What was your first conlang like?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Re: What was your first conlang like?

Post by WeepingElf »

Several of you mention Latin as a source of influence, or as something to compare your first conlangs to. Me, too: I contracted the "language bug" from my brother's Latin school grammar, and have been fond of the kind of rich, colourful inflectional paradigm I found in there ever since.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Is Latin taught at school in your countries?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Here it is in the highest level of secondary school.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Pole, the wrote:Is Latin taught at school in your countries?
Lots of private schools, and a few state schools (mine being one, or I'd be out of a job) Latin was very much a formative influence on me: doing Latin and French (later Italian) simultaneously is what sparked my interest in historical linguistics.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Pabappa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pabappa »

WeepingElf wrote:Several of you mention Latin as a source of influence, or as something to compare your first conlangs to. Me, too: I contracted the "language bug" from my brother's Latin school grammar, and have been fond of the kind of rich, colourful inflectional paradigm I found in there ever since.
Yeah I love Latin. I dont think many publicv schools around here offer courses in Latin, but private schools, being mostly Catholic, often (if not always) do. I trhink the theory that medical students should take Latin to better understand medical terms is losing supporters, though, since you could basically learn eveyr single Latin-derived medical term in one hour. So most people in Latin class are likely to be Catholics in a Catholic school. Buit then again, there is a public school near here in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, that offers Latin which I onlyu know because their sports team is called the Capers and they have T shirts with goats on them.

I went to Catholic school for just a few months, and didnt really learn any Latin there. I just picked it up on my own. I preferred Latin because it was compact and beautiful, though it took me a long time to realize that that's primarily because the alphabet was created specifically for the language, whereas other languages need digraphs etc because they dont have an alphabet specifically made for them. Still, I preferred Latin over the Romance langs because it was "smarter" and not decayed into an analytic language that needs a dozen prepositions and linking words just to say "I brought the bottle of wine to the party in a briefacse i had carried in my hand" (dont worry, Im not partying, i was just thinking of mny currenbt sig).
And now Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey with our weather report:

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

lagēnam vīni quam in valisiā in manū tenueram ad symposium portavi.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)