Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Yeah, I want to have a sound change that didn't make sense. It took something like 5000 or 6000 years, so quite a lot can have happened before it finally became a k’, I guess.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:Yeah, I want to have a sound change that didn't make sense. It took something like 5000 or 6000 years, so quite a lot can have happened before it finally became a k’, I guess.
Well fuck, gimme 5-6000 years and I can turn Chinese into Navajo and go through Arabic along the way...
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:Could anyone explain how /z/ possibly can have become /k’/ in one of my conlangs?
Well, /t/ merged unconditionally with /k/ in Hawaiian in far less than 5000 years, and that's a pretty big shift in place of articulation. Malagasy, another Austronesian language, picked up a Sandhi-type alternation between fricatives and stops in certain positions, including /h/ alternating with /k/. That change presumably happened over the course of less than 2,000 years, and possibly less than 1,000.

So lets say that at an early stage /z/ undergoes debuccalization to /ɦ/. Phonemic distinctions between /ɦ/ and /h/ are pretty rare, as far as I can tell, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that /ɦ/ would wind up being realized as /h/. Subsequent to that the language could have developed an alternation between /h/ and /k/ as in Malagasy.

I'm honestly not sure how ejective consonants enter a language's phonemic inventory, but Yapese (another Austronesian language) gained them somehow. Maybe /k/ as an allophone of the glottal /h/ could become the glottalized consonant /k'/ through dissimilation, making it contrast with a /k/ phoneme occurring in other positions. At that point the alternation might break down over time, causing /h/ to merge to /k'/ in all positions.

Of course, that series of sound changes seems like it would probably result in other fricatives turning into /k'/ as well... I'm not sure why /z/ would be debuccalized if /s/ wasn't. I suppose it's possible that, at least at the time, the language didn't actually have /s/ as a phoneme, which wouldn't necessarily prevent it from gaining one later. Sound changes have no memory, after all, and there are a number of ways that /h/ could have re-entered the language's consonant inventory as well, after it had previously merged to /k'/.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

CatDoom wrote:I'm honestly not sure how ejective consonants enter a language's phonemic inventory, but Yapese (another Austronesian language) gained them somehow.
*CVC syllables with q (which was probably a uvular stop in Proto-Austronesian but turned to a glottal stop in most languages, presumably including Yapese) as the second consonant collapsed to *CC clusters and then to C’:
*mataqu > mat’aaw
*taqi > t’aay

Yapese ejective fricatives are usually analyzed as F + glottal stop sequences.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:Could anyone explain how /z/ possibly can have become /k’/ in one of my conlangs?
The only thing I can imagine is something like z > ʒ (or maybe dz) > dʒ > ɟ > g, and then somehow get from g > k'. Maybe your voiced stops are phonetically implosive, and then shift to ejective? But this whole shift involves some fairly implausible steps so I have my doubts.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

z > r > gʟ > g > ɠ > k’

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

I don't know what we'd do if it were not for Hiw.
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Nesescosac wrote:I don't know what we'd do if it were not for Hiw.
Were't not for Hiw, what would we do?
We'd bash the phonemes with a shoe
So we could make our phonemes do
The sound changes we'd want them to
Through sequences impossibru;
We'd end up with phonetic stew
And tear all of our hair out too
But now we have an out, for—phew!—
Nortaneous has heard of Hiw.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

8Deer wrote:
The only thing I can imagine is something like z > ʒ (or maybe dz) > dʒ > ɟ > g, and then somehow get from g > k'. Maybe your voiced stops are phonetically implosive, and then shift to ejective? But this whole shift involves some fairly implausible steps so I have my doubts.
*dw > erk

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

z → ð ~ r → ɣ → ɡ → kʼ

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Thank you for your answers! As all of them go through *g it seems I have to devoice the voiced plosives of the proto-language, and aspirate the old voiceless plosives. And while I was working on it anyway, I've also added some new sound changes. It becomes more and more difficult to believe that it in fact is derived from an IE-ish proto-language! :P

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

z > ts > t' > k'
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

A route designed to get as little as possible in the way of anything else:

z → ɮ → d͡ɮ → dl → dɫ → dɣ → ʔɣ → ʔx → xʼ → kʼ
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

I'm slowly working on diachronics for my Littoran family and I've run into some problems., so is a ʃ ʒ → θ ð shift plausible?

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Clıck wrote:I'm slowly working on diachronics for my Littoran family and I've run into some problems., so is a ʃ ʒ → θ ð shift plausible?
I suppose if you went through some kind of apical /s z/ vs. laminal /s z/ stage in between then you could end up with /θ ð/ without to many problems (didn't Spanish /θ/ come from laminal or apical /s/? I forget which)
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

sangi39 wrote:
Clıck wrote:I'm slowly working on diachronics for my Littoran family and I've run into some problems., so is a ʃ ʒ → θ ð shift plausible?
I suppose if you went through some kind of apical /s z/ vs. laminal /s z/ stage in between then you could end up with /θ ð/ without to many problems (didn't Spanish /θ/ come from laminal or apical /s/? I forget which)
Spanish /θ/ is from laminal /s/, I think, but I am not sure.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

WeepingElf wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
Wikipedia would seem to agree with you. In that case you could have something like:

ʃ ʒ > s̪ z̪ > θ ð

While /s̺ z̺/ remain throughout the period.
Just one time.

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

sangi39 wrote:
WeepingElf wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
Wikipedia would seem to agree with you. In that case you could have something like:

ʃ ʒ > s̪ z̪ > θ ð

While /s̺ z̺/ remain throughout the period.
Thanks! :)

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

zyxw59 wrote:what can you do with implosives? some ideas i've had are:
/ɓ ɗ ɠ/ → /mb nd ŋɡ/
/ɓ ɗ ɠ/ → /b d ɡ/
are these plausible?
Proto-Tai preglottalised stops /ʔb ʔd/ seem to go (merge) straight to /m n/ without a prenasalised stage. /ʔd/ can also become /l/; Shan has /ʔb ʔd/ > /m l/. Proto-Tai lacks /ʔɡ/. /ʔb/ > /w/ is also known from Shan (details unknown to me- there’s a lot of variation across Shan).

Preglottalised stops (and thus, I presume, implosives) can remain a reservoir of voiced stops if you choose to devoice your voiced stops.

Basilius
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Basilius »

Richard W wrote:Proto-Tai preglottalised stops /ʔb ʔd/ seem to go (merge) straight to /m n/ without a prenasalised stage. /ʔd/ can also become /l/; Shan has /ʔb ʔd/ > /m l/. Proto-Tai lacks /ʔɡ/. /ʔb/ > /w/ is also known from Shan (details unknown to me- there’s a lot of variation across Shan).
However, the real question is: why is that series reconstructed as preglottalized rather than prenasalized or something else (e. g. nasal with some non-default phonation)?
Basilius

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

Basilius wrote:
Richard W wrote:Proto-Tai preglottalised stops /ʔb ʔd/ seem to go (merge) straight to /m n/ without a prenasalised stage. /ʔd/ can also become /l/; Shan has /ʔb ʔd/ > /m l/. Proto-Tai lacks /ʔɡ/. /ʔb/ > /w/ is also known from Shan (details unknown to me- there’s a lot of variation across Shan).
However, the real question is: why is that series reconstructed as preglottalized rather than prenasalized or something else (e. g. nasal with some non-default phonation)?
The reasons I find it persuasive are:
  • *ʔb and *ʔd pattern with *ʔ (> /ʔ/) and *ʔj (> /j/ or /ʔj/) when it comes to their effect on how the tones split.
  • [ʔb] and [ʔd] remain in a few dialects, e.g. Wuminɡ in Northern Zhuang. (Thai orthography showed the glottal stop in its reflex of *ʔj, though now only in four words.)
  • Sui /hm/ and /ʔm/ correspond to Proto-Tai *m̥.
  • Proto-Tai *ʔj and *ɲ either retain their contrast (e.g. Lao) or both merge with *j (e.g. Thai), arguing against pre-nasalisation.

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Are the following sound changes plausible, realistic, etc.

*p *t *tʃ *k *kʷ > /pʰ tʰ tʃʰ kʰ kʷʰ/ except after /N/
*mp *nt *ntʃ *ŋk *ŋkʷ > /mb nd ndʒ ŋg ŋgʷ/
*b *d *dʒ *g *gʷ > /p t tʃ k kʲ kʷ/ except after /N/
*mb *nd *ndʒ *ŋg *ŋgʷ > /b d dʒ g gʷ/

preceding /r l/ prevent the voicing or aspiration of plosives, e.g. *rp *lt *rg > /rp lt rg/
Just one time.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

mb > b > p > ph chain shift, sure, followed by mp > mb voice assimilation to fill the gap

dunno about aspiration blocking but stranger things have happened

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Nortaneous wrote:mb > b > p > ph chain shift, sure, followed by mp > mb voice assimilation to fill the gap
I didn't even notice the chain shift until you pointed it out. I guess the formatting kind of made me miss it :)
Nortaneous wrote: dunno about aspiration blocking but stranger things have happened
Hopefully someone might know a bit more, but I'm keeping it for the moment :)
Just one time.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

yeah i'd say keep it, call it spreading of some sort of lenis feature. voiced stops not devoicing after voiced consonants is completely fine, and given that plosives didn't aspirate after s in germanic, something vaguely similar should work.