Flags

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Flags

Post by Astraios »

Purple Wyrm wrote:Sssh! Don't tell the tourists that!! :)
They don't come anywhere else anyway. xD

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

what did I just say about saving flags as .jpgs

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

Here's the flag for Kasharlam. The black represents the night, the blue represents the morning rising above it, conquering it. The white square represents the region of the far north, and the blue circle represents how Kasharlam is central to that region.
Attachments
KASHARLAM!!!!
KASHARLAM!!!!
Kasharlami Flag.png (4.84 KiB) Viewed 5736 times

Purple Wyrm
Niš
Niš

Post by Purple Wyrm »

Jar Jar Binks wrote:
what did I just say about saving flags as .jpgs
And what did I say about hosting the image on Flickr which forces you to use jpgs? :-D
E¦eƒè33∫e¿ë$¿EêsSsS-E22E$§†-s - Honey, he ain't nothing but a jumped up harbour seal!

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

don't do that

Purple Wyrm
Niš
Niš

Post by Purple Wyrm »

Jar Jar Binks wrote:don't do that
...point :)
E¦eƒè33∫e¿ë$¿EêsSsS-E22E$§†-s - Honey, he ain't nothing but a jumped up harbour seal!

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

humèh ri state flag

capital city flag

regional flags
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Sierpiński triangles. Seriously?

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Maybe they're big into geometry...or mountains.

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

Maybe a tad.... identical?
Flags bare great cultural reference and are meant to differentiate the things they are representing from the others, be they regions, regiments, houses, etc.
But, of course, t'is your con world.

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

Remember, too, that one highly desirable attribute of a flag is being easy to draw. Those fractals are not easy to draw... at any rate, not quick to draw.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Lyra wrote:Maybe a tad.... identical?
Flags bare great cultural reference and are meant to differentiate the things they are representing from the others, be they regions, regiments, houses, etc.
It reminds me somewhat of the way most Scandinavian or otherwise northern European countries have the Nordic cross in their flags, just with different colors. When you take all the regional and subnational flags into account, you have dozens of flags all using the same shape. Although the duke of nuke makes makes the astute point that flags should contain simple and easily drawn iconography. The cross shape succeeds here much better than the fractal triangle one.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Yes, but the color differences there aren't as subtle, and the cross isn't fractal either. The Scandinavian flags are perfect examples for easily drawable flags.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Then you have flags like Cyprus, Albania, Kosovo, Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan, Bhutan...

I was also inspired by the mon geometric shapes on Japan municipality flags, esp. this one.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I like the tree. :)
Purple Wyrm wrote:Flag of Gorat Sûlbarn Hì (Hì): Hì is regarded as the second city of the Konsâtèum and displays its colours on its flag. The city's nickname is written across the flag, and a tranázár figure was added to the fly after the city was attacked by the creatures in 1975.
What? The city was attacked by dinosaurs so they put one on the flag to honour them. It makes no sense.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

sirred
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sirred »

Feles wrote: Image

regional flags
Must be a bitch if there's a civil war and you're color-blind and trying to find friendlies.
In every U.S. presidential election between 1976 and 2004, the Republican nominee for president or for vice president was either a Dole or a Bush.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Qwynegold wrote:What? The city was attacked by dinosaurs so they put one on the flag to honour them. It makes no sense.
Perhaps they are showing deference to the dinosaurs, deliberately honoring them in the hopes that they will not attack their city again.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

Or a show of defiance and valaince:

"Yo, dawg, we got attacked by DINOS, man! DINOS! But we still here... we still chillin'..."

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

Purple Wyrm
Niš
Niš

Post by Purple Wyrm »

Qwynegold wrote:
Purple Wyrm wrote:Flag of Gorat Sûlbarn Hì (Hì): Hì is regarded as the second city of the Konsâtèum and displays its colours on its flag. The city's nickname is written across the flag, and a tranázár figure was added to the fly after the city was attacked by the creatures in 1975.
What? The city was attacked by dinosaurs so they put one on the flag to honour them. It makes no sense.
The attack was pretty ineffective - only 14 of the things turned up and were quickly dispatched. It quickly became a celebrated incident in the city's history, and the creatures have become a kind of city-mascot, hence the eventual placement on the flag.

I can't recall a specific example off the top of my head, but there are plenty of real places here on Earth where cities have vicious animals on their heraldry, because some king or hero or someone important killed one locally.
Lyra wrote:"Yo, dawg, we got attacked by DINOS, man! DINOS! But we still here... we still chillin'..."
Yeah, and there's a bit of that too :)

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Maybe the ruins of the dinosaur attack are the main tourist draw in Hì, so they put it on the flag to remind the tourists of the dino ruins. Please come see our dino ruins!

Purple Wyrm
Niš
Niš

Post by Purple Wyrm »

clawgrip wrote:Maybe the ruins of the dinosaur attack are the main tourist draw in Hì, so they put it on the flag to remind the tourists of the dino ruins. Please come see our dino ruins!
Certainly the three skeletons in the city museum are one of the city's major tourist draws.

I've actually got the full account of the attack written up somewhere. I'll have to track it down and post it.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

the duke of nuke wrote:Remember, too, that one highly desirable attribute of a flag is being easy to draw. Those fractals are not easy to draw... at any rate, not quick to draw.
Yeah - if you think of them as the actual idealised fractals, they would take infinite time to draw. And be 100% white. :D

And the Kasharlam flag, to be honest, it's not very inviting. It just looks cold.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Purple Wyrm wrote:What? The city was attacked by dinosaurs so they put one on the flag to honour them. It makes no sense.
The attack was pretty ineffective - only 14 of the things turned up and were quickly dispatched. It quickly became a celebrated incident in the city's history, and the creatures have become a kind of city-mascot, hence the eventual placement on the flag.[/quote]
OK. lol
Purple Wyrm wrote:I can't recall a specific example off the top of my head, but there are plenty of real places here on Earth where cities have vicious animals on their heraldry, because some king or hero or someone important killed one locally.
Aha. I was thinking it was akin to Aceh putting a wave on their flag for celebrating the 2004 tsunami.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

Lyra wrote:Maybe a tad.... identical?

~Lyra
wiphala of qulla suyu

wiphala of kunti suyu

wiphala of chinchay suyu

wiphala of anti suyu

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

Jar Jar Binks wrote: