Post your conlang's phonology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Ulan
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Post your conlang's phonology

Post by Ulan »

Haha its been a while since I've posted

/m n ŋ*/ [m n ny]
[pʰ tʰ cʰ kʰ ] <b d j g>
[p t c k] <p t c k>
[t͡sʰ tɕʰ] <ds dz>
[t͡sʰ tɕ] <ts tz>
[ β s ɕ~ʂ x~h~ç ] <f s z h>
[ j~ɰ ɬ~l ] <y l>

-A syllable is considered heavy if it has a coda (regardless if it is pronounced), or carries a long vowel or a diphthong, otherwise it is considered light. It is rare to have a syllable t have a coda and a complex vowel-
<m n d l k h z> can show up in coda positions, but typically <n> nasalizes the preceding vowel, <l> usually only lengthens the preceding vowel, and <k d> are skipped except in very formal situations, to some speakers they are lenitioned into fricatives in this position or are pronounced as [ʔ]
<p t k> can form clusters with <l y> in syllable initial positions,
<z> takes a more retroflex position (contrasting with the usual alveolo-palatal) in places where there was a historical [*ɹ]
<h> is pronounced /h/ when in a light syllable, /x/ when in a heavy syllable, or as [ç] when around <i ii u>
<y> is pronounced [j] when in a heavy syllable or at the beginning of a word, otherwise [ɰ]
<l> takes a lateral positioning in heavy syllables

[i y ɯ~u][ <i ii u>
[ɛ~ɜ~ɔ ə] <e o>
[a~ä~ɒ] <a>

[ɛi ai ɑu ɛː aː] <ei ai au ee aa>

[ u] assumes /ɯ/ in light or non-initial syllables, except when near [o]
<e> and <a> are centralized when isolated or near <o>. but assume [ɛ a] respectively when around <i ii> or [ɔ ɒ] when around <u>, <e> is pronounced [ɔ] in heavy syllables as well

I'm still not sure what I should do with the vowels, or weather to keep [c cʰ]
Last edited by Ulan on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

8Deer wrote:
Risla wrote:Aymara has ejectives without phonemic glottal stops.
So do Quechua, Georgian, Itelmen, Ossetian and Tsez. So I was dead wrong there, sorry.

Now I wonder, are there languages with aspirated consonants that lack /h/?
The sixth paragraph of this section of a Wikipedia article says that it's a linguistic universal that an language with aspirated consonants must also have a glottal fricative. However, this statement is not linked to any source, so it could be bullshit.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Standard PRC Mandarin is a counterexample. It has aspirated consonants, but no [h].

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

8Deer wrote:
So do Quechua, Georgian, Itelmen, Ossetian and Tsez. So I was dead wrong there, sorry.

...Aymara has aspirated consonants and no /h/. (It does have /x X/ tho)

ZackBishop
Niš
Niš

Hi, I'm new here.

Post by ZackBishop »

The proto-language to which this belongs is currently saddled with the humdrum monicker of "proto-A" -- I didn't want to commit to an eponym until I had some rules that I liked for the language.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone cares to offer, both on linguistic plausibility and aesthetic reactions.
Phonology
Phonology
Proto-A_Phono.JPG (70.68 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
(I just noticed the squiggly red auto-spellcheck lines in the image; please accept my apologies. D'oh!)

For those wondering about my reasons for the sounds above: I liked the voiceless sonorants in Icelandic, and I thought it would be interesting to have a language that doesn't contrast voicing and voicelessness on obstruents but does so on a range of sonorants. I looked around to see if there were any universals I was breaking; the only one I noticed was that in every language with voiceless sonorants, they apparently always contrast with their regular voiced versions (according to Wikipedia). There was a side note that such sounds are rare enough to appear in only about 5% of the world's languages.

I also looked for precedent, and found that there actually is one: Standard Tibetan. It contrasts a voiced /l/ and voiceless /l̥/ without having phonemic contrast in obstruents. For range of contrasting voice in sonorants, the phonology of Iaai is pleasantly exotic -- a bit more exotic than I wanted for this inaugural effort.

Things that worry me:

(1.) I've been considering adding the voiceless nasals /m̥/ and /n̥/. I'm less sure about /ŋ̊/.

(2.) /l̥/ is similar but distinct from the fricative /ɬ/; when I hear people demonstrate the way the latter sounds (e.g. in Welsh) it sounds (to me, at least) like they let their tongue go slack and let the air sort of blurp out from the side. The way I've been pronouncing /l̥/ (by way of contrast) is to set my tongue pressed against my top front teeth, just as if I was going to make a clear /l/ sound, then to hiss the air out. It sounds "crisper" to me, if that makes any sense at all.

(3.) As an addendum to the above: In my internal notes the voiceless sonorants are all digraphs prefaced with an "h": hr, hl, hw, etc., and that's more-or-less how I pronounce them. Should these be analyzed as single phonemes (possibly with preaspiration) or as consonant clusters? I've seen the voiceless /w/ designated as /w̥/ in Iaai, /ʍ/ in Cornish, and as /hʷ/ in certain English dialects (and in the Gothic alphabet it gets the unique letter "hwair" [ƕ]). Are these all roughly the same sound, or are there complexities and subtleties that I as a newbie am overlooking? I'm so unsure about the /hj/ sound that I failed to include it above: it sounds like the the /hj/ in "Houston," but the article over here has me second-guessing myself as to how to list it. Expert guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to everyone here for your time.

Solarius
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Solarius »

8Deer wrote:

Mandarin.
Yo jo moy garsmichte pa

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Ni hao?
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

[x]

it should be clarified that ejectives are NOT oral plosive+glottal stop, and aspirates are NOT oral plosive+glottal fricative, although in some ways they resemble those, given that the glottis is where voicing happens. aspirates are better defined as a delay in the onset of voicing (although yes, [h] is voicelessness without anything happening in the oral tract), while ejectives are a different airstream mechanism, where the glottis is completely closed as in a glottal stop, but it makes a kind of movement to increase pressure behind the articulator. certainly one does not imply presence of the other, that is ridiculous.

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

finlay wrote:[x]

it should be clarified that ejectives are NOT oral plosive+glottal stop, and aspirates are NOT oral plosive+glottal fricative, although in some ways they resemble those, given that the glottis is where voicing happens. aspirates are better defined as a delay in the onset of voicing (although yes, [h] is voicelessness without anything happening in the oral tract), while ejectives are a different airstream mechanism, where the glottis is completely closed as in a glottal stop, but it makes a kind of movement to increase pressure behind the articulator. certainly one does not imply presence of the other, that is ridiculous.
I had read previously that aspirates do not occur in languages that don't have [h]. Thank you for pointing out that it's wrong.

ZachBishop, I really like that phonology and I believe there is natlang precedent in a Native American language somwhere for a voicing distinction on sonorants but not obstruents.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

8Deer wrote:Now I wonder, are there languages with aspirated consonants that lack /h/?
Mandarin.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Acid Badger »

8Deer wrote:Now I wonder, are there languages with aspirated consonants that lack /h/?
Sinjana wrote:Standard PRC Mandarin is a counterexample. It has aspirated consonants, but no [h].
Solarius wrote:Mandarin.
Feles wrote:Mandarin.
Has anyone mentioned Mandarin yet?

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

BY THE WAY, I JUST THOUGHT I'D LET YOU KNOW: MANDARIN, A LANGUAGE WHICH CONTRASTS ASPIRATED WITH DE-ASPIRATED CONSONANTS, HAS NO /h/. THAT IS ALL.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

What about Chinese.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Eandil wrote:What about Chinese.
Which one?
MadBrain is a genius.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Rodlox wrote:
Which one?
Mandarin IIRC. But I'm not sure, previous comments seem to suggest otherwise.

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

Rodlox wrote:
Which one?
Gee, I wonder if there are any posts about that earlier in the thread?

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Vuvgangujunga wrote:
Rodlox wrote:
Which one?
Gee, I wonder if there are any posts about that earlier in the thread?
Eandil wrote:Mandarin. But I'm not sure, previous comments seem to suggest otherwise.
MadBrain is a genius.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Navajo applies for many speakers; orthographic <h> will often correspond to [x] or [χ], and the language has an aspirated series.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Avo wrote:
Sinjana wrote:Standard PRC Mandarin is a counterexample. It has aspirated consonants, but no [h].
Solarius wrote:Mandarin.
Feles wrote:Mandarin.
Has anyone mentioned Mandarin yet?
Sorry, was almost asleep and didn't switch the pages.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Taernsietr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Taernsietr »

Seriously though, are there any languages with aspirated consonants without having any of /x h/? (though they can be quite different acoustically, I'm finding that people often mistake the two in their analyses - BrPt being my prime example)

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

How do you figure out the vowels? Like if you want phonetic transcription of a word?

ZMoring
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ZMoring »

I feel kind of left out- everyone's got cool, complex phonologies. Mine is rather simple.

Plosives: /b t k/ <b t k>
Nasals: /m n/ <m n>
Fricatives: /v s ʃ h/ <v s sh h>
Approximants: /ɾ l/ <r l>
Vowels: /i e a u/

With rules as followed (an incomplete list):
-The syllable structure is (C)(/v/)V(C). When /v/ occurs between a consonant and a vowel, it is realized as [w] rather than as [v]. (e.g., /kva/ is realized as [kwa])
-/b/ and /v/ de-voice before a voiceless consonant; by the same token, they also de-voice at the end of a word, unless the following word begins with a vowel.
-Voiceless sounds voice intervocally, and between an approximant and a vowel (e.g., /alka/ is realized as [algə], Romanized as alga)
-/n/ varies between [n] or [ŋ], depending on the speaker.
-/h/ is realized variously as [h], [x], or as a silent letter, depending on the speaker.
-The sequences /ɾl/ and /lɾ/ are impossible; the first becomes [hl~xl~l:], and the second [hɾ~x~r:], depending on the speaker.
-The sequences /vu/ and /uv/ are possible, but are realized phonetically as [wo] and [oʊ], respectively (Romanized as <vo> and <ov>).
-/i/ is realized as [j] before another vowel
-/a/ is realized as [a] normally, and as [ə] when word-final.
-/e/ is realized as [e] when stressed and as [ɛ] otherwise; some dialects condense the two together into a pure mid vowel, [e̞]. There are also some rather complex rules regarding an epenthetic "e" and consonant-based affixes, but I don't really know how to describe the rules properly.
-Stress is normally penultimate in stems. The stress doesn't change when affixes are applied.
"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet." -- Vladimir, Waiting for Godot
"Nonsense! Time enough to think of the future when you haven't any future to think of." -- Prof. Higgins, Pygmalion

Ulan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ulan »

I don't see anything egregiously bad with that, ZMoring
You don't need a digraph for [ʃ] since you have a bunch of unused glyphs, you could do something along the lines of [s ʃ] <c s>
Why do you only have a voiced bilabial stop, and only a devoiced dental and velar stop?
Also your bits with 'depending on the speaker' could be refined to '<n> varies between [n] or [ŋ], depending on the surrounding syllable' and create some rules that add in some allophones if you want a broader inventory

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

This is just nitpicking, but for this rule:

-/e/ is realized as [e] when stressed and as [ɛ] otherwise; some dialects condense the two together into a pure mid vowel, [e̞]. There are also some rather complex rules regarding an epenthetic "e" and consonant-based affixes, but I don't really know how to describe the rules properly.

I'd expect the opposite, I don't have a solid explanation, but maybe I have this impression because stressed syllables tend to be open in the languages I speak, so [ɛ] for stressed and [e] for unstressed appears more natural to me. I'd like a second opinion on this though.

ZMoring
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ZMoring »

Ulan wrote:I don't see anything egregiously bad with that, ZMoring
You don't need a digraph for [ʃ] since you have a bunch of unused glyphs, you could do something along the lines of [s ʃ] <c s>
Why do you only have a voiced bilabial stop, and only a devoiced dental and velar stop?
Also your bits with 'depending on the speaker' could be refined to '<n> varies between [n] or [ŋ], depending on the surrounding syllable' and create some rules that add in some allophones if you want a broader inventory
I tend to avoid "c" because it has about a billion different pronunciations, but I like your idea. I also like your suggestion for the allophonic rules; this is my first language that I'm actually planning to follow through past a rough phonology and a few words, so help and suggestions are appreciated :)
The voiced labials are just for personal preference; I dislike the sound of voiceless labials. "P" and "f" sound comedic to me for some reason.

Eandil wrote:This is just nitpicking, but for this rule:

I'd expect the opposite, I don't have a solid explanation, but maybe I have this impression because stressed syllables tend to be open in the languages I speak, so [ɛ] for stressed and [e] for unstressed appears more natural to me. I'd like a second opinion on this though.
Ah, thank you. I must sheepishly admit that I got them reversed. Thanks for catching that!
"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet." -- Vladimir, Waiting for Godot
"Nonsense! Time enough to think of the future when you haven't any future to think of." -- Prof. Higgins, Pygmalion