Post your conlang's phonology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Post your conlang's phonology

Post by alynnidalar »

sirdanilot wrote:
alynnidalar wrote:Azen:

/p b t d k g ʔ/ <p b t d k g '>
/m n/ <m n>
/s z ʃ ʒ x h/ <s z sh zh x h>
/ɾ l w j/ <r l w y>
/t͡s d͡z/ <ts dz>

/i e æ a u/ <i e a a u>
/i: e: æ: a: u:/ <i e a a u> probably

Don't ask about allophony, I have no idea yet (and truth be told I really don't understand it--I mean I get the general concept, but I don't know what would make for reasonable allophones or anything). Probably /o/ is an allophone of /u/, though.

I should probably come up with some way to distinguish /æ/ and /a/, but I actually kind of like the ambiguity.

Azen isn't my "main" language, but I've been working on it recently.
This is a phoneme inventory (the collection of phonemes in your language), and not a phonology. But okay.
It is very standard, but that is a good thing; it means taht this is something you could certainly encounter in the world.
What is a bit odd is your vowel inventory; you have four vowels in the front of the vowel space and only one in the back of the vowel space (u). It would be more logical to replace a with ɑ (as how english people pronounce 'grass') or ɒ, the rounded variety thereof (like Bush pronounces 'God'). You could also add a central vowel, such as ɨ, or you could add o, in favour of one of the front vowels (such as e).

Allophony is about the realization of your phonemes, in certain environments. Your example of /u/ being sometimes realized as [o] (note the usage of brackets) is very good; if people have no back vowels other than /u/, then they will often pronounce it sloppily as something like /o/ instead. But something common is, for example, that vowels get coloured before /r/; for example, /e:r/ could become /ɪːr/. You could also have vowels become centralized when short for example, or nasalized before /n/, etc. etc. etc. Those are all examples of allophony.
Allophony can also happen in consonants, such as p->f intervocalically. Allophony can produce sounds that are already phonemes in your language, but also sounds that aren't otherwise present in your phoneme inventory (such as [f]).

Other things that are missing are phonotactics; what constitutes a valid syllable? Can you say 'tsnaxts' or only 'takinupo'?
And another thing is prosody and stress, and tone etc.
Thank you for the feedback!

The lack of /o/ is, I recognize, very weird. A big part of coming up with the phoneme inventory was that I had a collection of a few words and names and trying to come up with a reasonable phonology based on them. As I broke them down, I realized that I had never used /o/, and thought it would be interesting and, well, different to deliberately avoid it. I suppose it'd be less strictly "Azen only has ever" and more "Azen has just one back vowel, which can vary a lot", though? At any rate, aside from adding /o/, adding a central vowel (or replacing one of the front vowels with a central vowel) does seem like the best way to make it, well, less weird. (although I suppose simply adding /ɑ/ or /ɒ/ would make it a whole lot easier to explain how /o/ disappeared in the first place, seeing as Old Azen has /o/, and I assume it's less weird for /o/ to shift lower than to merge into /u/... hmm)

(out of curiosity--are there other languages that don't have /o/? From my limited experience of looking at various natlang phonologies, it seems they're much more likely to have only /o/ and no /u/, not the other way around, but I don't know if that's some kind of universal or just happenstance.)

In regards to phonotactics, I'm tentatively working with ((C)(A))V(C), where A is any approximant (aside from /h/, perhaps). So not particularly crazy. Syllable stress is probably variable. Looking at the handful of words I have so far, it appears I typically have stress on the first syllable for two-syllable words, but I don't have enough 3+ syllable words yet to notice if I was subconsciously following any pattern there.

Also, I completely forgot to note diphthongs! I did have a question on them, if anybody was interested in commenting... thus far, I have /ua/, /ia/, and /ie/. Is it particularly unnatural to only have opening diphthongs, or should I mix it up some? Not that I would mind if Azen has some unique features (such as the lack of /o/!), but I am trying to create something that could reasonably exist in the real world.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

You've probably been looking at too many Amerindian languages. /a e i u/ is very much a thing.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

^ Yes but not with ae which crowds up the front of the vowel space even more.

I think the solution to shift one of your vowels to ɑ or ɒ is sufficient, you don't need o then. o can be a product of some kind of allophony in this case (you could have no u-ɒ distinction in short vowels, and only have the distinction in long vowels, with the short vowel often being something like [o] for example).

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

Phonotactics
Syllable Structure
Syllable structure is maximally (C)(C)(G)V(C) tho typical syllables tend toward CV or CGV with C being any consonant, G any glide (or /ɬ ɬʰ/) or liquid and V any vowel.

Root Structure
Roots are predominately monosyllabic and biliteral tho there are bi- and tri-syllabic roots with tri- and quadriliteral structures found as well.

Allowed Clusters
Initial
• Any consonant
• Any consonant minus Liquids or Glides (or /tɬ tɬʰ/) followed by a Liquid or Glide, or /ɬ ɬʰ/
• Any of the above minus Fricatives if preceded by /s sʰ/
• Any nasal followed by its homorganic plosive, either fortis or lenis
• /n/ followed by /s/ or /n s sʰ/ followed by /t͡ɬ t͡ɬʰ/
Medial
• Any cluster allowed initially
• Any liquid or glide (or /ɬ ɬʰ/) followed by a consonant and either a vowel or another liquid or glide (or /ɬ ɬʰ/)
Final
• Any single consonant
Hiatus
Hiatus is not allowed and vowels which would occur in such a situation do one of two things, they assimilate and form a diphthong or the second element drops, this occurs even over morpheme boundaries and with regards to the second over lexical boundaries as well.

Allophony
• Lenis plosives become unreleased syllable finally and fortis plosives become lenis.
• Progressive assimilation occurs when a lenis or fortis consonant begins a cluster assimilating to either depending on whichever begins the cluster (e.g. /skʰā/ becomes [skā] and /sʰkā/ becomes [sʰkʰā]).
• /k kʰ ŋ/ become [c cʰ ɲ] when preceding any of /ɹʲ j i ɪ/.
• Likewise /ɹʲ/ drops before /j/ but becomes /j/ when before /i ɪ/.
• /ɹʲ/ vocalises to [ɚ̯] postvocalically at the end of a word or at the end of a syllable before another consonant when following a high vowel, otherwise it is dropped.
• Likewise /l/ becomes [w̯] when following any vowel (except intervocalically) other than /u o/ which it merges with.
• /l/ becomes [ʟ] when following /k kʰ ŋ/.
• /ɰ j/ become [ɡ ɟ] intervocallically, occurring across morpheme and lexeme boundaries.
• If two syllables with the same tone are next to each other the second one will shift (rising to falling, middle to checked, checked to falling, falling to middle).
• A vowel followed by /ʔ/ has automatic checked tone (e.g. /ǎ ʔê/ becomes [aʔ ʔê]).
• Checked tone becomes middle tone before nasals.
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

The orthography for the laterals is a bit crazy, but who cares about orthography anyway (some people use <x> for /t'/ in cushitic languages so I'm used to anything).

The aspirated s is quite weird and especially ina cluster it would be hard to pronounce, is it attested anywhere in the real world? I think distinguishing the aspirated lateral fricative and the normal one could be a bit tricky as well, but not impossible. Isn't an ejective realisation a good alternative here ? (it is very thinkable that all the aspiration/fortis things came from ejectives).
In hindsight, actually when looking at the assimilation rules, sh_ seems more and more likely to me. Good !

Where does the velar glide come from if you don't have any other form of velarization or something? Or am I confusing different IPA symbols here...

The r is a nice touch and I like the phonology overall.

What exactly do you mean by checked tone? Like mandarin tone 3? Elaborate on phonation types?

osswix
Niš
Niš

Post by osswix »

Hey hello,
here's my phonology (what i have yet)
(it's from Ggän)

(all in ipa)
<m n ŋ ɴ>
<b t d kʰ g>
<ɸ β s z ɕ ʑ ç h>
<ts tɕ tɕʰ dʑ>
<f fʰ fʲ fᶣ>
<ɣ ɣʰ ɣʷ>
<ʋ ɥ j>
<rɾl>

and here comes vowel-hell
mono
<i ɨ u>
<ɛ ə ɔ>
<a ɑ>
<ĩ ẽ ã ũ õ ɑ̃ >nasalized
<e˞ ə˞ ɑ˞ > rhotacized
di (i am way to lazy to type this over, see linq on top)

phonotactics,

a normal syllable is up to CCCVCC,

/ɴ/ is only possible as last consonant of the word, replacing /n/

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

August 18 proto-lang:

/b t d k g kʷ gʷ/ <b t d c g cu gu>
/m n/ <m n>
/ɸ s/ <f s>
/l r j w/ <l r y w>

/a aː e eː i iː o u uː/ <a ā e ē i ī o u ū>

/ei eu ai au oi ou/ <ei eu ai au oi ou>

Allophony:
ɸ→x/_s,t
s→z/_C[+voice]
C[+velar]→x/_s#
d#→t/_s#

Yes, this should look somewhat familiar, or very familiar actually.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

sirdanilot wrote:The orthography for the laterals is a bit crazy, but who cares about orthography anyway (some people use <x> for /t'/ in cushitic languages so I'm used to anything).

The aspirated s is quite weird and especially ina cluster it would be hard to pronounce, is it attested anywhere in the real world? I think distinguishing the aspirated lateral fricative and the normal one could be a bit tricky as well, but not impossible. Isn't an ejective realisation a good alternative here ? (it is very thinkable that all the aspiration/fortis things came from ejectives).
In hindsight, actually when looking at the assimilation rules, sh_ seems more and more likely to me. Good !

Where does the velar glide come from if you don't have any other form of velarization or something? Or am I confusing different IPA symbols here...

The r is a nice touch and I like the phonology overall.

What exactly do you mean by checked tone? Like mandarin tone 3? Elaborate on phonation types?
Tho I intended this as a proto-lang I guess /ɰ/ could have come from /g/ which still manifests itself intervocallically, likewise /j/ from earlier /ɟ/.

One of the larger influences were the Burmese branch of Sino-Tibetan, mostly Burmese and Sgaw Karen (of which I have a decent grammar, though it's over a century old). That leads me to the "checked" tone, which was lifted straight from Burmese. The other three tones qualities are A) the rising tone goes from low to mid-high, B) the falling is middle to low, the middle is slightly higher than Mandarin middle and as before checked is middle with a glottal release.
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Dumb idea for a conlang phonology: it consists of the phonemes most likely to make the speaker accidentally spit on nearby people and things. I submit the palatal fricative as one of these phonemes, since the impetus for this idea was me spraying a voiceless palatal fricative all over my keyboard. Twice.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Matrix wrote:Dumb idea for a conlang phonology: it consists of the phonemes most likely to make the speaker accidentally spit on nearby people and things. I submit the palatal fricative as one of these phonemes, since the impetus for this idea was me spraying a voiceless palatal fricative all over my keyboard. Twice.
You're clearly doing it wrong, I have no problems like that doing it myself.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Skelly Jelly
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Skelly Jelly »

Matrix wrote:Dumb idea for a conlang phonology: it consists of the phonemes most likely to make the speaker accidentally spit on nearby people and things. I submit the palatal fricative as one of these phonemes, since the impetus for this idea was me spraying a voiceless palatal fricative all over my keyboard. Twice.
I want this to happen. PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

Ronald
Niš
Niš

Post by Ronald »

I guess there's a first time for everything.
I call this suʀit'. Pronouncing it makes my throat hurt.

Code: Select all

Plosive:     pʰ   tʰ   kʰ
Nasal:          m~n~ŋ
Ejective:    p'   t'   k'
Trill:       ʙ          ʀ
Fricative:   f   s~ʃ   x

Vowels: a e i o u
And this is what it sounds like:
More: show
su - water, wet
ʀit' - speech
fen - slime, slimy
ʙu - mold, moldy, food (they eat mushrooms)
pe - house
k'o - grow, rise, pop up, build
ʙi - cut, pull, harvest
ʙuʙi - eat, consume
suko - wash
t'o - producer of
p'i - desire for
ʀa - I, me
suʀit' - wet speech (the name of the language)
toʀit' - producer of speech (the name for the speakers of suʀit')
pefen - mud, glue (because the toʀit' live in mud huts)
koʙun - mushroom

p'i-ʙu-ʀa
desire-food-me
I am hungry.

koʙun pi-ʀa
mushroom desire-me
I want mushrooms.

koʙun pi-k'o ʀa
mushroom desire-grow me
I want to grow mushrooms.

fen koʙun k'o
slime mushroom grow
Slime grows mushrooms.

t'o pe-koʙun k'o-ʀa
producer.of house-mushroom grow-me
I build mushroom houses.

pefen t'o pe-koʙun
mud producer.of house-mushroom
Mud makes mushroom-houses.

koʙun ʙi-ʀa
mushroom cut-me
I harvest mushrooms.

koʙun suko-Ra
mushroom wash-me
I wash mushrooms.

koʙun ʙuʙi-Ra
mushroom eat-me
I eat mushrooms.
  • Antiknot (n.)
    1. An "inverse" knot that can untie an existing knot by merging with it. Non-existent in the known universe.
    2. A knife, sword, scissors, or other rope-cutting device. See also: Gordian knot.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

if it makes your throat hurt you are probably not doing it right
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Jūnzǐ
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Jūnzǐ »

Here's Fymcep's phonology (I already posted it under its own thread, but no one has responded in a few days, so I thought I would repost it here)
Phonological Inventory
Fymcep phonology is traditionally grouped into 104 initials and 162 finals.
Initials
There are 21 consonants in total: 〈R p̃ p f k ǩ t z c q s ŝ ş x h m̃ m g n ṇ ň〉=|ɹ~ɻ k͡pʰ pʰ f~ɸ kʰ x tʰ~ʈʰ t͡s t͡ʂ t͡ɕ s̄~s ʂ~ŝ ɕ~ç ħ~ʜ h~ʔ ŋ͡m m ŋ n~ɳ n̠~ɲ|. These 21 consonants can be combined into a total of 104 initials, including the null initial.
Consonants clusters are always homorganic in either place of articulation – these are, namely: Coarticulated, labial, velar, alveolar/coronal, retroflex/coronal or palatal/coronal, or in manner of articulation – nasal, stop, sibilant or spirant.
Finals
There are a total of 162 possible finals, consisting of at minimum one of 54 rimes and – for full syllables. Full syllables also have one of two medials and/or one of eight codae.
In Fymňàl, medials and rimes are treated separately, with medials being written as internal/infixed diacritics placed on rimes.
Medials- There are two two medials, |j w|, the latter written as 〈j w〉 in the latinization and they are pronounced with relatively high constriction in the throat, as in Zuni.
Rimes- There are 54 rimes, or potential V(C) combinations.
There are six pure vowels (the latter allophone occurs is the reduced version): |i~ɪ u~ʊ ɨ~ə e~e̞ o~o̞ ᴀ~ɐ|=〈I u y e o a〉=〈ى ع و ێ ۆ ا〉. These are the only rimes permitted in minor syllables.
Codae are rather restricted, to only the eight consonantal segments 〈l p k t s h m g n〉, wherein: 〈L〉 is any unpalatalized lateral approximant; 〈t〉 includes both sibilant affricates as allophones, and is not aspirated; 〈s〉 is any sibilant fricative unless preceded by indirectly or followed by directly a coronal consonant; the spirant fricative 〈h〉 is pronounced /h/ by default, but otherwise takes the POA of the closest consonant going backwards if in immediate phonological isolation while taking the POA of any initial in direct contact with it; 〈m〉 and 〈g〉 are the respective peripheral nasals; while 〈n〉 may be realized as any coronal nasal; and 〈p〉 and 〈k〉 are tenius versions of their otherwise corresponding initials.
Tone
Tone is traditionally treated specially, with discontinuous diacritics or affixes to mark tone in Fymňàl are placed directly following the word in the character block, as Fymcep is a word tone language.
Phonotactics
Syllable Structure
(C1)(C1)(S)V(C2); Fymcep restricts the morae a rime may have to three in full syllables, but only to one in minor syllables, which are restricted to the form (C|S)V. Tone occurs on all words and every word has precisely a single tone.
Minor Syllables- In all roots of more than one syllable, the minor syllable precedes the full syllable (rarely, there are more than two syllables in a root; only the last may be a full syllable). No minor syllable may have a complex initial, a coda or have a tone differing from that of the preceding syllable nor may a minor syllable consist of more than two morae; there are thus potential 114 (C|S)V minor syllables.
Morphophonology
Fymcep has a complex morphophonology; while all the rules are completely regular, these rules are many in number, and they are often determined by the grammatical function of the morpheme or its group: For example, monosyllabic morphemes are not only subject to partially different rules from non-monosyllabic – principally sesquisyllabic – morphemes, but furthermore, a given morpheme acting as or as a part of a base differs somewhat in the morphophonological rules that apply to it as opposed to if it were acting as a particle.
Sandhi & Allomorphy
Fymcep's complex system of sandhi is entirely internal in nature. These rules of joining are traditionally broken down into four “forms” and two “areas”: The “forms” are: “Subtractive” (elision), “transformational” (mutation, rephonologization and metathesis), “conjoined” (assimilation and lenition), and “disjoint” (dissimilation and fortition); and the “areas” are: Universal and grammatically dependent – and the rules of the former of these is further categorized into those rules exclusive to full syllables, exclusive to minor syllables and those rules that apply to all syllables generically.
Elision- Vowel elision is mandatory when two vowels come into contact within a phrase, as phrase-internal vowel hiatus is forbidden. The exact for of vowel elision is dependent upon the morphemes in question: If both are monosyllabic, then the first vowel is elided while said vowel's syllable's tone is carried over to the remaining vowel.
Lenition- If the rhotic occurs at the beginning of a phrase, it is realized as /d~ɖ/ alone as a consonant in an initial but if in a complex initial at the beginning of a phrase or directly after a closed syllable final, it voices the following consonant while itself as a segment is dropped: Hence: 〈Rs〉(=|ɹs|) is not /ɹs/ but rather [z].
Universal Sandhi Rules- Here are the universal sandhi rules.
Generic- If the spirant fricative coda 〈h〉 and any initial come into contact, said coda assimilates to the POA of said initial. Likewise, the sibilant fricative coda 〈s〉 assimilates into the position of any coronal consonant it contacts; otherwise, all sibilant fricatives may be used, in free variation.
If a semivowel occurs in between two vowels of full syllables within a phrase, it is strengthened to the appropriate voiced fricative.
Exclusive to Full Syllables- When a monosyllabic root begins with a vowel and is preceded by the coda consonant consonant of another root,
Exclusive to Minor Syllables- If the first minor syllable lacks an onset and is preceded by a coda within a phrase, then said coda consonant is strengthened by taking up two morae, one mora in the final of the preceding full syllable and one mora of the following minor syllable (the consonant concerned is thus geminated).
Grammatically Dependent Sandhi Rules-
Allophony, Free Variation & Complementary Distribution
Stops and affricates are slightly aspirated as initials but plain as codae.
For the purposes of consonant harmonics, the liquid assimilates into the appropriate coronal place of articulation. Furthermore, similarly to Korean (although, unlike in Korean, the liquid is always an approximant), the liquid is rhotic when part of an initial but lateral when part of a final.
Prosody
Stress
Fymcep has a simple and predictable stress system wherein the ultimate syllable of every phrase is stressed. All other syllables are unstressed.
Stress is phonetically realized through increasing loudness, increasing duration and strengthening articulation. Unstressed vowels are reduced.
Isochrony
Fymcep is mora-timed, with a limit of three morae per syllable, with the allocation of morae set as follows: Initials take no morae, while vowels, semivowels and codae take one mora each. Morae are themselves organized into initials, medials and finals, as in Chinese.
Lexical Phonology
Fymcep roots are overwhelmingly either monosyllabic or sesquisyllabic.

Αυτοβοτα
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Αυτοβοτα »

Currently nameless conlang I've been working on:

Consonants:

Lab LabDen  AlvCtr  AlvLat  PalAlv  Pal     Vel Uvu Glot
Nas     m           n                               N
Plos    p           t                               k   q
Affric                      tK      tS
Vl Cont     f       s       K       S                
Vc Cont w~B         D       l       Z       j~J\    G       h\~h
Vibrant             r
Vowels:
Monophthongs:

Front   Central Back
Close   i               u
Mid     (e)             (o)
Open            a
Diphthongs:

Front   Back
Opening ie      uo
Closing ai      au
Allophony:

1.  /w/ > [B] / _u
2.  /j/ > [J\] / _i
3.  /u/ > [o] / q_, _q%
4.  /i/ > [e] / q_, _q%
5.  /a/ > [A] / q_, _q%
6.  /uo/ > [o] / q_, [+labial]_, (a)u[+coronal+sonorant]_
7.  /ie/ > [e] / q_, [+palatal]_, (a)i[+coronal+sonorant]_
8.  [+plosive-voiced] > [+plosive+voiced] / _[+nasal], [+nasal]_
Allophony rules #6 and #7 mean:

*/jie/ > [je]
*/tSie/ > [tSe]
*/wuo/ > [wo]
*/puo/ > [po]
*/kainie/ > [kaine]
*/suruoqa/ > [suroqA]
*/tKiejirie/ > [tKieJ\ire]
*/tirauluoDun/ > [tirauloDun]
*/qiequonZie/ > [qeqonZe]
Consonants have canonical/default voicing. The plosives, affricates, and fricatives (voiceless continuants in table) are voiceless, the rest are voiced. Plosives assimilate voicing in clusters but affricates and fricatives do not.

/r/ is always trilled: at least 2 taps, 3 word initially, 4 or more if you're feeling showy.

Syllable structure is CV(C){CV(C)}. Stress, if any, is on the first syllable. Clusters are not allowed initially nor finally and only 2-clusters are allowed medially. Vowels may not be in hiatus. Words may not start with a vowel but may end with a vowel (this rule only applies to words, not affixes/morphemes).

Voiceless and voiced continuants cannot be in a cluster together.
/r/ cannot be in a cluster.

I'm thinking about a forward assimilation of POA rule for the coronal continuants: {affricate, fricative, sonorant} for {alveolo-central, alveolo-lateral, palato-alveolar}, e.g. /sK/ > [s:], /Sts/ > [StS], /tKtS/ > [tKtK], /Dl/ > [D:].

My inspirations here are Amerind languages, including Inuit for the sonority hierarchy, and then Farsi and Latvian for the vowels. I'm trying to make the uvular not an afterthought but I'm not sure I succeeded. Suggestions are welcome.
-_-_Aftovota_-_-

Shemtov
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Shemtov »

A phonology I'm proud of, mainly because of the allophony

Phonology:
/p t k/ <p t k>
/m n ŋ/<m n ng>
/!~t̪~t/ <c>
/f~h s~ʃ/ <f s>
/ð~nð ɣ~ŋɣ/ <d g>
/l/ <l>

Vowels:
/i u e o a/ <i u e o a>

Phonotactics:
(C)V

Allophony:
<f> is pronounced [h] intervocally.
The voiced fricatives are prenasalized word intially.
/!/ is pronounced as [t̪] by some speakers, others fuse it with /t/. It is only used in loanwords.
/s/ is [ʃ] before front vowels.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

allophonic prenasalization on fricatives strikes me as unlikely. could have free variation between d, D, nd. also why is there a p but no b-like sound?

you might want to look at some languages in the pacific area -- vanuatu, PNG, and so on. there's one that has optional prenasalization on *all* plosives. f~h is like iau, where /f/ is [f~h] #_, [h] V_V, [p] _#. (/f/ is the only consonant that can occur word-finally, but there are only six consonants.)

! is an alveolar click, dunno why it'd become a dental stop. click loss usually turns ! into a velar iirc.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Shemtov
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Shemtov »

birds aren't real wrote:
! is an alveolar click, dunno why it'd become a dental stop. click loss usually turns ! into a velar iirc.
Mixed it up with /|/

Daedolon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daedolon »

Tárrïarah /taːr.rja.rah/

Phonology
/m n/ <m n>
/p b t d k g/ <p b t d k g>
/f v s ʃ h/ <f v s c h>
/r w j l ɨ̯/ <r ü ï l ÿ>

/i ɨ u e o ɛ ɔ a/ <i y u e o è ò a>
/ĩ ɨ̃ ũ ẽ õ ɛ̃ ɔ̃ ã/ < in yn un on èn òn an>
/iː ɨː uː eː oː aː/ <í ý ú é ó á>
/ĩː ɨ̃ː ũː ẽː õː ãː/ <ín ýn ún én ón án>

Phonotactics
(C(G))V(X)
C = any consonant
V = any vowel
G = /w j ɨ̯/
X = /s ʃ r h/

Coda consonants following nasal vowels are not permitted.

Allophony

Non-glottal fricatives are affricates in word-initial position.
Ex: <sarah> /sarah/ [tsarah]

The glottal fricative /h/ in word-initial position is a voiceless version of the vowel it precedes.
Ex: <haro> /haro/ [ḁʔaro]

The voiced stops /b d g/ are fricatives [β ð ɣ] when intervocalic.
Ex: <aba> /aba/ [aβa]

Before /i e j/ the consonants /k g n ʃ t d h l/ are [c ɟ ɲ ɕ tɕ dʑ ç ʎ], other non-glide consonants become palatalized before /i e j/.
Ex: <reski> /reski/ [rʲesci]

If /g/ is between a vowel and /i e/, then it is realized as /j/.
Ex: <hyge> /hɨge/ [ɨ̊ɨje]

Stops are postaspirated when in the onset preceding the first oral vowel in the word.
Ex: <dantudo> /dãtudo/ [dãtʰudo] ; <onbüoro> /õbworo/ [õbʰẘoro]

Stops are preaspirated when following /h/.
Ex: <ahga> /ahga/ [ahʰga]

Glides /w j ɨ̯/ becomes voiceless [ẘ j̊ ɨ̯̊] when following voiceless or aspirated consonants.
Ex: <püero> /pwero/ [pʰẘero]

Vowels become voiceless when between voiceless consonants.
Ex: <topïo> /topjo/ [tʰo̥pj̊o]

Between two vowels a glottal stop [ʔ] is inserted.
Ex: <taára> /taaːra/ [tʰaʔaːra].

zyx3166
Niš
Niš

Post by zyx3166 »

Roguel:
Phonology
/p p' b t t' d c 'c ɟ k k' g/ p p' b t t' d c c' j k k' g
/ts ts' dz/ ts ts' z
/β̞ s ʃ x/ v(u) s x h
/m n ɲ/ m n ny
/l r j/ l r y(i)
/i ɛ a ɔ u/ i e a o u

Phonotactics
(C1)(G)V(C2)
C1=any consonant
V=any vowel
C2=/m n ɲ p t c k ts s ʃ x l r j/

Allophony
1. /dz/ has a free variant /z/, the former being the traditional pronunciation, the latter is more commonly used.
2. Likewise /c c' ɟ/ are pronounced /tʃ tʃ' dʒ/ by younger speakers.
3. Among older speakers, /ʃ/ is pronounced /ç/ when followed or preceded by /c c' ɟ ɲ/; /j/ is pronounced /ʒ/ before a vowel within a morpheme by some speakers.
4. Glides /j w/ are written as 'i' and 'u' resp. and /w/ is an allophone of /β̞/.

xroox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by xroox »

Tynaap ([tɨ'naʊp]) phonology:

-Plosives /t k kʷ ʔ/ <t k q x>
-Fricatives /s h/ <s h>
-Sonorants: /n r/ <n r>
-Vowels: /i ɨ u a/ <i y u a>

Phonotactics:
(s)CV(S)(O)(O)
C: /t k t k kʷ ʔ s h n r/
V: /i ɨ u a/
S: /i ɨ u a n r/
O: /t k t k kʷ ʔ s h/

Diphtongs (bimoraic VS combinations)
The left allomorph is used when stressed, the right one when unstressed.
/aa/ [a: a]
/ai/ [ɛ: e]
/aɨ/ [a: a]
/au/ [ɔ: o]
/an/ [an ən]
/ar/ [aɾ əɾ]
/ɨa/ [ɨ: ɨ]
/ɨi/ [ɨ: ɨ]
/ɨu/ [u: u]
/ɨɨ/ [i: i]
/ɨn/ [ɨn n̩]
/ɨr/ [ɨɾ r̩]
/ua/[wa wə]
/ui/ [u: u]
/uu/ [u: u]
/uɨ/ [u: u]
/un/ [um ʊm]
/ur/ [uɾ ʊɾ]
/ia/ [ja jə]
/iu/ [i: i]
/ii/ [i: i]
/iɨ/ [i: i}
/in/ [iɲ ɪɲ]
/ir/ [iɾ ɪɾ]

Allophony
/t/ [t d t͡s d͡z]
/k/ [k g t͡ʃ d͡ʒ]
/kʷ/ [kʷ gʷ k g p b]
/ʔ/ [ʔ]
/s/ [s ʃ z ʒ]
/h/ [h ç ʍ j w]
/n/ [n ŋ ɲ m n̩ ɲ̩ ŋ̩ m̩]
/r/ [r ɾ r̩]
/a/ [a ə]
/i/ [i ɪ]
/ɨ/ [ɨ ∅]
/u/ [u ʊ]

/t, s/ become [t͡s ʃ] after high vowels /i ɨ u/

/k h n/ becomes [t͡ʃ ç ɲ] after /i/

/h n/ becomes [ʍ m] after /u/

/kʷ/ becomes [p] in coda, [ʊp] following long vowels

Obstruents /t k t k kʷ s h/ become voiced between voiced segments

/ɨ/ elides if followed by /n r/ in the same syllable, those consonants become syllabic and assimilate to preceding consonant

/i u a/ become [ɪ ʊ ə] unstressed

the secuence /kʷɨ/ becomes [ku]

/ɨ/ assimilates before or after a high vowel

/i u/ delete after the other one, the remainig vowel becomes long
Queso: ¿qué es eso? -- Eso es queso

Ngohe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ngohe »

The current phonology of Nizhmel:

Initial consonants:

/pʼ t̪ʼ ʈ͡ʂʼ kʼ/
/pʰ t̪ʰ ʈ͡ʂʰ kʰ/
/p t̪ ʈ͡ʂ k/
/s ʂ/
/z ʐ/
/m n/
/l/
/r/

Vowels:

/i e̞ a o̞ u i̯e̞ i̯o̞ u̯o̞/

Coda consonants:

/p˺ t˺ k˺~ʔ˺/
/s ʃ/
/z ʐ/
/m n~ŋ/

Syllable structure is (C)V(C). Many stems (and a few roots) are bisyllabic. In those cases, eventual coda consonants (at least in most cases) assimilates in POA with the following onset. Vowels are lengthened in open syllables.

Stress falls on the first syllable - which may have hight or low pitch. Low pitch is marked by a grave accent.

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

Good jokelang only has syllabic bilabial trill, with tongue stuck all the way out, spoken by cars. And pranksters who like to be rude!
Hello there. Chirp chirp chirp.

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

WeepingElf wrote:My latest plaything: Svalbardian.

Just 5 consonants with plenty of allophony and orthography in bold:

[...]
I really like this! Small consonant inventories fascinate me. I hope to see more.

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

Based on Ubykh:

h hʷ hʲ ɦ ɦʷ ɦʲ ʔ ʔʷ ʔʲ ʔʰ ʔʰʷ ʔʰʲ ʔˤ ʔˤʷ ʔˤʰ ʔˤʰʷ ħ ħʷ ʕ ʕʷ q qʰ q’ ɢ ɢ̤ ɢ͡qʼ qʲ qʰʲ qʲ’ ɢʲ ɢ̤ʲ ɢ͡qʼʲ qʷ qʰʷ q’ʷ ɢʷ ɢ̤ʷ ɢ͡qʼʷ qˤ qʰˤ q’ˤ ɢˤ ɢ̤ˤ ɢ͡qʼˤ qʷˤ qʷʰˤ qʷ’ˤ ɢʷˤ ɢ̤ʷˤ ɢ͡qʼʷˤ qʷʲ qʰʷʲ q’ʷʲ ɢʷʲ ɢ̤ʷʲ ɢ͡qʼʷʲ ɴ ɴ̤ ɴʲ ɴ̤ʲ ɴʷ ɴ̤ʷ ɴʷʲ ɴ̤ʷʲ ɴˤ ɴ̤ˤ ɴʷˤ ɴ̤ʷˤ χ χʲ χʷ χˤ χˤʷ χʲʷ qχ qχʲ qχʷ qχˤ qχʷˤ qχʲʷ qχ’ qχ’ʲ qχ’ʷ qχ’ˤ qχ’ʷˤ qχ’ʲʷ ʁ ʁʲ ʁʷ ʁʲʷ ʁˤ ʁˤʷ ɢʁ ɢʁʲ ɢʁʷ ɢʁʷʲ ɢʁˤ ɢʁˤʷ ɢqχ’ ɢqχ’ʲ ɢqχ’ʷ ɢqχ’ˤ ɢqχ’ʷˤ ɢqχ’ʲʷ ʀ ʀʷ ʀ̥ ʀ̥ʷ ʀ͡ʐ ʀ̥͡ʂ ʀ͡ʐʷ ʀ̥͡ʂʷ k kʰ kʼ g g̤ g͡kʼ kʷ kʰʷ kʼʷ gʷ g̤ʷ g͡kʼʷ x xʷ kx kxʷ kxʼ kxʼʷ ɣ ɣʷ gɣ gɣʷ gkxʼ gkxʼʷ ŋ ŋ̈ ŋʷ ŋ̈ʷ c cʰ cʼ ɟ ɟ̤ ɟ͡cʼ cʷ cʰʷ cʼʷ ɟʷ ɟ̤ʷ ɟ͡cʼʷ ç çʷ cç cçʷ cçʼ cçʼʷ ʝ ʝʷ ɟʝ ɟʝʷ ɟcçʼ ɟcç’ʷ ɲ ɲ̈ ɲʷ ɲ̈ʷ t̠ t̠ʰ t̠’ d̠ d̠̤ d̠t̠’ t̠ʷ t̠ʰʷ t̠’ʷ d̠ʷ d̠̤ʷ d̠t̠’ʷ s̠ s̠ʷ t̠s̠ t̠s̠ʷ t̠s̠’ t̠s̠’ʷ z̠ z̠ʷ d̠z̠ d̠z̠ʷ d̠t̠s̠’ d̠t̠s̠’ʷ n̠ n̠̤ n̠̤ʷ n̠ʷ t̪ t̪ʰ t̪’ d̪ d̪̤ d̪t̪’ t̪ʷ t̪ʰʷ t̪’ʷ d̪ʷ d̪̤ʷ d̪t̪’ʷ s̪ s̪ʷ t̪s̪ t̪s̪ʷ t̪s̪’ t̪s̪’ʷ z̪ z̪ʷ d̪z̪ d̪z̪ʷ d̪t̪s̪’ d̪t̪s̪’ʷ n̪ n̪̤ n̪̤ʷ n̪ʷ p pʰ p’ b b̤ bp’ pʷ pʰʷ p’ʷ bʷ b̤ʷ bp’ʷ ɸ ɸʷ pɸ pɸʷ pɸ’ pɸ’ʷ β βʷ bβ bβʷ bpɸ’ bpɸ’ʷ m m̤ m̤ʷ mʷ t̠ʲ t̠ʰʲ t̠’ʲ d̠ʲ d̠̤ʲ d̠t̠’ʲ t̠ʷʲ t̠ʰʷʲ t̠’ʷʲ d̠ʷʲ d̠̤ʷʲ d̠t̠’ʷʲ s̠ʲ s̠ʷʲ t̠s̠ʲ t̠s̠ʷʲ t̠s̠’ʲ t̠s̠’ʷʲ z̠ʲ z̠ʷʲ d̠z̠ʲ d̠z̠ʷʲ d̠t̠s̠’ʲ d̠t̠s̠’ʷʲ n̠ʲ n̠̤ʲ n̠̤ʷʲ n̠ʷʲ t̪ʲ t̪ʰʲ t̪’ʲ d̪ʲ d̪̤ʲ d̪t̪’ʲ t̪ʷʲ t̪ʰʷʲ t̪’ʷʲ d̪ʷʲ d̪̤ʷʲ d̪t̪’ʷʲ s̪ʲ s̪ʷʲ t̪s̪ʲ t̪s̪ʷʲ t̪s̪’ʲ t̪s̪’ʷʲ z̪ʲ z̪ʷʲ d̪z̪ʲ d̪z̪ʷʲ d̪t̪s̪’ʲ d̪t̪s̪’ʷʲ n̪ʲ n̪̤ʲ n̪̤ʷʲ n̪ʷʲ pʲ pʰʲ p’ʲ bʲ b̤ʲ bp’ʲ pʷʲ pʰʷʲ p’ʷʲ bʷʲ b̤ʷʲ bp’ʷʲ ɸʲ ɸʷʲ pɸʲ pɸʷʲ pɸ’ʲ pɸ’ʷʲ βʲ βʷʲ bβʲ bβʷʲ bpɸ’ʲ bpɸ’ʷʲ mʲ m̤ʲ m̤ʷʲ mʷʲ t̠ˤ t̠ʰˤ t̠’ˤ d̠ˤ d̠̤ˤ d̠t̠’ˤ t̠ʷˤ t̠ʰʷˤ t̠’ʷˤ d̠ʷˤ d̠̤ʷˤ d̠t̠’ʷˤ s̠ˤ s̠ʷˤ t̠s̠ˤ t̠s̠ʷˤ t̠s̠’ˤ t̠s̠’ʷˤ z̠ˤ z̠ʷˤ d̠z̠ˤ d̠z̠ʷˤ d̠t̠s̠’ˤ d̠t̠s̠’ʷˤ n̠ˤ n̠̤ˤ n̠̤ʷˤ n̠ʷˤ t̪ˤ t̪ʰˤ t̪’ˤ d̪ˤ d̪̤ˤ d̪t̪’ˤ t̪ʷˤ t̪ʰʷˤ t̪’ʷˤ d̪ʷˤ d̪̤ʷˤ d̪t̪’ʷˤ s̪ˤ s̪ʷˤ t̪s̪ˤ t̪s̪ʷˤ t̪s̪’ˤ t̪s̪’ʷˤ z̪ˤ z̪ʷˤ d̪z̪ˤ d̪z̪ʷˤ d̪t̪s̪’ˤ d̪t̪s̪’ʷˤ n̪ˤ n̪̤ˤ n̪̤ʷˤ n̪ʷˤ pˤ pʰˤ p’ˤ bˤ b̤ˤ bp’ˤ pʷˤ pʰʷˤ p’ʷˤ bʷˤ b̤ʷˤ bp’ʷˤ ɸˤ ɸʷˤ pɸˤ pɸʷˤ pɸ’ˤ pɸ’ʷˤ βˤ βʷˤ bβˤ bβʷˤ bpɸ’ˤ bpɸ’ʷˤ mˤ m̤ˤ m̤ʷˤ mʷˤ r r̥ rʷ r̥ʷ ɾʲ ɾ̥ʲ ɾʲʷ ɾ̥ʲʷ r͡ʒ r̥͡ʃ r͡ʒʷ r̥͡ʃʷ rˤ r̥ˤ rʷˤ r̥ʷˤ r͡ʒˤ r̥͡ʃˤ r͡ʒʷˤ r̥͡ʃʷˤ ɬ̠ ɬ̠ʷ t̠ɬ̠ t̠ɬ̠ʷ t̠ɬ̠’ t̠ɬ̠’ʷ ɮ̠ ɮ̠ʷ d̠ɮ̠ d̠ɮ̠ʷ d̠t̠ɬ̠’ d̠t̠ɬ̠’ʷ ɬ̠ʲ ɬ̠ʷʲ t̠ɬ̠ʲ t̠ɬ̠ʷʲ t̠ɬ̠’ʲ t̠ɬ̠’ʷʲ ɮ̠ʲ ɮ̠ʷʲ d̠ɮ̠ʲ d̠ɮ̠ʷʲ d̠t̠ɬ̠’ʲ d̠t̠ɬ̠’ʷʲ ɬ̠ˤ ɬ̠ʷˤ t̠ɬ̠ˤ t̠ɬ̠ʷˤ t̠ɬ̠’ˤ t̠ɬ̠’ʷˤ ɮ̠ˤ ɮ̠ʷˤ d̠ɮ̠ˤ d̠ɮ̠ʷˤ d̠t̠ɬ̠’ˤ d̠t̠ɬ̠’ʷˤ ɬ̪ ɬ̪ʷ t̪ɬ̪ t̪ɬ̪ʷ t̪ɬ̪’ t̪ɬ̪’ʷ ɮ̪ ɮ̪ʷ d̪ɮ̪ d̪ɮ̪ʷ d̪t̪ɬ̪’ d̪t̪ɬ̪’ʷ ɬ̪ʲ ɬ̪ʷʲ t̪ɬ̪ʲ t̪ɬ̪ʷʲ t̪ɬ̪’ʲ t̪ɬ̪’ʷʲ ɮ̪ʲ ɮ̪ʷʲ d̪ɮ̪ʲ d̪ɮ̪ʷʲ d̪t̪ɬ̪’ʲ d̪t̪ɬ̪’ʷʲ ɬ̪ˤ ɬ̪ʷˤ t̪ɬ̪ˤ t̪ɬ̪ʷˤ t̪ɬ̪’ˤ t̪ɬ̪’ʷˤ ɮ̪ˤ ɮ̪ʷˤ d̪ɮ̪ˤ d̪ɮ̪ʷˤ d̪t̪ɬ̪’ˤ d̪t̪ɬ̪’ʷˤ, each in fortis and lenis versions

a e i o u a: e: i: o: u:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tucootkah:

consonants: /t k/
vowels: /u a u: a:/
syllable structure: CV(V)(C)