Akana Conlang Relay 2011 (The Never Ending Relay)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Akana Conlang Relay (Now with pumpkin.)

Post by Herr Dunkel »

brandrinn wrote:
Darkgamma wrote:
brandrinn wrote:Attention Team One: Potɑnsʉti is now officially up at the Akana wiki, although it is still a work in progress.
http://tzirtzi.ipage.com/akana/index.ph ... ns%CA%89ti
Hey, isn't that where I live?
I think you're just west of me.
When this image was posted, you said you wanted the coast just south of Rorshach. Note that my map is really zoomed in, so it looks like I cover more of the coast than I do.
Plus, I left lots of gaps, which you are free to fill.
Ah, I saw.
I'm on the other side of that river, it seems.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Earthling
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Earthling »

There's a more recent version of that map here (and also somewhere in this thread)
This post brought to your computer all the way from Earth.

caedes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by caedes »

brandrinn wrote:Attention Team One: Potɑnsʉti is now officially up at the Akana wiki, although it is still a work in progress.
http://tzirtzi.ipage.com/akana/index.ph ... ns%CA%89ti
The same counts for Wokatasuto.
Cuix ticpiä cuitlatl itic motzontecomauh ?

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Holy crap I'm falling behind too much.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Basilius
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Team Reconstruction Event Take II

Post by Basilius »

BTW...
cedh audmanh wrote:
Rorschach wrote:1. How long do we have to prepare the proto-lang and the daughters?
I think it would be good to have a fairly complete protolang sketch by the end of November, and to create the daughters before Christmas. However, the schedule naturally has to suit all players, and IMO it'd be better to have a slightly laxer schedule that allows more effort to be invested into the quality of the languages than to have a tight schedule that forces people to submit stuff that's not thought through, or worse, to drop out entirely.

(For me, personally, the period between Dec 25 and Jan 8 would be best for doing the reconstruction work. But of course that period would also be good for creating my daughterlang, with the reconstruction coming later.)
So I'm wondering: how many players will have their daughterlangs ready on Christmas?

WeepingElf said he wouldn't, and he's considering dropping away again. I won't be ready either. Of Team 2 members, Brandrinn, Duke and Caedes have advanced most, but I doubt if even they will finish everything in a day or two.

What about Team 1?
Basilius

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Not sure about Christmas. New Year's, maybe.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Rorschach, I believe you're a bit too optimistic ;)

Our protolang is not fully finished yet. I need to describe syntax and usage in more detail, so that we can all get a better understanding about how the language works. This is definitely necessary in order to be able to draw up realistic grammatical developments, and I doubt I'll be able to finish said description before New Year's Eve. It's true that some of us have started to work on their descendants already, but I think it will still take a few weeks before we're ready to provide enough daughterlang material to start a reconstruction from. Sorry for the delay!

communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by communistplot »

What's there to be sorry for? We'll be done when we're done and then we can have a whole bunch of interesting conlangs. That said, I've only recently begun sketching my daughterlang and want to really hold off on most work until the protolang is as done as can be.
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Team Reconstruction Event Take II

Post by Herr Dunkel »

I too am having troubles.
I have exams covering like 2/3 of January. Nasty shit
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Uh... So everybody's bailing on the Christmas deadline? Somehow I figured you'd all do this.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

brandrinn wrote:Uh... So everybody's bailing on the Christmas deadline? Somehow I figured you'd all do this.
I'm not bailing yet. I was planning to do that two weeks ago :)
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Earthling
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Earthling »

(Side note: Why is this thread called "Akana Conlang Relay (Now with pumpkin.)"?)

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Earthling wrote:(Side note: Why is this thread called "Akana Conlang Relay (Now with pumpkin.)"?)
It is a conlang relay set in Akana, and it has pumpkin.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Earthling
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Earthling »

Darkgamma wrote:
Earthling wrote:(Side note: Why is this thread called "Akana Conlang Relay (Now with pumpkin.)"?)
I don't see a pumpkin anywhere...

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

I should be finished a few days after New Year. On the other hand I'm away for the next six days, so I shall make little to no progress before the 30th.

Really, I'm not worried about when it all happens; I'm in favour of people working at their own pace (as much as reasonable). I don't like seeing people feeling pressured and leaving - WeepingElf dropping out saddens me, and I hope he will want to come back if the atmosphere of the relay, or at least the Team 2 side, becomes less stressful.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Corumayas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Corumayas »

brandrinn wrote:Uh... So everybody's bailing on the Christmas deadline? Somehow I figured you'd all do this.
...says the guy who never posted his lang at all in the last relay. :P

Seriously though, I realize I joined very late but I didn't know there ever was a deadline. Team 1 apparently had a bit of a bumpy start, and obviously noone can finish their daughterlang when the protolang isn't done yet. Nor should anyone be stressing out over something that's intended as a fun pastime.
Hüwryaasûr, priestess of the four hegemons, wrote:Ryunshurshuroshan, the floating lizard

Akana Wiki | Akana Forum

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Earthling wrote:
Darkgamma wrote:
I don't see a pumpkin anywhere...
I vote we append the epithet "Cursed Relay 2" as per the nickname Darkgamma gave this relay earlier on in this thread.
Last edited by Pogostick Man on Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Corumayas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Akana Conlang Relay (Standing Under the Mistletoe.)

Post by Corumayas »

Actually this is the fourth Akana relay (although the first one was called Historical Polyglottal Telephone at the time), and the second reconstruction game. And let's hope this one isn't cursed! The actual cursed relay, which was the second one, had several people's computers die while working on it (including mine).
Hüwryaasûr, priestess of the four hegemons, wrote:Ryunshurshuroshan, the floating lizard

Akana Wiki | Akana Forum

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Corumayas wrote:
What are you going on about? I posted Zele. I never posted it to the Akana wiki, which is probably what you're thinking of. The people who are actually into Akana itself did that, and reverse engineered the sound changes.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Alces
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Alces »

brandrinn wrote:
Corumayas wrote:
What are you going on about? I posted Zele. I never posted it to the Akana wiki, which is probably what you're thinking of. The people who are actually into Akana itself did that, and reverse engineered the sound changes.
I think Corumayas means the Western relay: http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?p=714207#p714207

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Alces wrote:
brandrinn wrote:
Corumayas wrote:
I think Corumayas means the Western relay: http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?p=714207#p714207
Oh yeah! You know, I actually made a daughter language for that, but it was so shit I just chucked it. Whatever, Merry Christmas folks. Here's hoping everybody's done by New Years.

SlayerXX33398
Sanci
Sanci

Post by SlayerXX33398 »

I'm thinking about dropping out, mainly due to my own reasons; I've just not been as interested in conlanging (which happens every month or two) as I was when I started the project. Hell, I still have yet to work out sound changes from the proto-lang. I'll think about it tonight, maybe I'll get stuff done. So, don't count me out just yet, but I might decide to drop out tomorrow.
TomCSLang, my conlang blog
Awakening at Bandcamp, my one-man-band. Demo goes online November 11!

Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

On that note, how is Team One coming along? Team Two seems to be mostly finished, although there's no way to be sure exactly when the final products will be uploaded. What's Team One's ETA, a week? Two weeks? A month?

Basilius
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Basilius »

brandrinn wrote:Team Two seems to be mostly finished, although there's no way to be sure exactly when the final products will be uploaded.
I have a couple really busy days ahead, and I've just started documenting my stuff. I won't upload anything before Wednesday I think, but I'd prefer a bit more relaxed schedule, to be able to polish my lexicon and quirkier bits of my grammar.

Also, I still hope WeepingElf will be back, if our deadlines aren't too tough (that seemed to be the main problem for him this time). And what Darkgamma has posted so far didn't look quite finalized.

There are gaps in our protolanguage too; I haven't raised a few topics (like formation of adverbs, for example) for I am unsure about WeepingElf's participation. If he isn't back, I suppose the work on remaining issues will slow down.

I don't think Team 1 is late with anything. Have your time guys, I expect tasty stuff from all of you, and especially from those whose eralier contributions I've seen :)
Basilius

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

I still need a break. This thing has become way too troublesome for me; feel free to add to the protolanguage as needed. At any rate, what I have achieved for a daughter language is here.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A