Siųa

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Siųa

Post by Nortaneous »

MONOBA wrote:The nasalized vowel simply does not have distinction between open, closed, short or long because it is always the result of -un-/-um- or -on-/-om- + C (so it is always short and closed).
Ah. You should probably add that to the grammar, because the impression that I got from the chart, at least, was that it could appear in other positions.

What happened to other V[n/m]C clusters?
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

Here is a glossed text:

Katitsġovahimi ỉnginekni onuiddįiumi savla besġotima. Tsavmumohkia niṡenotiulima, mintįai on kehhųai on kumostai te taga aihhausta sised muvma nuoįomi, sġonamo ka uvnįa miengila pilkehhųaįagi. Osoavkiulami soakuhta tįibe okęhubengomehri, sġehta riekumi gagi te nįunoma. Imahhįupiami onta totõrita-go sihdi tsusivmo te magga nilotsta, dia katta omṡia ilįadna, ilįa toarka, hausġela te sủhma siaįomi. Dia ogia ỷksy pỉhra, pįahpi-go mehiu pialįenotiprima. Ỉngiugge ủki gosulhamo arrui, ogįeiska sigvima saįo saigi. Ỉhhiu tahhita abma kõvkie liovva-hi kivtįa kieskamiudi. Oni suodnatami. Tatįoimủ on ỉngiumi, saṡkaba nõ ka saṡvimi. Nuidniaṡimi Sỷdi gala kume eleba te luorri tahhua. Koġoggoiu on sehmeiska nonutta ruovti, miumui ka miehdita nivvos. Ukediksiuįa neulkiue gagi ohkuri tįita kįohko. Ukedahtiu sepsestaįa ivta bauvvibiahhelita nenotsuttaigge. Mimi keddua Siųa, tảmṡita-go kimi. Netami onka, kivla kokkia-go oda, tugįuniki katta. Toni on ugįukkami, moni ka maserįeni. Te ko, pihhui tami oṡkįu-ko deitata. Įủnalata, onitįa avvi data kesuemi komo sahhįantaita, iįomui įu noai uįononorota deita!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7216892/pial%C4 ... iprima.pdf

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

It looks like Sámi and Lithuanian had a baby that ran away to North America and got shared about between a bunch of Algonquian languages who dressed it in very pretty clothing to disguise its non-North-American-ish-ness...

I want its babies.

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

Wow! That is indeed very close to what happened! However, Lithuania was not involved. I don't know who the father was, but he must have been one handsome dude.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I think the Lithuanian is in the CiV sequences. Maybe it was an illicit affair and Sámi didn't tell you it was Lithuanian who impregnated her. :o

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

Siųa's mom definitively found Lithuanian to have a really hot bod. But I think she found him stupid – it was just lust.

By the way, here is a blog:
http://saskaba.blogspot.com/

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

Here is part of the chapter on tense marking. Lots of examples and a lot of glossed ones too.
This only for the past vs. non-past.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7216892/tenses.pdf

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

You need to make lessons. :D

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

You are right. But it will have to come much later. I also don't think I'm very good at lessons. They'd be straight out of 1944.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

MONOBA wrote:You are right. But it will have to come much later. I also don't think I'm very good at lessons. They'd be straight out of 1944.
Sometimes those kinds of lessons are better. :)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

By the way, I keep updating the blog pretty frequently.

I'll try to gloss the latest entries tonight. And work on correcting the verbal morphology section. I might be able to show you a pretty close to finish-version soon enough.

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

The adjective section is on its way to being done. Here is the preliminary version. Any comments would be welcome.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7216892/adj.pdf

James0289
Sanci
Sanci

Post by James0289 »

This document is sexy.... especially the map! :D

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

Here is an updated version of a few of the first sections (3-8). It's 188 pages long but it should get longer once I get to adding more examples.

This covers sounds, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions and postpositions.

Next are verbs, a huge section.

Here it is!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7216892/correction1.pdf

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

Here is a little text that I read quickly. I also changed my voice to see how it'd be to hear someone else speak siwa.

Oni ko katatsġovami rahkanta, heskvau daġe savvu seitototima deįo.
Tįadnamõ onta oįusta sikvubmaikka, nįůgůkkake kimi ảlka vevvi de, tatalįasamõ katta ủhtaketa, ykįake kimi lyra deiko. Unaųine lyra geilhimi ảlkita, ubogįikkahtimõ įu tonkamo gala oda. Rikkiamõ on te sohhohi kemṡie diehhįa dẻ, kataġaispamõ ka hobmiska sahrutta ủki. Oni koasġamõ, ỷrhutįu atįita õutrỉhta kevta duo.

Now I will give you advice should you ever burn your skin.
First you will have to find bright white birch (bark), to wrap around the wound. Then you will have to make a deep cut into a balsam fir from which to collect the resin. The resin will be used as an ointment into the wound, which will then be wrapped tightly with sinew. You will have to open the roll every morning and evening, and you will have to rinse away the layer of dead (skin) with fresh water. Do as this says until the skin scars into new pink skin (lit. newfallen snow skin).

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

It's a sin against conlangery that this isn't better known.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

Haha. Well I'm working hard and keep on adding more and more to the "book". I'm just at the beginning of verbs now, and I guess I will keep showing you the progress as I go along. The ultimate goal remains to have a book I can hold in my hands, bring everywhere and eventually learn the god damn language to fluency with. But maybe I'm being too ambitious.

So far this is how I see the book being (bold is completed, whether updated or not):

1. Introduction to the project
2. Introduction to the Alopian language family and Siwa
2a. Introduction to the geography of the land
2b. Siwa culture
2c. Siwa history
3. Phonology
4. Noun Morphology
5. Adjective Morphology
6. Adverb Morphology
7. Conjunctions
8. Postpositions
9. Verb Morphology
10. Pronouns
11. Numbers

12. Syntax
12a. Noun phrase
12b. Verb phrase
13. Derivation
14. Texts
14a. Conversation
15. Dictionary
16. Lexicon
18. Modernisation
19. ??
20. Profit

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

I remember seeing something (was it a draft) about your verbal morphology.
Also, if you're going to publish that book, maybe print on demand, I'm so buying.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

I'll let you know! And yes, I do plan on printing at least one copy for myself. I'll have to be buried with it though!

I'm updating the verbal morphology right now, whatever is out there is out of date. It should be there soon-ish, hopefully before winter.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

You have a strange concept of soon xD
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Purty.

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

I have hundreds of pages to correct, reorganize, rewrite and then change the layout of it all. It's a lot of work, and I can go weeks without conlanging.
:-D

Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pinetree »

MONOBA wrote:Here is a little text that I read quickly. I also changed my voice to see how it'd be to hear someone else speak siwa.

Oni ko katatsġovami rahkanta, heskvau daġe savvu seitototima deįo.
Tįadnamõ onta oįusta sikvubmaikka, nįůgůkkake kimi ảlka vevvi de, tatalįasamõ katta ủhtaketa, ykįake kimi lyra deiko. Unaųine lyra geilhimi ảlkita, ubogįikkahtimõ įu tonkamo gala oda. Rikkiamõ on te sohhohi kemṡie diehhįa dẻ, kataġaispamõ ka hobmiska sahrutta ủki. Oni koasġamõ, ỷrhutįu atįita õutrỉhta kevta duo.

Now I will give you advice should you ever burn your skin.
First you will have to find bright white birch (bark), to wrap around the wound. Then you will have to make a deep cut into a balsam fir from which to collect the resin. The resin will be used as an ointment into the wound, which will then be wrapped tightly with sinew. You will have to open the roll every morning and evening, and you will have to rinse away the layer of dead (skin) with fresh water. Do as this says until the skin scars into new pink skin (lit. newfallen snow skin).
I like it. It sounds like a combination of Finnish and Korean.

MONOBA
Lebom
Lebom

Post by MONOBA »

Korean? That's a first! I usually get Finnish but I honestly don't really hear it. Maybe visually, but the sounds are quite far from Finnish.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Sounds more like Ume Sami than Finnish or Korean.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano