Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #94: Face and Politeness)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #30: Numerals)

Post by Ollock »

Guitarplayer wrote:To be honest, I'm having some difficulties listening to you in that one, Ollock. Your way of speaking is a little disjointed at times.
That's what happens when you take my normal halting and cluttering speech and automatically remove the pauses. It would be much more insufferable with all my pauses left in.
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Ollock wrote:Conlangery #30: Numerals is out! I liked it. Not sure if everyone will :P
I liked it very much. going to re-listen to it again later.
MadBrain is a genius.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

when Bianca was talking about half five, it's 4:30 in basically all other Germanic languages, in which it means something like "halfway to 5", but 5:30 in BrE, where it's explicitly a shortening of "half past five". I'm also somewhat interested in how Americans say times other than that, because while we almost exclusively use "past" and "to", I've heard "of", "after", "before", and various other prepositions from American mouths. I also hear you hardly ever use the 24 hour clock – I mean we don't use it in speech but it's used all the time in timetables and suchlike...

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

finlay wrote:I'm also somewhat interested in how Americans say times other than that, because while we almost exclusively use "past" and "to", I've heard "of", "after", "before", and various other prepositions from American mouths.
I just read off the numbers because I still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea, but I've heard 'til, to, and past.
finlay wrote:I also hear you hardly ever use the 24 hour clock – I mean we don't use it in speech but it's used all the time in timetables and suchlike...
Yeah, people think it's "military time" only. By the way, in Japan you'll occasionally see "Tues. 26h30m" used to mean Wed 0230, I don't know if any other culture does that. It's certainly convenient for people who stay up late.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I had heard that. Makes sense really; as far as I'm concerned it's still Sunday until around dawn. (I've been recording what films I watch for 5 years now, and I consistently use 6 am as my rule for cutting off what day it is rather than midnight... because it's generally the hour at which I'm most consistently asleep...)

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Bob Johnson wrote:
finlay wrote:I also hear you hardly ever use the 24 hour clock – I mean we don't use it in speech but it's used all the time in timetables and suchlike...
Yeah, people think it's "military time" only.
So I found out yesterday... I finally got the miniature travel clock thing my uncle got me from somewhere in America working, and I got very cross because there's no option to change it from AM/PM to 24 hours, because I don't like digital clocks being on AM/PM. ¬¬

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

finlay wrote:when Bianca was talking about half five, it's 4:30 in basically all other Germanic languages, in which it means something like "halfway to 5", but 5:30 in BrE, where it's explicitly a shortening of "half past five". I'm also somewhat interested in how Americans say times other than that, because while we almost exclusively use "past" and "to", I've heard "of", "after", "before", and various other prepositions from American mouths. I also hear you hardly ever use the 24 hour clock – I mean we don't use it in speech but it's used all the time in timetables and suchlike...
I think the only place it's common to find 24-hour time in the US is in the military. Probably, why I've also heard it called 'military time.'
Most places will use a.m./p.m. because most Americans don't know how to use 24-hour time.

In my experience, I'd say 'past' and 'to' are most common but 'before,' 'after,' and 'till' are used as well. Actually, I might use 'till' more than 'to.' (And of course over here no has 'till')
Astraios wrote: So I found out yesterday... I finally got the miniature travel clock thing my uncle got me from somewhere in America working, and I got very cross because there's no option to change it from AM/PM to 24 hours, because I don't like digital clocks being on AM/PM. ¬¬
That's lame and a bit weird. All digital clocks/watches I've bought were able to switch to 24 hour time.
I usually use 24 hour on my watches because there was a situation when a hurricane knocked out my power and I mixed up the am/pm. >_>

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I use analogue clocks/watches usually, which are obviously 12h, although my computer clock is 24h (so is my phone and any other digital clock I happen to use)

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

If I'm reading the time off my analog watch I'm more likely to say something like "just past quarter to 10" instead of "13 minutes to 10" or "twenty-one forty-seven". Usually that's accurate enough. I hate it when digital clocks run in 12-hour mode, too, since 24-hour mode is firmly established here.

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

A new episode is out: Conlangery #31: Demonstratives

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

I think you can safely edit out the discussion about William robotting again in future episodes.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Guitarplayer wrote:I think you can safely edit out the discussion about William robotting again in future episodes.
I thought about it, but in truth I felt it was too short to bother editing it out. Yes, Conlangery is an edited show, but it's not scripted, and I want it to be live-to-tape as much as possible, so I don't always edit out small digressions and such. Mostly I remove all the awkward pauses (which otherwise would make my side of the conversation quite unbearable).
George Corley

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #31: Demonstratives)

Post by finlay »

also, we gave you an award. i don't know whether you noticed or not.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

finlay wrote:also, we gave you an award. i don't know whether you noticed or not.
Shows are recorded in advance, so he can't have mentioned that on air yet.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Guitarplayer wrote:
finlay wrote:also, we gave you an award. i don't know whether you noticed or not.
An award? Wait, I didn't see it. Where?
George Corley

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Radius Solis wrote:Special Award for Outstanding Services to Conartistry - Receiving all 11 of the votes that were cast, Ollock gets this award for the Conlangery Podcast! Congratulations, Ollock; the community clearly appreciates what you have done. Keep up the good work!

Congratulations to all our winners.
Oh, wow, thanks! I will say that I couldn't possibly do this without my cohosts: Bianca, William, and even Tomás even if he hasn't shown up since episode 1. Me talking to myself for an hour is not something you want to hear. I also would thank DJP for donating LCS webspace and helping me get set up there, and all the people who emailed, commented, tweeted, or otherwise contributed ideas and content for the podcast. I couldn't have found half of the stuff we talk about without some help from the community.

I'll make sure to make a formal mention of this for the next recording. I'll probably quickly review all the other awards, too.
George Corley

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Guitarplayer wrote:
I know (and I haven't actually listened to the latest episode yet) – I just got the impression he hadn't been checking NOTA.

Of course, it's not to say that everyone else didn't do their part and be awesome, it's just you're still the one spearheading it.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Hey, all those people who are complaining that they can't get back episodes through iTunes: I think I fixed it!
George Corley

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

[ˈvakʰɹ̩naːɡəɫ.ˈpʰaːɹɾɪkʰɫ̩] made me chuckle :P Sounds way more funny in English than it sounds in German :)

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Conlangery Podcast (Latest Ep: #32: Evidentials)

Post by Ollock »

George Corley

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I think the term for "big toe" you are looking for is "hallux", borrowed from Latin.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Eddy wrote:I think the term for "big toe" you are looking for is "hallux", borrowed from Latin.
We mention it in the outtakes (I think Bianca found it after the show was over). Also, I believe that there was an afterthought Will forgot to mention in the episode proper that I put in the outtakes, so be sure to listen after the outro music.
George Corley

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Ollock wrote:We mention it in the outtakes (I think Bianca found it after the show was over). Also, I believe that there was an afterthought Will forgot to mention in the episode proper that I put in the outtakes, so be sure to listen after the outro music.
Oh, heh, my bad, I suppose.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I've studied English prosody a bit during my undergrad linguistics degree so if you want I could come up with a few things to say about it. I'm not too clued up on the prosody of other languages, however, so it might end up being uninteresting.