Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by vokzhen »

English prince/prints, fence/fents, ham(p)ster, dream(p)t, streng(k)th where nasal+voiceless clusters have a stop homorganic to the nasal inserted. I wouldn't expect backing of the nasal unless *all* coda /n/ collapse to velar, though, otherwise place assimilation is much more likely for the coronals.

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

Retroflexes are often velarized, so I could imagine *nʂ > ŋʂ (> ŋkʂ) happening as well. Sanskrit has a sort of similar change: *tʂ, *cʂ > kʂ.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

Daedolon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daedolon »

Thanks, Tropylium

Is this possible ?

m n > b d /_ on the stressed syllable

or

b d > m n /Ṽ_ on the syllable strictly after the stressed syllable

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

some dialects of korean have m n > b d / #_, some PNW langs had unconditional m n > b d
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Daedolon wrote:b d > m n /Ṽ_ on the syllable strictly after the stressed syllable
This seems reasonably. Tuscarora had t > n /_Ṽ, which is similar.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

I've read that ejectives can turn into voiced consonants. I've also read that ejective fricatives are not formed by the same technique as ejective stops, and that they are both less common and less stable.

I have a parent language that has a stop series T T' D, and a fricative series S S'. Two daughters merged the ejective fricatives with the plain ones; one followed Arabic and Aramaic in making ejectives pharyngealized instead; one kept the system intact. But I have one more daughter language that I want to do something different with--namely, voicing the fricatives. Can I have S' > Z without T' > D?

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

I'd sort of expect instead a chainshift S S' > Z S actually, but anything involving ejective fricatives sounds very difficult to find actual precedents for.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Tropylium wrote:I'd sort of expect instead a chainshift S S' > Z S actually, but anything involving ejective fricatives sounds very difficult to find actual precedents for.
Yeah, they're definitely an oddity. Thanks.

Das Baron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Das Baron »

In a language which undergoes liquid metathesis, like what the Slavic languages went through, what might happen with a word like *norto or *nolto? Is it realistic that they fully metathesize to *nroto/*nloto (with a subsequent change to eliminate the initial cluster), or would it be more likely that they become *noroto/*noloto, preventing the cluster completely?
AKA Benjaburns

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

PSl. *norvъ 'custom' > OCS nrav (loaned into Russian as nrav, coexisting with native norov), Bulgarian and Slovene nrav, Macedonian and Serbo-Croatian narav, Polish narów, and Czech and Slovak mrav with dissimilation from earlier nrav.

So you can either block reduction of the original vowel after pleophony (as in Macedonian, Polish, and Serbo-Croatian), allow reduction (as in Bulgarian, Slovene, and OCS), allow reduction and dissimilate the cluster (as in Czech and Slovak), or allow reduction with epenthesis to ndl- ndr- (as is apparently optional in Russian).

There's nothing wrong with initial nr- nl- clusters -- see Dorig... never mind, Dorig seems to prohibit nr- nl-. See Tocharian B nrai 'hell'. (I can't find any TB roots with initial nl-, but I can't find any PSl. roots with nVlC- either.)

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Nortaneous wrote:but I can't find any PSl. roots with nVlC- either.)
Me neither, and Derksen also doesn't have any.

Das Baron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Das Baron »

Nortaneous wrote:PSl. *norvъ 'custom' > OCS nrav (loaned into Russian as nrav, coexisting with native norov), Bulgarian and Slovene nrav, Macedonian and Serbo-Croatian narav, Polish narów, and Czech and Slovak mrav with dissimilation from earlier nrav.

So you can either block reduction of the original vowel after pleophony (as in Macedonian, Polish, and Serbo-Croatian), allow reduction (as in Bulgarian, Slovene, and OCS), allow reduction and dissimilate the cluster (as in Czech and Slovak), or allow reduction with epenthesis to ndl- ndr- (as is apparently optional in Russian).

There's nothing wrong with initial nr- nl- clusters -- see Dorig... never mind, Dorig seems to prohibit nr- nl-. See Tocharian B nrai 'hell'. (I can't find any TB roots with initial nl-, but I can't find any PSl. roots with nVlC- either.)
Much appreciated.
AKA Benjaburns

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

I have what's supposed to be the protolang for a large language family with an inventory of /a aː e eː i iː o oː u uː p b̥ b̬ m t d̥ d̬ n s z̥ z̬ z̃ k ɡ̊ ɡ̌ ŋ/ and a syllable structure of (C)V(C). Coda consonants are permitted only after a short vowel and are limited to /p t s k/ there from a morphophonemic standpoint, but there are no other phonotactic restrictions right now. What are some interesting ways to play with the voiceless/slack/stiff contrast? (And what's the most plausible default voicing for the nasals in this kind of system?)
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

Élerhe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Élerhe »

sangi39 wrote:I can't remember exactly where I was going with this (possibly some sort of "initial mutation" scenario after reading something on Facebook), but does > [β ð ɣ] adjacent to [r] (and possibly [l] and maybe [z]) seem plausible, with remaining as such in all other positions?

I might be remembering something incorrectly, but didn't a similar change on the history of Welsh?

Either way, it seems to make sense to me, but I don't want to do anything with it until I've gotten a second opinion.

Next to [r] I can see that happening (at least an [r] didn't stop it happening to b in Spanish), and I could see a parallel thing happening with l, but I think zed would harden the sound rather than soften it

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Could a language have /ð/without /θ/?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

According to UPSID: (restricting the search to only one #{POA} non-sibilant fricative and picking out the ones where that fricative is voiced and not a fricated tap/trill)

Voiced dental non-sibilant fricative: Aleut, Cubeo, Dahalo, Fijian, Guarani, Koiari, Mari, Mazatec, Mixtec, Moro, Nganasan, Quechua, Tacana.
Voiced dental-alveolar non-sibilant fricative: Highland Chinantec, Huave.
Voiced alveolar non-sibilant fricative: Karen.

Aleut and Cubeo are right, although some dialects of Aleut have /θ/. Dahalo and Guarani do not appear to have /ð/. Koiari, Mari, Mazatec, and Mixtec are multiple languages. I don't care enough to check the rest, but UPSID always has to be taken with several mines of salt.

In Cubeo, /ð/ is a recent and IIRC only marginally contrastive development from *j. Fijian has a series of fricatives/approximants /β ð ɰ/.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Bunun has /ð/. Some Finnish dialects, and a bunch of Sami languages. Depending on your analysis, (American) Spanish.
Nortaneous wrote:In Cubeo, /ð/ is a recent and IIRC only marginally contrastive development from *j.
Specifically, [ð] occurs between non-high vowels, [j] or [dZ] occur elsewhere. The only place it occurs phonemically is ða- "to make."

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

احمکي ارش-ھجن wrote:Could a language have /ð/without /θ/?
Luiseño does.

Zju
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zju »

So after having learned about one of the world's rarest sounds, the bilabial oral egressive click ʘ↑, found in Damin, I began wondering how it could come into being in a natlang. Maybe something along the lines of kpʼ → ʘ↑, pkʼ → ʘ↑ or even uncoditional pʼ → ʘ↑ in a more extreme case. These do seem far fetched, but more probable than any of ʘ, ʘʔ, ʔʘ turning in it IMO.

Also how likely are l̥ → ɬ and ɬ → l̥ really? The two do not sound alike at all.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Zju wrote:Also how likely are l̥ → ɬ and ɬ → l̥ really? The two do not sound alike at all.
Assuming that's a voiceless not a laminal lateral (it's really hard to tell with the forum's font), it happens frequently; the two sounds are interchangeable in many languages.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

what's an egressive click?

bilabial clicks are attested as allophones of labial-velars, so

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Zaarin wrote:
Zju wrote:Also how likely are l̥ → ɬ and ɬ → l̥ really? The two do not sound alike at all.
Assuming that's a voiceless not a laminal lateral (it's really hard to tell with the forum's font), it happens frequently; the two sounds are interchangeable in many languages.
They are voiceless, I usually copy-paste unknown diacritics into my google bar.

If you think they don't sound alike at all, either you're abnormally attuned to the difference or the samples/your own pronunciation don't match the prototypical pronunciation. E.g. Welsh /ɬ/ is entirely un-/l̥/-like for many speakers because they pronounce it [ç].

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Could homoorganic stops be inserted between nasals and rhotics only, as opposed to including laterals and other liquids?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

How reasonable is Vrn > V:n?

I'm messing about with a non-rhotic (or less-rhotic) variety of Tirina and am trying to think of interesting things to do with the vowels; I don't want to just drop the /r/ and be done with it.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.