Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Nortaneous »

eh, Pohnpeian is all pwehlet pwehlet mwarki pwihn lahpo pahn pwehlet wahroahmw so

you might be able to go from Pʷ to labial-velars -- I did this in one of my conlangs -- but doesn't it go the other way in Austronesian? bw > bg happened in Kinyarwanda I think, along with more C{j w} cluster fortition, so you could do that and then delete the /b/ in that cluster initially
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Mugitus
Niš
Niš

Post by Mugitus »

Anyway I can develop Linguolabials?
C

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Palatalization of labials, actually. It happened in one language I can't remember the name of. But before front vowels, p > p̪ , and then later > t.

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Theta wrote:Palatalization of labials, actually. It happened in one language I can't remember the name of. But before front vowels, p > p̪ , and then later > t.
Vanuatu?

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Any objections to:

Initial /θ ð/ > /t̪ d̪/ > /r/, Intervocallic /θ ð/ > /l/?

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

TaylorS wrote:
Theta wrote:Palatalization of labials, actually. It happened in one language I can't remember the name of. But before front vowels, p > p̪ , and then later > t.
Vanuatu?
yah, that's it. Tolomako has the full change and then Big Nambas has kept the linguolabials (I'm assuming they arose from the same process).

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

TaylorS wrote:Any objections to:

Initial /θ ð/ > /t̪ d̪/ > /r/, Intervocallic /θ ð/ > /l/?
No, though initial lenition like that is a bit unexpected (especially, I feel, with /r/, given it seems to have cross-linguistic tendencies to be forbidden initially), and it might be better to just skip straight to θ ð > r if it's not a problem. Or if you've got an alveolar set, it might be a bit more likely for d > r, and the resulting imbalance of /t̪ d̪ t/ plays out in some way. Still, it wouldn't surprise me, the others just wouldn't surprise me even more.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

d > l initially seems more likely than d > r, but #_ is an odd environment for voicing

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Vokzhen: But that's fortition and not lenition.

Anyway, I have a question too:

eː, oː :> ie, ue

Which condition would be better for this? When they're stressed, or when they're unstressed?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

I would say stressed based on Spanish. Diphthongization doesn't occur in unstressed syllables in that language, which leads to some alternation in different word forms. (It derives from short /e o/, though.)
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Qwynegold wrote:Vokzhen: But that's fortition and not lenition.
Two stages, fortition /θ ð/ > /t̪ d̪/ and lenition /t̪ d̪/ > /r/. I'd be a bit surprised by the second. It'd make a lot more sense to me if it was just directly /θ ð/ > /r/.
Qwynegold wrote:Anyway, I have a question too:

eː, oː :> ie, ue

Which condition would be better for this? When they're stressed, or when they're unstressed?
A quick, highly-biased sampling from the Wikipedia page on vowel breaking seems to show stress is common for breaking, and possibly even required (but see: highly biased sample).

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

StrangerCoug, vokzhen: Okay, thanks! :)
vokzhen wrote:
Two stages, fortition /θ ð/ > /t̪ d̪/ and lenition /t̪ d̪/ > /r/. I'd be a bit surprised by the second. It'd make a lot more sense to me if it was just directly /θ ð/ > /r/.
Oh that, yeah. But if he has contrasting alveolars, then maybe {t̪, d̪} :> wouldn't be so odd?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Qwynegold wrote:
vokzhen wrote:
Oh that, yeah. But if he has contrasting alveolars, then maybe {t̪, d̪} :> wouldn't be so odd?
A word-initial stop - especially a voiceless one - into a liquid is still pretty odd to me. Of course, there's plenty of weirder natlang changes, and as I said earlier it's not enough for me to question the validity of it, but it would definitely draw my attention.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Wouldn'r /θ ð/ → /ð̞/ → /ɹ̪/ suffice?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

How's i i: > e i?

Tiamat
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Tiamat »

KathAveara wrote:How's i i: > e i?
Didn't that happen pretty frequently in romance languages

mezziah
Sanci
Sanci

Post by mezziah »

What leads from ZERO to /ħ/? Is /autem/ to /ħad/ plausible?

And also, which was highly disputed: How can CVn clustrers turn into CʲV? Like, /cant-are/ into /kyat-/?

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Maybe CVN :> CṼ :> CV: :> CjV?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

mezziah wrote:What leads from ZERO to /ħ/? Is /autem/ to /ħad/ plausible?

And also, which was highly disputed: How can CVn clustrers turn into CʲV? Like, /cant-are/ into /kyat-/?
didn't Somali eject a voiced pharyngeal before #a? or just have h-insertion word-initially and then the h gets colored by the following vowel

you probably can't turn all CVn clusters into CʲV but could have n / _C front the preceding vowel and drop like in Tibetan

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Pole, the wrote:Wouldn'r /θ ð/ → /ð̞/ → /ɹ̪/ suffice?
To bring the topic back to my question, this is for my Future English and I want to do something interesting to the English interdentals besides just merging them with the alveolar stops. At the same time I want at least /ð/ to end up as a liquid so schwa deletion does not lead to awkward articulations for the definite article when it comes before a word that starts with an alveolar obstruent.

I have them fortition to dental stops initially because that is what occurs in my own dialect.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

TaylorS wrote:
To bring the topic back to my question, this is for my Future English and I want to do something interesting to the English interdentals besides just merging them with the alveolar stops. At the same time I want at least /ð/ to end up as a liquid so schwa deletion does not lead to awkward articulations for the definite article when it comes before a word that starts with an alveolar obstruent.

I have them fortition to dental stops initially because that is what occurs in my own dialect.
Another option would be /θ ð/ > /ts dz/, I think.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Lenition in all unstressed non-cluster environments: plausible or no?

Also thinking about a split of /o/, giving a vowel system of /a e ɤ uo i u/ with ɤ~uo vowel harmony: póto potó > póto botó > hóto buotó > hɤdɤ buotuo

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

TaylorS wrote:

Have initial obstruents voice (/θ ð/ → /ð/ → /ɹ̪/)—that's plausible enough but you'd have to voice all the obstruents, I think, or at least a natural class.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

birds aren't real wrote:Lenition in all unstressed non-cluster environments: plausible or no?
Seems fine to me. Some Berber languages have pretty broad lenition rules.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Pogostick Man wrote:
TaylorS wrote:

Have initial obstruents voice (/θ ð/ → /ð/ → /ɹ̪/)—that's plausible enough but you'd have to voice all the obstruents, I think, or at least a natural class.
At one point in its history, German voiced all syllable-initial prevocalic instances of /s/, but not any other obstruents (compare German die Sonne scheint /diː zɔnə ʃaɪnt/ with English the sun shines /ðə sʌn ʃaɪnz/), so I think voicing only /θ/ in word-initial position should be fine.