Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Zaarin »

CatDoom wrote:Does #tl > #kl seem reasonable?
Definitely. /(t)ɬ/ regularly gets borrowed into English as /kl/, viz. Klamath (from ɬamaɬ) or Tlingit /kliŋkɪt/ or (in retcon) Klingon (from tlhIngan).
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

RafaoliaKalanganana
Niš
Niš

Post by RafaoliaKalanganana »

Das Baron wrote:In the history of English there was a change whereby [ð] <> [d] in the vicinity of <r>. Thus, fader > father, but murther > murder. In effect, <th> and <d> switched places with each other in the same environment. I was wondering how this was possible and what the intermediary steps were, if any.
Sort of stupid, but maybe dental /ð/ harmonized with /r/ to shift into a more alveolar position, i.e. /d/?
Last edited by RafaoliaKalanganana on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RafaoliaKalanganana
Niš
Niš

Also, could anyone tell me whence came the Old Prussian nominative ending *-an or *-n? Old Prussian assaran (meaning lake) corresponds to Lithuanian ežeras (with a circumflex accent on the first syllable,) Polish jezioro, and Russian ozero. The word appears to have originated from Proto-Balto-Slavic *ezera-, but I think it is only in the accusative that there is an ending *-n.

Was it a simple shift of s > n? Analogy?

spanick
Lebom
Lebom

Post by spanick »

Das Baron wrote:In the history of English there was a change whereby [ð] <> [d] in the vicinity of <r>. Thus, fader > father, but murther > murder. In effect, <th> and <d> switched places with each other in the same environment. I was wondering how this was possible and what the intermediary steps were, if any.
I seem to recall reading that the change from ME fader to father was influenced by analogy to brother and mother. Similarly, murder may have been influenced by Anglo-Norman murdre which ultimately comes from the same root. Another word that fits this is burden which was byrþen in OE, but it's worth noting that byrden was also a variant even in OE. Another counter example would be worth, which never fortified.

Also, I would not say that fader > father and murther > murder are the same environment...one is _Vr and the other is r_...the latter is much more "in the vicinity" of r than the former.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

RafaoliaKalanganana wrote:Also, could anyone tell me whence came the Old Prussian nominative ending *-an or *-n? Old Prussian assaran (meaning lake) corresponds to Lithuanian ežeras (with a circumflex accent on the first syllable,) Polish jezioro, and Russian ozero. The word appears to have originated from Proto-Balto-Slavic *ezera-, but I think it is only in the accusative that there is an ending *-n.

I thought at least some Slavic neutrers ending in -o, come from PIE nouns in *-om (which could easily lead into Prussian *-an)?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Zju
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zju »

Soap wrote:Where do the voiced clusters in the Greek words hebdomad and ogdoad come from? Im not really expecting anyone to have the answer, since if it was known it'd probably be in the etymology on Wiktionary. Im just idly wondering. If I had to make a guess at it myself, I'd say its probably borrowing from a dialect which for some reason coined these two words and then gave them to the other dialects. Also seems it may have happened in smaragdos "emerald" although no older form seems to be attested since it's a loanword.
Pole, the wrote:Maybe it's connected to Slavic *sedmŭ ← PIE *septmós?
I think that's likely the case. Recall that the PIE word for seven is likely borrowed from a semitic language close to Ancient Egyptian, or even Proto-Semitic or Proto-Akkadian. The Russian article on PIE numerals gives that source form as *šab'(at) or *sabátum respectively. PIE for seven was *septm̥, but for all what we know that could just have been the most common form; a few PIE dialects could have borrowed it with voice assimilation in the other direction, as *sebdm̥ (or more likely *sebʰdʰm̥, due to the root constraint). Or it could have been *septm̥ for cardinal and *sebʰdʰm̥- for ordinal and different languages leveling the voicing in different ways.

Is ʔ → h or h → ʔ attested outside IE? Without onset only positions, that is.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Zju wrote:Is ʔ → h or h → ʔ attested outside IE? Without onset only positions, that is.
Ojibwe has h → ʔ from Proto-Algonquian (except in a few dialects).
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Zju wrote:a semitic language close to Ancient Egyptian
I was under the impression that most Semiticists agreed that, within Boreoafroasiatic, Berber and Semitic are more closely related than either is to Egyptian.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Zaarin wrote:
I was under the impression that most Semiticists agreed that, within Boreoafroasiatic, Berber and Semitic are more closely related than either is to Egyptian.
AFAIK, the opinions differ, though many Afrasianists place Berber, Egyptian and Semitic together in a northern group; and it seems weird to me that Berber and Semitic should be more closely related to each other than to Egyptian, which geographically sits right in the middle between Berber and Semitic.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

WeepingElf wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
AFAIK, the opinions differ, though many Afrasianists place Berber, Egyptian and Semitic together in a northern group; and it seems weird to me that Berber and Semitic should be more closely related to each other than to Egyptian, which geographically sits right in the middle between Berber and Semitic.
That was my thought as well, and I think Egyptologists tend to posit a Berber-Egyptian grouping within Boroafroasiatic. Perhaps the safest conclusion given this difference of opinion is that they are equidistant...

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Pole, the wrote:
RafaoliaKalanganana wrote:Also, could anyone tell me whence came the Old Prussian nominative ending *-an or *-n? Old Prussian assaran (meaning lake) corresponds to Lithuanian ežeras (with a circumflex accent on the first syllable,) Polish jezioro, and Russian ozero. The word appears to have originated from Proto-Balto-Slavic *ezera-, but I think it is only in the accusative that there is an ending *-n.

I thought at least some Slavic neutrers ending in -o, come from PIE nouns in *-om (which could easily lead into Prussian *-an)?
Yes, Prussian is supposed to have kept the neuter gender, while Eastern Baltic (=Lithuanian and Latvian) turned all neuters into male nouns. So the problem is not the ending -(a)n in Prussian, but whether -o in Slavic is a regular outcome of PIE *-om.

Zju
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zju »

hwhatting wrote:
Pole, the wrote:

Yes, Prussian is supposed to have kept the neuter gender, while Eastern Baltic (=Lithuanian and Latvian) turned all neuters into male nouns. So the problem is not the ending -(a)n in Prussian, but whether -o in Slavic is a regular outcome of PIE *-om.
According to Kortlandt, PIE *-om changed early on to *-od in PSl, due to influence from pronominal neuter, which later regularly gives -o. Such influence from pronominal to nominal paradigms is also attested in North Germanic.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Zju wrote:
hwhatting wrote:Yes, Prussian is supposed to have kept the neuter gender, while Eastern Baltic (=Lithuanian and Latvian) turned all neuters into male nouns. So the problem is not the ending -(a)n in Prussian, but whether -o in Slavic is a regular outcome of PIE *-om.
According to Kortlandt, PIE *-om changed early on to *-od in PSl, due to influence from pronominal neuter, which later regularly gives -o. Such influence from pronominal to nominal paradigms is also attested in North Germanic.
Yes, this is one of the theories. But there are other accounts. There are 4 options for what happened to PIE final *-os and *-om in Slavic:
1) Both become -o. In that case, the Nom. & Acc. Sg. of the o-stems in -ъ and the 1st sg. in -ъ in the past tense need to be explained.
2) Both become . In that case the neuters in -o need to be explained, as well as the -o in the NA Sg. of the neuter s-stems (from PIE *-os).
3) *-os becomes , *-om becomes -o. In that case, the Acc. Sg. of the o-stems is anaological to the Nom. Sg, but 1st sg. in -ъ in the past tense still needs to be explained, and the -o in the NA Sg. of the neuter s-stems needs to be explained as somehow influenced by the o-stem neuters / neuter pronouns.
4) *-om becomes , *-os becomes -o. In that case the neuters in -o need to be explained; the Nom. Sg. of the o-stems would be analogical to the Acc. Sg. There are some indications for an older Nom. Sg. in -o (the "honorific" forms of names in -o like Mikhailo, patronymicals like Milo-š-).
I've seen all four being posited in the literature; the classical handbooks I know mostly have 2). I personally go with 4). In both cases, the explanation you quote from Kortlandt (he didn't come up with it, it's much older) is usually given; plus it is assumed that some PIE neuter o-stems became males, depending on the accent class. I also have seen the ending Slavic -o being compared to neuters in -a that are supposed to exist in Anatolian.

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

Click wrote:{[w] [j]} → [h] / C_
No justification in general, but historically Latin to Spanish has gone half-way along tj > th. Affrication of /tw/ is known from Greek.
Click wrote:Vj Vw → jV wV
It's awfully like Gandhari metathesis Vr > rV, so I think it might happen.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Richard W wrote:
No justification in general, but historically Latin to Spanish has gone half-way along tj > th. Affrication of /tw/ is known from Greek.
I'll go one further, that looks plausible to me just on its face. I'm pretty sure I've at least seen *j → h before.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Richard W wrote:
Reminds me of {Cj} → {Cːj} → {Cː} in Germanic.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

Pogostick Man wrote:
Richard W wrote:
I'll go one further, that looks plausible to me just on its face. I'm pretty sure I've at least seen *j → h before.
*j → h is Greek. However, it's the conditioning that is unusual, and indeed, in the environment C_, PIE *j did not develop into Greek aspiration.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Richard W wrote:
Pogostick Man wrote:
Richard W wrote:
*j → h is Greek. However, it's the conditioning that is unusual, and indeed, in the environment C_, PIE *j did not develop into Greek aspiration.
Actually, It's PIE *Hy that becomes Greek aspiration, and more probably developed via *ç, not *j

Zju
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zju »

hwhatting wrote:
Zju wrote:
hwhatting wrote:Yes, Prussian is supposed to have kept the neuter gender, while Eastern Baltic (=Lithuanian and Latvian) turned all neuters into male nouns. So the problem is not the ending -(a)n in Prussian, but whether -o in Slavic is a regular outcome of PIE *-om.
Yes, this is one of the theories. But there are other accounts. There are 4 options for what happened to PIE final *-os and *-om in Slavic:
1) Both become -o. In that case, the Nom. & Acc. Sg. of the o-stems in -ъ and the 1st sg. in -ъ in the past tense need to be explained.
2) Both become . In that case the neuters in -o need to be explained, as well as the -o in the NA Sg. of the neuter s-stems (from PIE *-os).
3) *-os becomes , *-om becomes -o. In that case, the Acc. Sg. of the o-stems is anaological to the Nom. Sg, but 1st sg. in -ъ in the past tense still needs to be explained, and the -o in the NA Sg. of the neuter s-stems needs to be explained as somehow influenced by the o-stem neuters / neuter pronouns.
4) *-om becomes , *-os becomes -o. In that case the neuters in -o need to be explained; the Nom. Sg. of the o-stems would be analogical to the Acc. Sg. There are some indications for an older Nom. Sg. in -o (the "honorific" forms of names in -o like Mikhailo, patronymicals like Milo-š-).
I've seen all four being posited in the literature; the classical handbooks I know mostly have 2). I personally go with 4). In both cases, the explanation you quote from Kortlandt (he didn't come up with it, it's much older) is usually given; plus it is assumed that some PIE neuter o-stems became males, depending on the accent class. I also have seen the ending Slavic -o being compared to neuters in -a that are supposed to exist in Anatolian.
Well, I prefer the second option, it has the least to explain:
-о in neut NA.SG comes form *-od, as already stated; as for -o of s-stems NA.SG, s-stems were a small and unproductive class in PSl. and being neuters, they were influenced by -o stem neuters. Such switch from stem based to gender based declension only became more prominent in Slavic languages as time went on.
I doubt quite a lot Acc. Sg. would influence Nom. Sg. - those two cases are almost never conflated in Slavic languages (when they are, it's only in the plural, and since when? The middle ages IIRC), and even if they were, it would rather be in the opposite direction, as Nom. is more frequent.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Affrication of /tw/ is also known from German, e.g. dwarf~Zwerg, (Dutch) dwingen~zwingen; however, thwart~quer, (Polish) twaróg~Quark.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Élerhe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Élerhe »

how possible/common is VnV>VrV ?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Élerhe wrote:how possible/common is VnV>VrV ?
Any alternation of n~l~r is common as dirt in any position.

RafaoliaKalanganana
Niš
Niš

What are some ways in which vowel retroflexion or r-colored vowels can develop?
Is a sound change where the central component of a diphthong shifts to an ɻ-like sound plausible? Example: aɪ̩ > æə̯ >æɻ~ɛɻ (which would then merge with ɔɻ~ɔ˞.)

Continuing in that vein, what are some examples of diphthongs turning into vowel+consonant sequences (or where one of its components changed into a consonant)? I know Greek had something like ew, aw > ev av, and I vaguely remember reading about some sound change in a Turkic language where ø > og, but I'm not so sure if my memory is accurate.

EDIT: comma placement (y)

Zju
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zju »

Are retroflex vowels as distinct from rhotacised vowels a thing? As in, the tongue is pulled back, but not curled up.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

hwhatting wrote:
Zju wrote:
5) *-os and *-om both suffered raising in Proto-Balto-Slavic under the stress