Flags

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Catscratch
Sanci
Sanci

Flags

Post by Catscratch »

Since the old flag thread is gone, I'm starting a new one. Post your conlang/conworld flags!

My Satchian flag...

Last edited by Catscratch on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Toko
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Toko »

[/img]
Last edited by Toko on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Apollyna
Niš
Niš

Post by Apollyna »

Oh, I've designed a normal and war flag, too. :'D Gotta find it lying around somehwere and make it all pretty and digitized... Sweet idea ~
Bieze! De taem faror do Garraneseil. Set taofe verpere do kiorax kalefi Garranex. U'unir-amu de versi set ied'elbr!

...De veisjem ine sepekuir-kot'hiy den [url=http://apollyna.deviantart.com]guok do tekeol[/url]. Dabie!

-Lee, wif <3

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I like the green white purple better too

Miiil
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Miiil »

Heres my flag
Blue for the oceans, green for the fertile land and yellow for gold(prosperity)

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Last edited by Aszev on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

Unbidden
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Unbidden »

Here's a basic Isharian flag from the classic period:

The bottom triangle shows that whoever flies this flag is loyal to the guiding council of the central province. Green rings for the forests that conceal and provide for the Isharians who live within the caverns (three being the number of natural entrances uncovered by the ancestors).

The top triangle would denote host -> sphere -> circle (in an army formation, it might display all three identifiers or only the host insignia).

It could also denote clan or cult affiliations and in the case of drafted tribal members their clan markers as well. In the case of human mercenaries (or more likely allies or tributaries) there’d be a separate marker to denote that fact as well.
(The top triangle is blank because I haven’t devised the markers yet)
Last edited by Unbidden on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Dewrad"]Oh god. It's like having a [i]really eager puppy[/i] bouncing on your chest when you're hungover.[/quote]

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Christopher Schröder »

Illyria (now-defunct concountry) —

Three others that were designed in collabouration with a friend —

"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]

nils
Niš
Niš

Post by nils »

Cool flags, keep 'em coming. I don't have any new flags yet but maybe I should make some...
[u]Disclaimer:[/u] I am a conlanguage noob, and trying to learn. Please be patient with dumb questions I may have.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Azev, I'm SOOOOO jealous. Who made it for you and what did it cost?

Flag of Falgwia:

Flag of Falgwian SSR:
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Jacqui
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jacqui »

Flag of Orgasia:

The hand in the corner is an orthodox church symbol (I have absolutely no i dea what it actually means but I've seen it a lot, TBH) and it has four Gothic symbols around the fingers.. ÏJCJ. This is a reminder of the country's gothic history. The letters are the emporer's initials.

Um.... yeah.

The white stripes are a symbol of peace within success. Teaching people to win quietly and keep thoughts to yourself.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

The flag of the Commonwealth of the Elves:

...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Slightly out of date linguistically, but certainly current vexilloligically:

Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Jacqui wrote:The hand in the corner is an orthodox church symbol (I have absolutely no i dea what it actually means but I've seen it a lot, TBH) and it has four Gothic symbols around the fingers.. ÏJCJ. This is a reminder of the country's gothic history. The letters are the emporer's initials.
The sign of the cross that a priest would use when giving a blessing? :?

Avorentión
Niš
Niš

Post by Avorentión »

The flag of the Avorenta language:

The black wolf in the middle is the Karavilkâs, the mythic animal of the language's speakers, it symbolizes togetherness and force.
http://avorenta.uw.hu

Forven, follum il Avorenta missáta pedoné h-errákiri qweren lájch.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Aszev's flag is likely the flag of some real world country or state. It wouldnt necessarily have to be specially made for him.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Soap wrote:Aszev's flag is likely the flag of some real world country or state. It wouldnt necessarily have to be specially made for him.
Extremadura, a province of Spain. The flag is upside down, but well...

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

The flag of Sogur:

The purple symbolises the immaterial spirit world, while the red symbolises fire and its status as a link between this life and the next. The pale circle in the middle represents the physical world. The stripes, from centre to edge, show that one's physical body (central circle) is to be burnt in fire (centre red stripe) to free one's souls from the physical world into the spirit world (centre purple stripes), then one's souls are burnt up in a spiritual 'fire' (outer red stripes) to carry them into the waiting Void (outer purple stripes). Although this sounds quite morbid to us, it is comforting to the Sogurians to be reminded that their souls will be sucked into the Void after they die.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

This is required reading for all those creating their own flags. Seriously, guys: some of these are just plain hideous.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Dewrad wrote:This is required reading for all those creating their own flags. Seriously, guys: some of these are just plain hideous.
Seconded.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Unbidden
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Unbidden »

Dewrad wrote:This is required reading for all those creating their own flags. Seriously, guys: some of these are just plain hideous.
Yet, it seems to be a very naturalistic thing to have a "bad" flag.

The only thing I wonder about is whether these concountries have invented screen printing for all the intricate details and graphics...
[quote="Dewrad"]Oh god. It's like having a [i]really eager puppy[/i] bouncing on your chest when you're hungover.[/quote]

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

Dewrad wrote:things
Well, then everyone should submit some crests or whatnot.

Toko
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Toko »

Unbidden wrote:

The only thing I wonder about is whether these concountries have invented screen printing for all the intricate details and graphics...
But of course (well at least the Hunzai).

Never thought there was anything particularly "bad" about my flag... it's distinguishable, symbolic, and simple, all basic shapes (triangles, rectangles, a circle and a simple star).

Unbidden
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Unbidden »

Zereskaoate wrote:Never thought there was anything particularly "bad" about my flag... it's distinguishable, symbolic, and simple, all basic shapes (triangles, rectangles, a circle and a simple star).
I think your flag is nice and also, going by the article, it's a "good" flag.

The Isharian flag might have problems though. I never considered what it would look like if there wasn't a dramatic breeze.
I guess the signallers will just have to start waving them about. :D

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Christopher Schröder »

Zereskaoate wrote:
Unbidden wrote:

But of course (well at least the Hunzai).

Never thought there was anything particularly "bad" about my flag... it's distinguishable, symbolic, and simple, all basic shapes (triangles, rectangles, a circle and a simple star).
It also does not wantonly break the rule of tincture, as I am fond of doing.
"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]