Flags

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Pthug wrote:i don't get it
what makes it difficult to draw
try it. contouring it, of course, not drawing a couple of squares.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

i did!
it doesn't seem terribly hard

it's not terribly pretty, but that's the point of freehand drawing -- it is still plenty recognisable as an 8 pointed star

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

i did!
it doesn't seem terribly hard

it's not terribly pretty,
the question is: is it terribly recognizable as an 8-pointed star ?

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

Yeah, 8-point stars are definitely not too hard to draw. Certainly easier than the US's 5-point stars, because of the 45-degree angles.

I submit empirical evidence:

An 8-point star, drawn freehand using a laptop trackpad.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

well it is recognisably a star and it has eight points

here i'll do one in paint

One where I drew one half and flipped it:

fully freehand:

with the squares method:

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Freehand using a touchpad:

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

just tried

you know what? you guys are right. it's not that hard.

Curan Roshac
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Curan Roshac »

Pthug should get credit for pointing this one out.
[quote="brandrinn"]A right without necessary provisions for its observance is just a cruel joke.
[/quote]

http://rpusa.info/platform.htm
http://www.stardestroyer.net/
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

It's not hard to draw. I mean, if it were, people would start complaining about the Israeli flag (which is rather pleasing aesthetically) because of the Star of David.

Velkas, that's a very nice flag. My only suggestion is that the gold areas look rather saturated, which is to say bit greyish. Good design overall.
And welcome to the board :)
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

benadam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by benadam »

thedukeofnuke wrote:It's not hard to draw. I mean, if it were, people would start complaining about the Israeli flag (which is rather pleasing aesthetically) because of the Star of David.
Disagree! If I was drawing both these flags -- Israeli and Velkas' -- freehand, I would find the Israeli flag much easier, because it is two triangles overlapping. Velkas', on the other hand, is not simply two squares overlapping -- it is a sixteen-sided shape, which is much more tricky do draw convincingly (although not impossibly so, as has been shown a number of times now).
Jihámon Yhliao?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Why are you guys using the paint bursh tool in MS Paint? Haven't you heard of the line tool, it's so much easier to use, especially while pressing shift.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

:|
The whole point of all the preceding drawings was to show how easy it is to draw an eight-pointed star freehand.

Also what's with you and MS Paint? Get GIMP, or Photoshop if you know the right people. Paint.net is also reputed to be good.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

thedukeofnuke wrote::|
The whole point of all the preceding drawings was to show how easy it is to draw an eight-pointed star freehand.

Also what's with you and MS Paint? Get GIMP, or Photoshop if you know the right people. Paint.net is also reputed to be good.
I can't stand those programs, too many options. Like Roller Coaster Tycoon, I like using nothing for tools to create incredible works.

BTW I realise the idea was to draw freehand but most people would draw on a sheet of paper a star more similar to one drawn using the line tool than the paint brush tool simply because we are less coordinated drawing freehand with a mouse.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

I have a problem with Dewrad's criticism of peoples' flags, namely that there are lots of real world countries that have ugly or complicated flags (by the standards of that website he linked anyway). If a real world country has an ugly flag because of some reason, why might a country in a constructed world not have an equally ugly flag for an analogous reason? From the perspective of conworlding, the more interesting piece of creative work isn't the flag itself, but the constructed historical process of how that flag came about.

Which leads into the question of why is it that countries have flags to begin with? European countries have flags because they came out of the heraldic tradition, and the designs on them are in turn based on the traditions of heraldry. But what about non-European countries? Did, say, China or Bactria or Egypt have flags before extensive European contact?

In my own conworld, I don't picture the Saimi as having a flag at all. They were originally seminomads who lacked a tradition of banners, except for the very pragmatic purpose of communication during battle, and it didn't occur to them to put their symbols on a flag. The agricultural nations that they conquered didn't use flags for that purpose either, but did make use of circular carved bronze discs for symbolic purposes. So when the Saimi coalesced as a nation what they considered to be their national symbol ended up being an intricately-carved bronze disc with all sorts of writing on it. It looked a bit like an Aztec calendar, and one of these days I'll up and design the thing.

The western barbarians did have flags which they used for symbols of their tribal groups (generally either perfect squares or long, narrow banners, nothing like the roughly 1:2 flag that most modern Earth nations seem to use), but that was just incentive for the Saimi and its descendant cultures to not do that, because the barbarians did. The settled Saimi stuck to metal discs.

Edit: I also want to note that I completely disagree with the site Dewrad linked about the Colorado flag. I think it's ugly as sin. The "C" in the middle of it is a detriment, not a positive.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

benadam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by benadam »

Well, here's a flag I designed yesterday, just for the sake of making a cool design. Purely æsthetic. But I could always make up symbolism for it, no?

I reckon the red could be an important letter (like a Z with a diagonal line through it), or something? First letter of the kingdom's name?
Jihámon Yhliao?

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Argh, my eyes!
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Christopher Schröder »

The red-on-green produces a singularly painful effect, and the design itself is incredibly strange, and, in its strangeness, seems rather unsuitable for a flag.
"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]

Hakaku
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Hakaku »

Pro-tip: Never save in .jpg unless it's a very detailed image or photo. Use .png for all around purposes. And if you have a decent program for it, use .gif for simple color images.
Chances are it's Ryukyuan (Resources).

MrKrov
Sanci
Sanci

Post by MrKrov »

benadam wrote:Disagree! If I was drawing both these flags -- Israeli and Velkas' -- freehand, I would find the Israeli flag much easier, because it is two triangles overlapping. Velkas', on the other hand, is not simply two squares overlapping -- it is a sixteen-sided shape, which is much more tricky do draw convincingly (although not impossibly so, as has been shown a number of times now).
The number of sides doesn't keep it from being a mere overlap of two squares. Also, the Israeli flag has a paltry four sides less, which isn't exactly significantly lower.
Last edited by MrKrov on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pthug wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:I grew up my entire life surrounded by a Special Ed educator.
i can imagine
Catch me on YouTube.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Never use all thin lines on a flag. A flag is not a barcode or in this case, those silly shape drawings you did in 5th grade on MS Paint when you were bored.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

It will haunt my dreams, methinks

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

MrKrov wrote:
benadam wrote:Disagree! If I was drawing both these flags -- Israeli and Velkas' -- freehand, I would find the Israeli flag much easier, because it is two triangles overlapping. Velkas', on the other hand, is not simply two squares overlapping -- it is a sixteen-sided shape, which is much more tricky do draw convincingly (although not impossibly so, as has been shown a number of times now).
The number of sides doesn't keep it from being a mere overlap of two squares. Also, the Israeli flag has a paltry four sides less, which isn't exactly significantly lower.
But unlike the Israeli flag, only the lines on the outside of the 8 pointed star design are visible, so it requires erasing if you draw from two overlapping squares.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

MrKrov
Sanci
Sanci

Post by MrKrov »

And you need to draw the internal lines to give it the shape of overlapping squares why?
Pthug wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:I grew up my entire life surrounded by a Special Ed educator.
i can imagine
Catch me on YouTube.

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Christopher Schröder »

Torco wrote:
Milloniare wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Milloniare wrote:Image
Interesting pattern!
It's Ukraine's coat of arms. I put it up because dewrad was getting anoyed at people for copying other country's flag and so on.

Btw, Its called the Trezub(Трезуб) which means 'three tooth'
That actually looks awesome... like a swan or a spacecraft... go ukraine
I saw something more like a sword and a crown merged together, though it is still one of the nicest coats-of-arms I have ever seen.
"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

Here is the wartime flag for the Kata Ku country, Hano:
(They hang flags from the top in Kata Ku, instead of holding the right side and letting the left fall like we do. What bad form!)
The darker, duller colors keep with Ku aesthetics. The red, at the top of the flag, symbolizes the war, and especially Hano's supremacy and inevitable victory.
The greens are on all Hano flags. The lighter green has the additional meaning here of peace under Hano rule. The darker can also be likened to areas not yet conquered. (But, being on the flag, are seen as Hano's land anyways.)
The black is a shortened form of the words "fire" and "people". Something like the "Moi Ku" emblem I stuck on all my passport pages. It's a little uneccessary here (there's no other country with those colors, but, hey, why not emphasize how great everything Hano is, anyways?)

---
That Ukranian flag is cool. o_o I normally dislike colors like that, but it works nicely there.