Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #94: Face and Politeness)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #22: Pronouns)

Post by finlay »

... why did the theme tune start playing again while you were telling the story about your parents? Did you hit the button accidentally?

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #22: Pronouns)

Post by Ollock »

Nannalu wrote:I'm on the next episode :D
The next recording, I think. Our episodes are about three weeks ahead right now.
finlay wrote:... why did the theme tune start playing again while you were telling the story about your parents? Did you hit the button accidentally?
I'll have to check that. Maybe I accidentally duplicated it. The music is added in after the fact, as I have no soundboard and I still edit the show (a little, it's not as extensive as before) before it goes up.
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #23: Alien Languages)

Post by Ollock »

George Corley

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

We have another poll up, to see how people feel about us maybe featuring some natlangs in the future, since it's getting harder and harder to track down conlangs.
George Corley

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

You had sound issues in this episode – bianca and william sounded like they were talking down a very distant and interferance-heavy phone line.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Ollock wrote:We have another poll up, to see how people feel about us maybe featuring some natlangs in the future, since it's getting harder and harder to track down conlangs.
Not Found, Error 404

The page you are looking for no longer exists. Perhaps you can return back to the site's homepage and see if you can find what you are looking for.
And what Finlay said. It was very bad phone quality.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

finlay wrote:You had sound issues in this episode – bianca and william sounded like they were talking down a very distant and interferance-heavy phone line.
Yes, there was a buzz coming from Bianca's electric blanket and to save myself some work I filtered it out rather than killing it by hand. Unfortunately, that resulted in them sounding somewhat like they were recorded from a tin can phone.
George Corley

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Tell Bianca to shut off her electric blanket, even if she'll dislike it?

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Ok, the poll should work now. For some reason I was simply assuming I scheduled it to post today, but I had actually scheduled it for tomorrow. I just published it.

EDIT: New link: http://conlangery.conlang.org/2011/11/0 ... some-more/
George Corley

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

Guitarplayer wrote:Tell Bianca to shut off her electric blanket, even if she'll dislike it?
We didn't figure out the problem until after we finished recording. The blanket doesn't actually make any sound (that a human can hear) so I wasn't aware it was an issue at the time. Anyway it shouldn't be an issue in the future now that we know about it.
Last edited by Ossicone on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

You don't sleep with the blanket on, do you, Bianca?
næn:älʉː

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

No. I usually just use it to warm up then turn it off.
I have an electric blanket because I am an old woman. :(

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Oh good, because there are many incidents where people are burnt to death when they leave their blankets on. And we don't want a Burnt Bianca D:

I love electric blankets :3 It's like technological slumber.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #24: Possession)

Post by Ollock »

We have an episode about possession: Conlangery #24: Possession
George Corley

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

I have inalienable and alienable in Umík.

And why the hate for plastic chopsticks?

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Nannalu wrote:I have inalienable and alienable in Umík.

I've never used plastic chopstics, to be honest, but I have used the Korean-style stainless steel variety. Basically a smooth surface leads to inferior grip, and thus food is likely to slide off before you get it to your mouth (particularly if you are eating noodles. Thus, in my opinion, wood is the best material for chopstics, as it has a natural degree of friction. Of course, that does make it slightly harder to clean.
George Corley

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Ollock wrote:
Nannalu wrote:I have inalienable and alienable in Umík.

I've never used plastic chopstics, to be honest, but I have used the Korean-style stainless steel variety. Basically a smooth surface leads to inferior grip, and thus food is likely to slide off before you get it to your mouth (particularly if you are eating noodles. Thus, in my opinion, wood is the best material for chopstics, as it has a natural degree of friction. Of course, that does make it slightly harder to clean.
Ooh, I never realised that, thanks! I'd love to try metal chopsticks, like the rough metal.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

You didn't mention the distinction between English _'s and of _... which is quite interesting and leans towards an inalienable thing but doesn't quite get there... In fact I don't think you really talked about possession enough this week... all you really did was mention alienable and inalienable possession and discuss a few possibilities for that particular dichotomy.

It's just I thought of a perfect example in English – a few years ago (I don't think the interface says it anymore, however), Facebook used to have two tabs when you went to photos: "Your Photos" (photos you've taken and uploaded) and "Photos of you" (photos with you in them). It's a bit like when William mentioned "my book". I guess the second isn't really possession as such, although I'm now wondering if there's a possibility that the two notions could be confused in another language.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

finlay wrote:You didn't mention the distinction between English _'s and of _... which is quite interesting and leans towards an inalienable thing but doesn't quite get there... In fact I don't think you really talked about possession enough this week... all you really did was mention alienable and inalienable possession and discuss a few possibilities for that particular dichotomy.

It's just I thought of a perfect example in English – a few years ago (I don't think the interface says it anymore, however), Facebook used to have two tabs when you went to photos: "Your Photos" (photos you've taken and uploaded) and "Photos of you" (photos with you in them). It's a bit like when William mentioned "my book". I guess the second isn't really possession as such, although I'm now wondering if there's a possibility that the two notions could be confused in another language.
Yeah, I think mainly we didn't go too far into the English system is that it that there are quite a few complications. We try not to go too far down the rabbit hole on any specific language when giving examples, especially English.
George Corley

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

I've taken a break from the podcast since episode 17, since I like listening to them every day, and by the time I had listened to all of them, there weren't any more for me, so now I've waited long enough to have 17 - 24 ahead of me, and probably 25 too, before I'm done with all of those, so that's why I'm a bit behind in time, but I just wanted to say one thing about the mood episode, and Bianca's complaints about the imperative not feeling like one. I agree, most of the time, but I felt that it would be worth telling you that in Hungarian, the imperative and the subjunctive are actually the same mood. The same form is used both in "jump!" and "I wish you would jump". Just like most of Spanish (at least Portuguese) subjunctive.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

stinger
Niš
Niš

Post by stinger »

I have a suggestion for a conlang to possibly look at. The Dragon Language from Skyrim.
http://uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragon_Language
http://uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragon_Alphabet
I was inspired to suggest this because the developers said they made up the language, but one of the game reviews I saw said they're just shouting random Klingon.

Or, you could look at a group of conlangs instead of just one if they're limited. Like you mentioned how Star Wars was lacking in a previous podcast. It may have a limited amount of conlanging, but it does have a number of languages, so maybe you could look at Star Wars as a whole rather than just Huttese or Ewokese.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #25: Grammatical Voice)

Post by Ollock »

Sorry, it took so long to get the link out, but here it is: Conlangery #25: Grammatical Voice
George Corley

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

I'm so sorry I hardly spoke :(
And when I was on about chomeur, it sounded like I was a right dork.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Nannalu wrote:I'm so sorry I hardly spoke :(
And when I was on about chomeur, it sounded like I was a right dork.
It's ok, you seemed rather nervous. We try to make the atmosphere like a friendly discussion, but that doesn't change the fact that it really is a performance, with all the attendant anxieties.
George Corley

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Oh and I mumbled like a tortoise :(