Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Porpyro wrote:Soo, if I'm debuccalizing /f/ to /h/, and feel the need to likewise debuccalize /v/ to /ɦ/...what can I do with /ɦ/? Is it plausible for /ɦ/ to simply merge into /h/?
That is entirely plausible.
Hallow XIII wrote:j > ð > ɹ
I wonder if I can posit that: θ > ɹ and ð > ɹ, or could a language just have /ð/ alone?
I have to make it fit with these lemmas:
bɪ:(?)iq > bɪ:ɹiq > bɪɹiq > biɹiq
de(?)kə: > deɹkə: > deɹk > de̞ɹk
xɑ:(?)ʊm > xɑ:ɹɨm > xɑɹɨm > xaɹim
nɑr > nar > nar > nar
ɣɔ:rok > ɣɔ:rok > ɣɔrok > ɣo̞ro̞k

So a dental fricative (which is lost in descendant) turning into an alveolar approximant may be the best solution.
bɪ:ðiq > bɪ:ɹiq > bɪɹiq > biɹiq
deðkə: > deɹkə: > deɹk > de̞ɹk
xɑ:ðʊm > xɑ:ɹɨm > xɑɹɨm > xaɹim

Secondary question:
Are these sound changes plausible?
lɔħ:a (> lɑ:ħ:a) > lɑ:χ > lɑχ > laχ
tu:ot̰ [t͡su:ot̰] > t͡sotʶ > t͡sotʶ > t͡so̞tʶ
qus [q͡χus] > q͡χos > χos > χo̞s
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Are these sound changes plausible?
For the first one I'd expect the [ɑ] not to front. Third one seems OK to me; not sure about the second one—the affrication looks plausible, but is that a creaky-voice diacritic on the /t/?
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Pogostick Man wrote:
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Are these sound changes plausible?
For the first one I'd expect the [ɑ] not to front. Third one seems OK to me; not sure about the second one—the affrication looks plausible, but is that a creaky-voice diacritic on the /t/?
Yes, that is a creaky voiced /t/, which comes from a vowel with a low-tone accent.
tu:tò > tu:ot̰ [t͡su:ot̰] > t͡sotʶ > t͡sotʶ > t͡so̞tʶ

But the /ɑ/ is supposed to front.
In open syllables:
/ɑ:/ > /ɑ:/ > /ɑ/ > /a/
/æ:/ > /ɛ:/ > /ɛ/ > /e/
/ɛ:/ > /ɛ:/ > /ɛ/ > /e/
/ə:/ > /ə:/ > /ə/ > /ə/
/ɔ:/ > /ɔ:/ > /ɔ/ > /o/
/e:/ > /ɪ:/ > /ɪ/ > /i/
/o:/ > /ʊ:/ > /ʊ/ > /u/
/ɪ:/ > /ɪ:/ > /ɪ/ > /i/
/ʊ:/ > /ʊ:/ > /ʊ/ > /u/
/i:/ > /əj/ > /əj/ > /aj/
/u:/ > /əw/ > /əw/ > /aw/

In closed syllables:
/ɑ/ > /a/ > /a/ > /a/
/æ/ > /a/ > /a/ > /a/
/ɛ/ > /ə/ > /ə/ > /ə/
/ə/ > /ə/ > /ə/ > /ə/
/ɔ/ > /ə/ > /ə/ > /ə/
/e/ > /e/ > /e/ > /e/
/o/ > /o/ > /o/ > /o/
/ɪ/ > /ɨ/ > /ɨ/ > /i/
/ʊ/ > /ɨ/ > /ɨ/ > /i/
/i/ > /i/ > /i/ > /i/
/u/ > /u/ > /u/ > /u/
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Can pharyngealization spread regressively? (It pharyngealizes the vowel, too, but that's allophonic not phonemic in the language in question.)

CVX > CˁVX
ʔVX > ʕVX
hVX > ħVX

X=ħʕCˁ

Also, does /rˁ/ > /ʁ/ look plausible (without backing plain /r/)?
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Excellent, thank you. :)

Daedolon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daedolon »

How about this one?

tʃ dʒ > t d
ʃ ʒ > s z

If not, what else can I do to get rid of /tʃ, dʒ, ʃ, ʒ/ ?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Daedolon wrote:How about this one?

tʃ dʒ > t d
ʃ ʒ > s z

If not, what else can I do to get rid of /tʃ, dʒ, ʃ, ʒ/ ?
Both of those changes are common.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Porphyrogenitos wrote:Soo, if I'm debuccalizing /f/ to /h/, and feel the need to likewise debuccalize /v/ to /ɦ/...what can I do with /ɦ/? Is it plausible for /ɦ/ to simply merge into /h/?
I don't think there's any need to debuccalize /v/ as well. Especially if /w/ isn't in the inventory, it seems very likely that /v/ instead starts acting as an approximant. It's not uncommon for one of a voiced/voiceless pair to act differently, and off the top of my head it's often a voiced one that acts out from the other pairs. If you're set on it debuccalizing, breathy-voiced vowels is probably the most obvious way to go.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I have labial, velar and labio-velar series. Is it possible for a change, e.g. palatalization, to affect the labial and the velar, but not the labio-velar?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Pole, the wrote:I have labial, velar and labio-velar series. Is it possible for a change, e.g. palatalization, to affect the labial and the velar, but not the labio-velar?
Yes, I believe so. I think that's attested in both changes from PIE and in Romance, right?
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

How stable can /a e i y o ɯ u/ be expected to be as a basic vowel system? It's one I like for my conlangs, but don't see attested in its exact form anywhere. (I know Turkish adds /ø/ to it.)
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Looks like some interpretations of Chuvash have something close, /i y ɯ u e a/ plus two vowels which appear to have once been /ø o/ but are now mostly unrounded, reduced vowels. UPSID lists Highland Chinantec as having /i y ɯ u e a ɵ/, but I can't verify that elsewhere, and it lists Huari with /i y ɨ u e o a/ but Wikipedia has /i y u e ø a/ (plus some nasal vowels). Nganasan, though, has /i y ɨ u e o a/ plus schwa and /ia ua/. (Keeping in mind the /ɨ~ɯ/ contrast is often more about interpretation than any real differences between the two.)

At a guess it not being attested is due to the unlikelihood of such a system arising, rather than instability once it does. The usual routes to front-rounded vowels won't work directly to get such a system, and the specific set of changes to get to your inventory might just be complex enough that it's not likely to arise often.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

start with a e i o u + ai oi, then e > ɯ, then ai oi > e y

or a e o i ɯ u + ai au, then u o au > y u o + ai > e
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

‮suoenatroN wrote:start with a e i o u + ai oi, then e > ɯ, then ai oi > e y

or a e o i ɯ u + ai au, then u o au > y u o + ai > e
What I was thinking of was /i ɯ e ɤ a/, then labials and labiovelars cause rounding of high vowels, with later or simultaneous ɤ>o just to maximize contrast. Such a system would probably have clear traces, though, as /y u/ and /i ɯ/ would be in complementary distribution at first, and would probably be clearly evidenced for quite a while. Diphthong monophthongization was the other thing I would consider. I'm curious if the change u>y happens with ɯ already present in the system, as it seems like it would interfere due to being "in the way;" it's rounded versus unrounded, but /ɯ/ is acoustically close enough to something like /ʉ/ I'd think /u/ would be likely to stay put.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Are these possible and realistic?
/'ma ʔa'ço̞l 'waɹ/[ma(ʔ)a'ço̞l 'waɹ] > /maʔço̞'luɹ/
/'dle̞m ʔi'ho̞ɹa/[dle̞mi'ho̞ɹa] > /le̞'miɹa/

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Are these possible and realistic?
I assume there are intermediate steps rather than simply going from one to the other, right?

(With intermediate steps the first is entirely reasonable. The second is less reasonable but can be made reasonable, because the most direct way of approaching it is basically implausible, since you are eliding a stressed syllable /'ho̞/ where adjacent unstressed /mi/ and /ɹa/ are preserved; to make this plausible would require having a stress shift before the elision takes place, to explain the pattern of elision.)
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Travis B. wrote:
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Are these possible and realistic?
I assume there are intermediate steps rather than simply going from one to the other, right?

(With intermediate steps the first is entirely reasonable. The second is less reasonable but can be made reasonable, because the most direct way of approaching it is basically implausible, since you are eliding a stressed syllable /'ho̞/ where adjacent unstressed /mi/ and /ɹa/ are preserved; to make this plausible would require having a stress shift before the elision takes place, to explain the pattern of elision.)
Yes, there are intermediate steps:
/'ma ʔa'ço̞l 'waɹ/[ma(ʔ)a'ço̞l 'waɹ] > /maʔço̞l'waɹ/ > /maʔço̞'luɹ/
Stress is ulimate if last syllable is closed, and penultimate is last syllable is open, so stress naturally shifts. Dunno about wa/u/C_C...

The second one should be more like this:
/'dle̞m ʔi'ho̞ɹa/[dle̞mi'ho̞ɹa] > /(d)le̞m'ho̞ɹa/ > /le̞'mo̞ɹa/

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:The second one should be more like this:
/'dle̞m ʔi'ho̞ɹa/[dle̞mi'ho̞ɹa] > /(d)le̞m'ho̞ɹa/ > /le̞'mo̞ɹa/
Yeah, this makes a whole lot more sense than what was there before.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

[dle̞mi'ho̞ɹa] > [dle̞m'hjo̞ra] > /le̞'miɹa/, where an unstressed, pretonic /i/ (and possibly /u/) in an open syllable metathesizes as a semivowel onto the stressed syllable. The /h/ is deleted however you want, ChR clusters simplifying, Ch clusters simplifying, whatever, and /jo/ > /i/. Those are likely to affect things you weren't anticipating, though.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

vokzhen wrote:[dle̞mi'ho̞ɹa] > [dle̞m'hjo̞ra] > /le̞'miɹa/, where an unstressed, pretonic /i/ (and possibly /u/) in an open syllable metathesizes as a semivowel onto the stressed syllable. The /h/ is deleted however you want, ChR clusters simplifying, Ch clusters simplifying, whatever, and /jo/ > /i/. Those are likely to affect things you weren't anticipating, though.
That is one way to do it; but of course it is not an obvious way, so it should be specified as individual steps, especially since those particular steps may have significant global consequences by themselves.

Another way to do it would be:

[dle̞mi'ho̞ɹa] > [le̞mi'ho̞ɹa] (consonant cluster reduction) > [le̞mʲi'ho̞ɹa] (regressive palatalization) > [le̞mʲ'ho̞ɹa] (unstressed high vowel elision) > [le̞'mʲo̞ɹa] (onset [h] elision after another consonant) > [le̞'mʲø̞ɹa] (palatal assimilation) > [le̞'mʲyɹa] (rounded front vowel raising) > [le̞'mʲiɹa] (rounded front vowel unrounding) > [le̞'miɹa] (depalatalization)

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Travis B. wrote:
vokzhen wrote:[dle̞mi'ho̞ɹa] > [dle̞m'hjo̞ra] > /le̞'miɹa/, where an unstressed, pretonic /i/ (and possibly /u/) in an open syllable metathesizes as a semivowel onto the stressed syllable. The /h/ is deleted however you want, ChR clusters simplifying, Ch clusters simplifying, whatever, and /jo/ > /i/. Those are likely to affect things you weren't anticipating, though.
That is one way to do it; but of course it is not an obvious way, so it should be specified as individual steps, especially since those particular steps may have significant global consequences by themselves.

[dle̞mi'ho̞ɹa] > [le̞mi'ho̞ɹa] (consonant cluster reduction) > [le̞mʲi'ho̞ɹa] (regressive palatalization) > [le̞mʲ'ho̞ɹa] (unstressed high vowel elision) > [le̞'mʲo̞ɹa] (onset [h] elision after another consonant) > [le̞'mʲø̞ɹa] (palatal assimilation) > [le̞'mʲyɹa] (rounded front vowel raising) > [le̞'mʲiɹa] (rounded front vowel unrounding) > [le̞'miɹa] (depalatalization)
Nah, I'll stick with lemora.
Would those have "global consequences"? Would /i/ have to palatalize all preceding consonants in every word?

I have been already wondering if metathesis and elision are on a case-by-case basis or if it is generalized? e.g. zimr > zmir, but zibr > zibr?

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:
Travis B. wrote:

Nah, I'll stick with lemora.
Would those have "global consequences"? Would /i/ have to palatalize all preceding consonants in every word?
Pretty much all preceding consonants that are specified as being palatalizable, yes, with palatalizable consonants being, say, all consonants that are not either labialized (as labialized consonants very frequently resist palatalization) or palatal (because palatalization on top of already being palatal is meaningless), with labials (as distinct from labialized consonants) often frequently resisting palatalization as well due to palatalization of labials often being perceived as coarticulation and thus being more likely to be resisted (but as we here are palatalizing /m/, labials would have to be palatalizable).
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:I have been already wondering if metathesis and elision are on a case-by-case basis or if it is generalized? e.g. zimr > zmir, but zibr > zibr?
Metathesis does often happen on a case-by-case basis, but elision generally occurs due to regular rules.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Does this look diachronically possible?
*yēxī /'jɛ:.xɪ:/['jɛ:xʲɪ:] > /jɛç/ > /jɛç/ > /jeç/
*yēxīib /jɛ:.xɪ:'ib/[jɛ:.xʲɪ:'ib] > /ʔəj'çib/ > /ʔəj'ʝib/ > /ʔa'ʝib/
*yēxīak /jɛ:.xɪ:'ak/[jɛ:.xʲɪ:'ak] > /ʔəj'çik/ > /ʔəj'ʝik/ > /ʔa'ʝik/
*yēxīex /jɛ:.xɪ:'ex/[jɛ:.xʲɪ:'exʲ] > /ʔəj'çiç/ > /ʔəj'ʝiç/ > /ʔa'ʝiç/
*yēxīat /jɛ:.xɪ:'at/[jɛ:.xʲɪ:'at] > /ʔəj'çit/[ʔəj.çit͡θ] > /ʔəj.ʝit/[ʔəj.ʝiθ] > /ʔa.ʝit/[ʔa.ʝiθ]
First, those VC syllables fuse with the previous CV syllable becoming one CiC syllable and stress changes accordingly, then some syncope occurred, and so an epenthetic/liaison /ʔə/ was added. The /t x/ here allophonically palatalize after front vowels.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

I'm sure somebody has asked this before, but I've had no luck finding it. It's famously rare for palatal or palatalized velar stops to shift to plain velars; I was just curious if anybody knew of any case where this is known or believed to have happened unconditionally.