Conlang relay [relocated] (aka "The Cursed Relay")

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Corumayas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Corumayas »

My impression is that Encelade/Akeladada is probably a much larger city than any in the Rathedan. (All the Rathedan rivers are pretty small by the looks of it.) I imagine it as sort of a quasi-Babylon; and once it becomes part of the Athalean empire it'll be something like I think Babylon was to the Persians-- ruling it shifts the empire's center of gravity significantly. It's no wonder that when Akeladada is finally lost, the empire disintegrates.

In light of this, it seems to me that Ndok Aiso is a problem: it's in a very prominent spot, and we don't have a single complete sentence or even a rough pronunciation guide. Southern Lasomo seems destined to become Adata-speaking; but right now we've got the north remaining independent, and then retaking Akeladada and bringing down the Athalean empire... which leaves us stuck with a daughter of Ndok Aiso spoken around 1000 that nobody is going to be able to derive. I can think of three solutions right now: 1. change the history so that northern Lasomo ends up part of one empire or the other; 2. have the northern Ndok adopt another language while retaining their independence; or 3. have them vanish forever shortly after this last exploit, so that their language has no lasting influence.

Radius, I think I'll take up your gauntlet and try to work on the next stretch of history if I have time this weekend. I also think I'd like to try my hand at deriving an early daughter of... something; I haven't decided yet, but right now Faralo seems like the most likely candidate. I don't know when I'll get around to starting that though; I've got several other things going on that I should really be paying more attention to soon...

Go team! :P
Hüwryaasûr, priestess of the four hegemons, wrote:Ryunshurshuroshan, the floating lizard

Akana Wiki | Akana Forum

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Corumayas wrote:My impression is that Encelade/Akeladada is probably a much larger city than any in the Rathedan. (All the Rathedan rivers are pretty small by the looks of it.) I imagine it as sort of a quasi-Babylon; and once it becomes part of the Athalean empire it'll be something like I think Babylon was to the Persians-- ruling it shifts the empire's center of gravity significantly. It's no wonder that when Akeladada is finally lost, the empire disintegrates.
Full agreement. Perhaps this may explain the greater importance of Greater Tharas later on, which encompasses much of the land in between? It's notable that, in addition to being halfway between Athale and Akeladada, it controls a hefty stretch of the Eza river and a lot of adjacent rich agricultural land. Over time, then, it's really no wonder the political and linguistic focus shifts to Greater Tharas. It's all starting to click, isn't it...

In light of this, it seems to me that Ndok Aiso is a problem: it's in a very prominent spot, and we don't have a single complete sentence or even a rough pronunciation guide. Southern Lasomo seems destined to become Adata-speaking; but right now we've got the north remaining independent, and then retaking Akeladada and bringing down the Athalean empire... which leaves us stuck with a daughter of Ndok Aiso spoken around 1000 that nobody is going to be able to derive. I can think of three solutions right now: 1. change the history so that northern Lasomo ends up part of one empire or the other; 2. have the northern Ndok adopt another language while retaining their independence; or 3. have them vanish forever shortly after this last exploit, so that their language has no lasting influence.
Barbarian hordes to the rescue! :D

Remember what the Martu did to Sumer? They didn't make war, really, they just moved in. En masse. The Sumerian language's greater prestige wasn't enough to withstand the sheer numerical superiority of the Martu, and was replaced within a few generations. Now we just need somebody - not me - to make up a language for northern Lasomo to adopt.

Alturnatively we could try jumping up and down in front of ghur. But I think we lost his attention a very long time ago.

----

In other news, though he hasn't said anything yet, Legion has been doing some very cool stuff with the new NT daughter I previously put up for adoption.

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Radius Solis wrote: In other news, though he hasn't said anything yet, Legion has been doing some very cool stuff with the new NT daughter I previously put up for adoption.
I'll post about it as soon as possible (it's not complete enough now).

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Zhen Lin wrote:Indeed. Nitazē, sitting at the confluence of two rivers, is likely to be the major trading port of the region. Modern analogies... New York City, or perhaps Hong Kong? As such, the post-imperial Rathedān economy will likely be dominated by the daughter state that controls Nitazē.

On the other hand, Khalanu also sits at the confluence of two rivers, which joins up the the major Ēza (Eigə) river...
The little river leading up to Khalanu is probably navigable to that spot. This may tie in with some of their sociocultural isolationist streak - they're less dependent on the other citystates for trade, because they have the river right there.

But I'm concerned that the Nitaze River won't be navigable even for a long stretch below the city. On the map I marked a different color for mountains, but my intention was only to mark high mountains, with the whole of Rathedan still being in a highland region as Dewrad describes. It's probably still pretty hilly and perhaps even rugged around Nitaze and for at least a short distance below it. And it's not even a very big river, just long. So... I suspect instead that it's Khalanu that will end up the major port of Rathedan.

I did have another thought about this though. Given that the Daiadak are already good earth engineers - they're miners, after all - perhaps they could make the Nitaze river navigable up to Nitaze. Or maybe even up to Athale itself. That might be an interesting story, if anyone wants to tell it. All it would require is some dredging and a series of low-elevation-gain locks. Maybe it wouldn't be too hard for a society even as early as Athale to accomplish this, given that they're good at working metal too. (Metal is pretty necessary for a locksworks - wood won't hold back the water very well, if at all).

Zhen Lin
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Zhen Lin »

Corumayas wrote:My impression is that Encelade/Akeladada is probably a much larger city than any in the Rathedan. (All the Rathedan rivers are pretty small by the looks of it.) I imagine it as sort of a quasi-Babylon; and once it becomes part of the Athalean empire it'll be something like I think Babylon was to the Persians-- ruling it shifts the empire's center of gravity significantly. It's no wonder that when Akeladada is finally lost, the empire disintegrates.
That certainly would add a lot more realism to the scenario.
Radius Solis wrote:Full agreement. Perhaps this may explain the greater importance of Greater Tharas later on, which encompasses much of the land in between? It's notable that, in addition to being halfway between Athale and Akeladada, it controls a hefty stretch of the Eza river and a lot of adjacent rich agricultural land. Over time, then, it's really no wonder the political and linguistic focus shifts to Greater Tharas. It's all starting to click, isn't it...
Hmm, but if we were to set up Greater Tharās as controlling any significant stretch of Ēza, that would lead to the unusual situation I had mentioned before, where the capital/largest city is located far from the geographic centre and from access to transportation (the waterways).

Also, looking back to my old Ayāsth sketch, I'm not sure how the idea that it was prestigious got picked up...
Radius Solis wrote:The little river leading up to Khalanu is probably navigable to that spot. This may tie in with some of their sociocultural isolationist streak - they're less dependent on the other citystates for trade, because they have the river right there.
That works.
But I'm concerned that the Nitaze River won't be navigable even for a long stretch below the city. On the map I marked a different color for mountains, but my intention was only to mark high mountains, with the whole of Rathedan still being in a highland region as Dewrad describes. It's probably still pretty hilly and perhaps even rugged around Nitaze and for at least a short distance below it. And it's not even a very big river, just long. So... I suspect instead that it's Khalanu that will end up the major port of Rathedan.

I did have another thought about this though. Given that the Daiadak are already good earth engineers - they're miners, after all - perhaps they could make the Nitaze river navigable up to Nitaze. Or maybe even up to Athale itself. That might be an interesting story, if anyone wants to tell it. All it would require is some dredging and a series of low-elevation-gain locks. Maybe it wouldn't be too hard for a society even as early as Athale to accomplish this, given that they're good at working metal too. (Metal is pretty necessary for a locksworks - wood won't hold back the water very well, if at all).
It could work. China built the Great Wall and the Grand Canal, in the BC era! On the other hand, the China of the time had the benefit of forced labour, and lots of it too.
Go team! :P
yċ'r-uċāpàraṅ téw! IK RO UKĀPAZABE TĒBA!
書不盡言、言不盡意

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Zhen Lin wrote:IK RO UKĀPAZABE TĒBA!
I ro sinan abureien eieien "ape" (sit) raphen "apāza" (fish) ādo. But either way you made a typo. :)

I probably borked that syntax. DAMN YOU DEWRAD for not telling us how to form complement clauses. :o

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Radius Solis wrote:
I ro sinan abureien eieien "ape" (sit) raphen "apāza" (fish) ādo. But either way you made a typo. :)

I probably borked that syntax. DAMN YOU DEWRAD for not telling us how to form complement clauses. :o
And who omitted discussion of them from Ndak Ta, then, eh? Also quit speaking to each other in my conlang. I can't understand you :evil:
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Dewrad wrote:
Radius Solis wrote:

And who omitted discussion of them from Ndak Ta, then, eh? Also quit speaking to each other in my conlang. I can't understand you :evil:
WRONG.

Complement Clauses in Ndak Ta.

Fail.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

/me quietly acquiesces, puts on his fail hat and sits in the corner weeping.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Radius Solis wrote:But I'm concerned that the Nitaze River won't be navigable even for a long stretch below the city. [...] It's not even a very big river, just long.
If, as I proposed a while ago, we place Aθáta (and later, E'át) south of Rathedān, the southern river (which I suggest we call Mlir, or MILĪR in Adāta) could actually be a good deal longer than shown on the current Rathedān map. This could turn it into a major tributary of the Ēza, navigable at least up to the confluence of the Nitazē river (now only the upper part coming from Nitazē). Which means that the waterworks would only have to cover a relatively short distance. Nitazē would then be as easily reached from the sea as is Khalanu. And it has two further advantages: Firstly, easy access to the Rādias pass, and secondly, the Milīr river route bypasses Lasomo at times when it is hostile.
Zhen Lin wrote:
Radius Solis wrote:Perhaps this may explain the greater importance of Greater Tharas later on, which encompasses much of the land in between? It's notable that, in addition to being halfway between Athale and Akeladada, it controls a hefty stretch of the Eza river and a lot of adjacent rich agricultural land. Over time, then, it's really no wonder the political and linguistic focus shifts to Greater Tharas. It's all starting to click, isn't it...
Hmm, but if we were to set up Greater Tharās as controlling any significant stretch of Ēza, that would lead to the unusual situation I had mentioned before, where the capital/largest city is located far from the geographic centre and from access to transportation (the waterways).
The question is, does Thāras extend towards the Ēza, or towards Nitazē? Or both? In this case its location wouldn't be that bad, probably situated near the best crossing of the watershed between the high-mountain area and the forest in SW Lasomo. However, we should keep in mind that if Greater Thāras does indeed encompass both the middle Ēza and lower Nitazē valleys, this city controls all the trade between the Rathedān and Lasomo, even if the Milīr valley stays out of its immediate reach. This strategic position could be used to explain why Uremas I. had to marry a Thārasian princess to secure his position.

All in all I imagine a situation in later times (say ~500) where Athalē is the nominal capital and religious center of the empire, but the strongest provinces in economic and military terms are Akeladada (the portion of Lasomo between the Ēza and Milīr rivers) and Greater Thāras (including Nitazē city to the south, and much of the middle Ēza to the north). Minor economic centres will be Radias (controlling trade with the Xšali), Khalanu (access to Lasomo only via Greater Thāras, but having the best connection to Xoron Eiel), and the Milīr province where Æðadě is spoken (halfway between Nitazē and Akeladada, having direct access to Kasca/Huyfárah and to the less important upper Milīr). When the empire falls apart, these five would certainly become the most important successor states.
Radius Solis wrote:
Corumayas wrote:In light of this, it seems to me that Ndok Aiso is a problem: it's in a very prominent spot, and we don't have a single complete sentence or even a rough pronunciation guide. Southern Lasomo seems destined to become Adata-speaking; but right now we've got the north remaining independent, and then retaking Akeladada and bringing down the Athalean empire... which leaves us stuck with a daughter of Ndok Aiso spoken around 1000 that nobody is going to be able to derive. I can think of three solutions right now: 1. change the history so that northern Lasomo ends up part of one empire or the other; 2. have the northern Ndok adopt another language while retaining their independence; or 3. have them vanish forever shortly after this last exploit, so that their language has no lasting influence.
Barbarian hordes to the rescue! :D

Remember what the Martu did to Sumer? They didn't make war, really, they just moved in. En masse. The Sumerian language's greater prestige wasn't enough to withstand the sheer numerical superiority of the Martu, and was replaced within a few generations.
Barbarians could realistically come from two regions: from the upper Milīr (which I proposed earlier on to happen around ~2000, also explaining how E'át crosses the mountains into Xšali), or from the upper Ēza. If the Athalēans don't manage to conquer all of Xoron Eiel, there'll be wide stretches of land up there for nomads to roam, and they could well pour into Thāraspē and Lasomo when the empire becomes weak. Or else, if the Thārasians and Khalanese manage to ward them off, they could turn northeast and then attack Northern Lasomo from the mountains, coming down the Ziphē river.
Radius Solis wrote:Now we just need somebody - not me - to make up a language for northern Lasomo to adopt.
Maybe this language should be part of the Western family that Dewrad mentioned, being distantly related to Gezoro?

Or else, the invaders could be relatives of those northern barbarians that sack Ussor in Huyfárah in 886, which is around the right time period for such an attack. In which case their language would likely be part of the Faraghin family.

Zhen Lin
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Zhen Lin »

Radius Solis wrote:
The verb āpō should have the stem āpaza-, coming from Ndak Ta alpau. It is, of course, the source of the theonym āpazā.
cedh audmanh wrote:The question is, does Thāras extend towards the Ēza, or towards Nitazē? Or both? In this case its location wouldn't be that bad, probably situated near the best crossing of the watershed between the high-mountain area and the forest in SW Lasomo. However, we should keep in mind that if Greater Thāras does indeed encompass both the middle Ēza and lower Nitazē valleys, this city controls all the trade between the Rathedān and Lasomo, even if the Milīr valley stays out of its immediate reach. This strategic position could be used to explain why Uremas I. had to marry a Thārasian princess to secure his position.
Indeed. I think it would be best not to set parameters on Greater Thāras yet, so as to leave flexibility for the history writers. At the moment the only thing which has been fixed in stone due to existing work is that Ayāsthi must be able to plausibly interact with Mavakhalan or its successor AhH, therefore, the area of influence of Thāras must, at least by the 12th century, extend towards Khalanu.
All in all I imagine a situation in later times (say ~500) where Athalē is the nominal capital and religious center of the empire, but the strongest provinces in economic and military terms are Akeladada (the portion of Lasomo between the Ēza and Milīr rivers) and Greater Thāras (including Nitazē city to the south, and much of the middle Ēza to the north). Minor economic centres will be Radias (controlling trade with the Xšali), Khalanu (access to Lasomo only via Greater Thāras, but having the best connection to Xoron Eiel), and the Milīr province where Æðadě is spoken (halfway between Nitazē and Akeladada, having direct access to Kasca/Huyfárah and to the less important upper Milīr). When the empire falls apart, these five would certainly become the most important successor states.
I propose adding this to the Seldon Plan, err, I mean, conhistory!
書不盡言、言不盡意

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

and the Milīr province where Æðadě is spoken (halfway between Nitazē and Akeladada, having direct access to Kasca/Huyfárah and to the less important upper Milīr).
I thought Æðadě is the language that's spoken in Lasomo... Athata and E'at etc. are in at least the upper and central Milir.

Corumayas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Corumayas »

I didn't think we had decided that with certainty yet. But things are moving so fast right now, it's hard to keep up...!

I think whatever language is spoken in Lasomo ought to have at least a few Ndok Aisô loans added in... but none of the people I pmed last week seem to have been interested enough to join us, so revisions of Aθáta and Æðadě seem unlikely to happen. :(

BTW, if Mlir was inherited via Ndak Ta it'd be Alir... possibly an alternate name for the Milīr? Similarly, Wan would become Zan; Hitatc might be Hitati...

Also, Akeladada might get somewhat influenced by the Ndok Aisô name, Ngahêxôldod, which I take to be something vaguely like /Nahe:?o:ldo?/; maybe Akelodo or Akelodod?
Hüwryaasûr, priestess of the four hegemons, wrote:Ryunshurshuroshan, the floating lizard

Akana Wiki | Akana Forum

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

I've played around a bit with the Rathedān map. Here are two new versions:
The empire of Athalē at its greatest extension around 500 YP, with a suggestion for province borders (the possible extent of Thāraspē highlighted).
A rough linguistic map around 900 YP, shortly before the empire falls.
Corumayas wrote:BTW, if Mlir was inherited via Ndak Ta it'd be Alir... possibly an alternate name for the Milīr? Similarly, Wan would become Zan; Hitatc might be Hitati...

Also, Akeladada might get somewhat influenced by the Ndok Aisô name, Ngahêxôldod, which I take to be something vaguely like /Nahe:?o:ldo?/; maybe Akelodo or Akelodod?
Akelodo sounds good to me. For my province map I've taken the names to be borrowed directly from native words: MILĪR < /mlir/ and TASUĀ < /kta"ts)_wa/. If you guys prefer to derive them from Ndak Ta, I can of course change them to ALIR and HITATI ZAN. Also, where does the Pencek name Tah Ici come from? tah < ATĀX "forest", but ici...?

---
EDIT: updated the linguistic map according to criticism of the first version.
Last edited by Cedh on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

There a problem with the linguistic map: Kozado is supposed to be a minority language, spoken by 500 persons in two villages, in the northern region of Khalanu. (That is, at the time of modern Kozado, 1100-1300, I know the map is a bit earlier, but the difference should be huge - as for Koyek, it's not a problem, it was already dead by that time, it died out around 620 - yes I will release the grammar as soon as possible >_>).

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Er. I thought the whole point of conquering Lasomo was so that we could stick one of the current langauges there. I don't really like the idea of leaving it "free for now". :( Partly because the existing branches from Adata should be put into important places to the extent possible, and partly because it's not realistic for there to be too many more direct daughters of Adata; and we're already leaving Xoron Eiel and the Tjakori valley "free for now" as it is. Much better would be to increase the amount of land area over which the current direct daughters are spoken. Keep in mind that the areas covered by the languages as shown on your map are really rather small, none of them are larger than maybe Austria is. How much divergence is realistic in less than a thousand years? Latin ended up in four main chunks - French, Spanish, Italitan, and Romanian - and we already have five here, each covering far less territory than any of Latin's main four. And we don't even have the benefit of Europe's strong geographical divisions.

Also I have already drawn linguistic maps, I was just waiting on more of the history to be worked out first before finalizing and uploading them... bah. Your map is certainly prettier, but mine cover multiple time periods, so I'm not sure what we should do. On mine I've got Aedhade spoken throughout Lasomo and the lowermost Nitaze valley, and Athata spoken all along the middle and upper Nitaze valley and extending to the south.

Edit: also, what about keeping both names Akelodo and Akeledada, and making one the province name and the other the city name?

Edit Edit: for the problem of Ndok Aiso loans in Lasomo, well... why can't we just add some ourselves? Presumably we're going to have to do the same thing with Adata's extended vocabulary anyway, if we want anybody up the chain to get any of the new words. Just because ebilein and Rhaden aren't interested in doing anything more with their languages doesn't mean people who have derived descendents of them should be stuck with only the vocab they currently have.

Zhen Lin
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Zhen Lin »

I must agree with Radius. In order for the level of linguistic diversity we see in the later stages of the relay, the sphere of Adāta (not necessarily Dāiadak) must expand. Greatly so, if possible, given the significant differences in 3rd/4th millennium languages.
Edit: also, what about keeping both names Akelodo and Akeledada, and making one the province name and the other the city name?
Hmm. An interesting idea. The native name should be used for the city itself, I suppose. I wonder if there are any real-world analogues?
Last edited by Zhen Lin on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
書不盡言、言不盡意

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I put the Faraghin wordlist here:

http://www.almeopedia.com/index.php/Faraghin

and the Fáralo sound changes at

http://www.zompist.com/rad.sc

Please note, the latter page uses the Mac OS Roman text encoding... some characters get lost in the default encoding.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Legion, Radius and Zhen Lin wrote:[lots of criticism]
Okay, sorry for rushing too far ahead. :oops: My linguistic map was meant as a proposal only. But your comments about the size of the area, and about the locations for Æðadě and Aθáta, make a lot more sense than my map. Proposal withdrawn...
Radius wrote:Also I have already drawn linguistic maps, I was just waiting on more of the history to be worked out first before finalizing and uploading them... bah. Your map is certainly prettier, but mine cover multiple time periods, so I'm not sure what we should do.
Show them so we know what your scenario looks like, and then we can either tailor the history to fit or change the map as necessary. I for one find it easier to write up history when I start with drafts of historical maps.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Ack. :? I'm sorry if it seemed like we were coming down on you pretty hard, cedh. That was certainly not my intention and I'm sure it wasn't anyone else's either. Please don't take it too hard that we had issues with the linguistic map... you didn't really rush ahead, it's good to make proposals like that - and we probably could have been more careful to phrase our replies less confrontationally.

I sure hope you don't stop proposing things! The political map, for instance - that's a keeper, to be sure. I'm happy to have it be the official map. Maybe certain things might need to be changed on it, if that's what the group decides, but I'm relieved you were able to provide us something better than I could manage in MS Paint.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Don't worry, I'm not that easily offended ;)

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Faraghin and Feråjin were meant to be two closely-related sister languages. Now armed with Zompist's Faraghin phonology and wordlist, via comparison with Feråjin (of which only the name exists) and a bit of internal reconstruction, with a healthy dose of invented fun, I hereby present:

A Preliminary Reconstruction of Proto-Ferogh

Keep in mind the two language are not meant to be separated by more than 500 to 1000 years. The consonants are fairly stable between them, with only the vowel systems showing major reorganization.

Reconstructed Phonemes
/a E i O u 1 ai au p t k b d g tS l r n m f B s S x G/

Sound Changes to Faraghin

Vowels:
E, O > a
i > e
1 > i
u > o
ai > oi
au > eu

Consonants:
B > b
x > k before a sibilant (two examples)
syncopation before -ud (one example)

Faraghin phonemes: /a e i o eu oi p t k b d g tS m n l r f s S x G/

Sound Changes to Feråjin

Vowels:
O > Q
u > o
1 > u (stressed)
1 > i (unstressed)
E > e
ai > e:
au > a:
a(:) > {(:)

Consonants:
B > w
G > j
tS > S
Vr, Vl > V: / _C, _#
Vm > V: / _#

Feråjin phonemes: /i u e o { Q p t k b d g m n l r f s S x w j/

EDIT: the question of "u" fixed (see below)

EDIT2: to increase the difference between the two languages, I added loss of coda /r l/ and final /m/ with compensatory lengthening to Feråjin. I also changed the outcome of the diphthongs. Nevertheless, on seeing the Feråjin outcomes, I believe it is better described as a dialect of Faraghin than a separate language.
Last edited by Radius Solis on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Radius Solis wrote:I also would be all for a wiki-type system for storing and keeping track of all this information. If people really want to use the KQ I won't argue too much, but... personally I am hesitant to use it for anything anymore. It seems like a high-risk place, there's a history of instability there. If you want to ask Zompist for his permission to use the Almeopedia, feel free... although I hate to clutter up his Almea wiki with too much stuff about this world. When we first moved the Ndak Ta info etc. there, he told me "dozens of articles is fine, but not hundreds." Neek would probably feel much the same way about it. It would be neat to have the freedom of having hundreds of articles, but I don't know of any good place to do that.
I would not be opposed to you guys using the KneeQuickie for it. And as far as I am aware, the KQ has had only one major crash since I took it over (which included a change of URL from the penguindeskjob.com/wiki/index.html format to the wiki.penguindeskjob.com format! :D)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Radius Solis wrote:EDIT: I only just noticed that though Zomp lists the monophthongs of Faraghin as /a e i o/, he uses an apparent /u/ in some words (lupan; -ud; khunt). Damn.
Carelessness, I'm afraid. :) However, o and u are very nearly in complementary distribution: u before n or labials, o elsewhere. That leaves just a few exceptions, which are easily changed: mur :> mor, ghon :> ghun.

So where did that å come from? :)

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

zompist wrote:Carelessness, I'm afraid. :) However, o and u are very nearly in complementary distribution: u before n or labials, o elsewhere. That leaves just a few exceptions, which are easily changed: mur :> mor, ghon :> ghun.

So where did that å come from? :)
Ah complimentary distribution. Works for me!
The -ud words Faralo borrowed are rantud, fisrantud, sempud, magacud, khislud, rotud. Should these now be -od in Faralo as well? (or -o; khislud and rotud were borrowed without the final -d)

I was figuring on <å> for the /Q/ (rounded back low vowel). The orthography there is <i e a u o å> for /i e { u o Q/.