How to design a non-European phonology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
----
Smeric
Smeric

Re: How to design a non-European phonology

Post by ---- »

TaylorS wrote:
Theta wrote:This is kind of not really that big of a thing but I've noticed that SAE languages really don't ever have back unrounded vowels.
English has /V/.
Well I've read in a couple places that it's not truly a back vowel and is actually more central. And as for the /a/ thing I was really talking about the higher ones, i.e. /ɤ ɯ/

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Slavic langs are considered SAE, and there are SAEish conlangs (Ilian) with unrounded back vowels.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Nortaneous wrote:
Chuma wrote:That thing about double versus long consonants I don't get. Is there an actual phonetic difference, or are they just analysed differently by tradition?
Wikipedia: "Strong phonemes are characterized by the intensiveness (tension) of the articulation. The intensity of the pronunciation leads to a natural lengthening of the duration of the sound, and that is why strong [consonants] differ from weak ones by greater length. [However,] the adjoining of two single weak sounds does not produce a strong one […] Thus, the gemination of a sound does not by itself create its tension."
What's the url for that? I looked at this, but to me it seems like like if it's the same as fortis consonants, then it's better to just call them long.
Nortaneous wrote:tl;dr: they can contrast with geminated consonants
Do you know of any examples?

EDIT: Never mind, it was the article on Archi. Though I still don't understand what these strong consonants really are. :?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Nortaneous wrote:
- four degrees of vowel height
How does that work?
[i e æ a] - that would make four heights, right? (Or maybe the æ is an ɛ, I can't tell. But I have æ on my keyboard. :P )

Another thing - I think someone said that a typical European thing is to have more fricatives than stops. How about it?

Plusquamperfekt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Plusquamperfekt »

Thanks for the information:

http://conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Miwonsa

Miwonša sounds a bit as if a Navajo tried to speak Polish, I think... or maybe a Russian Quechua? :?

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Nortaneous wrote:
Darkgamma wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:
finlay wrote:
Darkgamma wrote:My German has /t/ /dt/ /d/ from unvoiced to mixed to fully voiced :/
Examples?
"Stadt" which I, for some wierd reason, contrast with "statt"
EDIT: Also, my <d>s devoice to /dt/ in compounds and /t/ in roots...
Bad [bat] but Badeanzug [bad͡tənaut͡suk]
Hmm. That's interesting. Do you have sound clips? Also, how would you pronounce "Städte"?
I don't have soundclips because I lack a mic :D
"Städte" would be like [ʃtɛd͡te] or [ʃtɛt:e], but more like something in between "Stadt" and "statt" (fortis seems quite a neat explanation "Städte" I'd say)
This does appear quite strange... I don't know if anyone else has this.
Any Austrian or Ländlemann, or even a fellow Bavarian to confirm that this isn't just plain local?
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

This is great, and I may make use of it next time I design a phonology, but I think it's important to note that a phonology (or at least a phoneme inventory) like this doesn't necessarily scream "European!" in the same way that, say, the SAE morphosyntax would. The set of phonemes in Japanese, for example, is fairly close to that of several European languages. Personally I'd say that the big thing that I see conlangers doing (and I'm guilty of this myself) that makes their languages look overly European is to use lots and lots of fricatives.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Chuma wrote:Another thing - I think someone said that a typical European thing is to have more fricatives than stops. How about it?
Probably. I'm not sure if there's even a way to pull off a voicing distinction in fricatives without seeming European, but it can probably be done somehow, I guess.
Plusquamperfekt wrote:http://conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Miwonsa

Miwonša sounds a bit as if a Navajo tried to speak Polish, I think... or maybe a Russian Quechua? :?
Looks like a SAE conlang to me, probably mostly because of the phonotactics. It doesn't look like a European lang per se, but SAE conlangs don't necessarily need to; zompist's langs don't, and most of them are SAE as hell.
Curlyjimsam wrote:This is great, and I may make use of it next time I design a phonology, but I think it's important to note that a phonology (or at least a phoneme inventory) like this doesn't necessarily scream "European!" in the same way that, say, the SAE morphosyntax would. The set of phonemes in Japanese, for example, is fairly close to that of several European languages.
Right. Phonotactics are an important part of it; CV langs don't look European at all. With the same phoneme inventory, you can have words like staun doroti donai taunkwom strekasku (European), nintendo mitsubishi hentai (Japanese), rdjong sdrup brgedk dbang kan (Tibetan), gawarrate ragawayye kewarra kangaruye (Australian), etc.

edit: Tsou has a phonology that could be called SAE if you ignore the implosives, but...

Plusquamperfekt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Plusquamperfekt »

Looks like a SAE conlang to me, probably mostly because of the phonotactics. It doesn't look like a European lang per se, but SAE conlangs don't necessarily need to; zompist's langs don't, and most of them are SAE as hell.
OK, let's check (green = true, red = false, blue = partly yes, partly no) ;)

* absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular
* phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA
* initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed
* no initial velar nasal
a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy
only pulmonic consonants
no phonation or secondary articulation contrasts on vowels
at least three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u)
lack of lateral fricatives and affricates
two series of coronals
lack of a tone or register system
at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel

I'm ashamed of my phonology :mrgreen:

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Nortaneous wrote:Nintendo mitsubishi hentai
Oh my
Plusquamperfekt wrote:
OK, let's check (green = true, red = false, blue = partly yes, partly no) ;)

* phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA
* no initial velar nasal
a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy
only pulmonic consonants
two series of coronals
at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel

I'm ashamed of my phonology :mrgreen:
Your conlang is less European than German :D

* absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular - (Bach vs. back, /baχ/ vs. /bak/)
* no initial velar nasal
* a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy
* only pulmonic consonants
* no phonation or secondary articulation contrasts on vowels
* at least three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) - (German has what, 4 or 5 or more? I'd say 7: [a] [æ] [e] [ɛ] [ə] [ɪ] [ʊ] [y] [ʏ] [o] [ø] if we count unstressed long and short vowels, too. )
* lack of lateral fricatives and affricates
* two series of coronals
* lack of a tone or register system
* at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel - (/s/ /z/ /ʃ/ /m/ /n/ /ŋ/ /l/ /r/ /j/, only one semivowel)
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Great, now I have to do this for all of my conlangs. Numbering them to make it easier: (blue = partially true)

1. absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular - (Bach vs. back, /baχ/ vs. /bak/)
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA
3. initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed
4. no initial velar nasal
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy
6. only pulmonic consonants
7. no phonation or secondary articulation contrasts on vowels
8. three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u)
9. lack of lateral fricatives and affricates
a. two series of coronals
b. lack of a tone or register system
c. at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel

Kannow: --3---78-abc: 4+2
a: five coronal series
c: one fricative, five nasals, one liquid, one semivowel of limited distribution

Tharu: 1-3--6789-bc: 4+4
1: not phonemically, but velar+l clusters are realized as uvulars
8: vowel inventory /a e i 1 u/; could be analyzed as two or three degrees
b: stress accent
c: one semivowel

Enzielu: 1-3-56789abc: 7+4
5: stop+stop clusters allowed
8: vowel inventory /a E e i u/; could be analyzed as two or three degrees
a: four coronal series
c: one semivowel

Proto-Kett: 1-34-6789a-c: 8+1
a: four coronal series

Insular Kett: 1-34567-9abc: 7+3
4: loanwords only
a: weird shit, probably three series

Continental Kett: 1-3--6789a-c: 8+0

Arve: -2---67-9abc: 1+6
2: aspiration
6: ejectives are marginal
7: in some dialects
9: in some dialects
a: three coronal series

Total: (7 langs listed)

Code: Select all

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   a   b   c
4+1 0+1 6+0 1+1 1+1 6+1 6+1 2+3 5+1 1+4 2+3 4+3
So, not surprisingly, my langs tend to come out about as European as I want them to be.
Darkgamma wrote:* absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular - (Bach vs. back, /baχ/ vs. /bak/)
No. It's [baχ], but /bax/. The allophones of that fricative never contrast.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Nortaneous wrote:
Darkgamma wrote:* absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular - (Bach vs. back, /baχ/ vs. /bak/)
Truth, but it does quite seem that it's rather /baχ/ than /bax/ since /χ/ occurs in more forms (/x/ occurs with /a/ and /o/, /χ/ with all of the other vowels). Btw the underlyinɡ form of <ch> is actually /ç/, so it'd be more like /baç/ vs. /bak/, so it's contrasting palatals vs. velars, which is still (almost?) never seen in SAE.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Nortaneous wrote:
Guys, it doesn't matter. Contrasting a uvular fricative with a velar plosive does not necessarily make the POA distinction phonemic, so who cares? Not every phonetic feature of a word represents a phonemic distinction. You have to find a minimal pair where the manner of articulation is the same before you can talk about this seriously.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Mbwa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mbwa »

Inspiring. Props for the effort.
p_>-ts_>k_>-k_>k_>-pSSSSS

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Ok, I'll do this, just for fun. Not about to change anything, though. Aeruyo phonology has had enough changes already.

absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular
phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA (Aeruyo used to have this, but I changed the plosive series to aspirated/unaspirated)
initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed (interestingly, this is accidental. I meant to make Aeruyo CV, but I accidentally made a couple words with [plosive]rV, and ended up keeping them)
no initial velar nasal(no velar nasal at all)
a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy (I only allow plosive + r, so this is a partial, maybe)
only pulmonic consonants
at least three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) (I happen to like five-vowel systems)
two series of coronals (maybe a marginal. I contrast dental and alveolar, but it's only a single distinction between /s/ and /θ/)
at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel (four fricatives, in fact)
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Ancaron:
* initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed (no initial clusters of any type allowed. These do appear allophonically though)
* no initial velar nasal (No velar nasal at all, except allophonically)
* a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy (Inter syllabic clusters can be anything)
* at least three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u)
* two series of coronals
* at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel (no semivowels. Is /r/ a liquid? If it is, there's two)

Myonian
* no initial velar nasal
* a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy

* two series of coronals (3, actually. Does that count as different?)
* lack of a tone or register system (Pitch accent system, I think that counts)
* at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel

What did you expect? It's a Germanic lang.

Zukish
* no initial velar nasal
(again, no velar nasal at all.)
* a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy (Nope, they can get weird. /lj/ /ml/ /znθ/ anyone?)
* two series of coronals
* at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel

Zukish is more European than Myonian?

Zceikca (Not an in progress language, but it's weird. And related to Zukish)
* phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA (Unless ejectives count, also only in plosives)
* initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed (No initial clusters)
* no initial velar nasal (initial velar [and uvular] nasals exist)
* a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy (Inter syllabic clusters can be anything again)
* only pulmonic consonants (ejectives!)
* two series of coronals
* at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel (No semivowels. /l/ and /ʟ/ for the liquids...)
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Baranxe'i:
phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA
initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed (exist marginally in two roots, draim-, prit-, and clusters from earlier stop+sonorant)
no initial velar nasal
a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy (no initital p/t/b/d/g+sibilant stops, only [kʃ]-; also initial /xp, xt, xk/)
only pulmonic consonants
at least three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) (four degrees)
two series of coronals (well, three-way distinction in fricatives, but only one POA of stops)
at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel ([w] only occurs in some dialects as an allophone of /β/)

Asuāneica:
absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular (/ʁ/ contrasts with /ɣ/, and /ʔ/ from earlier /q/ is phonemic)
phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA (labialisation has become phonemic)
initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed (again, marginal in a few roots)
no initial velar nasal
only pulmonic consonants
no phonation or secondary articulation contrasts on vowels (most dialects have a distinction of plain v. rhotic vowels due to partial loss of /ɻ/)
at least three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) (four degrees)
two series of coronals (dental-retroflex distinction in stops, dental-alveolar-retroflex distinction in fricatives)
at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel (has /ɻ ɣ ʁ/, but phonotactically, /ɣ ʁ/ mostly pattern as fricatives with /ʁ/ in a transition stage; but there's no /l/)

Proto-Aketamsei: (i.e., the ancestor of the other two)
absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular (full opposition of a velar and a uvular series)
phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA (voicing, palatalisation and aspirated/breathy)
initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed
no initial velar nasal
only pulmonic consonants
no phonation or secondary articulation contrasts on vowels (most dialects have a distinction of plain v. rhotic vowels due to partial loss of /ɻ/)
two series of coronals (dental v. alveolar)
at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel (no fricatives)
Last edited by MisterBernie on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Nortaneous wrote:Great, now I have to do this for all of my conlangs.
:cry: me too.

Standard Sentalian:
1. absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA (Ejective plosives)
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy Coda clusters don't adhere to the sonority hierarchy.
6. only pulmonic consonants Ejective plosives.
8. three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) Four degrees of vowel height.
9. lack of lateral fricatives and affricates Allophonic for some /tl/ clusters.
a. two series of coronals has /ɕ/ but not a whole series of coronals.
c. at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel It has /ʋ l j w/ as its approximants – which count as liquids and which as semivowels. It doesn't have an R/L distinction, which should really be an item on this list.

Kanteian
1. absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular There is a palatal/uvular contrast in fricatives – it should probably be 'analysed' as palatal/velar, however, at least diachronically.
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA
3. initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed Heterorganic only.
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy Except no sibilant+stop clusters.
c. at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel

Rempocian:
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA voiceless, voiced, aspirated contrast.
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy
8. three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) three degrees in short vowels, four in long vowels.
9. lack of lateral fricatives and affricates Allophonic in some /tl/ clusters.
a. two series of coronals One series plus /ʃ/.
c. at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel Has R/L contrast, but has no W, similarly to German.

Vidoan:
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA unaspirated/aspirated contrast.
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy No consonant cluster allowed initially/finally.
a. two series of coronals One series plus /ʃ/.

Facurian:
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy Not fully worked out consonant cluster restrictions yet.
8. three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) Shows a similar mid-vowel merger to Mybutan and Dotolian but handles it differently, so that I would say it still has four vowel heights but /e ɛ/ and /o ɔ/ can be considered "long"/"short" pairs sometimes.
9. lack of lateral fricatives and affricates Not sure, might retain those from standard Sentalian.
a. two series of coronals one series plus /ɕ/ again.

Mybutan:
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA Ejectives
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy Not fully worked out consonant cluster restrictions yet. Mybutan and Facurian are schwa-dropping dialects, which means that they allow more clusters than other dialects.
8. three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) /eː ɛ/ and /oː ɔ/ pairs on mid vowels as result of a merger.
a. two series of coronals /tʃ dʒ/ gained from various sources including the lateral affricates in standard Sentalian.
c. at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel No /ʋ/ or /j/ from standard Sentalian; only approximants are /l w/.

Dotolian:
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy no sibilant+stop clusters, some coda clusters that don't adhere.

OH, and those are all varieties of the same system. I've still got three unrelated conlangs:

Panceor:
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA No phonemic voicing oppositions.
3. initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed Cl and Cr along with rC and lC are allowed.
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy It's not a "wide" variety, but /st/ is a valid cluster anywhere (and arguably patterns like a plosive in many places; it also has one grapheme <c>, at least in the romanization).
a. two series of coronals (I've analysed it with dental /t n l/ and alveolar /ts s r/)
c. at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel The two fricatives are /v s/, and I've been thinking of changing /v/ to /ʋ/ just to be screwy (but this would kinda be imitating Sentalian to a degree); this would then violate the constraint.

Umpát:
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA No phonemic voicing oppositions.
8. three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) /a i u/
c. at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel One fricative, two nasals, one liquid, no semivowels; however, stops fricativise in the coda, so in the coda there are 3 fricatives.

Yaufulti (Western):
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA Usually no phonemic voicing contrast but some situations could arise due to consonant harmony.
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy No clusters.
8. three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) /i u ɛ ɑ/
9. lack of lateral fricatives and affricates Allophonic/due to consonant harmony.
a. two series of coronals ????
c. at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel 4/1/1/1

Yaufulti (Eastern):
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA Contrast between /x ɣ/.
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy No clusters.
8. three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) /i u æ ɑ/
9. lack of lateral fricatives and affricates Allophonic/due to consonant harmony.
a. two series of coronals ????
c. at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel No nasals.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Darkgamma wrote:Truth, but it does quite seem that it's rather /baχ/ than /bax/ since /χ/ occurs in more forms (/x/ occurs with /a/ and /o/, /χ/ with all of the other vowels). Btw the underlyinɡ form of <ch> is actually /ç/
Technically, yes, but I call it /x/ because that's easier to type.
so it's contrasting palatals vs. velars, which is still (almost?) never seen in SAE.
English: pair, tear, chair, care

Although in most SAE langs, both nat and con, the 'palatal' series usually consists of postalveolar sibilants.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Dammit.

phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same PoA and MoA

initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed (yes, but very limited: /p k q/ + /ɾ/ are the only permitted onset clusters)
no initial velar nasal (no velar nasals except allophonically)
a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy (sorta, but for the most part the only clusters are intervocalic CC or CTɾ clusters, where T is a stop, and these cannot violate the sonority hierarchy by their nature...)
only pulmonic consonants (ejectives!)
three degrees of vowel height (minimum inventory i e a o u) (anywhere from two to four degrees of vowel height, depending on how you analyze it. But the inventory is ~/i o ɛ a/, so it is smaller than that minimum inventory.)
two series of coronals (four series, actually!)
at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel (it is kind of questionable if I should consider /ɾ/ a liquid, considering its phonotactic constraints...)

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Kinál:
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA - Kinál distinguishes between only ejective and unvoiced.
4. no initial velar nasal - velar nasal can appear in any position
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy - Ki. allows tons of different consonant clusters, however, they don't tend to appear this way because of the language's structure.
6. only pulmonic consonants - ejective stops and an ejective affricate
9. lack of lateral fricatives and affricates - phonology includes an alveolar lateral fricative and a rare allophone of it, a velar lateral fricative
c. at least two of each of the following type of consonant: fricative, nasal, liquid, semivowel - 3 fricatives, 2 nasals, liquids are absent, semivowels (/w/ and /j/) are rare and only occur after some vowels

I think it's safe to say that my conlang is quite un-SAE :mrgreen:

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Sorry for the spammies, I think it is necessary.

(green = true, red = false, blue = partly yes, partly no)
Poswa:
1. absence of phonemic opposition velar/uvular - (Bach vs. back, /baχ/ vs. /bak/)

Poswa is 100% SAE.

Pabappa:
3. initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed (this is just barely true ... one sequence, /bl/, makes up more than half of the word-initial consonant clusters)
5. a wide variety of allowable clusters that, except for those that contain a sibilant and a stop, all adhere to the sonority hierarchy True but they are rare.
So Pabappa is still pretty close.

Kuroras:
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOA There is a three way distinction between kʰ/k/g etc, but the voiced stops are quite rare
3. initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowed Initial clusters of all types are rare
7. no phonation or secondary articulation contrasts on vowelsHas phrayngealized vowels.
b. lack of a tone or register systemThere are four tones.
So about 50-60% depending on how you weigh the blues.

Andanese: (a language with an extremely minimal phonology whose historical homeland is only a few miles away from Pabappa's, but which died out 4000 years ago)
2. phonemic voicing oppositions (/p/ vs. /b/ etc.) as the only distinctions between sounds with the same POA and MOANo, only because there are no distincitons. There are only nine consonants and three vowels.
3. initial consonant clusters of the type "stop+sonorant" allowedNo clusters.
Also 50.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Theta wrote:Well I've read in a couple places that it's not truly a back vowel and is actually more central.
It depends on the dialect. For me it's fully back [V], not [3].

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

TaylorS wrote:
Theta wrote:Well I've read in a couple places that it's not truly a back vowel and is actually more central.
It depends on the dialect. For me it's fully back [V], not [3].
[3]? What are you talking about? That's the rhotic vowel in British English, and nothing in American English. Maybe you mean to say your idiolect has [V] instead of [6]?
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Since I'm too tired to write the next post tonight, I guess I can do this for my temporarily shelved conlangs also...

Gadaye: 12-4-6-8-ab-: 6+1
4: no phonemic nasals, but [N] appears as an allophone of /g/ before nasal vowels

Hathe: 1--4-6-89a--: 4+2
6: are glottal stops counted as pulmonic?
a: contrast between /s D/, but that can be analyzed as a voice contrast

Kanagy: 1--4-6--9ab-: 5+1
4: no phonemic nasals, but [N_j] appears as an allophone of /g_j/ before nasal vowels

Ketas: ---4-6--9-b-: 3+1
6: as in Hathe

Kastas: 12---67---b-: 4+1
2: only such distinction is /s z/

Tnerakhii (name subject to change): -------89a--: 2+1
a: three series

Damn, now I want to change Tnerakhii to not fill any of them. :P All I'd have to do is add another two vowels and a lateral fricative, but it already has clicks, epiglottals, creaky and breathy voice, and 8 POAs, so...