ConlangDictionary 0.3 - now phonology parsing is faster

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

faiuwle wrote:Actually, looking over the Qt DOM XML stuff, it seems like it would be pretty easy to do, and since it doesn't involve changing the savefile (the timestamp can be incorporated into the savefile format I'm working on now) it can be part of 0.2. This would just be importing the spelling, though, and the current dictionary would recalculate the phonology based on the spelling, or I could put in an option to set it up manually on import.
Sorry, what exactly are you asking? :?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

I just meant that if your words had strange spellings (so that you had to specify the phonology manually via the dialog) the phonology you'd specified wouldn't be able to be transferred, and the dictionary would just give it the phonology it thought it had based on how it was spelled.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

So, has has anyone made a Qt Creator project file for Mac yet? (a make file)

I am not experienced in coding C++, so I have no idea how to make the make file... (which my roommate refuses to do for me, although he knows C++).

I'd appreciate if someone can make one so that no one has to program it, just build it in Qt.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

faiuwle wrote:I just meant that if your words had strange spellings (so that you had to specify the phonology manually via the dialog) the phonology you'd specified wouldn't be able to be transferred, and the dictionary would just give it the phonology it thought it had based on how it was spelled.
If I get this straight, when transferring words to dictionary 2, which has different spelling than dictionary 1, the phonetic transcription would be kept the same, but it would change the spelling according to that of language 2? That would be okay.
My most recent quiz:

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Bristel wrote:So, has has anyone made a Qt Creator project file for Mac yet? (a make file)

I am not experienced in coding C++, so I have no idea how to make the make file... (which my roommate refuses to do for me, although he knows C++).

I'd appreciate if someone can make one so that no one has to program it, just build it in Qt.
You don't need to do any coding to compile it for mac; you will need to be familiar with using a command line, but that's it. Basically, as I understand from the build-for-mac documentation, the process is like this:

1. Download and install Qt.
2. Copy some library files into the program bundle.
3. Run some qt-related commands which will auto-generate the makefile.
4. Make.

Because I'm using the XML module now, you'll also have to add one line of code the auto-generated makefile too, but that's pretty simple.
Qwynegold wrote:If I get this straight, when transferring words to dictionary 2, which has different spelling than dictionary 1, the phonetic transcription would be kept the same, but it would change the spelling according to that of language 2? That would be okay.
No - I won't be able to transfer the phonology, since there's no way to sync the phonologies of the two languages. Example:

<garédne> /"ga.red.nE/

What if language 2 does not have a stress suprasegmental? What if it doesn't allow "d" as a coda? What if it doesn't have /E/? If your langauges have identical phonologies it would work, but in that case, language 2 would simply see the spelling <garédne> and automatically parse it as /"ga.red.nE/ anyway. Naturally, you can then change the spelling and not have it affect the phonology, as usual.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Ah, can't you just have it transfer the phonology, adding zero sound changes to it (before you add the awsome sound change applier)? Even if it violates the second language's phonotactics and whatever?
My most recent quiz:

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Well, the second language is not guaranteed to have all the same phonemes either, or equivalent phonemes might be called different things (/d/ versus /D/, for example), which would work out the same way. It's possible to (internally) set the phonology of words in ways that violate the phonotactics, though, so I suppose it could just leave out any it didn't find.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

faiuwle: lots of kudos to you, man, the app rules...

just one question: can it / will it sometime be able to export the dictionaries to a text file, just in case I want to print my lexicon or something?

again, thanks.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Yes, that's one of the things I plan to do with 0.2.

First 0.2 release is almost ready now; I'm just trying to see if I can work some Windows encoding issues. :?

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Awesome, looking forward to that.

Kaenif
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kaenif »

A problem I encountered is that the font is not right. The set font of my Windows is a Chinese font and it does not support IPA or other special characters (not even greek alphabet). I could find no way to change it. :(
疏我啲英文同語言學一樣咁屎!
[sɔː˥ ŋɔː˩˧ tiː˥ jɪŋ˥mɐn˧˥ tʰʊŋ˩ jyː˩˧jiːn˩hɔk̚˨ jɐt̚˥jœːŋ˧ kɐm˧ siː˧˥]
sor(ry) 1.SG POSS English and linguistics same DEM.ADJ shit

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

kaenif wrote:A problem I encountered is that the font is not right. The set font of my Windows is a Chinese font and it does not support IPA or other special characters (not even greek alphabet). I could find no way to change it. :(
The problem with not being able to display certain special characters is something that happens to me in Windows too, but I don't know why as it works fine in linux and doesn't appear to be a problem with Qt itself. I don't know a whole lot about fonts, but I'll play around with stuff and see if I can fix it or make the fonts user-specifyable, or something.

Anyway, I've uploaded version 0.2; just redownload from the executable links in the first post.
changelog wrote:- Suprasegmentals tab added.
- Phonotactics tab added.
- A couple buttons on the words tab are now properly disabled in circumstances
where clicking them would cause a crash.
- Phonological representations are now loaded correctly.
- Problem where changing the spelling of a word did not change its place in the
list was fixed.
- It is now possible to specify an alphabetic order for phonemes.
- Savefile format is now in XML.
There's a lot of new stuff on the Dictionary Management tab, but none of it is functional yet. It will all be implemented in future 0.2 releases, and I also intend to try and work with Zelos to get a word-generator as well. The lovely new icon is by Zelos as well. When you load the savefiles you made with 0.1, make sure to load them as "Version 0.1" and not "Current Version (0.2)". Loading 0.1 files as 0.2 files results in the file not loading; loading 0.2 files as 0.1 files results in crashing. Don't do it.

Documentation for New Suprasegmentals and Phonotactics Tabs
(I wound up making some design decisions that are possibly not intuitive, so I am explaining it all here.)

1. Phonotactics

You now have to organize your phoneme inventory into legal onsets, peaks, and codas, or the part the calculates the phonologies of words will not work. I think I explained how to do this upthread somewhere.

2. Suprasegmentals

There are two kinds of suprasegmentals (henceforth to be referred to as "supras" so that this post does not become 10 times longer than it needs to be): those that apply to phonemes and those that apply to syllables. If the supra applies to phonemes, you'll have to specify which phonemes it applies to, unless you choose to represent it in spelling by adding an accent, in which case it is assumed to only apply to /a e i o u y/ if present.

2.1 Spelling and Representation

"Spelling" refers to how the supra is spelled in the orthography (e.g. you might spell stress as an acute accent on the vowel, or length by doubling the letter). Representation is the way the supra is represented in the phonemic notation (e.g. you might represent stress by preceding the syllable with a ", or represent length by following the letter with a :). These work slightly differently depending on whether the supra applies to phonemes or syllables. If your supra applies to syllables, and you spell/represent it with a character preceding or following, that means that the character precedes or follows the entire syllable. However, if you choose to spell/represent it by adding an accent or doubling, the accent and/or doubling will apply only to the peak of the syllable.

2.2 Sanity Limits

There is a hard-coded limit of 3 syllable-level supras on any given syllable. Specifically, you are allowed to have one supra with a representation involving placing characters before the syllable, one supra with a representation involving placing characters after the syllable, and one supra with a representation involving doing something to the peak (i.e. accents or doubling). Regardless of how you spell the word, you can't add more than that, and you can't add more than that when manually setting the phonology either.

Technically there is no limit to the number of supras you can have on any given phoneme, but the parser will not be able to interpret multiple different accents on the same character, multiple characters preceding the same character, or multiple characters following the same character, so you will have to set them manually if that would be the case. It is also unable to include such things in the representation displayed, but it will still understand that those phonemes have all those supras.

2.3 Combinations of Accents and Doubling and Digraphs

If you want to add both a supra that's spelled with an accent and a supra that's spelled with doubling to the same letter, you will need to add the accent to both of the doubled letters, eg.:

<o> = /o/
<ó> = /"o/
<oo> = /o:/
<óó> = /"o:/

but

<óo> = /"o.o/
<oó> = /o."o/

Similarly, if you are marking a syllable-supra on a peak which consists of multiple phonemes, you'll have to apply the accent or the doubling to all characters in the peak:

<e> = /e/
<i> = /i/
<ei> = /ei/ (legal peak)
<éí> = /"ei/
<eeii> = /e:i:/
<ééíí> = /"e:i:/

The parser will not correctly interpret digraphs with accents on them:

<ea> = /i/
<éá> = /"e."a/

but it will correctly interpret doubled digraphs:

<ea> = /i/
<eaea> = /i:/

In any case, you can always just spell your words however you want and the set the correct phonology manually.

I'm probably not going to be doing a whole lot of modifications to the parser, but if it's not working as it should I will attempt to fix it. It's just that it was such a pain in the ass that I really don't want to have to rework it again.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I have a technical problem. I deleted everything that I previously had and downloaded the new version of the program and the Qt thing (didn't notice until afterwards that the Qt didn't need to be deleted). I have everything in the same folder. But when I try to run the program it says that it can't start because it couldn't find QtXml4.dll.
My most recent quiz:

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Oh, right, I forgot to include that one. I'll reupload the files in a minute.

You didn't do anything wrong by deleting everything, but for future reference, you don't actually have to delete anything. Just unzip the new folder into the same place and the old files will just get overwritten.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Ok, the dll should be in the zipfile now (the one with the executable, not the Qt Libraries zip).

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I can only say, faiuwle, that this new installment rocks, and that I haven't had a problem with it... it works like a damn charm.

really, thanks a lot for taking the time and effort to make such a great tool, it's really made my conlanging life a lot easier. looking forward to the next version, a word builder would be awesome, manual setting of phoneme frequency would be even more awesome.

again, kudos.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Thanks. :) I won't have a whole lot of time to devote to it for a bit now, because school just started for me, etc., but I've got lots planned for 0.2 updates.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

just one question... I don't know what XML means, so how can I export my dictionaries?

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

XML is like HTML except for things other than webpages. If you don't know what it is, don't worry about it. If you just want to save the dictionary in a way that the program can read later on, just save normally and everything will take care of itself. The other options on the dictionary management tab don't work yet, but if you just want to generate a human-readable list of words you would want the CSV/Text output (although like I said it doesn't work yet).

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

so next installment... well, I guess patience...

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

Oh I need this desperately.

I have Windows XP.

[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/th_1-1.gif[/img]

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

It works on Windows XP, if that's what you're asking. Just download the Qt Libraries and the executable zips for Windows.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Thanks, now I can run the program. And here are some bug reports: :P

In the phonotactics section, it's impossible to remove allowed onsets, codas, etc. once they've been entered.

Even if I add diphthongs to the allowed peaks, the program puts a syllable break between them when adding words. When adding words with a coda cluster, only the first consonant is displayed, even if I have defined that cluster in the phonotactics. Is it possible to have the program skip phonotactics?, because my conlang has pretty wild phonotactics (kinda like the buncberry languages, except not quite as keen on long consonant clusters). So if I have it add for example all consonants + all consonants + all consonants + all consonants + all consonants + all consonants as an allowed cluster, the program crashes. In any case, it's too much work to define the phonotactics of this language.
My most recent quiz:

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Qwynegold wrote:In the phonotactics section, it's impossible to remove allowed onsets, codas, etc. once they've been entered.
You have to use the cluster-making stuff at the bottom of the page; make the clusters/singletons that you want to remove, select onsets/peaks/codas and click "Remove".
Even if I add diphthongs to the allowed peaks, the program puts a syllable break between them when adding words. When adding words with a coda cluster, only the first consonant is displayed, even if I have defined that cluster in the phonotactics.
Are you clicking "Save Phonotactics" every time you update it? Otherwise it won't save, although the letters that are actually displayed won't change back.
Is it possible to have the program skip phonotactics?
Well, it no longer represents words as strings of phonemes, so it's more annoying. I could have a way to simply allow all possible phonotactics, which would result in all phonemes being analyzed as being in the onset of the first syllable, and then you would have to sort it out by hand later.
So if I have it add for example all consonants + all consonants + all consonants + all consonants + all consonants + all consonants as an allowed cluster, the program crashes.
Thanks for letting me know; I'll look at it. In Windows at least, the program just hung when I did that rather than crashing, but in any case that's not what it should do.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

faiuwle wrote:It works on Windows XP, if that's what you're asking. Just download the Qt Libraries and the executable zips for Windows.
Yes, that's what I was wondering.

Thankies!

[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/th_1-1.gif[/img]