Akana Conlang Relay 2011 (The Never Ending Relay)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
L'alphabētarium
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Team Reconstruction Event Take II

Post by L'alphabētarium »

Nope, not doing. It's better the way it was before. And you're requesting entry into something you didn't start. You can't just go around declaring things, that's rude and unwanted.
Oh shut up! When I said "I'm in" it was before clear teams were created. I assumed everyone who chose a team was in that team. See? No supervision creates chaos!! :?

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

Like I said, don't be rude. The teams had already been agreed on. and at least most folks agreed to it being only 6 people per team. You can't just dictate terms without consensus, this is a collaborative project after all.
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

L'alphabētarium
Lebom
Lebom

Caleone wrote:Like I said, don't be rude. The teams had already been agreed on. and at least most folks agreed to it being only 6 people per team. You can't just dictate terms without consensus, this is a collaborative project after all.
I proposed, I didn't dictate!. No-one has to follow my proposal.
And cutting anyone out of this without him/her knowing or understanding is faaar more rude!

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

L'alphabētarium wrote:
Caleone wrote:Like I said, don't be rude. The teams had already been agreed on. and at least most folks agreed to it being only 6 people per team. You can't just dictate terms without consensus, this is a collaborative project after all.
I proposed, I didn't dictate!. No-one has to follow my proposal.
And cutting anyone out of this without him/her knowing or understanding is faaar more rude!
When did I cut anyone out? Just assking. I only showed the original team list to clarify any confusion people may have had.

My Conlangs (WIP):

L'alphabētarium
Lebom
Lebom

The teams had already been agreed on...
^^^ That's when! ^^^

You know what... nevermind! It's too messy and unorganised for me to deal with...
I'm out (for good)! I'm not crazy about the phonology to begin with...

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

I'm still in, and waiting on morphology/orthography for Team 1.
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

How about we just do two new phonologies?
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

Rorschach wrote:How about we just do two new phonologies?
I'm down with that and this time we should PM them to team members.

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Last post is posted way later than intended due to phone-posting failure and I ain't about to wrestle with trying to edit it.

I am truly sorry for the carnival of failure I have instigated. I'm still willing to participate if something can be figured out. I'd support two new phonologies at this point because of all the problems that using the previous two would present—I screwed up royally for one. I'd also advise against posting everything publically.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Earthling
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Earthling »

So if I have this straight, the teams are back to this...
Team 1: Caleone, Rorschach, cedh audmanh, Earthling, Dhokarena, treskro
Team 2: Darkgamma, the duke of nuke, caedes, brandrinn, Basilius, (empty slot)
I've lost track with people coming and going...
This post brought to your computer all the way from Earth.

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

I'll come up with a temp new phonology for team 1 if everyone agrees. I have a couple ideas in mind. If Dhoky still wants to do the finall product though, he/she can.

My Conlangs (WIP):

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

Rorschach wrote:I'd support two new phonologies at this point because of all the problems that using the previous two would present—I screwed up royally for one. I'd also advise against posting everything publically.
I agree wholeheartedly. And while there's nothing wrong with being inventive, I do feel that darkgamma's outline had enough really strange features to require major changes - which is a bit unfortunate, because it had some rather nice ones too. Let's get a new phonology, and keep it in PMs.

Earthling wrote:Team 1: Caleone, Rorschach, cedh audmanh, Earthling, Dhokarena, treskro
Team 2: Darkgamma, the duke of nuke, caedes, brandrinn, Basilius, (empty slot)
I think that's right.

As for placing teams, the islands are currently reserved for development, but most of the mainland is good. I'd favour somewhere along the south coast as Cedh suggests, with the other team being in the mountains - everyone on Team 2, are you ok with taking the mountainous spot in the SE?
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

New phonologies for everyone. Less drama as well, please.

As for starting positions, I think the best options are:
In the mountains near the base of the peninsula.
In the mountains further northwest of the first place.
In the foothills above the major river valley west of the mountains.
On the south coast where the river(s) empty into a small bay.

I assume the "Great Bay" is the bay to the northeast of the peninsula, and that it is already claimed by the "Anatolionesians" in Akana lore. And the islands are taken. Remember, starting positions need not be the final location of even a single language in that language family. I'm up for whatever, so if Team 2 starts in the mountains, that's fine. We might just invade your fancy coasts and rivers anyway, who knows?
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

Sent new phonology to team 1.

My Conlangs (WIP):

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Darkgamma, I thought you were going to send us a new phonology? the one I got was the same one from before. This is problematic, because
a) it is on display in this thread giving an incentive to cheat, and
b) it is stunningly horrible.
Please send out a new phonology by PM (preferably before the next grammar update). If you'd prefer, I could write up a less insane one for you.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

brandrinn wrote:New phonologies for everyone. Less drama as well, please.

As for starting positions, I think the best options are:
In the mountains near the base of the peninsula.
In the mountains further northwest of the first place.
In the foothills above the major river valley west of the mountains.
On the south coast where the river(s) empty into a small bay.

I assume the "Great Bay" is the bay to the northeast of the peninsula, and that it is already claimed by the "Anatolionesians" in Akana lore. And the islands are taken. Remember, starting positions need not be the final location of even a single language in that language family. I'm up for whatever, so if Team 2 starts in the mountains, that's fine. We might just invade your fancy coasts and rivers anyway, who knows?
The Great Bay is indeed to the NE of the peninsula, but there are no issues that I'm aware of with placing languages there. If we have a relay starting any time after the year -2500, the Anatolionesians will have mostly packed up and left for the islands already (the idea is that the family more or less diappears on the mainland after that point) - perhaps the expansion of one of the families from this relay could be the cause of their migration. If it does become relevant, there is a short PAnat lexicon on the wiki, which people should feel free to borrow from where appropriate.

We also want plenty of space for the families to grow. In fact, why not have one family in the Great Bay area and the other on the south coast, across the mountains? That then allows for contact but also prevents too much encroaching on each others' areas.

Also, shall we go with a time period of -2000 to 0, simply since that worked for the previous relay?
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

I am offering not only to rejoin Team 2, but also to provide a new protolang.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

A time period of -2000 to 0 seems good to me. If the Anatolionesians have disappeared by then, then it probably won't be any of our proto languages that pushed them out, since we're starting a few centuries later, possibly in a completely different location. But it's still the Anatolionesians who bequethed agriculture to this part of the continent (and presumably metal working as well), so I would expect the more primitive people to their west to ape them somewhat in the trappings of civilization. It would be useful to know, for example, what Anatolionesian architecture, religion, technology, and art looked like. If Team 2 starts in -2000 just to the southwest of the Great Bay, then we will have acquired a lot of technology directly from them.

Also, I'd like to know what crops and animals are known at this stage in Eastern Tuysafa. The wiki doesn't seem to say. I know the Proto Isles crop package was pretty much your standard southwest Asia founder package. Maybe with the Great Bay we should get more creative? Maybe take a page from the Hopewell or early Chinese playbooks.

Also, has Team 1 figured out where they're going to be located yet? I think our team has decided, but I don't know about them.

Lastly, I want to apologize to Darkgamma for calling your phonology horrible. It's not horrible, it's just not going to work for us. I didn't mean to discourage you, and I hope you'll keep contributing to the project.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

brandrinn wrote: Lastly, I want to apologize to Darkgamma for calling your phonology horrible. It's not horrible, it's just not going to work for us. I didn't mean to discourage you, and I hope you'll keep contributing to the project.
It's ok. I might've been too creative.
I'll do another one.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Darkgamma wrote:
brandrinn wrote: Lastly, I want to apologize to Darkgamma for calling your phonology horrible. It's not horrible, it's just not going to work for us. I didn't mean to discourage you, and I hope you'll keep contributing to the project.
I'll do another one.
OK. WeepingElf sent one around via PM. If you both make protolanguages, we can have a quick vote on which one to go with.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

brandrinn wrote:
Darkgamma wrote:
I'll do another one.
OK. WeepingElf sent one around via PM. If you both make protolanguages, we can have a quick vote on which one to go with.
My thoughts exactly
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

What is Team 1's starting location?

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

I'd suggest that we (Team 1) start "in the foothills above the major river valley west of the mountains". That would give something like the following map for the two protolanguages:
teamlocations.png
teamlocations.png (52.21 KiB) Viewed 5821 times

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Works for me. Alright, everybody, start picking nice spots. Where will your people be after 2000 years?
Here's what I'd like to do with my own group. They cross the mountains to the south coast, staying mostly along the hills and mountains along the way.
At -2000:

At -1000:

At 0:

What do you think? If I'm blocking anyone's path, there are a few places you can squeeze by me.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Quite happy with the locations described so far. I'd like to go for the small alluvial plains on the south coast of the Great Bay (i.e. straight across the mountains, NE from brandrinn's location).

In case it proves useful, I made a post a while ago compiling the information we have on Tuysáfa's climate. The areas we're working in will mostly be those I've labelled 11 (inland plains), 12 (Great Bay), 14 (south coast), and 15 (mountainous peninsula in the SE).
Mostly the areas are warm continental to subtropical. Expect hurricanes!