Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #94: Face and Politeness)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #9: Formality and Registe

Post by Ossicone »

And I'm trying to swear less!

At least until episode 13... :D

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Actually, a little everyday cussing isn't prohibited on radio and TV here, though I get the impression we're generally laxer on this than the US. I suppose it's acceptible in rather informal situations (like a podcast) even when broadcast, as long as it's not in every other sentence. At least personally I've not noticed any more swearing or cussing or whatever in previous episodes than you'd normally use in conversation.

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

So like gosh, darn, dang, damn, shoot, heck, maybe shit?

Ashroot
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ashroot »

Dirty mouth? So and so gum will clean it right up.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Guitarplayer wrote:Actually, a little everyday cussing isn't prohibited on radio and TV here, though I get the impression we're generally laxer on this than the US. I suppose it's acceptible in rather informal situations (like a podcast) even when broadcast, as long as it's not in every other sentence. At least personally I've not noticed any more swearing or cussing or whatever in previous episodes than you'd normally use in conversation.
There is a list of (mostly) fairly strong taboo words that for the most part cannot be said on American TV and radio due to FCC regulation, and the MPAA's guidelines automatically give an R rating (restricted, children under 17 must be with an adult) if a movie has a certain number of instances of the word "fuck". Podcasting being totally self-regulated, there is much more freedom, but I choose to edit out swearing just so no one reports the podcast as explicit on iTunes or anything like that, and also because there is the occasional chance that my mother will listen to the podcast (conlanging's not her thing but she listened to a good bit of the first episode). Given that the majority of our audience is in the US, I figure I'll stay with the local conventions, even if I think they are a bit wrongheaded.

In any case, if you want to hear us say dirty words, wait for episode 13. It will be about taboo vocabulary, and since you can't have a real linguistic discussion about such things without saying the words you're talking about (particularly not a thirty minute one that goes into some detail on the matter), I will not be editing the profanity in that episode. I will probably add an "Explicit" tag on iTunes just to cover myself, though there will be ample warning.
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Please log on soon. I'm incredibly tired. ;_;
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Skomakar'n wrote:Please log on soon. I'm incredibly tired. ;_;
Haha, well, I'm actually not feeling well today. Hopefully I can actually get the episode done.
George Corley

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Swearing's a massive no-no on radio here, as far as I know. It's possible to have your licence revoked and everything, especially if it's on FM. I remember some friends in the college radio, which got a week's licence to broadcast on FM one time, being told that they had to be extra careful not to swear on the FM – it's more excusable on the AM radio that not as many people listen to (after all, it's college radio, it only gets about 5 listeners on a good day), but FM radio is more likely to have people tuning into it accidentally, as it were. But podcasting seems to be laxer on the issue – some people bleep their swearing and some don't. I seriously doubt you're going to get people who even notice that you're swearing, as long as you aren't drawing attention to it, and I doubt much more strongly that anyone will report you to iTunes. Conlangers have better things to do with their lives. I can get the mother excuse, though – that's fair enough. :P

As for TV, it's ok to swear after 9pm. So live broadcasters have to be very careful before 9, otherwise they can also get into lots of trouble.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

hey, BTW, Sko, have you added me on Skype?
George Corley

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Ollock wrote:hey, BTW, Sko, have you added me on Skype?
I'm not sure, but I have Bianca, and she's not online yet... PM me your username, and I'll add you if I don't already have you.

EDIT:
Ten minutes left... If she told the truth. I'm sleepy. Where are you both?
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #10: Oragnization ...)

Post by Ollock »

George Corley

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

I would love to join in sometime.
næn:älʉː

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Listening to it now.

On the topic of example sentences, I find I often come up with ridiculously violent ones, like "The angry monster eats the scared little girl while her mother watches" and "a pool of drying blood covered the floor" (tlemírenih mácha ma tlehuích ha qórach ya qárasca na xéx ya lélin and apáltzal cua péros ha tzeráncaral ya latléma, respectively) I am inclined to take this as evidence of me being a terrible person.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Risla wrote:Listening to it now.

On the topic of example sentences, I find I often come up with ridiculously violent ones, like "The angry monster eats the scared little girl while her mother watches" and "a pool of drying blood covered the floor" (tlemírenih mácha ma tlehuích ha qórach ya qárasca na xéx ya lélin and apáltzal cua péros ha tzeráncaral ya latléma, respectively) I am inclined to take this as evidence of me being a terrible person.
Bianca and I had a little conversation about ridiculous example sentences appearing in our documents yesterday. I found stuff like "I spent my life collecting insects" and "(s)he smells like a fish". : (

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

Aww man, after recording yesterday we were talking about the ridiculousness of example sentences.
The ones in my grammar tend to be tamer and cat related. But the ones in my lexicon can be kinda silly like:
'He has the walk of a panther.' -- Nír ánsunaakirikaat.

But most are culturally relavent like:
'I stabbed the foreigner.' -- - Txím áhautalak iíkinusaya.

Damn, I got ninja'd.

@Lizzie Borden: Guests are fun! But I don't know how the schedule will work with your time zone. We record at 8pm on Sundays EST.
(And I'm not very good at planning...)

@Ollock: Fix the typo in the title!

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Ossicone wrote: @Lizzie Borden: Guests are fun! But I don't know how the schedule will work with your time zone. We record at 8pm on Sundays EST.
(And I'm not very good at planning...)
I just put Sydney because I miss Australia :(
But now I live in the UK.

And that sucks man. If you record at 8pm it'd be like 1am for me :(. We could all work stuff out once you move though.

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

Yeah. I'm sure that after I move the schedule will change. You should feel sorry for poor Sko who was up until 4am talking to us!

There are some Sundays when I can record earlier, but recently I've had to work and couldn't. But I don't know about the others.

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Ossicone wrote:Yeah. I'm sure that after I move the schedule will change. You should feel sorry for poor Sko who was up until 4am talking to us!

There are some Sundays when I can record earlier, but recently I've had to work and couldn't. But I don't know about the others.
Meh, who cares about the others, you are the token girl afterall! :P

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

XD Yes, but if it's just me all you'll hear about is Inyauk and like knitting.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Risla wrote:On the topic of example sentences, I find I often come up with ridiculously violent ones, like "The angry monster eats the scared little girl while her mother watches" and "a pool of drying blood covered the floor" (tlemírenih mácha ma tlehuích ha qórach ya qárasca na xéx ya lélin and apáltzal cua péros ha tzeráncaral ya latléma, respectively) I am inclined to take this as evidence of me being a terrible person.
:( Your ridiculous example sentences are way better than mine.
This grass of yours is expensive, that grass of mine is cheap. - for the use of clitic pronouns
Salt, most beloved spice, never leave! - for superlatives
And for participles, I’ve never seen the house that is allegedly being burned down (right now). and The allegedly travelled man doesn’t know much about foreign countries..
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #10: Organization ...)

Post by Ollock »

You know, some of you guys need to help me make up example sentences. I'm struggling with it with a grammar I'm currently writing.
George Corley

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

I'm just listening to Ep. 10. Ollock/Ossicone, you're talking about Google Docs being useful, but giving you like no way to format things to look nice at the beginning. You guys might be interested in signing up for Dropbox, Ubuntu One, or other such cloud services with desktop clients that keep shared folders synchronized between different computers.
Last edited by Jipí on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

I am a huge fan of Dropbox! It definitely gets my seal of approval.
(I think I say so later in the episode, but maybe not.)

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Ossicone wrote:(I think I say so later in the episode, but maybe not.)
Indeed, you did. As I said, I'm just listening, and before I forget I thought I'd post the suggestion ;)

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Guitarplayer wrote:
Ossicone wrote:(I think I say so later in the episode, but maybe not.)
Indeed, you did. As I said, I'm just listening, and before I forget I thought I'd post the suggestion ;)
... oooh, pausing the show to give feedback, that's a nono :P
George Corley