Post your conlang's phonology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
txmmj
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Post your conlang's phonology

Post by txmmj »

I'm trying to edit my vowel inventory... But I'm not sure how realistic or possible it could be. Basically, I'm pretty happy with how the vowels are in normal situations. However, <a e o> change sometimes in unstressed situations. I don't know if these changes seem reasonable or whatever... Any advice would be much appreciate as to what I should do! (Also, if the vowel inventory in general seems like too much or like it doesn't really fit, let me know!) Thanks in advance.

/a e i o ø ɯ u y/ <a e i o u ɯ w y>
/ə 0 ə ɪ u/ <a a e e o> (unstressed)
/aɪ oɪ øʏ/ <æ œ ᵫ>

• <a> in the syllable before the stressed syllable isn’t pronounced
• <e> is pronounced as /ɪ/ when unstressed at the end of a word
• <o> is pronounced /u/ when unstressed at the end of a word
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

8Deer wrote:
the labial articulation tends to become a bit hard to discern before a rounded vowel, yes, but delabialization before a labial sounds pretty weird to me.
Ok I'll change that.
Neutralization of the /k/ :: /kʷ/ contrast before /u/ is actually quite likely, and since the labiality can easily be taken to belong to the following vowel in such positions, it's not inconceivable that the resulting sound would be interpreted as the phoneme /k/, even if it's realized more like [kʷ] and there's a /k/ : /kʷ/ contrast in other positions...

Chaoibhuin
Niš
Niš

Post by Chaoibhuin »

After a lot of toing and froing I have decided upon the following phonology for my language:

Consonants:
Plosive: /p t tˤ k/
Fricative: /f s sˤ ʃ x/
Nasal: /m n nˤ ŋ/
Approximant: /l lˤ/

Vowels:
/i a u/

Allophony:
/i a u/ > [e ɑ o] when adjacent to a pharyngealized consonant.

Phonotactics:
CV(C) syllable structure. Words do not begin in /tˤ sˤ nˤ lˤ/. Words do not end in /p f m ʃ/.

I'm still not entirely confident that it is naturalistic though. Is there anything odd about it? Is it odd that there is a series of pharyngealized consonants but there are no pharyngeal consonants? Also, does it make sense that /i a u/ > [e ɑ o] when adjacent to a pharyngealized consonant?

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Chaoibhuin wrote:Also, does it make sense that /i a u/ > [e ɑ o] when adjacent to a pharyngealized consonant?
That part certainly is very naturalistic--pharyngealization generally lowers or centralizes neighboring vowels. I don't have time to look up the pharyngealized consonants without pharyngeal consonants thing, but you might be able to check on WALS (http://wals.info/).

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

Whimemsz wrote:
Chaoibhuin wrote:Also, does it make sense that /i a u/ > [e ɑ o] when adjacent to a pharyngealized consonant?
That part certainly is very naturalistic--pharyngealization generally lowers or centralizes neighboring vowels. I don't have time to look up the pharyngealized consonants without pharyngeal consonants thing, but you might be able to check on WALS (http://wals.info/).
Chilcotin has pharyngealized alveolars without pharyngeal consonants. I have a feeling some other language of that area has this too but I can't remember right now.

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

Chaoibhuin wrote:Is it odd that there is a series of pharyngealized consonants but there are no pharyngeal consonants?
It's a bit odd, but by no means impossible. Ubykh had 14 pharygealized consonants, and no pharyngeal consonants.

According to UPSID, !Xu has a "pharyngealized voiced velar nasal" (and is the only language in the world with this phoneme), and no pharyngeals. Verify. (!Xoo also has pharyngealized or "strident" vowels). Tamasheq is also listed as having pharyngealizeds but no pharyngeals. Again, verify. Wikipedia contradicts both of these.

But Ubykh proves that it can happen, and has happened at least once.

BTW, WALS Chapter 19 does not distinguish between pharyngeal and pharyngealized consonants, but since it's so rare to have the latter without the former, this might not matter.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

I have a simple Nahuatl-inspired one:

/p pʰ t tʰ k kʰ q qʰ/
/s ʃ x/
/m n j w/
/t͡s t͡ʃ t͡ɬ/
/t͡s' t͡ʃ' t͡ɬ'/

/i iː/
/ɛ ɛː ɔ ɔː/
/a aː/
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Maoti
Niš
Niš

Post by Maoti »

txmmj wrote:I'm trying to edit my vowel inventory... But I'm not sure how realistic or possible it could be. Basically, I'm pretty happy with how the vowels are in normal situations. However, <a e o> change sometimes in unstressed situations. I don't know if these changes seem reasonable or whatever... Any advice would be much appreciate as to what I should do! (Also, if the vowel inventory in general seems like too much or like it doesn't really fit, let me know!) Thanks in advance.

/a e i o ø ɯ u y/ <a e i o u ɯ w y>
/ə 0 ə ɪ u/ <a a e e o> (unstressed)
/aɪ oɪ øʏ/ <æ œ ᵫ>

• <a> in the syllable before the stressed syllable isn’t pronounced
• <e> is pronounced as /ɪ/ when unstressed at the end of a word
• <o> is pronounced /u/ when unstressed at the end of a word
Your vowel inventory (/a e i o ø ɯ u y/) is identical to that of Turkish. Don't know if that was intentional. It makes sense to me that /e/ and /o/ are raised to [ɪ] and when unstressed at the end of a word. Vowels are raised at the end of a word in some natlangs too. In Brazilian Portuguese, unstressed word-final /e/ is raised to [ɪ] or , and unstressed word-final /o/ is raised to [ʊ] or . Since unstressed word-final /e/ and /o/ are raised in your language, it would make sense to also raise unstressed word-final /a/ and /ø/. You could raised /a/ and /ø/ to [ɐ] and [ʏ] respectively. One problem with having as an allophone of /o/ is that you already have /u/ as a phoneme. Perhaps you could change the raised allophone of /o/ to [ʊ] to distinguish it phonetically from /u/.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Darkgamma wrote:I have a simple Nahuatl-inspired one:

/p pʰ t tʰ k kʰ q qʰ/
/s ʃ x/
/m n j w/
/t͡s t͡ʃ t͡ɬ/
/t͡s' t͡ʃ' t͡ɬ'/
It's odd to have the plosives have one contrast (plain-aspirated) and affricates a different contrast (plain-ejective). I don't know if there's any natlang precedent for that.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

cromulant wrote:But Ubykh proves that it can happen, and has happened at least once.
Most NWC langs have them, so I'd guess it did at one point and lost them relatively recently. Also, note that the Karacalar dialect lost contrastive pharyngealization.
Maoti wrote:One problem with having as an allophone of /o/ is that you already have /u/ as a phoneme. Perhaps you could change the raised allophone of /o/ to [ʊ] to distinguish it phonetically from /u/.

Nothing wrong with having them merge in that position.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Whimemsz wrote:
Darkgamma wrote:I have a simple Nahuatl-inspired one:

/p pʰ t tʰ k kʰ q qʰ/
/s ʃ x/
/m n j w/
/t͡s t͡ʃ t͡ɬ/
/t͡s' t͡ʃ' t͡ɬ'/
It's odd to have the plosives have one contrast (plain-aspirated) and affricates a different contrast (plain-ejective). I don't know if there's any natlang precedent for that.
Aspiration developed from an earlier ejectivisation.
Ejective fricatives developed into ejective affricates.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Plain affricates and aspirated stops are more logical, in that case, than aspirated stops and ejective affricates. Though nobody is certain, some people think that Hebrew *s' or *sˤ (emphatic /s/) became /t͡s/.

What you could also do, is merge everything into affricates. *p' t' k' q' > p͡ɸ (or pf) t͡s k͡x q͡χ . The only merger you have then is *s' and *t'.

Though really, there are many options with ejectives. For example, the north-american language Nootka developed ʕ from *qʷʼ. Systematic pharyngealization of ejective consonants is also a possibility. Tigrinya sometimes pronounces q' as χʼ .

txmmj
Sanci
Sanci

Post by txmmj »

Maoti wrote: Your vowel inventory (/a e i o ø ɯ u y/) is identical to that of Turkish. Don't know if that was intentional. It makes sense to me that /e/ and /o/ are raised to [ɪ] and when unstressed at the end of a word. Vowels are raised at the end of a word in some natlangs too. In Brazilian Portuguese, unstressed word-final /e/ is raised to [ɪ] or , and unstressed word-final /o/ is raised to [ʊ] or . Since unstressed word-final /e/ and /o/ are raised in your language, it would make sense to also raise unstressed word-final /a/ and /ø/. You could raised /a/ and /ø/ to [ɐ] and [ʏ] respectively. One problem with having as an allophone of /o/ is that you already have /u/ as a phoneme. Perhaps you could change the raised allophone of /o/ to [ʊ] to distinguish it phonetically from /u/.

I actually haven't ever really done much research on Turkish, so it was a complete coincidence.
But thanks for the advice! As for in other unstressed situations, does having only /a/ and /e/ become /ə/ work? Should /o/ follow the same pattern as well, or does that not make sense? Should I only have /e/ act as /ə/ in unstressed situations? Also, I had /a/ become silent when in a syllable before the stressed syllable. Does this seem okay or too farfetched?
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

This is from one of my conlangs, Kron:

Stops: /p b t̪ d̪ c ɟ/
Fricatives: /f v s z ʃ ʒ ç/
Affricates: /ts tʃ dʒ dz ʨ dʑ c͡ç /
Misc./Approx.: /r l j/
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Chagen wrote:This is from one of my conlangs, Kron:

What about vowels?

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Same as Japanese except /u/.

Kron's vowels are /i e a o u/. No Diphthongs.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Grimalkin
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grimalkin »

Hmm, I dunno how easy it would be to distinguish /ʨ/ and /c͡ç/. To me they sound extremely similar.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Well, I love me some palatals. I went on a binge of them for a few of my langs.

Here are two other of my langs, Föro and Cryset:

Föro:

Stops:
/p b t d c ɟ k g/
<p b t d c j k g>

Fricatives:
/f v s z θ ð ʃ ʒ χ/
<f v s z tx dx sx zx h>

Affricates:
/tʃ dʒ bβ/
<cx gx bv>

Nasal:
/n m ŋ ɴ/
<n m ng nx>

Misc.:
/l r j w/
<l r y w>

Vowels:/i e a o u ɯ ɤ æ ø y /
<i e a o u ix ex ax ox ux>
The vowels have an umlauting system similar to German.

Cryset:

/p pʲ b bʲ t d k kʲ g gʲ/
<p pj b bj t d k/c kj/cj g gj>

Fricatives:
/ɸ β f fʲ v vʲ s z ʃ ʒ ɕ ʑ h hʲ x/
<fh vh f fj v vj s z sc zc scj zcj h hj ch>

Affricates:
/ts dz tʃ dʒ tɕ dʑ/
<ts dz cz gh czj ghj>​

Approx.:
/l ʀ ʀʲ w j/
<l r rj w y>

Nasal:
/m mʲ n ŋ /
<m mj n ng>

Vowels:
/ɑ æ ɛ e i I u y o ø aɪ eɪ aʊ ui/
<a ah e eh i ih u ü o ø ai ei au ui>​

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Working on a second language already and got a few phones already. I wanted to try something that would give my mouth a challenge. I swear I must look like I'm speaking in tongues...

Stops: glottal, uvular, post-alveolar, labiodent
Approximants: velar, retroflex, labdent
Nasal: uvular
Affricate: retroflex, post-alveolar
Lateral: post-alveolar
Fricative: post-alveolar, dental

It's a start, I've left out details like apspiration and voiced, though I have some figured out. My vowels I'm working out as I go along. I'm going for "conventional" vowels but they are radically changed when I put them next to the sounds above (which adds to the "differentness"); I still don't get very well the positioning of the tongue with vowels (and approximants give me a hard time at times too).

Any first comments?
It was about time I changed this.

Solarius
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Solarius »

I think it's very unnaturalistic to have palatals without velars. They would probably become velars very quickly.
Yo jo moy garsmichte pa

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Solarius wrote:

I think it's very unnaturalistic to have palatals without velars. They would probably become velars very quickly.
Klao does this, so it's not impossible or unnaturalistic--it's just extremely rare.

Taernsietr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Taernsietr »

Solarius wrote:

Also, I think /ç c͡ç/ are very unlikely to appear without their voiced counterparts, since all others series have a voicing contrast.

Also, looking at all your phoneme inventories - you don't need all that. They are very kitchen-sinky phoneme-wise (can you even distinguish, by yourself, /tʃ tɕ/ ?) and you're going very overboard on orthography (e.g. the whole Cryset).

To make for an interesting phoneme inventory (as in, NOT an entire phonology or conlang) you don't need that many series and weird stuff - even though you might be in awe before the IPA chart or something, a giant inventory is just going to work against you...

You said you like palatals, so why not grab a very basic inventory (say, /p t k m n s h r j/) and add in some palatal consonants and/or constrasts (say, /p t c k m n ɲ s ɕ h l ʎ r j/ or /p pʲ t tʲ k kʲ m mʲ n nʲ s sʲ ç h r rʲ j/)? You don't even need all this crap in these two examples.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

CV syllable wrote:Hmm, I dunno how easy it would be to distinguish /ʨ/ and /c͡ç/. To me they sound extremely similar.
I can't find any languages which contrast the two...but it's still silly to say that you think it would be hard to distinguish them in principle, based on the evidence that you sure can't distinguish them! I can't distinguish virtually any of the click phonemes that speakers of Khoisan languages have no trouble with, but that's because I grew up speaking English and not !Kung.

Chaoibhuin
Niš
Niš

Post by Chaoibhuin »

Something with an Australian flavor that I came up with:

Plosive: /p t̪ t ʈ k/
Nasal: /m n̪ n ɳ ŋ/
Approximant: /w ɹ ɻ j ɰ/
Lateral approximant: /l̪ l ɭ/
Flap: /ɾ ɽ/
Lateral flap: /ɺ ɺ̠/
Vowels: /i e a o u/

Syllable structure: CV(C). Only /ɹ/ and /ɻ/ can occur in the coda. The CV combinations /wu/, /ɰu/ and /ji/ are impossible.

Grimalkin
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grimalkin »

That's a lot of rhotics you've got there! I'm liking the lack of fricatives. Very Australian.
Whimemsz wrote:
CV syllable wrote:Hmm, I dunno how easy it would be to distinguish /ʨ/ and /c͡ç/. To me they sound extremely similar.
I can't find any languages which contrast the two...but it's still silly to say that you think it would be hard to distinguish them in principle, based on the evidence that you sure can't distinguish them! I can't distinguish virtually any of the click phonemes that speakers of Khoisan languages have no trouble with, but that's because I grew up speaking English and not !Kung.
Yeah you're right. I should have said that a contrast between /ʨ/ and /c͡ç/ is very unlikely because they are (objectively) similar. My mission now is to find a language that does have a phonemic contrast between these two sounds :P