Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by StrangerCoug »

I find DVN :> DṼND :> DṼD more plausible than DVN :> DṼD directly, but I'm hard-pressed to see how they are implausible on their own. Voiced plosives can become nasals and vice-versa without a lot of difficulty if memory serves.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

what might cause an unvoiced consonant/cluster at the beginning of a word to voice?

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

GreenBowTie wrote:what might cause an unvoiced consonant/cluster at the beginning of a word to voice?
Sandhi (Assimilation to voicedness at the end of the previous word, intervocalic position due to previous word ending in a vowel.
Unconditioned voicing of intitial stops has happened in Turkish (/k/ > /g/, /t/ > /d/).

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

You've also got initial /s/ in German voicing, and dialectically for fricatives in English (no longer productive? fox > vixen). I'm sure I've heard of it elsewhere as well, but examples aren't coming to me. Clusters I'd think would resist voicing unless it includes a sonorant.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Grunnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grunnen »

Yeah, and in Dutch it's not just the initial /s/ that got voiced, but initial /f/ did so as well. Compare English fare, Germen fahren, Dutch varen. In contemporary Dutch word initial fricatives have a tendency to devoice, so that <varen> may be pronounced with a [f], but that's a whole nother story.
χʁɵn̩
gʁonɛ̃g
gɾɪ̃slɑ̃

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

vokzhen wrote:You've also got initial /s/ in German voicing,
Not saying that this is no valid example, but it's part of a bigger picture, as intervocalic /s/ was voiced as well.

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

Max1461 wrote:How plausible is vowel metastasis across consonants? Things like uCa -> Cua, or uCa -> aCu? What kinds of environment could trigger it?
Things like aCi > aCʲi > ajC(i) or aCu > aCʷu > auC(u) are attested (e.g. in Avestan, Livonian, and I've seen one proposal that Germanic umlaut also sort of went like this). Quite probably this could also happen in the other direction i.e. iCa >> Cia, uCa >> Cua.

If you want to limit the extent to which this happens, then e.g. "poorly palatalizable" or "poorly labializable" consonants can block the change:
ali > alʲi > aili > ail, but ari > ar (without **rʲ)
aku > akʷu > auku > auk, but abu > ab (without **bʷ)

I don't know about full metathesis, that seems unlikely to happen as a systematic change.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Isn't there -Cj- > -iC- for some consonants in some Greek dialects (the others typically having -Cj- > -CC-)?

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

KathAveara wrote:Isn't there -Cj- > -iC- for some consonants in some Greek dialects (the others typically having -Cj- > -CC-)?
Yep, Greek too.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

uCV iCV > CuV CiV is quite common initially in Paman apparently. In some languages, even /a/ metathesises when followed by /i u/, which then become the corresponding glides, so /ati/ > /tay/.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

How plausible is t,d > tʰ,t > t:,t ?

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

I find the tʰ :> t: change hard to buy unconditionally. Intervocalically, I can see it.

Proto-Wideriver

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

I got a few questions about vowel mutation.
Does it (the vowel that causes mutation) only affect the previous vowel? Or can it affect a vowel that comes after it?
Does it only make the affected vowel the same quality as itself, or does it just cause, say, fronting and unrounding or backing and rounding, or perhaps it can do either/or?
Could it affect a vowel before it as well as after it?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Does it (the vowel that causes mutation) only affect the previous vowel? Or can it affect a vowel that comes after it?
It can affect following vowels as well. If it affects previous vowels, it's called regressive metaphony; if it affects following vowels, you have progressive metaphony.
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Does it only make the affected vowel the same quality as itself, or does it just cause, say, fronting and unrounding or backing and rounding, or perhaps it can do either/or?
All of those are quite plausible. Turkish has two types of vowel harmony, you may want to look at how this affects suffixes in the language.
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Could it affect a vowel before it as well as after it?
I'm not aware of any attestations thereto.

Proto-Wideriver

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

StrangerCoug wrote:
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Does it (the vowel that causes mutation) only affect the previous vowel? Or can it affect a vowel that comes after it?
It can affect following vowels as well. If it affects previous vowels, it's called regressive metaphony; if it affects following vowels, you have progressive metaphony.
I do believe regressive is far more common, though. I wouldn't be surprised if i-mutation alone makes up the majority of known instances of metaphony, though I myself don't know.
From a synchronic point of view some vowel harmony works like this, where the presence of one set of vowels present anywhere in the word affects a change in all other vowels in the word (though afaict basing it off the root is [far] more common). Diachronically, though, I'm not aware of any instances off the top of my head.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

re: aspiration -- no, but if you want something to do with it, look up Monguor. it went #CVCʰV > CʰVCV, #VCʰV > xVCV, but i don't know the details
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Nortaneous wrote:re: aspiration -- no, but if you want something to do with it, look up Monguor. it went #CVCʰV > CʰVCV, #VCʰV > xVCV, but i don't know the details
Is that in response to me?

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

StrangerCoug wrote:
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Does it only make the affected vowel the same quality as itself, or does it just cause, say, fronting and unrounding or backing and rounding, or perhaps it can do either/or?
All of those are quite plausible. Turkish has two types of vowel harmony, you may want to look at how this affects suffixes in the language.
Ah, no, I'm not looking for vowel harmony. I'm doing the mutations for the ablaut that leads to a triconsonsonantal root system.
Something like:
sudan (active present) + e (object pronoun) :> sudane (passive present) :> esudane (passive present) :> suden (passive present), but also nuesudane :> nisuden (passive past)
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

If you're not interested in vowel harmony, then regressive metaphony would probably be your better bet, since I believe vowel harmony usually operates on progressive metaphony.

Proto-Wideriver

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

StrangerCoug wrote:If you're not interested in vowel harmony, then regressive metaphony would probably be your better bet, since I believe vowel harmony usually operates on progressive metaphony.
Ah, but, I have to use progressive metaphony to get the unmarked active stem CuCaC

sodan :> usodan :> usudan :> sudan
menit :> umenit :> umunit :> munit

It has to be this way.

Also, I never asked, but could there be e-mutation and o-mutation? even schwa-mutation?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

How plausible is xl, hl :> ɬ, noting that several languages that the language is in intimate contact with have /ɬ/.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Extremely.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

vokzhen wrote:Extremely.
Thanks.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

Would you say that the shifts ç > x and ʃ > x are about equally plausible?