Post your conlang's phonology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Swagcat
Niš
Niš

Re: Post your conlang's phonology

Post by Swagcat »

Bukkya- it's a relatively new lang I'm working on. It was supposed to be a priori, but I think I've screwed with naturalism so much for the sake of Aesthetic that at this point, I think it's more of an artlang

Nasals /m n ŋ/ <m n ng'>
Voiceless stops /p t k p' t' k' ⁿp ⁿt ⁿk/ <p pp t tt k kk mp nt nk>
Voiced stops /b d g ⁿb ⁿd ⁿg/ <b d g mb nd ng>
Affricates /ts dz t∫ ʤ/ <ts dz tx j>
Fricatives /f s ∫ h/ <f s x h>
Other /l ɹ j w/ <l r y w>

Vowels:
/i u e o a/ + ai, au (super exciting, I know)

- initial syllables can start with any consonant or vowel, but medial syllables must start with a consonant
- any consonant can be followed by either /w/ or /j/
- initial and medial syllables can end with any nasal or one of /l ɹ s/
- final syllables can end with any nasal, or one of /l ɹ s p t k/

That's all I've got for now, but I'm hoping to start fleshing it out more once I have the time

Axiem
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Axiem »

Here's what I've come up with so far for my language Situnyan, which is the lingua franca of my world:

/m mʲ n nʲ/ m my n ny
/p pʲ b bʲ t tʲ d dʲ k kʲ g gʲ/ p py b by t ty d dy k ky g gy
/f fʲ v vʲ s sʲ z zʲ/ f fy v vy s sy z zy
/l lʲ/ l ly
/w j/ w y

/i~ɪ u/ i u
/e~ɛ o/ e o
/ɑ/ a

No polyphthongs. Syllables are (m/n)CV, with that nasal actually becoming syllabic phonetically (but considered part of the same syllable and written as such by Situnyan speakers); e.g. <levengu> /le.ve.n̩.gu/ "tree branch"

Of note, because I plan on using this language primarily as a naming language for a novel (series...), I feel okay being a little constrained to what I think my (English-speaking) readers won't mangle too much.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Here’s Shadda, a relative of Janaharian.

/m n ɲ/ m n nh
/p b t d ts tʃ dʒ k g q/ p b t d tz ch j k g q
/s ʃ ç χ h/ s sh kh qh h
/r l/ r l
/j w/ y w

/i e ɛ a ɔ o u/ i ê e a o ô u
/ĩ ɛ̃ ɔ̃ ũ/ į ę ą ų

The alveolar affricate and palatal fricative are romanized the way they are to link them to their main cognate sounds in Janaharian: /z/ and /x/ respectively. They use the same letters as these sounds in the native writing system.

Relative to Janaharian, Shadda’s allophonic processes are comparatively simple. Fricatives voice intervocalically and before voiced consonants, and /ç/ merges into /j/ in this environment. The nasal vowels are all phonetically a bit lower than the cardinal value of their character; they also insert a homorganic nasal consonant before stops. /r/ is only a full trill word-initially or when geminated; otherwise it’s a flap. /l/ is always clear, not allophonically vearized as in Janaharian. Similarly, velar stops do not front as extremely before front vowels and are unaffected after them.

Despite being fairly close relatives, Shadda and Janaharian sound quite different. Shadda doesn’t allow quite as wide a range of consonant clusters as Janaharian, as it did not undergo the final wave of vowel deletion its relative did. (It still allows somewhat more initial clusters than English does.) Additionally, it preserved contrastive vowel nasalization and broke stressed vowels into diphthongsrather than denasalizing the nasal vowels and converting the length contrast to a tenseness contrast.
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

Uruwi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Uruwi »

Prototype wherein each consonant is interchangeable with a vowel.

p – y
t – e
k – o
j – i
w – u
ħ – a
s – ɨ
m – ũ
n – ẽ
y – ã
tʼ – e˥
kʼ – o˥
ɬ – ʌ
tɬʼ – ʌ˥
l – ɯ
r – ḛ

The same phoneme may not occur twice in a row.

Allophony:
lm → p
nl → r
ɬ → tʼ (⋄~{⌷, tʼ, kʼ})

Examples:
/ħswlmŋ/ → [ħswpŋ] → e. g. [asupã]
/trk/ → e. g. [tʼḛo]
/tɬtɬʼks/ → e. g. [eɬʌ˥kɨ]