Post your conlang's phonology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Post your conlang's phonology

Post by Tropylium »

sirdanilot wrote:2. The distribution of dentals is surprising and one would wonder how it got that way. /tθ'/ might have come from *θ' or something.
3. The absence of /tsʼ/ is remarkable in a Salish-style language, especially considering (2) and the presence of other affricates.
Putting 2 and 2 together, I'd assume something like *tsʼ → tθʼ, probably in conjunction with *s → θ and reintroduction of /s/ from loans or something.
sirdanilot wrote:the entire point of the assimilation is to make the sequence easier to pronounce.
He said "alternation", however; and changes may also be a result of a segment affecting the sound of another, not its pronunciation.
Wattmann wrote:

Code: Select all

t    k   ʔ
    d
m   n
  s  ʃ   x
  z  ʒ
    r
Not really much worse than some existing Iroquioan systems, go with it.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Naming lang. The Khoekhoe to Tnerakhii.

p t  k kp  ʔ   p t  k  kp   x
f s      ʜ h   f s        ħ h
  z              z
 l ɫ ɰ w        l ł gh w

ǀ  ǁ  ǃ  ǂ     c' l' t' j'
ǀʰ ǁʰ ǃʰ ǂʰ    hc hl ht hj
ǀˀ ǁˀ ǃˀ ǂˀ    xc xl xt xj
ǀ͡ʜ ǁ͡ʜ ǃ͡ʜ ǂ͡ʜ    ħc ħl ħt ħj
Vowels: /a e i o u ai ã ĩ õ ũ ãĩ/, written <a e i o u ai ã ĩ õ ũ ãi>, or I might use <y ỹ> because why the fuck not.
Wattmann wrote:An idea struck me for a pretty unlikely but plausible system:

t    k   ʔ
    d
m   n
  s  ʃ   x
  z  ʒ
    r
The vowels are a bit more even:

i  iː         u  uː
ɛ  ɛː  ɜ  ɜː  ɔ  ɔː
a  aː
I wouldn't orthographicise it now, even though it would be easy.
I need your judgement on this: Should I press this on?
I like it.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

So I assumed my previous post was invisible.
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Fēlēs wrote:c. *unnamed non-SAE*

/m n ŋ/
/t k q ʔ/
/b d/
/s h/
/w l j/

/a ɔ i u/
I like this one. Reminds me a bit of a minimalistic version of my Txeric languages; Hoanu has a similar vowel system (/a ə o i/) and Enzielu has a plosive inventory of /b t d k/.
Chagen wrote:So I assumed my previous post was invisible.
No, it's just bad. Spend a few hours reading phonologies on Wikipedia and try again.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

No, it's just bad. Spend a few hours reading phonologies on Wikipedia and try again.
"It's bad, but I won't say why"

Ladies and Gentlemen, the average (un)logic of the normal ZBBer.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Instead of being an asshole you could just say "Well what specifically is wrong with it?"

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Aaaaanyway.

One benefit of not telling people every problem with something they share (besides the fact that it takes a lot of time) is that it gets you in the habit of doing work and research for yourself. The general ethos of the ZBB is that people do outside research on their own, and then come to one another for feedback.

That being said: what do you mean by "weak" and "strong" ejectives? From how you transcribed them there's no way to tell...plus breathy-voiced stops aren't anything like ejective stops, so I have no idea how I'm supposed to interpret things like "/cʼ~ɟʰ/". In fact, I'm not positive what you're using "~" to mean at all. Free variation? Or allophones? Or something else?
Chagen wrote:Either (C)V(C) or crazy Salish shit, I dunno.
Given that those are pretty much exact opposites, there's not much to comment on in this regard!

No natural human language has contrastive ingressive vowels (which is presumably what you meant by "implosive vowel" but again, I'm not positive).

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Free variation? Or allophones? Or something else?
Uh...I've used "~" on the CBB to mean free variation variants all the time. Everyone there does. I thought it was standard transcription style.
That being said: what do you mean by "weak" and "strong" ejectives?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejective#Description

"In the languages where they are more obvious, ejectives are often described as sounding like "spat" consonants; but ejectives are often quite weak and, in some contexts, and in some languages, are easy to mistake for tenuis or even voiced plosives.[2] These weakly ejective articulations are sometimes called intermediates in older American linguistic literature and are notated with different phonetic symbols: ⟨C!⟩ = strongly ejective, ⟨Cʼ⟩ = weakly ejective. Strong and weak ejectives have not been found to be contrastive in any language."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

So...you're admitting your contrast is unattested?
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Just because something is unattested doesn't mean it couldn't happen. One thing I've learned about languages is that there is no such thing as "X will never happen". You search hard enough, you'll a language that does something previously though impossible.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

n/
Image Image

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

This is stupid. The contrast it unattested, and probably unlikely because of how difficult it would be to maintain the contrast. If it were me I'd get rid of it but it's probably not impossible. But a related concern is the large number of phonation contrasts in general. And also some of the weird, unlikely free-variations.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Whimemsz wrote:This is stupid. The contrast it unattested, and probably unlikely because of how difficult it would be to maintain the contrast. If it were me I'd get rid of it but it's probably not impossible. But a related concern is the large number of phonation contrasts in general. And also some of the weird, unlikely free-variations.
I hope you never see this funny little lang called !Xoo spoken in Africa, then. Because if !Xoo can exist, ANYTHING can exist.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

I'm aware of the various Khoisan languages, but they do not, in fact, mean that in languages anything can exist.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

You shouldn't get too weird until you have a much better idea of what you're doing.

I'm just gonna keep fucking posting this until it sinks in.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

What I mean is that if a lang with fucking 111 click phonemes can exist, then surely one with some ejectives can exist, especially one in a universe that doesn't try to adhere to realism anyway.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

There is a very large difference between "some ejectives" and "an unattested contrast".

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Chagen wrote:What I mean is that if a lang with fucking 111 click phonemes can exist, then surely one with some ejectives can exist, especially one in a universe that doesn't try to adhere to realism anyway.
fallacy
Image Image

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Chagen wrote:What I mean is that if a lang with fucking 111 click phonemes can exist, then surely one with some ejectives can exist, especially one in a universe that doesn't try to adhere to realism anyway.
That's a non-sequitur, but...okay.

If you don't care about realism, then I suppose it's fine. But anything would be fine in that case. As long as you're okay with that.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Nortaneous wrote:You shouldn't get too weird until you have a much better idea of what you're doing.

I've worked on 6 conlangs, I know what the fuck I'm doing.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

and fail on the Lovecraft reference - you got it wrong anyway.
Chagen wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:You shouldn't get too weird until you have a much better idea of what you're doing.

I've worked on 6 conlangs, I know what the fuck I'm doing.
I've worked on (more than) six conlangs too. the difference is that I know better than to claim I know all there is to know.
MadBrain is a genius.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have never read a lovecraft story in my life.

The Ngith are a race in my conworld, Techaria, notable for being the best assassians on the whole planet.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Chagen wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have never read a lovecraft story in my life.
"The most merciful thing about the universe is that we cannot understand it." -Lovecraft.

on the other hand, just because you Chagen do not understand the universe, does not mean it does not make sense.
The Ngith are a race in my conworld, Techaria, notable for being the best assassians on the whole planet.
whupee.

and whom are the best assassins on Techaria? ;)
MadBrain is a genius.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Did not intend the double post.
Last edited by roninbodhisattva on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

sirdanilot wrote:1. Simply using the standard geminate symbol ː would be less confusing, imo. The fact that they aren't really that long phonetically doesn't matter, as you are describing phonemes.
I was describing long phonemes that are realized, most of the time, as long phones. I don't know where you got the idea that I was saying they weren't realized phonetically long. I was just kind of switching it Americanist transcription since I'm used to doing it when dealing with this kind of language.
sirdanilot wrote:2. The distribution of dentals is surprising and one would wonder how it got that way. /tθ'/ might have come from *θ' or something.
3. The absence of /tsʼ/ is remarkable in a Salish-style language, especially considering (2) and the presence of other affricates.
This dental affricate/fricative inventory is actually attested in Coast Salish. It comes about from *c *c̓ > θ t̓θ. That's what happened here. Also what happened here was *k k̓ x > č č̓ š.
sirdanilot wrote:I like this idea in general. Anyway, [e:r]/[er] is a bit hard to pronounce, and one would expect to keep [i:r]/[ir] in this place (or something like [ɪər] or [ɪːr] anyway). This is attested in Dutch at least. Sure, if you already have a /er/ sequence one could keep it, but assimilation of a vowel to something that is actually harder to pronounce sounds strange to me; after all, the entire point of the assimilation is to make the sequence easier to pronounce.
I don't really understand what you're talking about here.
sirdanilot wrote:The position of the glottal sounds a bit weird to me. It would give stuff like kʼaʔk, qʷuːʔq and so.
Yup. That's what I intended. Happens all the time in Salish. It's a common way of forming plurals that goes back to Proto-Salish.