactly what the podcast is about. Go check t out.
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Wattmann »

vampyre_smiles wrote:^Weren't you leaving?

And anyway, there are other ways to handle things without cases. That are interesting. Which is exactly what the podcast is about. Go check t out.
Don't pay attention to him. He knows that already. You're just feeding his trollsense.

And, yeah, it's interesting, this podcast. There's somethings in it I've never heard of, and that's slick :-D
Warning: Recovering bilingual, attempting trilinguaility. Knowledge of French left behind in childhood. Currently repairing bilinguality. Repair stalled. Above content may be a touch off.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I can't get it to fully download either from the site or from iTunes...

Never mind, it was either my computer or the network I was using...

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #36: Morphosyntactic Alig

Post by Ollock »

Getting this out early, since it was already Monday by the time I got it edited: Conlangery #36: Morphosyntactic Alignment
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #34: Gender)

Post by Rodlox »

a question - do Malagasy names use class or pronouns? I ask because of a passage in the front of Lords and Lemurs by Dr Alison Jolly:
Names of people from the plateau begin with Ra (Sir, Madam) or Andriana (Lord, Lady). Tandroy names often skip the prefixes.
so, at first sight, it looks like pronouns...but I can't help but wonder if they were used as a class as well (a "distinguish us from the non-Plateau folk we rule over" class)

thoughts?
MadBrain is a genius.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I want to support George on the use of /kəˈroʊnəl/ here. If you say /ˈkɒrənəl/ it sounds like a coroner, or coronary heart disease or something. :P (And on a more serious note, that's how I've always heard it.)

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Ossicone wrote:Image
Did you add the <l> to that yourself?
George Corley

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #37: Phonological Process

Post by Ollock »

George Corley

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #37: Phonological Process

Post by Rodlox »

excellent work.

the four of you did a great educational discussion.
MadBrain is a genius.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #38: Derivational Morphol

Post by Ollock »

George Corley

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Oh BTW, this came up yesterday on the channel when I listened to #37: Wouldn't it make sense to invite people to talk about their conlangs with you if they have Skype and are willing, when you discuss their language as the episode's featured conlang?

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Guitarplayer wrote:Oh BTW, this came up yesterday on the channel when I listened to #37: Wouldn't it make sense to invite people to talk about their conlangs with you if they have Skype and are willing, when you discuss their language as the episode's featured conlang?
That's true. Unfortunately we are too lazy to invite people to come on :P

Also, ANNOUNCEMENT: Bianca may be leaving the podcast soon. William and I could probably do it on our own, but the third voice ads something to the conversation, so I really would like to have a third host. I will be contacting a few people personally, but anyone who wants to try out can contact me through the Conlangery email (conlangery@gmail.com). Give me your Skype handle, any conlangs you have created (hopefully with links) and a (short) statement about your knowledge of linguistics and reasons you would benefit the show. After that you can audition over Skype.
George Corley

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Ollock wrote:Also, ANNOUNCEMENT: Bianca may be leaving the podcast soon. William and I could probably do it on our own, but the third voice ads something to the conversation, so I really would like to have a third host. I will be contacting a few people personally, but anyone who wants to try out can contact me through the Conlangery email (conlangery@gmail.com). Give me your Skype handle, any conlangs you have created (hopefully with links) and a (short) statement about your knowledge of linguistics and reasons you would benefit the show. After that you can audition over Skype.
1. NOO, don't leave, Bianca!

2. If you must go, I hope it is to bigger and better things, and I wish you all the best of good luck and good fortune.
MadBrain is a genius.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Ollock wrote:
Guitarplayer wrote:Oh BTW, this came up yesterday on the channel when I listened to #37: Wouldn't it make sense to invite people to talk about their conlangs with you if they have Skype and are willing, when you discuss their language as the episode's featured conlang?
That's true. Unfortunately we are too lazy to invite people to come on :P

Also, ANNOUNCEMENT: Bianca may be leaving the podcast soon. William and I could probably do it on our own, but the third voice ads something to the conversation, so I really would like to have a third host. I will be contacting a few people personally, but anyone who wants to try out can contact me through the Conlangery email (conlangery@gmail.com). Give me your Skype handle, any conlangs you have created (hopefully with links) and a (short) statement about your knowledge of linguistics and reasons you would benefit the show. After that you can audition over Skype.
Turns out I should be free on Monday mornings, so I might be able to do it. That said, this particular Monday I had, uh, company; I don't know if that'll become a recurring thing...

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

finlay wrote:Turns out I should be free on Monday mornings, so I might be able to do it. That said, this particular Monday I had, uh, company; I don't know if that'll become a recurring thing...
Did I talk to you on Skype before? I think we were considering you for a guest at one point.
George Corley

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Ollock wrote:
finlay wrote:Turns out I should be free on Monday mornings, so I might be able to do it. That said, this particular Monday I had, uh, company; I don't know if that'll become a recurring thing...
Did I talk to you on Skype before? I think we were considering you for a guest at one point.
You mentioned it; we didn't actually talk on Skype though. I'll email you.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I discovered, just now, that South Eresian was featured back in October. The language was not presentable yet (and still isn't), and I was going to submit it to have it reviewed when it is in a more presentable state. As it stands, you got quite a lot of things wrong about my work just by guessing at stuff (that was kind of painful to listen to). Having it featured without my permission or even notification is really not cool with me.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Risla wrote:I discovered, just now, that South Eresian was featured back in October. The language was not presentable yet (and still isn't), and I was going to submit it to have it reviewed when it is in a more presentable state. As it stands, you got quite a lot of things wrong about my work just by guessing at stuff (that was kind of painful to listen to). Having it featured without my permission or even notification is really not cool with me.
I am very sorry to have offended you. Our general policy is to review whatever conlangs we find interesting that have been posted on the Internet (and thus already publicly published). It would be impractical for us to contact every conlanger we feature as many do not have easily accessible contact information. Since there are so few conlangs out there, we often end up reviewing languages that have incomplete or unclear documentation. That said, we probably should take a little more time and attempt to contact those people who are available, such as yourself.

My goal with the Featured Conlang segment is to show off the work of the community, and engage in a little bit of reviewing. Our vetting has failed once or twice, but I do believe that our featuring of South Eresian was due to our own enthusiasm for it, despite the lack of a formal grammar from which to learn about it (we felt the blog had enough information about it). If at some time you publish a canonical grammar that you would prefer us to talk about, feel free to send it to me and I will gladly put it on as a revisit.
George Corley

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Ollock wrote:It would be impractical for us to contact every conlanger we feature as many do not have easily accessible contact information.
You do...what, one show a week? Besides, even if some conlangers are hard to get a hold of, others are not. Your policy of not even making an effort to contact any of them because some of them will be hard to find is pretty stupid.