Flags

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Flags

Post by jal »

Can we please stop this obsession with RGB? This is a Flags thread...

JAL

sirred
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sirred »

In a bit of thread necromancy:

This is the flag for the Chompi.

The flag represents seven sacred peaks under a starless night. This is an allusion to the Chompi holy texts.
In every U.S. presidential election between 1976 and 2004, the Republican nominee for president or for vice president was either a Dole or a Bush.

el flokratisson
Sanci
Sanci

Post by el flokratisson »

This is the flag of Boyevania, a dictatorial and mighty country in my conworld.

http://imageshack.us/f/690/300pxboyevaniaflag.png/ (sorry, when I posted the link in [img] the flag didn't apear)

According to the lûndôyon (the Flokrati word for 'leader'), the red colour stands for the blood, which the soldiers have lost in the wars against their enemys from the "Rotten Empire". The green stands for the nature.
"Boye" is the name of the lûndôyon. The symbol on the bottom of the flag, which looks a bit like a human upside down, is the official symbol of the Boyevism, the religion of the country. By the way is silver the colour of religion, thats why every symbol is in silver. The key left on the top is actually the coat of arms from "Bremburg", which has a friendship with Boyevania. The bomb shall only represent the military power and superiority.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

el flokratisson wrote:This is the flag of Boyevania
el f., may we know your age?

JAL

el flokratisson
Sanci
Sanci

I'm 17, why do you ask? :o

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

el flokratisson wrote:I'm 17, why do you ask? :o
My guess:
Why does your conworld use the Latin alphabet?It would be better if you made a calligraphic example of the Boyevanian script.
The bomb looks immature.
Rotten Empire? :roll:
Bremburg?That name sounds like a small German village.
jal wrote:el f., may we know your age?JAL
You can put "JAL" in your signature :wink: .

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

randomusername wrote:
My guess:
Why does your conworld use the Latin alphabet?It would be better if you made a calligraphic example of the Boyevanian script.
The bomb looks immature.
It is apparently derived from the German city of Bremen, which has a silver key in a red field in its coat of arms.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

sirred
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sirred »

Yeah, no country which wanted to be taken seriously would put a cartoon bomb on their flag. You might as well put a mustache-twirling man tying a woman to train tracks on it.

Also, El-F (that would be bomb-flag, not Weeping), is English your L1 (first) language? I don't mean to be rude. I can understand you but something is just off, like your use of the term "the nature".
In every U.S. presidential election between 1976 and 2004, the Republican nominee for president or for vice president was either a Dole or a Bush.

el flokratisson
Sanci
Sanci

randomusername wrote:
My guess:
The bomb looks immature.
jal wrote:el f., may we know your age?JAL
You can put "JAL" in your signature :wink: .
Well, I admit it seems to be a bit childish, but I take my conworld quite seriously. They have realistic political systems, they have wars like in real life etc. and yes, it has homouristic tendencies, but this motivated me to work on and for me its more interesting. I work on the conworld with a friend, so we sometimes we wanna laugh so we write funny things about the countries. The bomb seems to be a bit ridicoulus but hey, Saudi-Arabia has a sword in the flag. :-D By the way the reason for the name "Rotten empire" isn' the meaning of rotten, it has another background. Bremburg is like a special country for me and my friend, because he is from Hamburg and I'm from Bremen and usually the cities don't like each other, but we thought it would be great to unite the cities.
The idea is, that the world is more a new world after the doomsday, instead of a parallel world. That a few people survive the doomsday (I assume that the doomsday will be in more than 100 years und it's easier for people to flee by spaceship) and establish a new civilisation on the moon or another planet... and of course they bring their culture to the new world and so it's normal that there is a country with german culture like Bremburg (there is also a country with turkish culture) We have founded also new cultures, boyevanian culture, pasacian culture etc but most of them have an example in the real world. For me is important that the countries have special features, and things which are typical for the country. It's hard for me to invent TOTALLY new cultures although it's exciting I think.

p.s. I think it wouldn't be worthwhile to invent a new alphabet and I'm not able to do this.
Finally I wouldn't call the world childish, I would call it a mixture between serious und fun work.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

el flokratisson wrote:I'm 17, why do you ask?
The reason for this has been explained by others. It seems to me that your conworld is the continuation of childhood fantasies, and thus displays many traits that would be best described as "childish".

JAL

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

randomusername wrote:You can put "JAL" in your signature
Apart from the fact that I don't like signatures and don't display them, I have written 3942 posts (this being the 3943rd) that include two blank lines, followed by "JAL" on the third line, below my post, and I intend to continue to do so.

JAL

Sortsdam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sortsdam »

Lots of negativity here. Let's all toke up and forget this nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lva9kHMheQg

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Since this thread was revived from the dead thanks to the magic of Thread Necromancy­ (TM), I would like to take advantage of this re-animation and offer the following flags of the regions/provinces/cantons of the Telemor Federation:
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Pretty flaggies *eyes glaze over*

No, seriously, those look awesome. Congrats for yet another permutation of Blue/Red/White horizontal stripes … Also, Abervon kicks ass. Quite unusual for European-style nation flags, I think, with that uneven proportion of colored fields and the blossom/wreath thing on it. Yet esthetically pleasing.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Yeah, they look really nice. Some of them don't really follow the classic good-flag-guidelines - looking at the Abervon one, for example, yellow against white is generally not recommended, and yellow against other shade of yellow would be a big no-no. Nonetheless, it looks like a flag one could easily get behind.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Chuma wrote:Yeah, they look really nice. Some of them don't really follow the classic good-flag-guidelines - looking at the Abervon one, for example, yellow against white is generally not recommended, and yellow against other shade of yellow would be a big no-no. Nonetheless, it looks like a flag one could easily get behind.
That said, they're probably a good ratio of "good" flags to "bad" flags, especially compared to the real world where "bad" flags are all too common (US state flags are a bit of a nightmare; most of them are blue with a complicated seal)

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Yes, it depends on what you're trying to do - make them as good as possible, or as good as is realistic.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Jipí wrote:Pretty flaggies *eyes glaze over*

No, seriously, those look awesome. Congrats for yet another permutation of Blue/Red/White horizontal stripes … Also, Abervon kicks ass. Quite unusual for European-style nation flags, I think, with that uneven proportion of colored fields and the blossom/wreath thing on it. Yet esthetically pleasing.
QFT.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

vampireshark wrote:flags of the regions/provinces/cantons of the Telemor Federation
Quite beautiful, except for Hecesta (horid) and Otaria (unrealistic).

JAL

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

jal wrote:
vampireshark wrote:flags of the regions/provinces/cantons of the Telemor Federation
Why should a pattern in black and gold be less realistic than the same in blue and silver (Bavaria)? I agree that Hecesta's doesn't look particularly beautiful.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

jal wrote:Quite beautiful, except for Hecesta (horid) and Otaria (unrealistic).
Otaria reminds me of the Maryland flag.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

jal wrote:

JAL
Wait, what? Otaria's flag looks like part of the flag of Maryland. I'd say that Hecesta's flag is the "unrealistic" one (from the POV of natflags), but even so it doesn't seem horrid. Actually, I wouldn't call any of these "bad" flags. But yeah, there's a pleasing mix of really good ones and not-so-good ones which is pretty naturalistic. It rocks.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

As WeepingElf said, it is basically just a colour-swap/rotation of the Bavarian flag, so it makes no sense to call it unrealistic.

sirred
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sirred »

While we're at it, Istret is just a recolored Democratic Republic of Congo flag with different proportions.

Ouagadougou
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ouagadougou »

I don't know what country this flag is for, but it is an old design.
Attachments
mystery flag 6 v2.png
mystery flag 6 v2.png (14.61 KiB) Viewed 4523 times