Conlang relay [relocated] (aka "The Cursed Relay")

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Akana Conlang Relay 2011 (The Never Ending Relay)

Post by the duke of nuke »

I think I understand what you mean- it's a very good point.

I also agree that Zompist's model is a good one here, as it means we have a free rein but can keep to a consistent "pattern", as with the Almean examples. (It is also much cheaper than actually making and modelling the clothes!) Anyone feel like finding or making some examples? We could ask Zompist how he made his and if we can steal the method/models. :)
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

An image search for "fashion silhouette templates" got me literally thousands of results. Most of them were less than entirely useful, as they used exaggerated model-like proportions that very few (if any) real people actually have, but there were some that looked pretty good.

This one is outlines of actual women taken from photos of them doing various poses, for example.

I ended up doing a whole new search with "men" to get some male silhouettes. There are plenty, they just get buried under the female ones. :)

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

This thing I came across a few months ago might be useful for inventing clothing styles:
http://leylinescomic.com/character-clothing-activity/

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

What do you think about the East Tuysafan languages from the 2011 relay? Should we make an ultimate deadline, e.g. in Jan 2015, after which we will make the protolangs public?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

I get the impression that Zeluzhia remains very unexplored/developed as a continent, am I right? How much work has been done on the languages / history of the continent?

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Pole, the wrote:What do you think about the East Tuysafan languages from the 2011 relay? Should we make an ultimate deadline, e.g. in Jan 2015, after which we will make the protolangs public?
I would support this, but I think we should wait for thedukeofnuke's opinion, because he's started a promising reconstruction effort for the T1 languages (and AFAIK he's planning to continue with that).

----
roninbodhisattva wrote:I get the impression that Zeluzhia remains very unexplored/developed as a continent, am I right? How much work has been done on the languages / history of the continent?
Not much. The only languages that have become canon so far are Zele (which has an interesting culture associated with it) and its close relative Kiizwaye in the northwest of the continent around 0 YP, and Jamna Kopiai plus the substrate language sketch Tipatirápai in the north-central part of the continent about 1500 years later. You're more than welcome to add more languages and cultures, of course!

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Cedh wrote:You're more than welcome to add more languages and cultures, of course!
I think I might! Been throwing around some for a Mande-ish/Atlantic-ish language tonight, would be cool to start populating the continent!

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

Cedh wrote:
Pole, the wrote:What do you think about the East Tuysafan languages from the 2011 relay? Should we make an ultimate deadline, e.g. in Jan 2015, after which we will make the protolangs public?
I would support this, but I think we should wait for thedukeofnuke's opinion, because he's started a promising reconstruction effort for the T1 languages (and AFAIK he's planning to continue with that).
Thanks for checking - I agree with the idea, since while the reconstruction so far has been rewarding, it's also time-consuming and laborious, and I have less time to spend on conlangery than I used to. I'd endorse publishing the PT1 grammar in January whether I post more or not; it'd be selfish to make everyone wait longer.
Cedh wrote:Zele [...] has an interesting culture associated with it
Heh, thanks :)
Roninbodhisattva: Zeluzhia presents a lot of opportunity for developing new cultures. It's inhabited from the mesolithic (-14000 ish) and humans probably reach the southern tip by around -6000, and what Cedh has mentioned constitutes the entirety of what's defined. Go forth and create 8)

Also, Cedh, that clothing design thing is rather neat, and I might have a try at it sometime.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

the duke of nuke wrote:Zeluzhia presents a lot of opportunity for developing new cultures. It's inhabited from the mesolithic (-14000 ish) and humans probably reach the southern tip by around -6000, and what Cedh has mentioned constitutes the entirety of what's defined. Go forth and create
I think I will! Doing some stuff in the savannah, but maybe also in the rainforests.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Just to answer the question above... there's no great secret to the clothing models for Almeopedia. I just drew them freehand, and put them in a layer in Photoshop. Then clothing can be added on additional layers.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

A couple of questions regarding affairs in western Tuysáfa:

Firstly, does anybody know if Alces is still around? He has the beginnings of a Wendoth daughter langauge posted to the wiki, though it looks like it's been years since he worked on it. I was just curious to know if he had any unpublished notes/general thoughts about the Wendoth family beyond what's on the wiki.

Secondly, as far as I can tell there's not a lot of information available on the nuts and bolts of the Kennan langauge. It appears that work on Kennan as a daughter of Proto-Isthmus was abandoned at a fairly early state, but I was curious if there was any more information to be had. I've got tentative future plans to develop a west-Tuysáfan trade creole that postdates the arrival of Kennan raiders and settlers in the region, and it would be really nice to have a basic idea of what Kennan phonology might be like and maybe a few vocabulary words to borrow.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

CatDoom wrote:A couple of questions regarding affairs in western Tuysáfa:

Firstly, does anybody know if Alces is still around? He has the beginnings of a Wendoth daughter langauge posted to the wiki, though it looks like it's been years since he worked on it. I was just curious to know if he had any unpublished notes/general thoughts about the Wendoth family beyond what's on the wiki.
He hasn't posted anything for a long time, so I think your best bet would be to try and send him a PM, either here or on the AkanaForum. Chances are he'll receive an e-mail, and he might take that as an incentive to log in once again.
Secondly, as far as I can tell there's not a lot of information available on the nuts and bolts of the Kennan langauge. It appears that work on Kennan as a daughter of Proto-Isthmus was abandoned at a fairly early state, but I was curious if there was any more information to be had. I've got tentative future plans to develop a west-Tuysáfan trade creole that postdates the arrival of Kennan raiders and settlers in the region, and it would be really nice to have a basic idea of what Kennan phonology might be like and maybe a few vocabulary words to borrow.
The phonology of Kennan is known reasonably well, but otherwise you're right that Radius stopped working on it early on. He seems to mostly have left the ZBB a few months ago so I don't think he'll read this thread, but I believe he'll still read Akana-related PMs, so you could ask him directly too.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Cedh wrote:The phonology of Kennan is known reasonably well, but otherwise you're right that Radius stopped working on it early on. He seems to mostly have left the ZBB a few months ago so I don't think he'll read this thread, but I believe he'll still read Akana-related PMs, so you could ask him directly too.
Thanks! Not sure how I missed that; I bet I found it and then managed to completely forget about it. I remember *looking* for it, however, which led me to assume there was nothing to find. :P

In any event I'll see about getting in touch with Alces. Thanks again for the info!

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Where are the cr14 languages going to be spoken in Tuysafa? Can some be placed in the South-West part?

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

We've had some discussion in group 1 on that topic. Bringing up the existing maps of Tuysáfan climate/topograpy and languages c. 1 YP...

I've been imagining Rrób Tè Jĕhnò being spoken in the coastal region to the north of Wendoth territory (around the number 3 on the first map; the Wendoth languages occupy the big gold-colored area on the second map). Cedh's description of Ronc Tyu leads me to believe that it's tentatively placed in the northern reaches of the mountain range running along the boundary between the east and west Tuysáfa tectonic plates, while I'm thinking Mhakh Thandim is spoken somewhat south of that, where the climate's a bit warmer and more arid. Click has expressed an interest in having his as-of-yet unpublished daughter spoken along the southern coast, near the number 4 on the first map, but that would be a definite geographical outlier in the Northwest Tuysáfan family.

Other than that, I figure you can put your languages anywhere that you think they fit, and if we have conflicts it shouldn't be too hard to work them out.

Zju
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zju »

It's good to visit other boards, too. This time more timely. Anyway, some guy tried to contact me in january this year about a group of languages spread accross central Tuysáfa, near numbers 2, 10 and 11 (mine creation). When I noticed his question, I replied, but haven't heard him back.
Long story short, I'm willing to give any information about them you want, so long as it doesn't take me too much time to create anything new than what currently exists.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Zju, haven't you wanted the Leic languages to be spoken somewhere at 4?

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but this is the proposed extent of the Ájnljo macro-family circa -2,000 YP:

The little numbered blobs represent the individual Ájnljo families. As it presently stands, the Wendoth (dull gold) appear to have been the most populous (or at least the most aggressive) people in western Tuysáfa, forcing the Mbingmik (brown) into the southwestern mountains and the Proto-Isles peoples (bright orange) off the continent entirely. That doesn't seem to bode terribly well for family #1 (the Noyeni languages), though they might survive by migrating elsewhere or finding a way to co-exist with Wendoth speakers while retaining their own distinct culture and language.

Families 5-9 (Nefᵉs, Néfelwe, Náifanó, Jánjéo, and Ájnfamo) can probably develop however their creators wish, since the central plains of Tuysáfa are pretty much undeveloped at this point. Famiies 2-4 (Fɤa, Tat, and Shuená) look like they could probably all be on the periphery of where the Northwest Tuysáfan langauges end up. If the Northwestern and Leic langauges both wind up sharing the region between the central mountains and Wendothland with those three micro-families, we could probably fill up the area quite nicely, though there would probably need to be some negotiations over who goes where.

In any event, Tuysáfa is shaping up to be quite linguistically diverse, sort of playing North America or Southeast Asia to Peliaš' western Eurasia.

Zju
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zju »

Pole, the wrote:Zju, haven't you wanted the Leic languages to be spoken somewhere at 4?
Yes, either around 4 or 1. I don't have an exact spot in mind, though.
CatDoom wrote:Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but this is the proposed extent of the Ájnljo macro-family circa -2,000 YP:
Yes, the very same thing.

Currently I'm not planning to work on 1 to 8 anymore(unless in some ways I get back both the tons of free time and the will); only to a small extent for the sake of mutual influence(i.e. general SCs, general typology and some terms), as was the original question. Only 9 has some chance to be continued someday.

I planned 1-3 to be fusional, 4-5 fusional~agglutinative, 6-7 agglutinative, 8 agglutinative~isolating and 9 isolating, but this at later stage, around Y0 perhaps; around Y -2000 all were isolating iirc.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Zju wrote:Yes, either around 4 or 1. I don't have an exact spot in mind, though.
Area 1 is pretty much the domain of the Mbingmik languages, save for the very eastern reaches. All of that yellow along the coast (which represents hot summer Mediterranean climate) is pretty much unclaimed, as is the inland region east of about the east coast of Spain in the comparison map. Of course, some of the Northwestern languages will likely be spoken in that area, but there should be room enough for all.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

What languages were used at number 1 before the Mbingmik arrival?

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

That's not known at this point. Proto-Mbingmik has a few loanwords from Proto-Isles, but both PIsl and PMb were originally spoken north of the mountains. Since none of the descendants of PMb have been worked out yet, any earlier languages of the region are still completely unknown.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

What do you think about that as the supposed area of Leic languages as of 0 YP?

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Looks good to me.

[EDIT]
This is my suggestion where the Northwest Tuysáfa ("Ronquian") languages might be spoken:
t1.png
t1.png (62.32 KiB) Viewed 5570 times

TriceraTiger
Niš
Niš

Post by TriceraTiger »

Hi all!

I stumbled into the Akana project a couple months ago, and I've been boredly reading AkanaWiki pages ever since. First I have a question, and I'm sorry if this is stupid-is Doayâu contemporaneous with Adāta, Fáralo et al? If so, I want to play around with some con-people historically. Anyways, I'd like to maybe make two, maybe three descendants of Proto-Lukpanic that are spoken in the western hinterlands of the Lukpanic coast. I can't help but compare the Lukpanic family to the Dravidian family on Earth, and I think it'd be cool if I made one with significant Western borrowed words alongside native Lukpanic words (sorta like Malayalam) and maybe one that was not quite so influenced (like Tamil maybe?); alongside this, I might tackle a descendant of Proto-Tulameya. I also want to make at least a protolanguage for a family spoken on that mountain range that runs down Zeluzhia-is this okay? Finally, I also think it would be cool to make something akin to an Akanaran chess. Personally, I'd like it to develop in the Coastal Western sphere, but I also think it would be interesting if it instead developed in Tuysáfa, maybe among some Dumic-speaking community (maybe the Katapaki or in Jouki?)? Any thoughts on this stuff?