Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #94: Face and Politeness)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #27: Irregularity)

Post by Ollock »

Is this ...
Darkgamma wrote:65% of the podcast was about Esperanto and Volapük...
... a valid criticism of an episode which had a segment devoted to Esperanto?

That's why I thought you were trolling -- your initial criticisms made it look like you hadn't really been listening, just casually scanning through to look for things to complain about.
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Ollock wrote:Is this ...

That's why I thought you were trolling -- your initial criticisms made it look like you hadn't really been listening, just casually scanning through to look for things to complain about.
I might've parsed things differently.
I meant more about the structure of the languages than about the things of the language.
I listened to the podcast once more, and, thinking about it, I might've been wrong on some points. And don't really think that all my points are negative (or that any are), I just thought that the pejorative derivations were quite an interesting feature.
Don't take things too strongly, that's my advice.
My offer still stands if you're willing to take it. When do you tape the podcasts, anyway? If it's too late, even in the future I won't have any chance of joining you.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Darkgamma wrote:
Ollock wrote:Is this ...

I might've parsed things differently.
I meant more about the structure of the languages than about the things of the language.
I listened to the podcast once more, and, thinking about it, I might've been wrong on some points. And don't really think that all my points are negative (or that any are), I just thought that the pejorative derivations were quite an interesting feature.
Don't take things too strongly, that's my advice.
My offer still stands if you're willing to take it. When do you tape the podcasts, anyway? If it's too late, even in the future I won't have any chance of joining you.
We record on Sundays at 6pm Eastern Time (US). But I honestly am being more selective about guests. Nothing personal, it's just that our last guest barely talked at all (no offense Nannalu) and I need to start focusing on people who I know will make a significant contribution (four people on Skype with no video can be an ordeal). PM me your Skype name and I'll give you a call, sort of an informal "audition", if you want to put it that way.
George Corley

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I think you need someone who doesn't know a lot about conlanging or linguistics, so that person can ask questions a person "in the know" wouldn't know to ask, thereby providing a chance for different topics to come up that you wouldn't have thought of in the first place.

I have a feeling that a lot of simple and basic things that many people might not know, don't come up during the podcast, even during an episode which the subject would fall under.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Ollock wrote: We record on Sundays at 6pm Eastern Time (US). But I honestly am being more selective about guests. Nothing personal, it's just that our last guest barely talked at all (no offense Nannalu) and I need to start focusing on people who I know will make a significant contribution (four people on Skype with no video can be an ordeal).
Oh.
I can't really join you, then.
6pm Eastern Time's midnight here. I'm talkative and quite active, but that's pretty late. I have a love life that's struggling to stay afloat and a newfound career of student
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Would love to talk to William about Esperanto sometime. I didn't know that he's an Esperantisto.

It's also nice to know that he's a practical Esperantist (raŭmisto).
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Bristel wrote:I think you need someone who doesn't know a lot about conlanging or linguistics, so that person can ask questions a person "in the know" wouldn't know to ask, thereby providing a chance for different topics to come up that you wouldn't have thought of in the first place.

I have a feeling that a lot of simple and basic things that many people might not know, don't come up during the podcast, even during an episode which the subject would fall under.
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Maybe bring in someone outside the community for a special "bonus" episode or something?
Darkgamma wrote:
Ollock wrote: We record on Sundays at 6pm Eastern Time (US). But I honestly am being more selective about guests. Nothing personal, it's just that our last guest barely talked at all (no offense Nannalu) and I need to start focusing on people who I know will make a significant contribution (four people on Skype with no video can be an ordeal).
Oh.
I can't really join you, then.
6pm Eastern Time's midnight here. I'm talkative and quite active, but that's pretty late. I have a love life that's struggling to stay afloat and a newfound career of student
No problem, then. Yeah, it is late for the Europeans. Bianca has even noted that the show starts late for her (and we already moved the time for her!)
Bristel wrote:Would love to talk to William about Esperanto sometime. I didn't know that he's an Esperantisto.

It's also nice to know that he's a practical Esperantist (raŭmisto).
Yeah. It's been part of our behind-the-scenes discussions for a while. We waited until Bianca was not available because she is incredibly hostile toward Esperanto :P
George Corley

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Ollock wrote:Yeah. It's been part of our behind-the-scenes discussions for a while. We waited until Bianca was not available because she is incredibly hostile toward Esperanto :P
One more such stunt and you'll find yourself in line with the Things Bianca Hates Vigorously :P

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Guitarplayer wrote:
Ollock wrote:Yeah. It's been part of our behind-the-scenes discussions for a while. We waited until Bianca was not available because she is incredibly hostile toward Esperanto :P
One more such stunt and you'll find yourself in line with the Things Bianca Hates Vigorously :P
This should be an episode.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

"gigantic piles of grammatical joy" probably the best line yet in all the episodes.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

WILL. [in a falsetto voice] Yay!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I haven't listened to the podcast yet - but I'm trying to copy it to my ipod and just realised that the reason it's not been copying is because it's so large - 114 MB? Guys! That's massive! Your biggest one before was 66 MB and that's still really pushing it.

(As a comparison, the other podcasts I listen to are between 25 and 45 MB.)

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

well i exported it at 256 kbps ... that could probably be shaved down
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

finlay wrote:I haven't listened to the podcast yet - but I'm trying to copy it to my ipod and just realised that the reason it's not been copying is because it's so large - 114 MB? Guys! That's massive! Your biggest one before was 66 MB and that's still really pushing it.

I noticed that. Now that there is an editor maybe it has to do with the way/quality in which it is finally compressed. The quality did seem superieur to previous episodes...

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

finlay wrote:I haven't listened to the podcast yet - but I'm trying to copy it to my ipod and just realised that the reason it's not been copying is because it's so large - 114 MB? Guys! That's massive! Your biggest one before was 66 MB and that's still really pushing it.

Kereb wrote:well i exported it at 256 kbps ... that could probably be shaved down
I noticed the larger file size when I was uploading. I figured it was higher quality. But if it's a problem for people, then Kereb -- don't use such a high quality mp3. It is talk radio after all -- the audio quality doesn't need to be that good.
George Corley

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

I can re-export it when I get home tonight. How's 160kbps? Too low?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Your other ones up till now have been 128. So probably not. I mean for all we complain about the sound quality, they're not that bad, fine for spoken word. :P I think really the problems with the audio have been more the balance issues between you and the others. Like when one of you's practically shouting and the other might be whispering. But you haven't really had that much recently anyway.

Anyway, I'll listen to this one tomorrow or the next day anyway and tell you what I think. :wink:

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

yeah, I did an alternate version of ep 26 where I bumped up George's volume to (roughly) match the other two hosts, but this required a noise cleanup that left him sounding distorted. So that version wasn't used. I'm sure there's a way to do this on really pro software but my setup is pretty ghetto. I'm not doing this upcoming episode so maybe if someone here has some really nice editing setup they could try their luck?

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Yeah, all our quality problems are the result of cheap recording equipment and free recording/editing software. Most notably, my mic seems very happy to regulate my voice in annoying ways, which makes it hard to equalize, especially because I don't currently have a way to record separate tracks.

I will second Kereb's suggestion. He's not really my "official" editor, just somebody who is better at it than me who volunteered his time. If another skilled editor (particularly one with big boy editing software) would volunteer, I would appreciate it. I hate editing, and you guys have seen how poorly I measure up to someone who actually has some skill at it.
George Corley

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Darkgamma wrote:Fair enough.
You should've mentioned Lithuanian, though. It's the only IE language that had equated adjective comparation and some very interesting suppletion forms.
And you decided to ask this right in the middle of trashing an episode? I have had an open-handed policy towards guests, yes, but ... not the best timing, I think.
Why are you offended? I'm not trashing, I'm just giving criticism :?
sounds more like shooting yourself in the foot.
AFAIK, you even offered me a position once, on the CBB.
they might not want the attitude you just demonstrated.
MadBrain is a genius.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Ollock wrote:Most notably, my mic seems very happy to regulate my voice in annoying ways, which makes it hard to equalize, especially because I don't currently have a way to record separate tracks.
Something like that happens to me when I switch "Automatic Equalizing" (or similar) on in Skype. The volume of my mic starts to fluctuate wildly then.

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

Bristel wrote:
Guitarplayer wrote:
This should be an episode.
It would be too long. :P

Taernsietr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Taernsietr »

Guitarplayer wrote:
Ollock wrote:Most notably, my mic seems very happy to regulate my voice in annoying ways, which makes it hard to equalize, especially because I don't currently have a way to record separate tracks.
Something like that happens to me when I switch "Automatic Equalizing" (or similar) on in Skype. The volume of my mic starts to fluctuate wildly then.
Yup, both Skype and Windows (not sure about Mac) have this - if you speak too loudly or too "forcefully" into the microphone, it'll bump the volume down. If it gets a low input, it comes back up. The better setup for a podcast, IMO, would be disabling any automatic volume control and simply avoiding kissing the mic...

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Taernsietr wrote:
Guitarplayer wrote:
Yup, both Skype and Windows (not sure about Mac) have this - if you speak too loudly or too "forcefully" into the microphone, it'll bump the volume down. If it gets a low input, it comes back up. The better setup for a podcast, IMO, would be disabling any automatic volume control and simply avoiding kissing the mic...
OK, I'm going to have to find those settings, then.
George Corley

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

Ollock did you receive and upload the smaller mp3?