Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Pole, the »

Is this plausible ?
ɐ̃ ĩ õ ũ ẽ > ɐn in on un en
or
ɐ̃ ĩ õ ũ ẽ > ɐ: i: o: u: e:
or
ɐ̃ ĩ õ ũ ẽ > ɐ i o u e
All of these three are ok.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Kilanie
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kilanie »

Daedalon, all your vowel changes work.
Daedolon wrote:And what could be done to with [w̃] and [j̃] ?
They might just lose the nasalisation. You could also have them influence surrounding sounds, so that [gw̃a] > [ŋw̃a] > [ŋʷa] or [ŋʷã] or something similar. Intervocalically or word-initially, perhaps > [nw] and [nj].
After ordering a pint of his favorite ale, Robert was perplexed when the barmaid replied that the fishmonger was next door. The Great English Vowel Shift had begun.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

I have the fictional race of mine, The Ḵsīnesīr, have a language.

The language I'm working on, Vrkhazhian, is supposed to be a decendant of the Ḵsīnesīr's language.

Problem is, the Ḵsīnesīr don't have lips because they're face is covered in bony-plating!

So, how could the descendant language generate bilabials and create rounding of vowels (the back vowels in the ancestor are all unrounded, while the descendant has them all rounded)?

There would be intermediate languages in between the Ḵsīnesīr language and Vrkhazhian. It's not direct ancestry.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Ahzoh wrote: Problem is, the Ḵsīnesīr don't have lips because they're face is covered in bony-plating!
Biologically, or as some kind of cultural practice? I'd assume the latter, unless Vrkhazhian is the descendent of Ḵsīnesīr adopted by a lip-possessing species.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

sangi39 wrote:
Ahzoh wrote: Problem is, the Ḵsīnesīr don't have lips because they're face is covered in bony-plating!
Biologically, or as some kind of cultural practice? I'd assume the latter, unless Vrkhazhian is the descendent of Ḵsīnesīr adopted by a lip-possessing species.
Biologically, they have no lips:
http://zeebwiki.org/index.php?title=%E1 ... nes%C4%ABr

Yes, Vrkhazhian is a language spoken by humans that descended from the languages that the Khsinesir spoke. It belongs to the Hašakaṃ language family, of the Northern variety.
In turn, Proto-Hašakaṃ is a descendant of Proto-Seḍ-Ašīrran, which is what the Khsinesir that first came into contact with humans first spoke.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.

Mugitus
Niš
Niš

Post by Mugitus »

My proto-lang contains the phonemes /dʑ g/ in its inventory and a descendant language lacks those two phonemes, how can I eliminate them realistically? Thanks!
C

Daedolon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daedolon »

Mugitus wrote:My proto-lang contains the phonemes /dʑ g/ in its inventory and a descendant language lacks those two phonemes, how can I eliminate them realistically? Thanks!
dʑ > dz > dz̻ > dð > ð > ∅
g > k > x > h >∅

Mugitus
Niš
Niš

Post by Mugitus »

Daedolon wrote:
Mugitus wrote:My proto-lang contains the phonemes /dʑ g/ in its inventory and a descendant language lacks those two phonemes, how can I eliminate them realistically? Thanks!
g > k > x > h >∅
Thank you :)
C

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Mugitus wrote:
Daedolon wrote:
g > k > x > h >∅
You could even go down a different root and have:

dʑ > ʑ > j > ∅
g > ɣ > ɰ > ∅

Those last two changes might have effects on neighbouring vowels, e.g. lengthening, fronting, etc.

Saying that, if you already have /j/ and /w/, /ɰ/ could merge into the latter. You don't have to take the next step in completely deleting them from the inventory since, as far as the speakers are concerned, they aren't distinct sounds now.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Genome
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Genome »

What is the quickest way to go from ʔ to tʃ?

Kilanie
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kilanie »

sangi39 wrote:
Mugitus wrote:
Daedolon wrote:
g > k > x > h >∅
You could even go down a different root and have:

dʑ > ʑ > j > ∅
g > ɣ > ɰ > ∅
I'd like to add that some of these changes would be pretty unlikely to occur universally. For instance, g > k probably won't occur between vowels. Make sure to take phonetic environment into account.
After ordering a pint of his favorite ale, Robert was perplexed when the barmaid replied that the fishmonger was next door. The Great English Vowel Shift had begun.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Ahzoh wrote:I have the fictional race of mine, The Ḵsīnesīr, have a language.

The language I'm working on, Vrkhazhian, is supposed to be a decendant of the Ḵsīnesīr's language.

Problem is, the Ḵsīnesīr biologically don't have lips because they're face is covered in bony-plating!

So, how could the descendant language, which is spoken by humans, generate bilabials and create rounding of vowels (the back vowels in the ancestor are all unrounded, while the descendant has them all rounded)?

There would be intermediate languages in between the Ḵsīnesīr language and Vrkhazhian. It's not direct ancestry.
Still need an answer to this...

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Ahzoh wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I have the fictional race of mine, The Ḵsīnesīr, have a language.

Problem is, the Ḵsīnesīr biologically don't have lips because they're face is covered in bony-plating!

So, how could the descendant language, which is spoken by humans, generate bilabials and create rounding of vowels (the back vowels in the ancestor are all unrounded, while the descendant has them all rounded)?

Still need an answer to this...
Well, back vowels and /ɰ/ could spontaneously become rounded; back vowels tend to be rounded cross-linguistically, I think because it makes them more audible and distinct. Consonants before rounded vowels could subsequently become labialized as a minor phonetic detail. After that, labialized velars like [kʷ] could turn into labials, which is an attested sound change in ta number of Oto-Manguean languages. Subsequent vowel shifts could result in them becoming phonemic.

Other labials could, of course, come into the language through borrowing, and new words with labials could arise as compounds of borrowings with Ḵsīnesīr-descended words. Likewise, languages have been known to borrow derivational affixes from one another, and borrowing an affix with a labial could spread labials throughout the language. FInally, the human speakers of Vrkhazhian could innovate new words with labials, particularly "baby talk" words like 'mama' and 'papa' and onomatopoeia like 'bubble'.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Genome wrote:What is the quickest way to go from ʔ to tʃ?
Have it turn into [j] and then fortite. This would probably happen only around front vowels.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

ʔ → tʃ.

The quickest, not the most plausible, tho.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

I would say, via /k/. But this shows the problem with such questions: We need to know which other phonemes exist in the language to come up with a helpful answer. It probably has /k/, which is a very common phoneme, so the change /ʔ/ > /k/ > /tʃ/ would cause problems with old /k/s.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Is /tl dl/ > /tɬ dɮ/ > /tʃ dʒ/ plausible?

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

KathAveara wrote:Is /tl dl/ > /tɬ dɮ/ > /tʃ dʒ/ plausible?
I see no problems with that.

Genome
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Genome »

WeepingElf wrote:
I would say, via /k/. But this shows the problem with such questions: We need to know which other phonemes exist in the language to come up with a helpful answer. It probably has /k/, which is a very common phoneme, so the change /ʔ/ > /k/ > /tʃ/ would cause problems with old /k/s.
Here is the phonology:
Consonants: p t k q ʔ s ʃ ɸ h j w
Vowels: i e a o
and
Syllable Structure (just in case): (C)(j/w)V(C)

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

Is word-initial VC → CV (metathesis) plausible?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Is /kʰ/ → /kˤ/ plausible?

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

I have for Proto-Pasuu a five vowel system of /a i e o u/ each with short, long, and overlong variants. What could I do for a daughterlang?

In Pazmat I kept the short system the same but screwed with the long and overlong systems:
/a: i: e: o: u:/ :> /e: aw i: a: o:/
/a:: i:: e:: o:: u::/ :> /ej u: aj oj u:/

In Sefir I merged the long with the short, the long retaining their qualities but the overlongs breaking by acquiring offglides and the short merging quite a bit:
/a i e o u/ :> /a e a a u/
/a:: i:: e:: o:: u::/ :> /aj iy ej oj uw/ :> /aj i ej aj u/

But I'm not sure on what I can do for the third language I want to derive from Proto-Pasuu, Qulshni. I'm not too versed on vowel changes compared to consonant ones.

PP's phonology is explained here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43003
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Pole, the wrote:Is /kʰ/ → /kˤ/ plausible?
I wouldn't say so, unless a change from aspirate to ejective is attested somewhere. Even then, if *kʰ is the only phoneme to change it strikes me as somewhat unnaturalistic.
Chagen wrote:I have for Proto-Pasuu a five vowel system of /a i e o u/ each with short, long, and overlong variants. What could I do for a daughterlang? [. . .]
If you're going for unconditional changes, vowel length to tone jumped out at me (this appears to have happened in Athabaskan). I'd say keep it a bit more interesting, though, and maybe try for some conditional changes. You could nasalize vowels before prenasalized stops and then have them lower or lengthen after developing offglides while you collapse the rest of your length system.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Pogostick Man wrote:
Pole, the wrote:Is /kʰ/ → /kˤ/ plausible?
I wouldn't say so, unless a change from aspirate to ejective is attested somewhere.
/kˤ/ is not an ejective.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Pogostick Man wrote: If you're going for unconditional changes, vowel length to tone jumped out at me (this appears to have happened in Athabaskan). I'd say keep it a bit more interesting, though, and maybe try for some conditional changes. You could nasalize vowels before prenasalized stops and then have them lower or lengthen after developing offglides while you collapse the rest of your length system.
Wow, how did I not think of nasalization...I decided to that for another one of the Pasuu languages, Jawąs/Jawans. Prenasalized aspirates become nasal stops, but the modal prenasalized ones become voiced stops and nasalize the previous vowel (this is phonemic because the pre-nasalized palatalized stops become modal voiced stops as well but don't nasalize the previous vowel). Then /ĩ ẽ ũ õ ã/ > /ẽ ẽ õ ã ã/ Length remains phonemic though. So:

PP *ᵐbʰroⁿd- > Jws. mrąd- (cf. Pazmat bron-, Sefir mron- Qulshni brun-)
PPᵐbʰroⁿdʰ- > Jws. mrod- (cf. Pazmat brod-, Sefir mron-, Qulshni brudh-)

Thanks. I think I'll keep the tone idea for another Pasuu lang.
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P