The Church of Climatology: App rumblings

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
su_liam
Sanci
Sanci

Re: The Church of Climatology: App rumblings

Post by su_liam »

Anguipes wrote:Well, things have passed an important threshold: I am now getting honest to goodness temperatures out.

This shows the theoretical rise in temperature that would caused by the incoming energy for one day around the (NH) winter. You can see how the oceans heat slower than the land. There are two more factors I need for a proper first pass* temperature map - the amount of heat the same areas would be losing, and a base temperature to modify.

*Calculating surface temperature relies (amongst other things) on cloud cover. Calculating cloud cover relies on air motion and moisture capacity. Which is calculated from temperature. Climate modeling is full of this kind of thing.
Here is my calculation for same situation.
This is what I get for daily insolation at NH winter solstice as a fraction of equatorial insolation at an equinox.
This is what I get for daily insolation at NH winter solstice as a fraction of equatorial insolation at an equinox.
NHWinter.png (4.77 KiB) Viewed 7470 times
As you can see, this is just daily insolation, but I think it shows a problem in your calculations. The insolation for the south pole is close to that at 45º north, for yours it appears to be zero. I am fairly confident in my calculations in this case. Even if my numbers are off the south pole should still be getting some insolation at the NH winter solstice.
My little attempt at a blog dedicated to worldbuilding Astrographer.
World-building/Non-linguistic Resources

Anguipes
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Anguipes »

Crap. I've messed up somewhere and now some parts of the program thinks it's summer while some parts thinks it's winter (simple solar declination problem). So in that pic, one pole is getting 0 day length and the other 0 energy input :oops: Now to double check all my functions again!

Edit: Fixed now.
"It is quite certain, in particular, that I have always been insane." ~ Aleister Crowley

"Save us all from arrogant men/And all the causes they're for/I won't be righteous again/I'm not that sure any more." ~ Shades of Grey, Billy Joel

Oerjan2
Niš
Niš

Post by Oerjan2 »

...hello? Is this thread live?

Anguipes, I hope you'll get this app done eventually... 'cuz if you don't I'll have to write one myself - and I really don't have the time for that! :D

Big kudos for the tutorial on how to visualize prevalent wind patterns, BTW. I had considered using the airbrush tool to create the pressure distribution, but I hadn't figured out how to get from there to the isobars (the colour gradient -> posterizing steps). Thanks! :)

Regards,

Oerjan

Zapcon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Zapcon »

This has really been a great thing to read, and I greatly appreciate the time you guys have put into it. I would really like to have that app to use when i create my own conworld one day...
Legion wrote:[triangular slavery] > [african polyrythms] + [western folk music] (+ (sometimes) [western art music]) = [biggest explosion in diversity since the Cambrian]

Anguipes
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Anguipes »

I'm taking a seasonal break, so that a) I don't get burnt out and b) I can work on stuff for my own conworld. Be back in the New Year!
"It is quite certain, in particular, that I have always been insane." ~ Aleister Crowley

"Save us all from arrogant men/And all the causes they're for/I won't be righteous again/I'm not that sure any more." ~ Shades of Grey, Billy Joel

Oerjan2
Niš
Niš

Re:

Post by Oerjan2 »

Anguipes wrote:Pressure

GIMP - Making a Pressure Map

Make a new layer, called "pressure", and move it to the top if necessary. Fill it with 50% grey (#7f7f7f), then turn the transparency to about 50%. Make sure you can see your continent map and cell boundaries through it.

Using the brush tool, blob on areas of white (high pressure) over the winter hemisphere continents, and black (low pressure) over the summer hemisphere ones. Land at either pole will be cold and therefore slightly high pressure, unless your planet experiences hot/cold poles as described above.

Over the oceans, put low pressure areas (black) around the cell boundaries where air is rising, and high pressure ones (white) where air is falling.
A modification to this:

Don't use pure white and pure black for the general pressure areas, but instead use slightly off-white and, er... is off-black a word? (I used RGB values 230-230-230 for the off-white and 25-25-25 for the not-quite-black.) Then paint all tall mountain ranges with the pure colours (black over the summer hemisphere, white over the winter side of the planet) before applying the blurs.

This provides extra detail to the pressure distribution (particularly on planets with large continents), and captures features like the wind systems over Siberia (which is heavily affected by the Himalayas).

Regards,

Oerjan

Oerjan2
Niš
Niš

Post by Oerjan2 »

One more comment to the wind pattern generation process: I find the gyres look more realistic - i.e., more similar to real weather maps, and also easier to use for figuring out where the ocean currents go - if the arrows are turned 60° instead of 45°.

(Unfortunately I didn't realize that until after I had filled in an entire 36x72-square grid by hand and started looking at the results... :( The isobar maps look absolutely gorgeous though! :D)

Later,

Oerjan

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Anguipes wrote:I'm taking a seasonal break, so that a) I don't get burnt out and b) I can work on stuff for my own conworld. Be back in the New Year!
Well, to be fair you didn't specificy WHICH new year...
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Anguipes
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Anguipes »

:x

I confess, I ran into insurmountable.... stuff. I just cannot get my head around implementing the fluid dynamics, or even any of the libraries I could use. I suck.

su_liam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by su_liam »

Don't beat yourself up. This stuff is a great steaming bitch. I tried to get MITgcm running without any success. The program is all written by other people, who are clearly smarter than me, but I can't even get that bastard to compile. I still have a massive headache from trying to read the instructions. :?

Although... Maybe you should be embarrassed for being almost as stupid as me. :cry:
My little attempt at a blog dedicated to worldbuilding Astrographer.
World-building/Non-linguistic Resources

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

oh noes! the hosting on the images has gone down.