Rangyayo - an East Asian language of the elixir of life

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
kanejam
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Rangyayo (now with info about Rangya & samples on Youtub

Post by kanejam »

This is a fantastic conlang! A lot of culture and historical background, along with a very cool script! Makes me want to do the exact same thing, but then I would know it was just a cheap ripoff and it definitely wouldn't be done nearly as well. Do you have any lessons up for it?
If you cannot change your mind, are you sure you have one?

Here's a thread on Oscan.

desmond
Lebom
Lebom

Post by desmond »

kanejam wrote:This is a fantastic conlang! A lot of culture and historical background, along with a very cool script! Makes me want to do the exact same thing, but then I would know it was just a cheap ripoff and it definitely wouldn't be done nearly as well. Do you have any lessons up for it?
Feel free to develop your own East Asian nation and language! I'm more than interested to see more of similar projects :) as they may inspire me in different aspects.
Unfortunately I haven't put together lessons for learning Rangyayo in a professional way. There are language materials written in Wikipedia-style presentation though.

http://conlang.wikia.com/Rangyayo Grammar and details about Rangyayo in Wikipedia style
http://conlang.wikia.com/Rangyayo/Word_List Word List of Rangyayo
http://conlang.wikia.com/Rangyayo/List_ ... yong_Hanji (List of Frequently Used Characters in Rangyayo)
http://conlang.wikia.com/Rangyayo/Sample/Quickchat Daily phrasebook
http://conlang.wikia.com/Rangyayo/Sample/218_sentences List of simple sentences
http://conlang.wikia.com/Rangyayo/Learn ... mmar/Basic Far from complete lessons
[b]Desmond[/b] - [url=http://conlang.wikia.com/Rangyayo][b]Rangyayo[/b][/url], spoken on the islands of elixir of life

desmond
Lebom
Lebom

Post by desmond »

I've just discovered a few days ago that a native Korean conlanger commented on the phonetic values of Rangyayo Yenmun (Hangul) in September. I was a bit excited and thrilled to see how a native Hangul user would react when they see Rangyayo sentences written in mixed script of Hanji and Yenmun (Hanja and Hangul).

Here is his comment,

Is the writing of hangul in Rangyayo correct?
Hello. I'm Korean native and have made artlang marE. I think you have made this conlang with using system of Hanja with Hangul. So I think that this conlang should have natural feelings when Korean users see it. But I think it is not.

in the Korean, ㅋ corresponds into [kh], and ㄱ corresponds into [k] - so you just used ㄲ as [g]. But at the sense of Korean, ㄱ corresponds into /g/ and [g], and ㅋ corresponds into /k/ and [k], and ㄲ is another sound : so that will be make Koreans chaos when you use '食뽀마니외' as [yabomanioi], they will read it as sik'ppomanioe - then will ask to you why use ㅃ as .

I think you can change phonetic values of Hangul as you want, but If you have a intend for use Hangul on this language as similar of regular hangul, I recommend change /ㄲ/ to ㄱ, /ㄱ/ to ㅋ, /ㄸ/ to ㄷ, /ㄷ/ to /ㅌ/, /ㅃ/ to ㅂ, /ㅂ/ to ㅍ, /ㅓ/ to /ㅔ/, and so on. - Ellif (talk) 15:01, September 5, 2013 (UTC)

I think in general it's not a very positive comment :(
[b]Desmond[/b] - [url=http://conlang.wikia.com/Rangyayo][b]Rangyayo[/b][/url], spoken on the islands of elixir of life

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I don't really think it is positive or negative. Take it for what it is. He is making a good point that using the tense consonants (or whatever they call them) as voiced consonants may confuse Korean speakers. However, everything he said rests on a major assumption, which he stated himself: "you have made this conlang ... with Hangul ... So I think that this conlang should have natural feelings when Korean users see it." This is by no means necessarily true, especially considering some of the crazy and seemingly unintuitive ways that the Roman alphabet has been manipulated to suit various languages. So you can either alter your spelling to make it more natural to Korean speakers, or you can keep your system, knowing that it will seem unnatural and "chaotic" to Korean speakers.

kuroda
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kuroda »

desmond wrote:Feel free to develop your own East Asian nation and language! I'm more than interested to see more of similar projects :) as they may inspire me in different aspects.
I've retired an Altaic altlang (housed in an alt-Kamchatka) that I'd been playing with for over a decade, and am now kicking around ideas for a "new" Tungusic language that exists/existed in the Japanese islands. (Probably extinct by the modern period.) I'd be very happy to share it somewhere -- the community of a posteriori East Asian conlangers is tenuous at best! I don't think it would really have much or any overlap with Rangyayo, and would definitely not be as shiny ;)
CONLANG Code: C:S/G v1.1 !lafh+>x cN:L:S:G a+ x:0 n4d:2d !B A--- E-- L--- N0 Id/s/v/c k- ia--@:+ p+ s+@ m-- o+ P--- S++ Neo-Khitanese

desmond
Lebom
Lebom

Post by desmond »

Below is my reply to the above comment on Rangyayo Yenmun (Korean Hangul) sent by a Korean conlanger.
I hope it doesn't give him/her the idea that I'm being defensive lol...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing that Rangyayo is using a mixed script of Hanji and Yenmun (Hanja and Hangul), how cool is that to have a native Korean conlanger commented on my conlang. :) I was excited and thrilled!

For the phonetic values, you are right that some of them represented by Rangyayo Yenmun are different from that represented by nowadays Korean Hangul. However, somehow there are traces for us to believe that the Rangyayo version of phonetic values may be closer to what the Hangul alphabet were originally pronounced in the document of Hunminjeongeum (corresponding to the Middle Korean language).

First of all, Hunminjeongeum states that the doubled letters were once used to represent voiced consonants 전 탁음 자(全濁音字) - ㄲ /g/, ㄸ /d/, ㅃ /b/... ㅉ, ㅆ, ㆅ. And for vowel letter ㅓ, if we compare the corresponding Sino pronunciations of the Hanja that contains the vowel ㅓ, we are able to conclude that ㅓ is actually closer to /e/ in Middle Korean rather than /ɤ/ in Modern Korean (there could be a vowel shift when Middle Korean has evolved into Modern Korean). For example 선(鮮)is /ɕiɛn/ in Chinese, /sen/ in Japanese and /tiên/ in Vietnamese; and 건(健)is /tɕiɛn/ in Chinese, /ken/ in Japanese and /kiện/ in Vietnamese. And diphthong letters ㅐ ㅔ ㅚ may originally represent diphthongs in Middle Korean but have undergone monophthongization and become monophthongs in Modern Korean. For example, 새(賽)is /sai/ in Chinese, /sai/ in Japanese and /tái/ in Vietnamese.

About the pronunciations of Rangyayo Hanji, nearly each Hanji has two pronunciations, like 食, the first one is the native pronounciation /ya/ as in 食쁘 /yabu/ "eat", the second one is the Sino pronouncation /jik/ as in 食塩 /jikyem/ "table salt (salt for eating)". The relationships between the two pronunciations can be paralleled with Kunyomi and Onyomi in Japanese :) --Deslee (talk) 12:28, November 12, 2013 (UTC)

The main reason why you were not very impressed with the phonetic values of Rangyayo Yenmun, can be that the Hangul alphabet is only used by one language, the Modern Korean language. If it were used by more than one language like the Latin alphabet, in which many letters represent different phonemes in different languages, the Rangyayo version would be easier to swallow than it is now. For example, the Latin letter Y, has the sound values /j/ /i/ /ai/ in English but /y/ or /ʏ/ in the Scandinavian languages and in German; J has the sound values /dʒ/ in English but it is the palatal approximant /j/ in the great majority of other Germanic languages, Uralic and Slavic languages that use the Latin alphabet, and it is /x ~ h/ in Spanish and /ʒ/ in many other Romance languages.--Deslee (talk) 13:16, November 12, 2013 (UTC)

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

it's Hanja
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

not in his conlang

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

EDIT: scratch this post I was just too stupid to read the text properly

NEVERMIND
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

cia-cia is written in hangul

t d ɗ
ㄸㄷㅌ
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

desmond
Lebom
Lebom

Post by desmond »

According to this outlined recent history I've come up with for the Kingdom of Rangya,
In 1544, both Taiwan and Rangya were discovered by Portugal.
Portugal, and later Spain and Dutch were allowed to set up trading posts in Rangya.
Western settlements in Rangya helped keep early Japanese invasion away. (Japan invaded Ryukyu in 1609 but failed to invade Korea during 1592-1598)
Portuguese and Spanish traders were driven away by the Dutch forces
Dutch influence in Rangya was getting larger and larger, and eventually Rangya became a colony of the Dutch Empire.
It's natural to have a creole created based on Dutch and Rangyayo. More or less like the Macanese in Macau, derived from colonial language Portuguese and the local language Cantonese. Therefore we have,

Kuiyungyo or Kuiyung Creole (kuiyungyo; 帰融語; /kuɪ.jʊŋ.jɔ/), meaning "mixed language", is a creole language derived mainly from Dutch, Rangyan, English and Indonesian, which was originally spoken by the Kuiyung community of the Dutch colony of Rangya. It is now considered as a critically endangered language spoken only by very few people in Rangya.

This is the Kuiyungyo version of Universal Declaration of Human Rights (Article 1) compared with Dutch, English and Rangyan.
Attachments
kuiyungyo.jpg
kuiyungyo.jpg (65.09 KiB) Viewed 8214 times

desmond
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Rangyayo (now with vocabulary learning course on Memrise

Post by desmond »

It has been a long time since I last updated this thread. I miss my fellow conlangers :)
I'm now eager to present the debut of my "Learning Rangyayo Vocabulary" course on Memrise app. (my Memrise ID: jangkilee)

To use the course with Memrise, one needs to

1. Create an account. Go to memrise.com and choose a username or sign in with Facebook.

2. Choose a course. In the language section of the site alone there are courses in over 200 languages available, including Rangyayo. Search for keyword "Rangyayo" (http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/?q=rangyayo). Once you've found the "Learn Rangyayo Vocabulary" course, click on 'Start Learning'!

3. 'Grow' your vocabulary. Memrise uses a garden as a metaphor for memory. When you start learning a course, the vocabulary items will be planted as 'seeds'. As you are tested on them through typing and multiple choice tests, they be transferred from your 'greenhouse' (short term memory) into your 'garden' (long term memory).

4. 'Water' your vocabulary. Once an item of vocabulary is in your long term memory, it will need to be watered (tested on) periodically. If you get the answer right in the test, you won't need to water it again very soon, and vice versa. Growing and watering items and creating mems will give you a certain number of points each time.

5. You can also download Memrise app onto your mobile phone to learn Rangyayo.
IPhone app: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/memrise ... 66718?mt=8
Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nion&hl=en
Attachments
11065914_10152933160983831_3772081522117111273_o.jpg
11065914_10152933160983831_3772081522117111273_o.jpg (48.08 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
906015_10152933161043831_3799767048779425673_o.jpg
906015_10152933161043831_3799767048779425673_o.jpg (54.45 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
11084211_10152933160938831_7682041950904463349_o.jpg
11084211_10152933160938831_7682041950904463349_o.jpg (99.18 KiB) Viewed 7952 times

Sortsdam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sortsdam »

Desmond, I know this is such a horribly late reply; I just want to thank you so much for creating that memrise course! My birthday was on the same day you posted the last post, and so you could not have given me a better gift! Over the last year I have been absolutely obsessed with Rangyayo, creating many flashcards and grammar charts to teach myself; seriously, I write simple Rangyayo sentences every day... I haven't had much time or honestly interest in conlanging myself, and what's more is that I have had this urge to learn an East Asian language more fluently, and I have found myself much more excited over learning Rangyayo than Japanese or Korean or Chinese etc etc.... I just love this conlang so much. Maybe one day when I have kids, I will raise them with this language; I know that is remarkably insane and almost abusive, but it has been a tempting thought for some time.

Recently I made a map of Rangya Islands (simply on paper with pen), but I made sure that each and every city and town properly corresponded to your list on Rangya wiki page. One day I will make a digital version and show you so that I can see if you approve, but until then let me tell you some things about it:

1. I made the main island a long skinny thing much like Okinawa, but more north-south... at the south end of the island is a river delta where the cities of Suiyuchen and Shichen and Senphangtsyu etc lay; that is Shichen county.

2. In the river delta is an island, and that island I thought would be Urarinkhyu, so it sits in the midst of Shichen county. Then south of the delta and the main island, extends a long chain of little tiny islands much like the Florida keys; I thought that would make up the rest of Dotsin prefecture, making it quite remote and resort-like, but with Urarin at its very north and thus part of the Shichen metropolitan area.

3. North of Shichen county, as we go up the island, we find, in order towards the north, Rikuk, Hakhei and Hangphu at the northernmost of the island.

4. Then I drew some smaller, rocky islands east of the main island, in two groups; one being Jakang and the other Dukhyu. I made sure they were far enough from the big island to allow separate languages or dialects to have formed.

Okay so obviously this is your concountry and whatnot, so I would much much prefer if you would make a detailed map yourself... but in the meantime I just had to do it! Soon I will post a picture to see what you think. Of course you will have different ideas, but I am sure some of it will inspire you! :)

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

This is an awesome language! The verbal morphology seems like a simplification of English. Overall, the native words look like someone took a Swahili-esque language generator and mangled it until it looked like Mandarin and Korean had a lovechild which was adopted by Japanese. :-D
Are there any borrowings from Rangyayo into other languages in your world (especially Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese, and English)?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

desmond
Lebom
Lebom

Post by desmond »

Sortsdam wrote:Desmond, I know this is such a horribly late reply; I just want to thank you so much for creating that memrise course! My birthday was on the same day you posted the last post, and so you could not have given me a better gift! Over the last year I have been absolutely obsessed with Rangyayo, creating many flashcards and grammar charts to teach myself; seriously, I write simple Rangyayo sentences every day... I haven't had much time or honestly interest in conlanging myself, and what's more is that I have had this urge to learn an East Asian language more fluently, and I have found myself much more excited over learning Rangyayo than Japanese or Korean or Chinese etc etc.... I just love this conlang so much. Maybe one day when I have kids, I will raise them with this language; I know that is remarkably insane and almost abusive, but it has been a tempting thought for some time.

Recently I made a map of Rangya Islands (simply on paper with pen), but I made sure that each and every city and town properly corresponded to your list on Rangya wiki page. One day I will make a digital version and show you so that I can see if you approve, but until then let me tell you some things about it:

1. I made the main island a long skinny thing much like Okinawa, but more north-south... at the south end of the island is a river delta where the cities of Suiyuchen and Shichen and Senphangtsyu etc lay; that is Shichen county.

2. In the river delta is an island, and that island I thought would be Urarinkhyu, so it sits in the midst of Shichen county. Then south of the delta and the main island, extends a long chain of little tiny islands much like the Florida keys; I thought that would make up the rest of Dotsin prefecture, making it quite remote and resort-like, but with Urarin at its very north and thus part of the Shichen metropolitan area.

3. North of Shichen county, as we go up the island, we find, in order towards the north, Rikuk, Hakhei and Hangphu at the northernmost of the island.

4. Then I drew some smaller, rocky islands east of the main island, in two groups; one being Jakang and the other Dukhyu. I made sure they were far enough from the big island to allow separate languages or dialects to have formed.

Okay so obviously this is your concountry and whatnot, so I would much much prefer if you would make a detailed map yourself... but in the meantime I just had to do it! Soon I will post a picture to see what you think. Of course you will have different ideas, but I am sure some of it will inspire you! :)
I'm so sorry that this is a horribly late reply too. I would love to see the map of Rangya Islands you made. Please do share!

desmond
Lebom
Lebom

Post by desmond »

mèþru wrote:This is an awesome language! The verbal morphology seems like a simplification of English. Overall, the native words look like someone took a Swahili-esque language generator and mangled it until it looked like Mandarin and Korean had a lovechild which was adopted by Japanese. :-D
Are there any borrowings from Rangyayo into other languages in your world (especially Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese, and English)?
Thank you! Your impression on native Rangyayo words being Swahili-esque is one of the most interesting comment I have ever seen~! For borrowings from Rangyao into other languages in my alternative world, I will need to generate specific words related to Rangyan food, religion, culture, and these words will make their way into other natural languages such as Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Dutch, Portuguese, and English.