Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Nortaneous »

KQ used to claim it happened in Danish.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

CatDoom wrote:I'm sure somebody has asked this before, but I've had no luck finding it. It's famously rare for palatal or palatalized velar stops to shift to plain velars; I was just curious if anybody knew of any case where this is known or believed to have happened unconditionally.
This may have happened in Egyptian Arabic, which has [g] where the standard has [dʒ]. It depends on what you consider the ancestor to the sound was (if it was *ɟ or *gʲ, or just *g).
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Depending on what you think Proto-Austronesian *j is, that happened in Pangasinan and several other languages of the Philippines: *j > g, e.g. *qalejaw > Pang. agew; *bajaq > Ilokano baga

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

thetha wrote:Depending on what you think Proto-Austronesian *j is, that happened in Pangasinan and several other languages of the Philippines: *j > g, e.g. *qalejaw > Pang. agew; *bajaq > Ilokano baga
Given *j is reflected almost entirely as coronal, it seems likely the route was more like Pashto retroflex>velar or Irish dental>velar (or Spanish/Slavic postalveolar/velar, though those particular examples are both voiceless).

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

None of the experts reconstruct it as dental or retroflex, and it's reflected as various palatals in oceanic, so I find that somewhat more tenuous. than the standard assumed historical value.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Unless Wikipedia is wrong (or wildly unrepresentative), *j looks to be dental/alveolar in most Formosan languages and coronal in all except maybe a couple isolated cases, which accounts for somewhere between 3/4ths and 9/10ths Austronesian branches. If Oceanic has a palatal (and some Philippine a velar), it seems very likely that's a secondary development. Though I don't know the details of why they construct a palatal, I'm just looking at Wikipedia's table of correspondences, so maybe I'm talking out my ass. (Though taking a closer look, it looks like Blust does reconstruct it as a coronal *z, and unless I'm misreading Ross doesn't accept that *j/*z is even distinct from *d until some time after Malayo-Polynesian split off.) A good way to screw things up is to read them backwards.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

Let's say you're starting out with something like /a e ɛ i ɔ o u p b m t d n t͡ʃ d͡ʒ ɲ k ɡ ŋ ʔ h s z ʃ ʒ r/ for your inventory and you allow (C)V(C) syllables with the restriction that the coda consonant, if it's there, can't be any of /b d d͡ʒ ɡ z ʒ/ (at least not until you apply allophonic voicing). /b d d͡ʒ ɡ z ʒ/ happen to be the very sounds you lose to a tone split; syllables that once started with those consonants are now pronounced with a low tone while the other syllables are pronounced with a high tone. If you want the tone system to be more complex, what are some developments it can take from there?
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Losing coda fricatives (likely /h/ in this case) lowers tone or causes a falling tone. Losing coda glottal stops can be either a lower/falling tone or a higher/rising tone (not sure there's any accepted evidence for the difference, but I think I've heard stiff versus creaky voice, pure glottal stop versus creaky voice, creaky voice versus harsh voice, etc). Hiatus with a tone on each can merge into a single vowel + a contour tone. Not entirely sure it's attested but diphthongs might monophthongize with a high-falling or low-falling tone (or high-rising or low-rising, if they're rising diphthongs); similarly, it's attested that a sequence of vowel + glide + vowel can monophthongize with contour tone, and I'd imagine you can get register tones in that way too (VhV > breathy + tone, VʔV > glottalized + tone).

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

sagart reconstructs *j as a palatal nasal w/ similar developments to chinese

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Yeah but Sagart thinks there was such a thing as "Sino-Austronesian" and PA already has a palatal nasal, so

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

sagart thinks *ñ was a secondary development arising from palatalization of *n *N (which merged in kanakanavu and PMP) in the environment _iV. *ñ in other Formosan languages sometimes behaves as *n and sometimes as *N, which makes sense if they were in fact *n and *N

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Does anyone know what kinds of consonant clusters aside from sC clusters would merit a prosthesis (word-initial epenthesis) of /i/? Voiced-stop+liquid perhaps?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

anything beginning with /r/ or other rhotics

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

With the case of /r/ it doesn't even have to be a cluster to trigger prosthesis - this happened in some Turkic and Balkan Romance languages, as exhibited in the names of the Aromanian and Urum languages.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Porphyrogenitos wrote:With the case of /r/ it doesn't even have to be a cluster to trigger prosthesis - this happened in some Turkic and Balkan Romance languages, as exhibited in the names of the Aromanian and Urum languages.
I don't want/like onset voiced-stop+liquid clusters but I don't want epenthesis to break them up.

Perhaps there was epenthesis and then metathesis occurs to make it look like prosthesis?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

I can't remember exactly where I was going with this (possibly some sort of "initial mutation" scenario after reading something on Facebook), but does > [β ð ɣ] adjacent to [r] (and possibly [l] and maybe [z]) seem plausible, with remaining as such in all other positions?

I might be remembering something incorrectly, but didn't a similar change on the history of Welsh?

Either way, it seems to make sense to me, but I don't want to do anything with it until I've gotten a second opinion.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Daedolon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daedolon »

Could this happen?
k > q
pʰa > pʰa̤ >fa̤
tʰa > tʰa̤ >θa̤
kʰa > kʰa̤ >ka̤

or
ʔa > aˀ or a̰

k1234567890y
Lebom
Lebom

Post by k1234567890y »

I have the following diphthongs:
falling: /ai ei oi ui au eu iu/
rising: /ia ie wa we/

(corresponding monophthongs: /a e i o u/

is the combination of the following sound changes plausible?

ai > e:
ei > i:
oi ui > wi
au > o:
eu > u:
iu > i:
Vr > V: / !_V
Cia > Cɛ
Cie > Ci
Cua > Cɔ
Cuo > Cu
e > ɛ
o > ɔ
See here for a short introduction of some of my conlangs: http://cals.conlang.org/people/472

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

Daedolon wrote:Could this happen?
k > q
pʰa > pʰa̤ >fa̤
tʰa > tʰa̤ >θa̤
kʰa > kʰa̤ >ka̤

or
ʔa > aˀ or a̰
I don't expect /k/ :> /q/ to be unconditional, but I can wrap my head around it when adjacent to back vowels. The rest are plausible to me.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

StrangerCoug wrote:
k > q
pʰa > pʰa̤ >fa̤
tʰa > tʰa̤ >θa̤
kʰa > kʰa̤ >ka̤

or
ʔa > aˀ or a̰
I don't expect /k/ :> /q/ to be unconditional, but I can wrap my head around it when adjacent to back vowels. The rest are plausible to me.
Could be plausible if either /q/ is [k̠] (i.e., if /q/ is actually post-velar/pre-uvular) or something else takes the place of /k/ (cf. k > ʔ, t > k in various Polynesian languages).
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

StrangerCoug wrote:
k > q
pʰa > pʰa̤ >fa̤
tʰa > tʰa̤ >θa̤
kʰa > kʰa̤ >ka̤

or
ʔa > aˀ or a̰
I believe I've actually seen k>q as a change in few Austronesian languages, though it'd definitely odd.
And thinking hard about it, I'm not actually sure I've seen aspiration cause breathy vowels. Voiced/breathy consonants can cause breathy vowels, Vh can cause breathy vowels, and breathy vowels can cause aspirated consonants, but I'm not sure I've actually seen aspiration > breathy vowels.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Zaarin wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:
k > q
pʰa > pʰa̤ >fa̤
tʰa > tʰa̤ >θa̤
kʰa > kʰa̤ >ka̤

or
ʔa > aˀ or a̰
Could be plausible if either /q/ is [k̠] (i.e., if /q/ is actually post-velar/pre-uvular) or something else takes the place of /k/ (cf. k > ʔ, t > k in various Polynesian languages).
Maybe with the contrast /k : kʰ/ being realized as [kˤ ː kʰ] prior to that change?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Pole, the wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:
k > q
pʰa > pʰa̤ >fa̤
tʰa > tʰa̤ >θa̤
kʰa > kʰa̤ >ka̤

or
ʔa > aˀ or a̰
Maybe with the contrast /k : kʰ/ being realized as [kˤ ː kʰ] prior to that change?
Possibly. Also worth noting that there are several languages in the Pacific Northwest that lack plain /k/ despite having a significant number of velar consonants. Cf. Tlingit /kʰ kʷ kʰʷ kʼ kʼʷ x xʷ xʼ xʼʷ/.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

Chemakum has a similar velar inventory, but minus even /kʼ/ and /kʰ/. And it doesn't have the other aspirated stops either.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

I dunno where else to ask this, but... is there such thing as a language having too many unconditional sound changes? Especially, if there are more of such than conditioned ones?