Himmaswa language

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Himmaswa language

Post by clawgrip »

Esmelthien wrote:a higher resolution pic of all the characters.
This I can do pretty easily. I have added 37 characters to the script since that last image was made, so this one contains a few new ones.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Esmelthien wrote: Also, can we get a somewhat larger text in Himmaswa?
Like something that could be the first page of a book, or something?
I have finally written something up. I had to create a lot of new characters for this! I may revise this text someday. I feel like it could be a little better.

Fkeupngom ler kangwau kui ler Ooksmaiygok
I. Soatjark situoon-perngjap-giau-orp bouñeudbuoon jart charng Ooksmaiy duatgeum flet pkooay ler jap-orp keun wiau moyl gaa'orp. Draychmui flet Plaak-dorng ler situoon-lsumjap-giau-orp Tmaakdmeuon-gluañgedraap ler Ooksmaiy tgem childooayp bouñeu sgiah'watbngoy sdaa kao gmangsar nung twarng Piangfau-koh. Ooksmaiy keuuyiam keun biatguoom pngom biangnker pngom tobor mgeng jootaa yiampang ler Himma gmangpiangkeuu bder cheunggna Ooksmaiy duatgedraap taiyng'lao aon tgerng ptiltaung kao Himma gmangsar.

Perng-chaot ler Uiyaung-dorng ler orp sgung Turchnor gmangfion bder childooayp sgiah'watbngoy ler gmangsar ptiah jap lui stoh ptiah draap nung aajung Diaugbiom-ge joon Piangfau-koh kao Glahbian-koh nteyplar ngotmjur lognom duat miltgem gnarkglah. Japsam-chaot dorng sgung sgiah'watbngoy flet Glahbian. Diaugbiom-ge hoongpaak pniahngten weup Tmaakdmeuon-gluañgedraap ler Ooksmaiy. Pniahngten mao tek ge jgeng gluañduat ñjohbtia sgiahtaung. Tmaakdmeuon-gluañgedraap chon gjosyo ler Ooksmaiy duatgeum aajung kwaut doy huoo duatpang ler Sompianggok aadang bouñeudbuoon tong sdaa huoo. Ge taiyng'lao cheu cheunggna gdaajao hoyblaa dang armgaot deuuksyo Diaugbiom-ge chai borm huoo ftek gmangsar ler Piangfau-koh slooayheat kao Himma gmangpiangkeuu bder.

Ot-chaot ler Onniak dorng ler orp sgung sgiah'watbngoy ftek flet Piangfau-koh tek gmangsarñjoh jgeng dang Turchnor gmangfion bder gdaa kchehslooay dua tui laoksorn. Gmangfion bder hoongheat bouñeudbuoon nek ptil ler Ooksmaiy fñurnuim sdaa gna sbiat lobnih bnarjoyk. Ot-chaot ler Woo dorng ler orp sgung Gmangfion bder ptin pleu poung yao dreungchdor arngtuoon luijap biakkeuu keuong dark kao Glahbian-koh nteyplar bouñeudbuoon nek ptil ler Ooksmaiy fñurnuim.

Ot-gwan bur draap aajung Yaanat-erñhok tgerng tuoon arngjap stoh tui je si mgoyng droy jiogwa kih Siang-gwa kao Kwaamen-pseupiang ley arng-gwan bur draap aajung Syapklung-erñhok tgerng perngjap stoh tui pauk je arng mgoyng droy jiogwa kih Siang-gwa pa tmeen ler Glakkach-koh. Ork mahtoy keuongkleh jiogwa kih Taksool-gwa kao Glunwneung-koh ler Waanhooay-geum ler Ooksmaiy-duat. Sam-gwan bur draap aajung Nopder-erñhok tgerng lsumjap stoh tui taampteuong ot-gwan bur tek jiogwa kao Kwaamen-pseupiang ley si-gwan bur draap aajung Larngdeek-erñhok tgerng lsumjap stoh tui taampteuong arng-gwan bur tek jiogwa kao Glunwneung-koh.

Ot-gwan bur draap aajung Yaanat-erñhok tgerng tuoon arngjap stoh tui je si mgoyng droy jiogwa kih Siang-gwa kao Kwaamen-pseupiang ley arng-gwan bur draap aajung Syapklung-erñhok tgerng perngjap stoh tui pauk je arng mgoyng droy jiogwa kih Siang-gwa pa tmeen ler Glakkach-koh. Ork mahtoy keuongkleh jiogwa kih Taksool-gwa kao Glunwneung-koh ler Waanhooay-geum ler Ooksmaiy-duat. Sam-gwan bur draap aajung Nopder-erñhok tgerng lsumjap stoh tui taampteuong ot-gwan bur tek jiogwa kao Kwaamen-pseupiang ley si-gwan bur draap aajung Larngdeek-erñhok tgerng lsumjap stoh tui taampteuong arng-gwan bur tek jiogwa kao Glunwneung-koh.

II. Sam-chaot ler dorng sgung ler orp sgung nteyplar Kwaamen-pseupiang bui dang duiloy sdaa Siang-gwa-glunmjeh cheung sar euuk Gloañsarkeuu liaung. Sompianggok nek Gloañsargok taungteuu dang wgoy ler Himma-bur beym keun duiloy yermeung glunmjeh euuk tek dray flet Glahbian-kban. Ot-gwan bur ler Yaanat-erñhok duitobor Waunaawattsua-koh ley bnar'oot pleu. Bur tobor dray jgeng moang gong ler Kwaamenpauchiglak-koh gaga-draapwiap ler Gloañsar nung deuukngo Hoygaiyp tui pgih pniah bur tek tui gder lognom bngoybook ork jgeng geumday ler Gloañsar. Yaanat-erñhok hoong warn-bur toykeuong kao Glahbian-koh charngnom jdeñflouk aadang duiloy ler Siang-gwa-glunmjeh hoongpaak bgaiy deu. Bnar peak pteuong yerklaang biadgorp. Hoygaiyp-draapwiap hoong Himma biangnker pleu cheung Ooksmaiy deuukplar lorkeech ley plarsdaa. Bngoybook keuong flet Glahbian nlooayk siang deuukplar-choymyout ach hwon aadang drayga Gloañsargok hoyblaa. Yaanat-erñhok blaagjiat dua dang laoksorn sark Himma-bur hoygnop borm huoo gna logeuu cheung tui treuk yoan biak jart turn Gloañsar dang Sompianggok bnar'oot beym peakpgih. Yaanat-erñhok sgiah'aa ptin childooayp kchehpaiytkeuu flet bur ler Nopder-erñhok.

Regarding the formation of Oksmesia
I. Beginning in the year 469 the tribute payments from the Oksme regions began to decrease in value every year, over a span of ten years. Eventually, in the month of Plaak of the year 479, the Oksme regional chairman Tmak Dmōen failed to send the required tribute-delegation to the imperial court in Piangfau. Although for many years there had been rumours regarding the discontent of the Oksme people as subjects of the Himma emperor, the Oksme chairman had insisted on his loyalty to the Himma court many times.

On the sixth day of the month of Uiyaung of the same year, the great emperor-king Turchnor sent a delegation consisting of ten men led by the official Diaugbiom from Piangfau to Grat Ben in order to investigate the cause of this breach of code. On the thirteen day of the same month, the delegation arrived in Grat Ben. Officer Diaugbiom requested an audience with chairman Tmak Dmōen of Oksme. The request was granted, and the officer entered the palace-building and paid the appropriate respects. Chairman Tmak Dmōen asserted that as Oksme was not a dependent region of Swamperia, there was no need to pay tribute. Although the officer insisted to the chairman that he was wrong, the chairman refused to acknowledge, and so officer Diaugbiom could not perform his assigned task and returned to the imperial court of Piangfau to explain the reprehensible incident to the great Himma emperor.

On the first day of the month of Onniak of the same year, the delegation returned to Piangfau and entered the imperial palace. Then the great emperor-king Turchnor, hearing the details, became enraged. The great emperor-king declared that the tribute payment and loyalty of Oksme must be acquired at any cost. On the first day of the month of Woo of the same year, the great emperor-king, without delay, assembled 250 soldiers to go soon to the city of Grat Ben in order to acquire the tribute payment and loyalty of Oksme.

The first squad, led by sub-general Yaanat and consisting of 120 members, boarded four boats and travelled up the Siang river toward the great Kwamen lake, and the second squad, led by sub-general Syapklung and consisting of 60 members, boarded two boats and travelled up the Siang river until before the city of Glakkach. Here, they changed course up the Taksool river toward the city of Grĕn Hnong of the Wan Hay region of Oksme province. The third squad, led by sub-general Nopder and consisting of 70 members, followed the first squad upriver toward Kwamen Lake, and the fourth squad, led by sub-general Larngdeek and consisting of 70 members followed the second squad upriver toward Grĕn Hnong.

II. On the third day of the same month of the same year, in order to reach Kwamen Lake, it was necessary to pass through the Siang river-exit, but this was under the control of the Inomos. As Swamperia and Inomo had an amiable relationship, the Himma squads intended to pass through this area and proceed to Grat Ben Bay. The first squad passed through Wanâwatswô without incident. The squad continued on, but as soon as it entered Kwâmempôchi-Galâka an Inomo leader named Honîgupa appeared to meet the squad and ask why this army had entered Inomo territory. Sub-general Yaanat declared that his squad was headed toward Grat Ben for official reasons, and that they were requesting passage through the Siang river-exit. An unexpected event occurred. Leader Honîgupa declared that although Inomo had no issue with Himma, their trade with Oksme was agreeable and necessary. Seeing an army headed for Grat Ben, it was thought that the trade relationship may be destroyed, and therefore Inomo must halt the procession. Sub-general Yaanat, having being rebuffed, then became enraged and explained that the Himma squad would not be halted by anyone, but he knew that if war were to erupt with Inomo, then many problems would occur in Swamperia. Sub-general Yaanat decided to wait and send a messenger to the squad of sub-general Nopder.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Himmaswa language (Longer sample text)

Post by Rui »

This language. It's sexy.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Himmaswa language (Longer sample text)

Post by clawgrip »

Thanks!

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Himmaswa language (types of clauses)

Post by clawgrip »

The recent TC about causatives got me thinking about the requirements for various types of clauses in Himmaswa, something I had been considering for a while, so I decided to sort those out definitively. There are four broad categories for parts of speech in Himmaswa: nouns, verbs, conjunctions, and particles, with nouns and verbs being the primary categories. Because of the high frequency of nouns and verbs, it was fairly easy to identify recurring clause patterns. I will include in this post a list of all the clause types I have identified, but first I need to outline the exact definitions of noun phrases and verb phrases. Partly through design but mainly through accident, the possibilities for NPs and VPs are extremely similar:

NP: noun/noun compound - (relative clause) - (particle)
VP: verb/verb compound - (noun phrase) (particle)

Examples of noun phrases:
Image hoach - blackwater.river - blackwater river
ImageImage key keun - sunset TPC - sunset

Examples of verb phrases:
Image mem - be.reckless (v) - to be reckless; to be rash
ImageImageImage je dua mgoyng - board PERF boat - to have boarded a boat

I have so far determined 6 specific clause types. There may be others that I haven't figured out yet, but this is what i have now. They are characterized and differentiated by which elements they allow or disallow.

1. Independent clauses:
- must not have a coordinator or subordinator;
- must have a topic;
- must appear first in a sentence;
- if the particle is an interrogative; the topic may in some cases be moved to the end of the sentence and become compounded with the particle.

Waak keun pdalsnuh lor yang.
meat TPC chicken be.good EMPH
I like chicken the best.

Ngtooh draymahcheu tui gmar logsar-ayt?
fork proceed-divert-be.wrong 3 be.present where-Q
Where is the fork in the road where you took a wrong turn?

2. Coordinated clauses:
- must have a coordinator;
- must have a topic;
- must occur with at least one other coordinated clause;
- must not occur with a independent clause.

Image / Image
Dang hwai chai / yoan duool paak-biangkeech.
then 1 do / if 2 request be.kind
I will do it if you ask me nicely.

3. Simple subordinated clauses:
- must have a subordinator (or coordinator functioning as a subordinator);
- may or may not have a topic;
- must occur with a independent clause;
- must not appear first in a sentence.

Image / Image / Image
Puh'oyk sgaiy / cheung tualiam chon / dang dooayp-ftek-taam arng-gwan-chaot goy-bo.
scenery be.beautiful / but weather be.bad / so leave return follow 2-ORD day EMPH EMPH
The scenery was beautiful, but the weather was bad, so we came back after the second day.

4. Complement clauses:
- may or may not have a complementizer in some cases;
- must have a topic if a complementizer is present;

For those of you who read this far, thank you! This type of clause works differently depending on which verb is used and the meaning intended. Originally I planned for this language to have no complementizers of any kind, but I changed my mind partially. The following sentence shows the typical syntax of a complement clause:

ImageImage / ImageImageImageImage
Hwai treuk / duool chai wui daak.
1 know / 2 do IMPERF EMPH
I know you still haven’t finished yet.

However, I decided to add a type of complementizer that only occurs in verbs that indicate requests, commands, suggestions, or basically any situation in which the speaker is imposing their desires or ideas on someone else. This complementizer is still optional in these cases. I haven't yet decided what type of pragmatic function using or not using this complementizer will have. Here is a sentence that uses it:

ImageImageImage / Image
Hwai plarsdaa / noh duool sder nteyfchaung ngoan euuk.
1 need / hit 2 fill flatten depression there.DIST
I need you to level out that depression over there.

5. Relative clauses:
- may or may not have a relativizer;
- must not have a topic (because the head noun occupies the topic role);
- must appear after a NP.

Image / Image
kban / nung nlooayk flet bochaot
bay / REL see arrive yesterday
the bay that we saw yesterday

6. Prepositional clauses:
- must not have a conjunction;
- must not have a topic;
- must not have a subject;
- must have an object;

Image / Image / Image
Mettuin-gyau twarng pkooay / ler Piangfau / nek Faalgong.
Mettuin-village be.located.at interval / belong Piangfau / associate.with Faalgong
The village of Mettuin is located between Piangfau and Faalgong.

For complement clauses, I'm thinking perhaps the optional complementizer noh should maybe be a type of softener meant to show that the speaker realizes that he placing the listener in some sort of imposition. I'm not sure though if I should add something to this, since there is already more than one final particle that serves this function. They can probably be combined for more complex pragmatic interactions. I don't know yet.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

For anyone who was interested in that historical thing I was writing, Here is a map of the area referenced. As you might guess, the central Himma region is very swampy.
Attachments
himmamap.jpg
himmamap.jpg (201.38 KiB) Viewed 25197 times

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

The map looks very good. Congrats! :)

Does the small river south of Twaajuk flow back below the ground surface or you haven't finished drawing that river?

Monk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Monk »

clawgrip wrote:A lengthy text full of win.
While this may seem somewhat far-fetched, is there a chance we may hear a recording of yours? Or at least a couple of lines?
Overwhelming hopelessness in the eyes of burned faces.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Before people congratulate me too much, I have to admit that I have been creating the maps for this world by merging various real-world maps. Therefore, I didn't actually design all these rivers myself, so I cannot take credit for things I did not do. However, it is still a lot of work to merge them seamlessly (I think this map incorporates three different real-world images), and I have re-drawn over all the rivers myself. I'm not sure what I will do with that other river.

As for recordings, maybe I will make one sometime. I have been considering it.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

2-4 wrote:Does the small river south of Twaajuk flow back below the ground surface or you haven't finished drawing that river?
I've connected this river (Jauday River) to the larger river (Siang River) near Snoohsgeu.

Cael
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Himmaswa language (regional map)

Post by Cael »

PRETTY SCRIPTY

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll assume not, so in that case thank you.

Cael
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Cael »

clawgrip wrote:Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll assume not, so in that case thank you.
I'm being quite the opposite of sarcastic. It is a really beautiful script :)

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Thank you Cael.

Here are the etymologies of a few characters I chose randomly, if anyone is interested in seeing more of how this script works.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

They're kind of fun to make, so I made a few more:

GrinningManiac
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GrinningManiac »

How did you do the map? I'm interested in splicing together some real-world maps myself. Where did you get the maps and how did you mesh them?

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

The site I used originally was http://www.shaded-relief.com/, but it's been down for several months now and it doesn't look like they're in any hurry to get it working again. However, I've found another site, http://www.maps-for-free.com/, which I've been using. I have just been using Photoshop to stitch them together. It is lots of work, more than it seems, and it's also challenging on my computer's resources (my current main file is 6300 * 5400 px, and has maybe 100 layers. It brings my computer to its knees).

I have been redoing my maps to include elevation, which makes it more detailed, but the increased details makes it much harder to splice together maps. Here is a sample of the same region in my updated map.
Attachments
himmamap2.jpg
himmamap2.jpg (179.56 KiB) Viewed 24821 times

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

This whole project, the script, the map, just ROCKS AND ROLLS!!! But I am repeating myself. I just don't know what else to say about this.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

GrinningManiac
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GrinningManiac »

Nice!

Is there an area beyond the mapped area where you know what's there (roughly) or is there a "Terra Incognita"?

HandsomeRob
Lebom
Lebom

Post by HandsomeRob »

That had better be a lake on the west edge of the map, and not an ocean, otherwise you are in big trouble.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

It is a lake, Kwamen Lake. It features in that historical account higher up in on page. And the rectangle at the bottom left is incomplete map, not a square lake.

WeepingElf, thank you, I'm glad you like it.

HandsomeRob
Lebom
Lebom

Post by HandsomeRob »

clawgrip wrote:It is a lake, Kwamen Lake. It features in that historical account higher up in on page.
I figured it was, I just wanted to make sure you were sure of it. Good job on the map, by the way.

GrinningManiac
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GrinningManiac »

Why would an ocean have been bad? I know nothing about this stuff - it's interesting

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Just about all of the rivers are leading in the opposite direction of the lake, and the colour indicates a decrease in elevation as you head toward the right, which would require some pretty weird and unlikely geography if the lake were actually an ocean. Specifically, it would require high elevation at the edge of the ocean that gradually lowers as you go inland. Since there are no cliffs visible at the edge (only whitish artifacts that are a result of this map still being a WIP), that would mean that the ocean was flowing into the continent via the river, or that the river was flowing uphill into the ocean, neither of which makes sense.

Also I noticed the river disappears right where it comes out of the lake. I'll have to fix that. Also those rivers at the northeastern shore of the lake, where two different maps are being merged, need to be adjusted as well. As I said, this is still a WIP.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I cleaned up the vowel organization and made it more compact and presentable. This is probably the clearest they can be organized.