Lexicon Building

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

patiku wrote:It's an alternate term for "dirty fighting", especially when someone bites and scratches.
Doesn't work for my conpeople and their language, then. They know better than that~

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Skomakar'n wrote:I've never heard of that term, or concept. What is it? Like when two baby cats fight without the intent to hurt each other, but are just playing?
yes - cats, wolves, lion cubs, human children....even if it looks like they're throwing punches, it's got almost no force behind it - when they bite, the jaws don't even try to close...essentially play-acting, like in a theater.
patiku wrote:It's an alternate term for "dirty fighting", especially when someone bites and scratches.
I think that's a "catfight".
MadBrain is a genius.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

:| No, that's not it at all. Play fighting is when you "fight" with someone as a game, not because you actually want to hurt them. It's rowdy play behaviour, not actual conflict.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Imralu wrote:
:| No, that's not it at all. Play fighting is when you "fight" with someone as a game, not because you actually want to hurt them. It's rowdy play behaviour, not actual conflict.
Oh, er, uh, I only read your translation - "fight like a dog". :?

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

patiku wrote:Oh, er, uh, I only read your translation - "fight like a dog". :?
Yeah, you highlighted something interesting actually. The Ewed word for "horseplay" is more like "dogfight" in origin.

In English, fight like a dog has connotations of "dishonorable fighting". Dogs fight in a way (with their teeth) that we think of a dishonorable (as though punching someone's face with your fist and refraining from using teeth and nails or going for straight for the genitals is somehow more honorable) and often for a reason (food) that we see as petty, so I can see how this connotation arose. Horseplay on the other hand, I'm not so sure. Are horses particularly known for play fighting? In my experience, equine fighting seems more often genuinely aggressive and less playful than dogs'. My aunt had two horses that initially got on fine but then had a big falling out. Horses that get on well often chase each other around, but actual fighting, biting and kicking with hooves doesn't seem to be forgiven as quickly.

The Ewed don't have horses and have made a different observation about dogs. Dogs often chase each other and jump all over each other and bite each other and bark for no reason other than having a lot of playful energy, and then when it's over, they don't seem to hold it against each other.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Jacqui
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jacqui »

Sko, seeing as nobody has explained it properly yet, a playfight are people pretending to fight, so they are playing basically.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Jacqui wrote:Sko, seeing as nobody has explained it properly yet [...]
Earlier, I wrote:Play fighting is when you "fight" with someone as a game, not because you actually want to hurt them. It's rowdy play behaviour, not actual conflict.
:cry:

Also, is anyone going to provide their word and suggest a subsequent word?
________
MY MUSIC

WurdBendur
Sanci
Sanci

Post by WurdBendur »

ćobob (ćobom, ćobomum) v. playfight, pretend fighting. This is distinguished from horseplay, which is not so much playfighting as careless playing that is likely to cause accidents.

next: mammal
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/WurdBendur/delith_halused.png[/img]
Delith nerektos keto doth mül so mili.
Reflections of fear cast shadows of nothing.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

WurdBendur wrote:ćobob (ćobom, ćobomum) v. playfight, pretend fighting. This is distinguished from horseplay, which is not so much playfighting as careless playing that is likely to cause accidents.

next: mammal
hiyalnogarwo ńnarańii greegii = (of the) 'family' of dugongs and bats.
{those are the only two species of mammals they knew of, prior to the arrival of missionaries}

/ˈhí:.alno.Gar.wo Nnara.Nii Gree.Gii/
hiy.alno.gar.wo ńnara.ńi.i gree.gii
hiy = iterative, plural.
alno = Imperfect, no tense.
wo = hand {to emphasize that this is what's doing the grasping later}
gar = family, gathering, unit, team.
Nnara = dugong
Gree = fruit bat.
-(ń)ii -(g)ii = marker for something which is within, which is being held. (consonant is in harmony with the initial consonant of the noun)
(the <y> in Romanization marks the preceeding vowel as higher)

Next: singing in..., singing within...
MadBrain is a genius.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Rodlox wrote:Next: singing in..., singing within...
What? Is that a particular concept you wish you express? It just seems like two random words taken from the middle of a sentence (eg. "people don't", "dancing under").

In Ewed you'd say laala ni, for example Na i laala ni ham na "I'm singing in my house."

No next word, I'll let the next person do "singing in" again.
________
MY MUSIC

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Imralu wrote:
Rodlox wrote:Next: singing in..., singing within...
What? Is that a particular concept you wish you express?
yes. (ie, singing in the house, singing within a chorus)
It just seems like two random words taken from the middle of a sentence (eg. "people don't", "dancing under").
more like "dancing under"...I thought it would be a good example of Locative. (wrong word?)
No next word, I'll let the next person do "singing in" again.
MadBrain is a genius.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Rodlox wrote: more like "dancing under"...I thought it would be a good example of Locative. (wrong word?)
Depends on the language, could be locative, could be inessive. Some languages may treat "singing in the house/shower" differently to "singing in a choir". The first is physical location, the second may better be described by indicating "sing as a member of ..."

In Finnish, for example, you'd say "sing" (which is laulaa) followed by the inessive case on the next noun. There's no way to just say "sing in" (other than laulaa -ssä/-ssa ... it must be in something.

Laula-n talo-ssa
{sing-1S house-INESS}
"I sing in the/a house"

Laula-n sängy-ssä
{sing-1S bed-INESS}
"I sing in bed.
________
MY MUSIC

Echobeats
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Echobeats »

Rodlox wrote:
WurdBendur wrote:next: mammal
{those are the only two species of mammals they knew of, prior to the arrival of missionaries}
Does this mean that the missionaries brought horses, dogs etc. with them, or that your conpeople are e.g. reptilian and the missionaries were the third species of mammal they encountered? :P
[i]Linguistics will become a science when linguists begin standing on one another's shoulders instead of on one another's toes.[/i]
—Stephen R. Anderson

[i]Málin eru höfuðeinkenni þjóðanna.[/i]
—Séra Tómas Sæmundsson

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Next word: Country (as in a state or nation)

Riksjech: n; country, realm, kingdom.

from Proto-Alpine *riksajex "kingdom, tribe", which is from Gaulish rix "king" and the Proto-Danubian abstract noun morpheme *-jəxə.

Next word: Empire

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

Ardinorian:

habronehis

The physical country. From habaron emperor; nehis country, land

habrasa

The concept of empire. Not imperialism, but a theological term used in the emperor's invocations. I think a good analogy would be the usage of America in speeches
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Echobeats wrote:
Rodlox wrote:
WurdBendur wrote:next: mammal
Does this mean that the missionaries brought horses, dogs etc. with them, or that your conpeople are e.g. reptilian and the missionaries were the third species of mammal they encountered? :P
the first option. they're fully human.
MadBrain is a genius.

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Arzena wrote:Ardinorian
Come on, man, you have to pick the next word. Keep the chain going!

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

We seem to have lost the thread here.

Saolo:

bélke vi. fail (Kulae imphéokel "not hit, miss")

next: pay attention

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

tumcualae - to pay attention to; from tum short for tu mi your, cua eyes, lae to give; "give your eyes"

Tu, tumcualanen o. You, give your eyes to me. Hey you, pay attention to me.

next word: mess, jumble

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

eodrakken wrote:next: pay attention
Ewed:

ngin "focuses (on)", "concentrates (on)", "pays attention (to)"

Next: experience
Last edited by Imralu on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
________
MY MUSIC

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

vuasum - experience, in a sense of having done something before; from vua life sum knowledge

vuaksksenao - to experience, to live through; also from vua

next word: to skip over, to miss

WurdBendur
Sanci
Sanci

Post by WurdBendur »

äta n. saccade, a skipping motion; gap, interval. v. skip over

next: north
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/WurdBendur/delith_halused.png[/img]
Delith nerektos keto doth mül so mili.
Reflections of fear cast shadows of nothing.

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

krave: n, adj; North

from Proto-Danubian *k'əla "cold" and *wəiya "way, path"

Next word: Evil (the conceptual noun)

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

Moiiiiiiiiiii Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:
Mál means evil. On a scale of abstractness, veslin mi mál or málveslin would be the pure concept, and málnino would be almost tangible. Málnino would probably also work for Evil, because mál by itself can mean rude.

next word: repetitive, repetition, repeat, repeating

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

HelixWitch wrote:next word: repetitive, repetition, repeat, repeating
Ewed:

Ewe: again
Ewe dje do again, repeat

Ma i dze du. Wa i dac ewe dje ma.
"That's no good. You have to do that again."

Next word: lizard.
________
MY MUSIC