Akana Conlang Relay 2011 (The Never Ending Relay)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Akana Conlang Relay 2011 (The Never Ending Relay)

Post by Pole, the »

What about making the 2012/13 subforum public?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

♥hentai♥emo♥girl♥ wrote:What about making the 2012/13 subforum public?
I would second this, tho there's so little at least on my former team's side.
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Vidurnaktis wrote:
♥hentai♥emo♥girl♥ wrote:What about making the 2012/13 subforum public?
I would second this, tho there's so little at least on my former team's side.
Sure. The secret boards are publicly viewable now.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

I've found the time (and file) to put my current notes on T1 reconstruction in an open-access Google doc, here.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

♥♥♥

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

Here's the in-progress lexicon of Ȃicethean (Proto-Northeastern Bay).

Also @duke I took the liberty of adding Ȃicethean to your reconstruction, tho you'll have to rework some of the correspondences.

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

So, another year goes by. After four years the relay is still unresolved, isn't it? :P

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

That's why it's called the "Never Ending Relay". :P

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Hello all - good to see this is still going! I have two things to say:

Firstly, CatDoom, those are brilliant maps. :) As Cedh points out, the base map isn't quite current, but this sort of overview - and so well presented - is really good to have.

Secondly, I think it's reasonable now to post the PT1 and PT2 languages, as reconstruction seems to have stopped. I'm still living a pretty busy life but I'll post the grammar sketch of PT2 (Proto-Dumic) as soon as I get the time, provided that nobody objects.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I longed to see a reconstruction of Proto-T1.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Well, I'm not insistent on the original being released; but I simply don't have the long periods of time that I would need to pursue a reconstruction. Real life is quite busy for me and my conlanging is going to remain intermittent for the foreseeable future.

On a brighter note, I have remembered to link my lexical comparison doc from the wiki here for anyone who feels like picking up from where I left off.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

What do you all think about just opening one half of the game, i.e. making the Team 2 part public without spoiling the other half?

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

I'm entirely happy with that.

Barring any objections, I'll start uploading T2 information when I am next free, which will be on the 24th or 25th of January. Does that sound reasonable?

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

I agree, we probably should have opened up the T2 part of the relay a while ago, when Pole finished the vocab reconstruction page. So yes, let's do that now.

Also, Duke, thanks a lot for publishing your work-in-progress T1 spreadsheet! I've been modifying it on it on and off over the last week, adding some missing vocabulary and a basic semantic classification of lexemes for easier sorting. When I'm done with that (hopefully tonight or tomorrow), I think I'll start a new thread here to open up reconstruction of Proto-T1 as a challenge to the whole ZBB, which seems the best way for generating enough interest and momentum for actually getting a result. What do you think?

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

I apologise for my many absences and for changing my own information so often (I often revise things too much it has been said, between that and changing PCs without making sure my work was properly backed-up). Four years just about, it's probably gone on too long. Tho unlike the other reconstruction game (from 2012-13) there still seems to be quite a bit of interest in this one, rather this one didn't explode and burn out quickly. I think it'd be interesting to see how the rest of the board reconstructs our proto-language tho, we should have more than enough information overall.

Also, are we not using the other spreadsheet? This one doesn't have any of the updated information I had provided. I can reinput what I have tho if anything.

My Conlangs (WIP):

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

I'm absolutely in favour of that. And thank you for your extensive work improving the spreadsheet!
I think we should keep a copy of the doc as it is now (or once you've modified/extended it to your satisfaction) so it's not rendered unusable by well-meaning ZBBers, though. ;)

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Vidurnaktis wrote:Also, are we not using the other spreadsheet? This one doesn't have any of the updated information I had provided. I can reinput what I have tho if anything.
Yes, please do so. Just add a new column for Icetha and input your lexicon and pronoun/numbers/morphology data.
the duke of nuke wrote:I think we should keep a copy of the doc as it is now (or once you've modified/extended it to your satisfaction) so it's not rendered unusable by well-meaning ZBBers, though. ;)
I'll make a copy in my own Google Drive (and again once Vidurnaktis has added his Icetha data); it's probably best if you do the same so we have two copies. I'll write up the game information later today, otherwise I think I'm done now.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

the duke of nuke wrote:On a brighter note, I have remembered to link my lexical comparison doc from the wiki here for anyone who feels like picking up from where I left off.
I can see that grammatical words from Tari should be added there.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Added. Also, the T2 secret forum is now publicly viewable.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

What regarding the Proto-Dumic wiki article? Are we supposed to have two separate pages: the ‘reconstructed’ state and the ‘actual’ one? Are there people willing to fill in the daughter language articles with all the data that had been secret?

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Yes, and yes.
I support TheDevilcat's decision to move the original pages to a "(reconstructed)" version; I'll upload things to the original "Proto-Dumic" location.
I will also be uploading grammatical and sound changes and (eventually) etymologies for Kataputi. Where the information is posted on the forum in an up-to-date form, I'll do this for other Dumic languages.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

the duke of nuke wrote:Yes, and yes.
I support TheDevilcat's decision to move the original pages to a "(reconstructed)" version; I'll upload things to the original "Proto-Dumic" location.
I will also be uploading grammatical and sound changes and (eventually) etymologies for Kataputi. Where the information is posted on the forum in an up-to-date form, I'll do this for other Dumic languages.
Thank you in advance.

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

What will the 2015 relay be? Antarctican languages? !Ho languages? Those are my suggestions.
Hello there. Chirp chirp chirp.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »