[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Conlang relay [relocated] (aka "The Cursed Relay")

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 102  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Last edited by Dewrad on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:21 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ok, ok. Of course the emperor can be called seathiauk. I still think his official title, at least at first, would be something different-- maybe something religious; but outside of the Rathedān one foreign emperor is probably equivalent to another, and the older Faralo title could easily be so widely used that it quickly becomes the normal way to refer to him.

So, about the expansion of the empire of Athalē. I imagine that the first step is expanding down the river valleys-- northeast from Khalanu, east from the vicinity of Nitazē, and maybe also southwest from Radias into the Tjakori valley, if we want to add that region. The northeastern river almost certainly joins the Eigə/Ēza above Lasomo; the southeastern one could probably do so too, but I imagine it flowing east first, maybe passing along the northern edge of the lands of the Hitatc Wan for a while before flowing north to meet the Ēza somewhere below Enčélade/Akeladada. (It's hard to tell exactly where the cities of the Rathedān should be on the larger maps, so if my understanding is wrong please correct it!)

Anyway, most or all of the plain between the two eastern river valleys could belong to Greater Thāras-- maybe that city has been expanding its influence there for some time, even before the empire. Similarly, the northeastern valley could be governed from Khalanu. The southeastern valley might be the first province that couldn't conveniently be governed from a preexisting Dāiadak city; maybe the Hitatc Wan have a town or two there, or maybe it's totally rural. These three provinces should probably be established before the war in Lasomo; from the southeastern one it's a fairly short step to the Tah Ici, where there are supposed to be Dā

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:54 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:05 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:15 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:54 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Okay, so. , showing its relation to the greater region. ACHTUNG: this is a product of MS Paint. So: low detail, no finesse, and no macrons. If somebody wants to clean it up, spell the cities properly, and add any detail they feel appropriate, be my guest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:27 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

As for the maps, here they are without text:

http://www.zompist.com/Kechaena-blank.png

http://www.zompist.com/EigeValley.png

Though I'm interested in this project, I'm wary of inviting it into Almeopedia since it's getting huge. It might need its own wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:39 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:53 am 
Smeric
Smeric

So, given the new map, I've been trying to figure out what goes where. Of Adāta's immediate descendents, Ayāsthi, Mavakhalan, Kozado, and Pencek are already well-situated in particular regions. Æðadě and Aθáta are not - the latter is described as being spoken somewhere in Rathedan, and the former doesn't address the question at all.

Key to the question of figuring out where these two should go, is the fact that Erhadzy is situated a million miles away and we need a plausible way for it to get there. If I'm reading Zhen Lin's description correctly, then we need to arrange for Yhát to be spoken on the eastern coast somewhere below the Eige delta. Complicating this question is the fact that Naidda, Puoni, and Gezoro, and later their descendents, are already in that area. (Perhaps Gezoro has died out by that time, however. Or not.) So Yhát should probably be not too far north - the far SE peninsula looks appropriate.

There are basically two routes to this region: straight east through the Eige valley, or southwest through Tjakori and then east through Xsali. Unfortunately I can't come up with a very good way to make either of these work. Mass migrations just don't seem to happen very much in modern-Earth-like times. This is the best scenario I can offer (please offer a better one, any of you, if you can think of one):

Aθáta, descended largely from the dialects of Hiphago and Radias, came to be spoken in the Tjakori valley and eventually to dominate there. Later, by E'át times, conflict with the Xsali prompted the latter to invade the Tjakori valley once again, deporting thousands upon thousands of residents, resulting in a diaspora of E'át speakers throughout the Xsali empire. Over the next couple generations the E'át speakers tended to congregate in clusters in various points of the Xsali Empire. Most of these clusters later lost their languages in favor of surrounding dominant ones, but one that didn't was on Xsali's far eastern border, on or near the east coast. The variety of E'át spoken there evolved into Yhát. Erhadzy is descended from the Yhát speakers who migrated to Lesan; Öhat, from the Yhát speakers who stayed.

This would let us place Aθáta in Tjakori, and leaves Æðadě and its descendents free to be placed elsewhere. My vote is for Lasomo and perhaps the Nitaze river valley as well. Maybe it could be descended from the variety of Adata originally spoken in Nitaze and Mezaras?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:36 am 
Smeric
Smeric

On another topic entirely.....

--------------------------------

Because writing syntax sections is a borking task I dread, and that's pretty much all that's left to do with Pencek, I've been toying with something else instead! Namely, a new daughter of Ndak Ta. There was always supposed to be such a daughter spoken in the Dawaim islands... at one point Salmoneus was going to derive it, but then he vanished from the discussion and was never heard from again. So here I present a taster of Ndakta Dawaim, or natively, Z̃akt Dhavi.

This is nothing more than the , run through the sound-changes.

Ṽi thif Thinki, no lo dhyak fels, no lo dhyak ag lo lath om Kazdhiz, no lo melkt ag tol on iṽ:

Isu zith i ov lo sfak ag lo mevu ag ben, isu im as efk lath si, selki. Ṽin thif lok lath si zi an los wims aks: "An lo mevu aks z̃on dhyak fels. Spizdh a oṽk lath si. This, an ta a z̃on nak; dhal lo maldh zi be with ov lo sfak ag mevu aks z̃on dheṽ."

Sol i, no lo melkt ag tol on iṽ, ov lo sfak ag lo mevu ag ben, isu ta non i isu lum lath si zi as selki isu im, non i isu lod vwikt ag ṽas. Vwenun i as on sabvi i lon ton ag isu lom om fta. Ṽi thif i: "Dhas ag, no lo tol ag lok vwi! Thultun lon lath ni as lok wims ni fafi in "om dheb" in. This, fasti ta ak lok kak ag lo lath dhoti glig, dhas agi! Spis lon boln!"

Zadi ṽas los lev ag lo mavi ag. Oln a im on thib lon itum ag los vaṽu. Zaṽ zon lidh, spisi i this zi mog in. Spisi i as. Soln i on uktis, vos, on yavu, on filn i as isu lom lath ag Kazdhiz.

The phonemes appear to be:
/p t k b d g f T s v D z P~ z~ m n l w j a e i o u/
<p t k b d g f th s v dh z ṽ z̃ m n l w y a e i o u>

Does anybody want to adopt this language and make a real conlang of it? I don't think I can muster a grammar for it at this time, or maybe ever, despite the fact that I find the results rather delicious. If there's anybody who wants to go for it, have at...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:39 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by Zhen Lin on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:14 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:28 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:27 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:07 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:00 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:34 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:05 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:38 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:19 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:40 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 102  Next